Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Going Cheat-Free!

Hello to all my fellow simmers!

Normally, I do end up using the cheat "motherlode" for more money. It isn't necessarily for my sims, I just usually can't STAND to see their houses all cheap looking. :?

So I decided to try a family, perhaps just starting with one young adult, without using this very handy money-cheat. And my question would be, are there any tips you'd give me, such as how to keep them happy on cheap items or what things to upgrade first once the money starts to roll in?

Thanks in advance to all those non-cheaters, and just thinking about the ordeal I'm about to go through..I applaud you sincerely for not using cheat codes in your day-to-day simming.

Thank you all!

Comments

• mad729ifumad729ifu Posts: 329 New Member
    edited August 2009
    pretty much like playing the legacy challenge?

i'm usually the same way, i always use motherlode. but i'm playing a legacy family now, and their house is huge, finally haha.

they can go around town to do things like watch tv and use a computer, etc. :)=]

Edit: whenever my sim got bored and had nothing "fun" to do at his house, i always sent him to the neighbors :D=]
  • SimmerStinaSimmerStina Posts: 90 New Member
    edited August 2009
    mad729ifu,

Hmm, I guess that does make sense doesn't it? I will certainly do that! :mrgreen:

Thanks for your help, good luck with your legacy challenge, and I do say, I love your sig :D
  • DebbieGCDebbieGC Posts: 288 Member
    edited August 2009
    Cheap money-making thing to buy: An art easel! Seriously, get your sim to paint like mad and they will get all kinds of money through selling the paintings and opportunities.

My sim just painted 10 paintings for the business office building and received $158,000 and some change!
  • muddypaws4167muddypaws4167 Posts: 2,108 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Fish and garden and sell those things back to the grocery store. My kids love to play with the baseball and football i put in their backpacks. The library has computers and books as well as a playtable for the kids. If you go the Grill-a-thon but dont cook, you can feed the family for free- likewise you can eat from someone elses picnic basket. Frugal traited Sims can use computer or newspaper to cut coupons too. Have fun! Edit: almost forgot-- put a teddy bear in the kids backpacks so when they sleep they get the "cuddle time" icon- too cute.
  • EmmehEmmeh Posts: 85 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Making small houses to start out with is a good idea. I suggest building your bathroom 3x3 and your bedroom 4x4. Cheap objects don't look so bad if you colour coordinate them, and to keep your sims happy just put some paintings in the main rooms they walk through.
  • TyrantosaurTyrantosaur Posts: 108 New Member
    edited August 2009
    dont bother getting a computer at first. get the bare minimum (bed, fridge, oven, toilet, shower) and i would then suggest a sofa and, depending on how much money you have left, a tv. dont get the worst tv, get one of the ones where you can start to get loads of channels so that you can learn different skills whilst raising your fun.
    the next item to upgrade would be a bed in my opinion. it means your sims spend less time sleeping and so they have more time to do more useful things. also, depending on their jobs you might want to buy something to help them advance in the skills they need for it, like a bookshelf.
  • MeestorMarkMeestorMark Posts: 865 Member
    edited August 2009
    I usually upgrade/spend on a quality bed first. So my sim can spend less time sleeping and get a good night's rest. Then I spend on a high end fridge and stove combo to get the good meal moodlets and avoid the bad ones from the cheap kitchen appliances.

As for getting good decorated moodlets on the cheap, it is all about collecting in the early stages for me. Those rare and uncommon, beetles, butterflies, gems, minerals filling up your space in your house can add up to great decorated bonuses. It usually doesn't take too long for me to have all of my rooms and most used outside areas to have beautifully decorated moodlets. Of course you have to spend a little to get gems cut and minerals smelted. Brilliant and masterpiece paintings your sims make also give good decoration bonuses without spending any money if you hang them on the walls.
  • TyrantosaurTyrantosaur Posts: 108 New Member
    edited August 2009
    DebbieGC wrote:
    Cheap money-making thing to buy: An art easel! Seriously, get your sim to paint like mad and they will get all kinds of money through selling the paintings and opportunities.

My sim just painted 10 paintings for the business office building and received $158,000 and some change!

yes! painting is a good thing to do. you should paint a load of small paintings until your skills level goes right up. this will make it so you get the painting reward which makes you paint a lot faster so you can bring in the money a lot faster.
    also, once you get enough money, buy a computer and start writing like mad. write all the time until their mood is in a terrible way. after a couple of weeks you will be making thousands a week. i have had one guy making something like 60 thousand a week from writing.
  • buddycheadbuddychead Posts: 2,223 Member
    edited August 2009
    Its really hard i have quit using cheats expet in dire situations.
    edited August 2009
    Wow, overload! Thank you all so much! I'm going to make a list of stuff, compiling all your hints and info for me. Thank you again! It seems possible now hah! :D

Happy Simming!!
    edited August 2009
    There is no dire situation in this Barbie-SIMulation game!
  • DigitalSporkDigitalSpork Posts: 122 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Aren't you just ambitious?

I'd recommend that you perhaps turn aging off for a while and give your sims a while to get near the top of their career. You'll have more money than you'll know what to do with! Or, if you don't like the idea of turning aging off, you could get a guitar, and play for tips once you reach level five. It's an excellent way to make money and the higher your skill is, the bigger your tips are!
  • koalaman55koalaman55 Posts: 11 New Member
    edited August 2009
    plz give my egg clicks he has 5 days too live

[code]j3kb.gif
  • MeestorMarkMeestorMark Posts: 865 Member
    edited August 2009
    Playing for tips also gets you friends eventually while you are playing too.
    edited August 2009

I'd recommend that you perhaps turn aging off for a while and give your sims a while to get near the top of their career. You'll have more money than you'll know what to do with! Or, if you don't like the idea of turning aging off, you could get a guitar, and play for tips once you reach level five. It's an excellent way to make money and the higher your skill is, the bigger your tips are!

This is also a valid idea. I LOVE the idea of aging off..though I am trying not to use cheats, I cannot bare to see my poor beautiful sims get old and eventually leave me forever.. :( (unless they become ghosts, that is. :lol: ) However, the guitar tip is good too. Thank you!
    edited August 2009
    nother egg
    evU5.gif
  • UserSam7823UserSam7823 Posts: 404 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I used to use it in TS2, but now i havn't used it once! I think it's more enjoyable. :-o
    edited August 2009
    :mrgreen: heres another egg that needs hatching

f5Gc.gif
    edited August 2009

This is also a valid idea. I LOVE the idea of aging off..though I am trying not to use cheats, I cannot bare to see my poor beautiful sims get old and eventually leave me forever.. :( (unless they become ghosts, that is. :lol: ) However, the guitar tip is good too. Thank you!

Aging off is not a cheat anymore (IMO). It is in the options menu...
    edited August 2009
    DebbieGC wrote:

Aging off is not a cheat anymore (IMO). It is in the options menu...

I am aware of this, and love that it isn't anymore. I feel less guilty using it! 8) Thanks for the thoughtful info, though.

Happy simming, everyone!
  • SelahFreeAtLastSelahFreeAtLast Posts: 5,102 Member
    edited August 2009
    This is what I did and am still doing with my current sim. I started playing on epic lifespan but today I turned it down to long.
    I put her in a cheap house. I sold the fridge, stove, exterior paint. Basically, I sold everything she could live without. I sent her to lots where she could harvest veggies to eat from her inventory. I got her a job. I send her collecting on a regular basis. I sent her to the gym one time to get her athletic up enough to be able to jog everywhere. It seems the better the athletic skill the less she has to pee and eat. I always have her jog without breaking a sweat so she doesn't have to bathe so often. She went to the library to read books to help with her skills. She is now at the top of the business career, rides around in a limosine, has more friends than I can count. She is still upgrading her house everytime she has enough money. She now has very nice furnishings. I don't buy too much for the house at one time because everytime I buy something new she gets the new stuff moodlet.
    I saved the reward points until she was able to get the steel bladder, dirt defiant, hardly hungry, and fast learner rewards. I have not pushed her to learn the skills.I just have her do whatever I am in the mood for at the time. She is now at 7 athletic, 9 charisma, 5 cooking, 6 fishing, 2 gardening, 7 guitar, 2 handy, 2 logic, 3 painting. I did have her go take classes when she had the money and buy recipes and music.
    I have had a lot of fun with this one. She only has to work 3 days a week now and only three hours on those days.
    If the rewards are considered cheats then I guess I am cheating but I see them as rewards for fulfilling her wants.
    She has also had romantic involvement with Gunther Goth, Nick Alto, dunstin Langerak, Thornton Wolff and working on Hank Goddard.

EDIT: She still has 20 something days left as a young adult.
    ID selahfreeatlast @deema316 on twitter
  • debakadeb1debakadeb1 Posts: 88 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I think it is really important when you aren't doing money cheats to choose your traits carefully. Fishing and gardening go well together, especially with the cooking career or the science career. If going for science, the genius trait with those two work pretty well. Choose a very nice lot, then build a small home -- they will like it because of the lot.
  • evillttlimpevillttlimp Posts: 199 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I never cheat in TS3. I guess I'm just weird.
  • 45rpm45rpm Posts: 2,606 Member
    edited August 2009
    I have one game I dont cheat in and I have them on long lifes
    The only thing I don t like about not cheating at all is they always
    seem to be working sleeping or eating and nothing much else.
    But it is a challenge.
    I cant wait until i build up those points so they can start getting more perks.
  • debra1970pdebra1970p Posts: 4,652 Member
    edited August 2009
    collecting metals and gems are good for quick cash. rummaging through trash can also be rewarding.