Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Game Update News from the Sims 3 Team

Comments

• Pirategirl952Pirategirl952 Posts: 108 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Natilee wrote:
    Single parents go no longer have babies? Im a single mother and that is offensive! is there a way to choose what part of the update i download or do i have to just not update at all?
    A lot of people are misunderstanding this. Single sims can still have babies, but unlike before these babies will have TWO PARENTS.
  • sims3sandrasims3sandra Posts: 150 Member
    edited August 2009
    babajayne wrote:
    babajayne wrote:
    p.s. I wish this thread didn't have 80 people freaking out about things that aren't even an issue... like apples/watermelon and single parents. Going back to TSR now. :)

Nothing? Try and play a household with four toddlers and three adults when you cannot even queue actions properly, because you have to tell everyone in which room the shower or the bookshelf is. My game is more pausing than running since I installed the patch.
    I envy everyone who got an error message and cannot install that update.
    I thought by now EA would have given us ANY answer here on the forums to let us know they will fix it soon or a way how we can deal with those problems. Seems they crashed the game for a lot of people and don't even care. :(
    Did you even finish reading what I wrote? :oops:

Nah, you actually have a real problem. I was referring to the people who were upset that they couldn't have a single mom anymore, because they misunderstood the update - or people who want to influence the gender of their baby who can still do that with plain old apples and watermelon, but they're freaking out anyway because "prepared foods" was not clear enough.

I'm sorry you're having trouble, I only see one or two other people with that problem so far but I sure hope it's not going to spread. Is it just that family that's bugged or does it happen no matter what family you're playing?

I was hoping that it was just one family.... I had just moved them to a new house... so thought it might be the house.... So I went to another family and I had the same problem... What is weird is that it doesn't happen with every action... If the Sim has a clear path to the fridge, it will go to the fridge, but if the Sim is in a location where it has to go around a corner to get to something, then it freaks that it is blocked in... very, very strange......
  • Rad6380Rad6380 Posts: 251 Member
    edited August 2009
    Hmmm. I had no problems with the last patch, but with this one a few things have emerged: I am getting stripes on characters' faces when I didn't before (something the patch was meant to fix, not put in!), I have a maid permanently stuck in the lounge, but worst of all, dead sims' graves don't turn up in the cemetery now. I'm a bit gutted about this because I was putting the graves of Sims my family were friends with in the graveyard, and I was trying to collect all the graves of my Legacy family, but everyone who's died since patch install (including members of my fmaily living on other lots) hasn't had a grave.
  • Rellli7Rellli7 Posts: 2 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I have a definite crash issue with this patch, I even tried to reinstall and restart with no custom content or mods and it still crashed. Now I've reinstalled a second time without installing the patch and I can't get the items that I purchased in the EA store to reinstall after downloading into the launcher. Now I'm fishing through the system to see if there are some residual files hidden somewhere, if I can't resolve it I will have to recover my computer all together and start from scratch :x
    edited August 2009
    My Sims make it to the schoolbus/carpool -- finally, after me directing them through the house/yard to get to it... they get on the bus/car... then the bus/car sits there through the whole day... while other cars come and go... then finally they get back out of the bus/car when it is time for them to arrive back home... The schoolchild that has spent the whole day sitting in the bus in front of the house... is now penalized for 'missing school'.... AAARRRGGGHHH!!! I do so wish that the new patch wouldn't have loaded to my game -- I will not load another one.... This is so aggravating... How could they have not seen this when testing the patch??? Did they not have anyone play the game at all???!!!
  • kasmar45kasmar45 Posts: 21 Member
    edited August 2009
    This certainly is very strange. While some people seem to be having all sorts of problems, others are running just fine. My sims will run from room to room without a problem. They sleep in their own beds, without direction, they cook if they are hungry and I don't direct them. Unlike the poster above they will run from the house to catch their carpool or school bus. So, for me and it sounds like a majority of others, the patched client is working just fine. So, what makes it not work okay for some other players??

Since the software is the same, or at least it should be if as other players say, they are not modded, then it cannot be the software. We are all running the same software and identical software has to work the same in all cases. That leaves the hardware and here there can be a multitude of different configurations. Hardware configurations can affect how the software performs on any one system. One of the major hardware items that can affect how software performs is memory. EA recommend 1.5 gig of ram. That would be a minimum configuration. The Sims 3 uses a very large amount of ram and of course, the more objects you load into your game the more ram you are going to use. While you have the game running hit the CTRL, ALT, Del key. This will bring up the task manager. Check the Task Manager for the amount of CPU and Ram you are using. I bet you will find you are very close to the max ram your system has. If you are running a 32 bit machine you can only use 2 gig. If you are close to your max then you should try lowering your graphic parameters in the options screen.

It can't hurt to try and you may find your game runs much better. And for sure, turn off anti aliasing. It is one of the worst memory hogs. You will get some jagged edges, but your game will run much better.
  • blckbusterchicblckbusterchic Posts: 10 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Actually, I think the people who aren't having any problems are in the minority. :?:
  • pandora4copandora4co Posts: 729 Member
    edited August 2009
    While I can see how it would seem that the majority of people are having problems just based on the responses of this thread consider this..

How many people will take the time to seak out this forum, just to report that everything is great? People are much more likely to seek out this website and forum for help if they have an issue rather than if every thing is fine. Which can easily make it look like everyone is having problems, where instead the reality is that we are just not hearing from the hundreds of thousands who are not having issues at all.

I personally did not have any problems intalling or after the patch installed with game play. The patch has done everything it promised for me. And I am running my game with Mods and CC.

I really feel for those who are having problems. I have had problems with past Sims 2 patches that have cause me to have to reinstall everthing and I know how agonizing it is when you want to play, and are having major problems. Perhaps posting in the technical help section would get a better result.. I don't know.

I am dissapointed that the music and inventory issues were not resolved but since we have had two patches in two months I am hopeful that these will be resolved as well.
  • AlyssumCandyAlyssumCandy Posts: 1,049 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I'm sooo happy about the changes!!! Especially the Story Progression changes!

One Problem: I can't install the patch! :!:
    I have automatic updates so when i go to the launcher it pops up and asks me if i want to update my game. i click ok, the pop-up and game launcher disapear, and that's it. I've tried it every-which-way i can think of and still nothing. :(

If anybody could help me out it would be much apriciated! :)

I can't install the patch either...
  • Dooglers8Dooglers8 Posts: 716 New Member
    edited August 2009
    My game seems slower now, and there's issues where the music will loop once or twice in a song. My sims also seem whinier! :x
  • Uroica69Uroica69 Posts: 30 Member
    edited August 2009

I can certainly understand why people would want some families protected and not be removed through story progression. However, EA took this way too far, in my opinion. I always add families to my neighborhood that are SUPPOSED to be governed by story progression. That's part of the fun of the living neighborhood - for me.

I have reinstalled my game, and of course, saved games that were opened after the patch was installed had to be removed, so I have been forced to start from scratch! Weeks of planning, play time and effort just went right down the tubes! I am certainly willing to accept the blame for not reading the description before installing the patch, but I won't make the same mistake twice! I won't install this latest patch for any amount of money! I prepaid for my game and then had to wait an extra FOUR months to get it - and now this!

I love the Sims, and always will, but I think EA needs to start listening and not jump from one extreme to another! They are leaving a very bad taste in my mouth while I play the game I have loved since the original!

I am currently running my game with no patches at all, and only a mosaic removing mod and everything works great - I will continue this way until EA decides that they can reach a happy medium. I'm sure it's possible, and with all the hype this game got, one would think that EA would want to keep their addicts happy!
  • UserSam7823UserSam7823 Posts: 404 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Uroica69 wrote:

I can certainly understand why people would want some families protected and not be removed through story progression. However, EA took this way too far, in my opinion. I always add families to my neighborhood that are SUPPOSED to be governed by story progression. That's part of the fun of the living neighborhood - for me.
    quote]

I like my sims living with Story Progression too, but from what i understand it just stops Sims you've played from moving away and random babies being spawned into houses of single sims without fathers/mothers.
  • Uroica69Uroica69 Posts: 30 Member
    edited August 2009
    Uroica69 wrote:

quote]

I like my sims living with Story Progression too, but from what i understand it just stops Sims you've played from moving away and random babies being spawned into houses of single sims without fathers/mothers.

When I enter half a dozen houses before creating my main, playable family though, it will definitely cause me some problems. I simply do not want all the sims I have controlled to stick around forever. And when my family-oriented sim wants to have 10 kids, I would like some of those kids to be removed through story progression ... having a neighborhood full of relations isn't really what I want. I'm just saying that there MUST be some way for EA to reach a happy medium. I've seen lots of suggestions that don't sound unreasonable, or impossible to implement ... and then we could ALL be happy! :-)
  • UserSam7823UserSam7823 Posts: 404 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Uroica69 wrote:
    Uroica69 wrote:

quote]

When I enter half a dozen houses before creating my main, playable family though, it will definitely cause me some problems. I simply do not want all the sims I have controlled to stick around forever. And when my family-oriented sim wants to have 10 kids, I would like some of those kids to be removed through story progression ... having a neighborhood full of relations isn't really what I want. I'm just saying that there MUST be some way for EA to reach a happy medium. I've seen lots of suggestions that don't sound unreasonable, or impossible to implement ... and then we could ALL be happy! :-)

I can understand that, i do the same thing. But they will eventually die off and new people will move in.
  • JeffreyCorJeffreyCor Posts: 114 Member
    edited August 2009
    Uroica69 wrote:
    Uroica69 wrote:

quote]

I can understand that, i do the same thing. But they will eventually die off and new people will move in.

that is the problem right there, with the changes anounced in 1.3 they WON'T die off and new people move it. They are all 'protected' to stick around forever. What we want is what you said, and the way it used to be.
  • squeaker188squeaker188 Posts: 14 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I know I'm probably a little late to the game here, but I just installed the update tonight and am NOT please about not being able to "Try for Baby" with the grim reaper anymore.
  • yannigeeyannigee Posts: 8 New Member
    edited August 2009
    the updates are great, although i hadnt experienced hardly any of the things that were to be fixed. But I really wish that single parents were still having kids because that does happen in the real world and also. It kept the neighorhood full. Now the neighborhood is full of elders and they are dying, therefore a vacant neighorhood. I used to love reading the paper seeing the new families coming to town, or new babies that were born. Now its just my family and grandmas and grandpas. ughh. please bring it back
    edited August 2009
    JeffreyCor wrote:
    Uroica69 wrote:
    Uroica69 wrote:

quote]

that is the problem right there, with the changes anounced in 1.3 they WON'T die off and new people move it. They are all 'protected' to stick around forever. What we want is what you said, and the way it used to be.
    They WILL still die, of old age, if aging is on...
  • Cndy20009Cndy20009 Posts: 434 Member
    edited August 2009
    Well, as for no longer selecting sheet music from bookshelves to read, that's great.

However, what about the Sims who have already done so before the patch? My Sim has done that, and she still cannot learn nor play the song!

What about, in the next update, making Sims who have made that mistake already able to perform the songs (and their additional tracks listed in that sheet music book)?

Thanks,

cindybubbles
  • SpynnalSpynnal Posts: 2 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I do NOT want the families I have created, or controlled, "protected"!! I want them to go about their lives, in the LIVING NEIGHBORHOOD the game promised me!!! Once I send a created sim into the neighborhood to live, I want them to behave as an NPC sim! To me, this was a FEATURE to the game, not a drawback.

Agreed.

I like to raise a large family, have most move out, and keep control of a main character, all the while, watching how the rest of the family evolves out on their own. Now impossible, no?

Also, it seems pretty straight forward that some people might like to create and populate every house in the neighborhood with created npc's, and also watch them evolve, which is now also impossible?

Really crushes story progression in the other direction.

You need a fast patch that gives individual control to mark the households to include/exclude, but the patch seems to have upset as many people as the correction pleased.

• coolguy90731coolguy90731 Posts: 137 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Spynnal wrote:
    I do NOT want the families I have created, or controlled, "protected"!! I want them to go about their lives, in the LIVING NEIGHBORHOOD the game promised me!!! Once I send a created sim into the neighborhood to live, I want them to behave as an NPC sim! To me, this was a FEATURE to the game, not a drawback.

Agreed.

I like to raise a large family, have most move out, and keep control of a main character, all the while, watching how the rest of the family evolves out on their own. Now impossible, no?

Also, it seems pretty straight forward that some people might like to create and populate every house in the neighborhood with created npc's, and also watch them evolve, which is now also impossible?

You need a fast patch that gives individual control to mark the households to include/exclude, but the patch seems to have upset as many people as the correction pleased.

I actually think that fewer people were pleased than anything. A lot of people wanted better SP control, but EA didn't listen to what we actually WANTED when patching this in, so some people wanting SP fixes are also disappointed.

Perhaps in the next patch they will do better.

And maybe, just maybe, it won't cause all sorts of problems and everyone will be able to and want to download and patch.
  • WhitetigerzWhitetigerz Posts: 1,838 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I posted the issues I am having on technical board, but this also seems like a good place to post it. Maybe get the patchers to be smarter and fix these issues. Before the patch, the only issue I had was 2 Sims getting stuck, not to hard to fix wit that one cheat thing, and my stereos refusing to make any music at all.

After the patch, I was perfectly fine for awhile, besides the music issue. But, I wanted to create a new family of two. Then suddenly issues started popping up. The chick refuses to use the carpool, the button to send her to work doesn't work, if I get her to work then she doesn't carpool home and just talks to herself, then one night she was at work for about 24 hours and never was let out to I clicked to send her home. My maids have grown dumb. They stand around doing nothing then start doing stuff and stop midway through and leave. A mailman invited to hang out never left. I killed him to finally get rid of him. When he turned into a ghost. His ghost said he had to go home. Now, the chick refuses to go to bed unless told. She lets her hunger get to red before eating. She also seems to always be in red. She is slightly tired and just had a good meal as her moodlets and she is pure red in mood. I debated if she was the issue and the maids.I was one the verge of debating to kill her. Then, the guy started acting odd. He now no longer goes to sleep without being told unless he is very tired. After work, he stays at the lot and does nothing. All of the above are not stopping. Even after restarting and such. They vanish for a little bit then come back like some disease.

Issues that happened then went away after restarting was 1) My guy ringed the door bell, wasn't invited in, went back home, and he then was stuck off and one waiting outside as his action. 2) Agnes Crumplebottom was being a pain in the side, insulted both of my sims, locked her in a small box with walls, she lived for over 5 days without food and was working on 6 days, checked on her to see her stuck in a never-ending cycle of phone calls.

Then, my 2nd family, I only have 3 families/neighborhoods, in a seperate neighborhood developed a issue. The ghosts in their lot will give the " I need to go home messages" when a neighbor/friend leaves to go home. I had someone over and they decided to leave asoon after the ghosts came up. 3 of the ghosts then made a message they had to go home and left my lot and disappeared in the middle of nowhere. They do this anytime someone goes home now. I swear, it's like this patch is slowly undermining everything else. Those without issues may of not been affected yet somehow, like I was for awhile? Like glitch triggers that you got to activate.
    edited August 2009
    I don't know if this is a glitch, or if it's related to the patch... But my sims seem to have a surplus of friends. I left one of my families for a little while, (love the story progression fix btw, I don't see how anyone could want their sims to be spawning babies and moving out randomly, but that's just me) came back and noticed they had tons of friends... And this is by no means a bad thing, but it just struck me as odd they could make so many in a short time.
  • McWolfMcWolf Posts: 392 Member
    edited August 2009
    Spynnal wrote:

Agreed.

Wow. Did you even read what SimGuruLyndsay said?

"Fixes to Story Progression. Babies will no longer be born to single parents. Player created or controlled households are now "protected" and will no longer be removed through "Story Progression." Warning: Story Progression will no longer remove previously player controlled Sims. Users who take control of too many Sims in the same game may experience poor performance as the neighborhood can become over populated."

This doesn't mean the protected user created families are cut off from story progression, it means they just can't be moved out the neighbourhood and deleted on their own. This upsetted many players, so it is in fact an improvement. Personally, I wouldn't like my own Sims to disappear without me knowing or deciding. That's why I downloaded the awesomemod before this patch to stop them. (Then again, this patch caused my game to crash after start-up so I can't even play, so it doesn't even matter to me just now).
    edited August 2009
    I totally removed my Sims3 game -- I couldn't get people to find their way to work, to school... when I finally got them on the bus or in the car -- they just set there the whole work/schoolday until time to get back home.... Fortunately, uninstalling the game worked... I really held my breath on it... but once I reloaded the game and applied the new patch... all of my sims behave normally now -- at least as far as I can tell... I can use the community map and tell the Sim to go to the store -- and they do... it is so nice to be able to play my game again... One additional note -- when I did the uninstall from EA -- it didn't work -- so I had to do the manual uninstall -- from the technical forum... I was glad that they had step by step instructions....