Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Legacy Challenge Rules

Comments

• Paincool9Paincool9 Posts: 20 New Member
    edited July 2009
    aupdike50 wrote:
    I was in near tears when my founder and her husband died :cry:...they lived VERY long lives though...and were very fulfilled...but it was SO sad...I'm used to playing the same sims at all times, Sims 2 and Sims 3...I just have them drink the life juice or eat ambrosia, and keep having kids...so this Legacy thing was really hard. I get attached to my Sims, lol. It was so sad. I was actually a lil depressed the rest of the evening when my sims died. LOL. Now, I could care less and if they won't die soon enough...I kill them off to make room for spares and new babies, lol. :twisted: I really had hoped with this new game they would have allowed more than 8 Sims in a household though...I could easily handle 12 - 15. Bummer.

In ts2 I really didn't care for my sims. I'd often hope they'd die, cause I'm so evil, lol. =D.

But now in ts3 to me they seem to alive to have them die. I mean shes only my founders wife but I dread her getting older.

'12 - 15' WOW I can hardly handle 5, I did once manage to have up tp 17 sims on in my family at one time in ts2 and they all lived long fruitful lives. Lol don't know how when I struggle at the best of times with a couple and a toddler.

~Pc9~
  • Rad6380Rad6380 Posts: 251 Member
    edited July 2009
    Anyone else have favourite generations or favourite members of those generations? My founder was great, then Gen 2 were very useful at raising kids (5 between the heir and the spare/mate I didn't move out), working, being skilled and pretty much everything. My Gen 2 heir was alright but after he got divorced he was a bit boring, but I utterly adored my Gen 2 spare and her husband (mainly because they attended to the children without prompting and basically raised gen 3 and 4) and was so upset when they died, even though they were 110 and 119 (though I was willing my spare's husband to die by the end - gen 2-5 were all in the same house and I wanted to expand the family with new mates or children).

With Gen 3, they've been good at LTWs etc but a bit boring in terms of 'events'. Gen 4 so far are very interesting as characters... but not too good at jobs, child-raising, cooking or anything vaguely useful. (My Gen 4 heir's wife is doing a lot of child-rearing, but she's no good at anything else). My Gen 4 spare only has a part-time job and he still whinges all the time instead of getting on with his LTW, helping out around the house or getting on with finding a mate. My Gen 4 heir also has a lot of drama going on... but you'll have to wait until I blog that to find out what...

Gen 3 were great for point-scoring but a bit dull to blog... I'm thinking Gen 4 will be a bit more interesting to blog but their slackness at everything will probably make for a difficult Gen 5....

Oh, and if you think the legacy rules are hard, try playing an Apocalypse legacy! I'm just starting with mine (the first baby has been born this evening) and it's really tough - playing a normal legacy afterwards felt very weird as there was so much freedom!
  • nurse11031nurse11031 Posts: 1,756 New Member
    edited July 2009
    My heir married a ghost and had babies with her. The rules say that ghost babies do not count in the blood line. Does this mean babies that are ghosts or does this mean any of the ghost children can not be blood lines. 2 of her children are ghost and two are not!
    edited July 2009
    Best check with Pinstar (or see if it's been answered earlier in the thread?) but I always assumed mating with a ghost was off-limits as far as points were concerned...
  • SuperBucketSuperBucket Posts: 13 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Chapter Twelve of the Delf Legacy: http://thedelflegacy.webs.com/apps/blog/show/1480766-chapter-twelve

the site: http://thedelflegacy.webs.com
    the Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/TheDelfLegacy

put a link to your legacy in the guestbook and i'll be sure to check it out :)
  • Marit_WateryMarit_Watery Posts: 302 Member
    edited July 2009
    I love this challenge, although I have never completed one in Sims2 because I tried to age all the spares up together with the heir(s). In the 2nd genreation were 5 kids which had in total 20 kids for the 3rd generation, so I just couldn't keep up anymore.
    Now that Sims3 will age the sims that I have to move out I might be able to complete this challenge. But I am not going for points.
    I also play with the family trait (artistic) and the matriarchy. And I have chosen one modification to the challenge. Every Sim in the legacy household will be allowed to re-roll one trait, if that rolled trait doesn't fit in the overall personality (from my perspective of course). So for example my 2nd Gen heir was a perfectionist, artistic and easily impressed sim, when she rolled neurotic, and I din't see her as neurotic at all, so I pressed the random button again, and out came absent-minded. I can live with that, so I kept that. :wink:
    Now I also have the problem with traits not being available after a birthday, my 2nd Gen heir is close to becoming adult and still only has 4 traits. Could anyone explain to me how the cheat works to get the last trait please? I have used the midlife crisis perk on the spare, but my heir really needs those points for other things. Thanks to anyone who can help me out. :thumbup:
  • WoWLynniaWoWLynnia Posts: 2,715 Member
    edited July 2009
    I love this challenge, although I have never completed one in Sims2 because I tried to age all the spares up together with the heir(s). In the 2nd genreation were 5 kids which had in total 20 kids for the 3rd generation, so I just couldn't keep up anymore.
    Now that Sims3 will age the sims that I have to move out I might be able to complete this challenge. But I am not going for points.
    I also play with the family trait (artistic) and the matriarchy. And I have chosen one modification to the challenge. Every Sim in the legacy household will be allowed to re-roll one trait, if that rolled trait doesn't fit in the overall personality (from my perspective of course). So for example my 2nd Gen heir was a perfectionist, artistic and easily impressed sim, when she rolled neurotic, and I din't see her as neurotic at all, so I pressed the random button again, and out came absent-minded. I can live with that, so I kept that. :wink:
    Now I also have the problem with traits not being available after a birthday, my 2nd Gen heir is close to becoming adult and still only has 4 traits. Could anyone explain to me how the cheat works to get the last trait please? I have used the midlife crisis perk on the spare, but my heir really needs those points for other things. Thanks to anyone who can help me out. :thumbup:

- Open the cheats window (Shift+Ctrl+C)
    - type in "testingcheatsenabled true", minus the quotations
    - hit enter, make the sim you want to change the traits of the active sim
    - Shift+click on that sim and you'll see an option to modify active sim's traits

from there, you can hit the randomize button just like you usually would, or select a trait for the sim.
  • WoWLynniaWoWLynnia Posts: 2,715 Member
    edited July 2009
    Pinstar1161 I wanted to let you know that I did a revised sort of rules for the challenge. I love the concept but there were things I changed to make it more fun for me. I posted them here http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/78281.page#772962 I gave you creidt for the idea of course and wanted to make sure this was ok with you. If not I'll edit and get rid of the post. But I wanted to share in case anyone else wanted an optional set of rules and point system that's a bit different.

Those arent bad. Nice set of Legacy "House Rules" if you will.

I'm actually running a different trait rule in my game, in that I pick every trait of my sims, provided that that its genetically possible. IE; You can only pick traits that someone in the bloodline previously had. Like DNA coding, traits can skip generations. And if any set of parents have any matching traits, thier kids will ALWAYs have that trait.

Thanks, I was kinda of trying to go for something with a bit more flexibility. Make it a bit more fun but still a challenge.

When I choose personality traits for my children, they are randomized in a specific way. For each, a random number generator is used to select a number between 1 and 5. If the numbers 1 or 4 are chosen, the sibling will receive one of Mom’s traits, which are then randomized again between the numbers of 1 and 5, and the trait is given to the child in the order corresponding to Mom’s traits as they are listed on her panel in-game. If the numbers 2 or 5 are chosen, the sibling will receive one of Dad’s traits, which are also then randomized again between the numbers of 1 and 5, and the trait is given to the child in the order corresponding to Dad’s traits as they are listed on his panel in-game. In either case, if the child has already received one of the selected parent’s traits, roll 1-4 between the remaining traits, and if they’ve already received two of the selected parent’s traits, roll 1-3 between the remaning traits, and so-on. If the number 3 is chosen during the first roll, the randomize trait button is used in-game to choose a random trait of all the traits in-game. This makes it more likely that the child will inherit one of their parent’s personality traits, but still possible for them to be wholey their own person. That's one of my little alterations to the actual legacy "rules"
  • justforgigglez2689justforgigglez2689 Posts: 15 New Member
    edited July 2009
    So...when you say that any Sim getting their lifetime want gives you a Legacy point, could a step-sim give you a legacy point in that respect? They're part of the family tree... I'm just checking.
    edited July 2009
    So...when you say that any Sim getting their lifetime want gives you a Legacy point, could a step-sim give you a legacy point in that respect? They're part of the family tree... I'm just checking.

No - they have to be a biological desecendent of your founder, or the mate of one of those descendents.
  • giggles4bubblesgiggles4bubbles Posts: 35 Member
    edited August 2009
    quick question cause I don't feel like reading through 125 pages of posts.
    My Sims want fishing and I guess fished up a death flower or something like that. I didn't know, I was concentrating on another sim. My Sim that was fishing came home and started to fix the radio and died. While I was in shock (She had lvl 9 handy skills), she came back to life. A text bubble came up and said the grim reaper was happy for the flower.
    I didn't know she had it, and I try not to violate the rules. do I lose a point for it or is that fine.
  • veggiechipsveggiechips Posts: 56 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Question:
    If my founder's hubby died at their home and the family put the grave out in their yard, is it possible that he would visit his family in ghost form?
  • StormfeatherStormfeather Posts: 371 Member
    edited August 2009
    Question:
    If my founder's hubby died at their home and the family put the grave out in their yard, is it possible that he would visit his family in ghost form?

Yes, I've actually got about five or six different (non-playable) ghosts haunting my Legacy House at the moment. XD

Keep in mind though that they're non-controllable, and won't necessarily tend to act like the living person did.

(As for the previous post, about the death flower... I think probably Pinstar would have to make a call on how that's handled, but good luck with that. :/ My own thought would be that it's against the rules, since Pinstar's belatedly said that Death Flowers aren't to be used, but when it happens by accident I don't know how I'd say to handle it.)
  • orenjikittyorenjikitty Posts: 139 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Question:

Yes. He should appear between 11pm to about 6am.
    edited August 2009
    3 questions:

1. Can my sim who is trying to get the perfect garden plant both the life plant and the death flower and just sell them? He wont consume them but instead just sell what he grows.

2. My heir's(Nataniel) wife passed away and for my story, he refused to remarry. They only have one son(Christian) (playing with patriarchy) so would it be okay to use the spare's (Nate's brother Collin) son(Nyk) as a spare just in case something happens to Christian?

3. If a member of a rich family moves out on their own, can you still marry them even if they are considered rich? Said moved out sim only added 2000 simoleons into the family bank so I'm not sure if that's breaking the rules or not.
  • queenmoon555queenmoon555 Posts: 178 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I has over 9000 points.
    edited August 2009
    3 questions:

1. Can my sim who is trying to get the perfect garden plant both the life plant and the death flower and just sell them? He wont consume them but instead just sell what he grows.

I haven't seen anything against growing them, and have grown both myself. Just be especially careful that your Sims don't use them on their own (which happens automatically with the death flower if they would normally die of accident, or might happen with the life fruit, if they have it in their inventory and are hungry.)
    2. My heir's(Nataniel) wife passed away and for my story, he refused to remarry. They only have one son(Christian) (playing with patriarchy) so would it be okay to use the spare's (Nate's brother Collin) son(Nyk) as a spare just in case something happens to Christian?

A bit tricky... if the spare and his child were still in the house and hadn't moved out, then I'd say it's okay. The "Spare" would just retroactively become the Heir, and it'd go from there.

If they have moved out... like I said, tricky.
    3. If a member of a rich family moves out on their own, can you still marry them even if they are considered rich? Said moved out sim only added 2000 simoleons into the family bank so I'm not sure if that's breaking the rules or not.

The rules were changed so that only the Founder can't marry a rich sim. So if it's not your Founder, then go for it. If it <i>is</i> your Founder, it'd technically be against the rules, but whether or not you'd adhere to that rule is up to you. (Personally, the rich Sims rule is one of the ones I find most... unsatisfying, since it seems to be more about *how* rich the Sim is, and more importantly, whether or not they're the last person left in their household - if they are, they're probably going to bring a *ton* more money into your own household.)
    edited August 2009
    Keep in mind though that they're non-controllable, and won't necessarily tend to act like the living person did.

Mine tend to, though. My founder was athletic and got to the top of the sports track, and whenever she visits, she exercises. My second gen heir was musical and listens to music when he pops round, and my second gen spare was forever raising children and tends to go visit the rooms of the children (now adults) she helped raise and the 5th gen infants.

Re: selling deathflower and life fruit, yes, Pinstar said you could.

BTW - what do ambrosia, life fruit and the deathflower actually do? I haven't been playing on a normal game since I started challenges so I've never had the chance to use them.
  • ChessackChessack Posts: 227 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Death flowers are used if the Grim Reaper visits your Sim before their time of natural death (due to old age)... so like if they burn to death in a fire or something. I haven't seen it actually work but I believe if the Sim has a death flower in its inventory, it will offer the flower to the Reapster and he likes the flower so much he will take it instead of the Sim, causing it to escape an untimely death.

I am not sure about the others but I think they de-age the Sim.

But like you I have not ever used any of them...

C
  • AnengAneng Posts: 86 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I have banned myself from playing until my blog has caught up! I love playing the legacy challenge though my story telling skils leave alot to be desired or my Sims are just boring.

Keep an eye out as I am going to do a poll soon.
    edited August 2009
    Thanks Stormfeather! I really didn't know that the rules changed until recently so I was playing with the original posted rules form before.

The spare and his family are still on the lot (part of my story) so I plan on keeping his boys there. Same goes for the 3rd question. One of my founder's sons married a Goth so I guess it's okay.

Time to go repaint portraits...
    edited August 2009
    Thanks Stormfeather! I really didn't know that the rules changed until recently so I was playing with the original posted rules form before.

The spare and his family are still on the lot (part of my story) so I plan on keeping his boys there. Same goes for the 3rd question. One of my founder's sons married a Goth so I guess it's okay.

Time to go repaint portraits...

No problem. Just to let you know, Pinstar tends to change the rules on the front page with any changes (in bold text) so you should be able to scan them over to see what else has changed since you started or last looked at them. (For instance, I know it's been changed so that the "black market" restriction was lifted.)

And yeah, Founder's son marrying a rich Sim should be okay.
    edited August 2009
    Rad6380 wrote:

Mine tend to, though. My founder was athletic and got to the top of the sports track, and whenever she visits, she exercises. My second gen heir was musical and listens to music when he pops round, and my second gen spare was forever raising children and tends to go visit the rooms of the children (now adults) she helped raise and the 5th gen infants.

To some extent I guess mine do - the Athletic Sims for instance might work out once in a while - but really *most* of them tend to gravitate toward the computers and just sit and play all half the night, spending the other half the night sleeping if they can find a spot. And even the social-traited sim ghosts don't seem to interact of their own will with other ghosts or even living people (unless they're spoken to first)... so I guess it's a bit of each. They sorta act like they did when alive, but sorta don't.

From my experience, of course.
    BTW - what do ambrosia, life fruit and the deathflower actually do? I haven't been playing on a normal game since I started challenges so I've never had the chance to use them.

The deathflower has already been answered (and I haven't seen it used in person myself, so I can only say that's how I've heard it explained as well). Life fruit adds one day to a Sim's lifespan when eaten - or, more accurately, it removes one day of age from the Sim's current life. So if they're at 15 days until they reach full adulthood, and eat a life fruit, they'll be at 16 days until aging up.

Ambrosia is a lot like life fruit, but removes a whole bunch of days. I've seen it said that it takes the sim back to the start of their current age bracket, which is true to a point - they don't de-age from adult to teen, or anything. At the same time, it seems to remove even more days from the life span, so that you'll have for instance more days until you reach, say, elder than you would even when you first transition from young adult to adult.

Oh, and the ambrosia also gives you a really nice moodlet in the process, for like 3 days or so. I forget exactly, since I've just been playing the Legacy for a while and obviously haven't used it there.

Does that make sense?
  • aupdike50aupdike50 Posts: 22 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I have been cheating for a while, unbeknownst to me! Oops! My Sim had a Death Flower passed down from a previous generation...I assume...he's never grown anything?! Oh well...its now a family heirloom...I've decided since its been there all this time to keep it...it hasn't saved anyone from death, but it must have come from the founder...I seem to remember she grew one but I thought I sold it like I've been doing with the life fruit?? I noticed once in the first gen, I forgot to immediately sell life fruits and they inadvertently made pancakes with them...and I caught it when they were sitting down to eat "Life fruit pancakes" whew...close one...trashed em real quick and cleaned out the fridge/inventory and have been really careful since - except I overlooked the Death Flower probably a hundred times, checking inventory for Life Fruit, lol. Blindsided. I like to see how long they can live without, unless I kill them off. Its my first Legacy though, so I never expected to follow ALL the rules to a "T"...not knowing most of them...especially since my gene pool started going downhill and if it doesn't get any better soon, I may have to start cheating there by hitting the random button more than once or purposely adding a trait from mom or dad, even though I'm not playing by the Family Traits option.

My game would not save Thurs night, Error 13, never noticed until my boyfriend woke up and came to use my computer. We didn't have more than 5 min to try to save again, same error, so I left it running all day while at work Friday. Was hoping to research a fix and repair it at lunch. No go. Terrible storms, of course, came just before lunch and my computer was off, of course, when I got home from lunch. Go figure. :roll: Lost everything I had accomplished from 8:12pm Thurs until I went to bed Fri morn at about 1:35am...bummer. 2 kids had aged up, several opportunities had been completed, I think I had finished a portrait of a spare...dunno...cannot remember all that occurred. Crap, lol. Least I didn't lose the WHOLE family...

Now I'm curious about the young lady who claims to have 9000 points already. Is it even possible to get 100 points or much over, much less 9000 points in 10 generations? Without massive cheating, which cancels the point system?

As for those who have issues managing multiple Sims, try this - this is how it works for me. Choose a fav, or a sim low on LTW points (the active sims points will roll up as long you have them active - otherwise the only way is to fulfill wants, I think?), and then pause the game and fill everyones actions up to the max...starting with needs, in logical order, like use toilet, take shower, eat leftovers, tend garden, maybe fulfill a wish like make bed or clean house, pay the bills, call a friend, do homework, things in order by room - don't be chaotic by having them use toilet - eat dinner - take shower - clean dishes - having them run from one end to the other all the time, wearing them out. Try to do things in logical order, by current room and the next closest room. Then make the last action something long, like read a skill book, sleep, write a novel, etc....depending on what that sim needs to do for work, school, LTW, etc. With the game paused, you have all the time you need to review their wants, needs, oppotunities, etc. to decide on an "organized" list of tasks. Do this for all sims in the house and then go back to your "fav" sim, line him up, unpause and keep him active to watch him work and the others will do as commanded...just occasionally checkup on them...and don't forget to assign one/some to tend the baby(ies) needs, if you have any. Just line 'em up with LOTS of chores and tasks and they go about as told. MUCH easier this way...MUCH more manageable. I do this about once a day for all sims and life is much easier. I've just always played this way and never understood why folks talk about having a heard time with 3-5, of raising kids, except that I guess I'm bossy, lol, and this playstyle comes naturally...This is the only way I could easily handle 12-15. You still get your "moments" that you want to watch, just choose wisely and when you need to meet a new sim, fall in love, etc. "out of the ordinary household life" fulfillments, look at their schedules for school/work and plan ahead a day off of school/work to do these things and try to have them prepped the night before, in a good mood, and in bed at a reasonable hour to get up, call the sim and go - with all green moods. And take your time! No need to wipe your sims out in a rush to get skills maxed...it takes SO much longer when you have to constantly fill all their moodlets back up so they will be agreeable. Its kinda like that "gasoline" rumor we all know. If you fill the tank all the way up and refill at half a tank, rather than let it empty out, you will get better gas mileage. Remember this. And send your Sims to eat, potty, sleep, etc. when you "checkup" on the others (pause to checkup) and you notice 3 or more moods for any sim are below half - just cancel the long task(s), insert the needed tasks, add back the ones you cancelled - go back to your "fav" sim, unpause, and you will have much more productive sims who will get much more accomplished in a days time!

Its really as if you are only "managing" ONE sim this way, much less stressful, if you can effectively setup/micromanage the others - when paused - until you get the "fav" sim where he/she needs to be (promoted, married, all child teachings learned, etc.) and then you can switch "fav" sims to another in need of a major "upgrade" per se. Just choose wisely and don't have sims that have no cooking skill prepare meals when they are not the "fav" so no house fires break out, or they get shocked if they are tasked with repairs & no repair skills. You get the point I hope! Choose wisely and give them tasks they can handle & have them "upgrade" skills they need - not useless skills to that sims personality or LTW - as one of the long tasks. Remember - in a Legacy - all sims don't need to have all skills high, unless required by job to complete a LTW. If you have a house of 8, you need only 1 cook, 1 handy, 1 gardening, 1 painter, etc. Have the middle gen take over the older gens skills and skill up before they die, so they can replace them as the "cook" or "repairman", as well as pick & choose out of the youngest gen who will "takeover" which household main chores & slowly have them build those skills before reaching mid gen level, so you don't waste time teaching everyone the same skills all the time. In a Legacy its unnecessary to have all skills for all sims maxed out and it causes you to miss out on LTW points, portrait points, etc. Micromanage effectively. Before you know it, it will be a well-oiled machine! Good luck, hope this helps some of you!

Thank God for the pause button and multi-tasking options! Bravo to any who read this far...I'm very detailed and wordy! Sorry! :oops:

Happy Simming! :mrgreen:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • SuperBucketSuperBucket Posts: 13 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Chapter Thirteen of the Delf Legacy posted: http://thedelflegacy.webs.com/apps/blog/show/1489973-chapter-thirteen

the site: http://thedelflegacy.webs.com
    the Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/TheDelfLegacy

Founder died a couple chapters ago and now her husband just died. It's always strange when the elders pass and there's only one or two generations left living in the house.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top