Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sim of the Month Challenge: July!

Sim of the Month Challenge

Welcome to the second entry of the Sim of the Month Challenge!
What is the Sim of the Month Challenge?

Once per month, I will be uploading a new sim to my simpage. You will be given a very specific goal and a very specific set of restrictions unique to that month’s sim. You goal is to achieve the goal while obeying the restrictions in as few sim-days as possible.

Universal Rules
There are a set of rules and restrictions universal to all Sims posted for this challenge, but don’t worry, they are much fewer than the Legacy Challenge.

You may not purchase the “Mid-life crisis” perk to change the sim’s traits.
You may not merge households on the neighborhood level.
You may not move in/marry player made or downloaded sims. All other sims are fair game (unless specifically restricted by that month's sim)
No cheating (Money cheats, mood cheats, hacks that give you an advantage over those who do not have the hack)
You must obey the sim-specific restriction. Failing to do so means the challenge is failed.
You may use any aging speed you like. In fact you are encouraged to use epic speed if you want to keep a single neighborhood with all your past Sims of the Month. Story progression can be on or off at your discretion.

Customization
Awesomemod is allowed with this challenge, just be sure to turn off any aspects that affect jobs.
If you can't/don't want to download this month's sim from my simpage, you're more than welcome to re-make him or her in CAS. Even change their name and appearance if you wish. The important parts to replicate are the sim's age, gender, lifetime wish and traits.

Scoring
The only score for this and all Sims of the month will be speed. You will be racing against time. The fewer days you can accomplish your goal, the better.

Starting off
Download the sim of the month (or re-make them yourself) and import them into any neighborhood. You may want to create a neighborhood used for all of your Sims of the month, but you don’t have to. The sim must be alone when he or she is moved in. You may move the sim into ANY lot they can afford, as long as it is unoccupied. This can be a pre-built or empty lot. Once you do that, your challenge begins!

Presenting July's sim

Name: Theresa Dolphina
Traits: Family Oriented, Genius, Hates the Outdoors, Angler, Technophobe
Goals: Reach the top of the Journalism Career, Purchase a teleporter from the aspiration perks menu.
Restrictions: Can only eat seafood dishes. Theresa must submerge herself in water at least once per day. Theresa may not join the science career, or interact with the science lab in any way.
Difficulty: Medium

Prelude:
The Dockwood Dolphins, after losing their final game in a huge upset to their biggest rivals the Red Rabbits, who were lead to victory by the underdog star player Gordon Loadsworth, came up with a plan. They would bolster team spirit and frighten their rivals by creating a living mascot. So they commissioned the local science center to create the mascot. It was this ‘living mascot’ experiment that transformed then-test subject, Theresa Dole, into the half-human half dolphin hybrid that she is today.

Bio:
As a result of her transformation, Theresa can speak both human and dolphin languages. After escaping the lab and talking with her fellow dolphins (real dolphins, not the sports team), Theresa learns that the earth is in grave danger and feels the need to warn the inhabitants of the planet. Nobody will listen to her warning at the moment, but Theresa knows that if she can become established in the world of broadcasting, she can not only get her message to every corner of the globe, but also have it taken seriously. She also needs to finish building the teleporter the dolphins instructed her to build so she can escape with the rest of them before the planet does get destroyed.
While fearful of the science lab and the technology it used to transform her, Theresa is mostly able operate in ‘normal society’ Theresa must still attend to her dolphin aspects, needing the occasional dip in the water and a steady stream of fish to keep herself healthy.

Pinstar Says:
This month’s challenge is a bit harder than Gordon’s. Theresa has not one but two major goals to meet, the need to reach the journalism career top and the need to buy a teleporter. You’ll have to balance her career advancement with wish fulfillment, all while taking care of her dolphin needs. You may want to start off getting Thersa’s fish supply and cooking skills up right away so she can keep herself fed. In addition to seafood, Theresa is allowed to eat at the diner, the bistro and work without breaking the diet restriction. The 'submerge in water' requirement is fulfilled by having Theresa go swimming or take a bath. Theresa’s teleporter must be purchased using Theresa’s own aspiration points. Oh, and yes, this month’s sim was heavily inspired by the book “The Hitchiker’s Guide to the Galaxy”.

Theresa can be downloaded from my simpage here:
http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=442951

Past Sim of the Month Challenges
June:http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/48437.page

Creator of the Legacy Challenge

Twitter: @Pinstar
Youtube

This account is now maintained by Pinstar's wife, Mystic.

Twitter: @Sims_Legacy

Official Legacy Challenge Site

Comments

• FashbinderFashbinder Posts: 42 New Member
    edited July 2009
    July Challange:

Before even starting there are things i took into account.

1. Lifetime rewards are harder to get than maxing a career.
    2. Lots of reward opportunities come from fishing/writing.
    3. What reward perk is worth getting at the cost of slowing down teleporter purchase?

Starter Guide:

Bare essentials house with a computer and a bath.
    Pond in back yard with 1-2 fish species for selective reward targets.
    Portable fire pit so you can eat until you get your first fish cooking dish.
    Join journalism career.
    Start writing!

-Lifetime Wish-
    Theresa Dolphina's Lifetime wish is perfect mind perfect body. Genius will help the logic side and it will be the fastest way to get lifetime rewards in spite of its seemingly uncomplimentary wish.
  • ibaeshaCibaeshaC Posts: 679 Member
    edited July 2009
    This looks fun.

Pinstar, I added it to the Player-made challenge list thread in GD.
    Gallery: ibaeshaC
  • Pinstar1161Pinstar1161 Posts: 216 Member
    edited July 2009
    Fashbinder wrote:
    July Challange:

Before even starting there are things i took into account.

1. Lifetime rewards are harder to get than maxing a career.
    2. Lots of reward opportunities come from fishing/writing.
    3. What reward perk is worth getting at the cost of slowing down teleporter purchase?

Starter Guide:

Bare essentials house with a computer and a bath.
    Pond in back yard with 1-2 fish species for selective reward targets.
    Portable fire pit so you can eat until you get your first fish cooking dish.
    Join journalism career.
    Start writing!

-Lifetime Wish-
    Theresa Dolphina's Lifetime wish is perfect mind perfect body. Genius will help the logic side and it will be the fastest way to get lifetime rewards in spite of its seemingly uncomplimentary wish.

One must also factor in the time it takes to max logic and athletic versus the time one could be spending on career advancement and fulfilling smaller wishes.

Good idea with the fire pit to keep her fed. I was having her hit the diner for the first couple days until she learned fish and chips.

Youtube

• VeokVeok Posts: 71 New Member
    edited July 2009
    seafood dishes are sushi, fish+chips, dim sum, grilled salmon, and lobster thermidor.

Does Ambrosia (MADE WITH REAL DEATHFISH!) count?
  • bexta89bexta89 Posts: 80 New Member
    edited July 2009
    This one sounds more challenging, definitely. Can't wait to give it a go.
    edited July 2009
    July Challange: Completed!

Day 1.
    Joined Journalism Career.
    Headed to library to practice writing.
    Wanted to take a class in logic but was too scared of the science facility to do so.
    Went to the supermarket to buy fish and ducksworth!
    Stocked pond with baught fish.
    Ate at fire pit.
    Bathed
    Practiced writing.
    Contemplated selling kitchen entirely and only eating from the fire pit/bistro.
    Sleep.
    (img1)

Day 2.
    Practiced writing and realized it takes to long to roast on firepit. Going to buy cooking v1 later.
    Went to work and practiced writing.
    Workout at the gum proved dissatisfying due to low mood.
    Baught a chess table.
    Bathed.
    Sleep.

Day 3.
    Promoted at work.
    Realized the only thing in life she found fun was fishing, chess and reading.
    Finished her first book.
    Read cooking vol 1
    Bathed.
    sleep.

Day 4.
    Bathed with ducky before work.
    Paid bills of 108 and headed to work, ******* up to the boss.
    Fished to level 1.
    Read cooking vol 1.
    Roasted fish.
    Slept.

Day 5.
    Toilet. Bath.
    Roasted alley catfish.
    Worked on writing and was given a raise.
    Read cook v1. (got level2)
    Roasted fish.
    Sleep.

(img2)

Day 6.
    Theresa wanted to fish befoire 6am. I sure as hell let her :)
    Caught an alley catfish!!
    Read cooking v1 some more before a bath and work.
    had a bad day at work plagued with poor mood.
    Went home to fish it off!
    Learned Fish and chips!!!!
    Served fish and chips!!!!
    Sleep.

Day 7.
    Fished, Bathed and invited over a chess opponent.
    Won chess match,
    Ate leftover fish and chips.
    Reviewed a concert,
    sleep.

Day 8.
    Continued sci fi novel.
    Ate leftover
    Bathed
    Wrote positive review.
    Interviewed boss and wrote positive.

Day 9.
    Promoted at work,
    Reviewed movie.
    Served more fish and chips.
    Practiced chess
    bath
    sleep

Day 10.
    Ate fish and chips.
    Gussy up'd and bathed.
    Worked on writing at work
    Athletics class.
    Practiced chess.
    Ate fish and chips.
    Defeated chess opponent
    Sleep.

Day 11
    Gussy'd up
    Promoted to journalism 5.
    Wrote positive review.
    Worked out to stereo.
    Practiced charisma.
    Ate bathed and slept.

Day 12.
    Toilet, bath and gussy up before work.
    Decided to meet some co-workers and throw a party at the beach.
    Worked out until fatigued.
    Sleep.

Day 13.
    Work was a failure and Theresa was unable to obtain a promotion before the weekend.
    she went home to work off her frustration and do some writing.

Day 14.
    Bath ate toilet.
    Wrote article.
    Threw party it was epic.
    Spend 3g at day spar!

day 15.
    Worked out. (img3)
    Had fish
    bathed
    wrote novel

day 16.
    ate bathed worked and was promoted
    continued novel
    slept

Day 17
    ate bathed continued novel
    (img 4)
    Threw party in park and did some interviews and played some chess.
    Party was a success!
    Sleep.

Day 18.
    bath, gussy up
    work
    interviewed and wrote about co-worker.
    sleep

Day 19
    Promoted to journalism 7.
    Worked out.
    Threw party, was epic.
    Bathed ate and slept.

Day 20.
    Practiced writing at work and headed to gym for workout.
    Quick opportunity at the cinema and home for a bath and made sushi for the first time!!!
    Sleep.

Day 21.
    Alternated between chess and workouts with a bath and anchovie sushi in between!

Day 22.
    As above with the addition of some speech practicing. had a 7.500 spar package just as the last wore off and bars were red :D
    sleep

Day 23.
    Promoted to lead reporter at work, headed to the gym.
    37k happiness athletic and logic 6. Theresa was wishing she had have put more focus on those earlier!

day 24.
    workout, shower, sushi. Tuesday being a day off picked up logic v3 and hit the library.
    Once her fatigue wore off, hit up the gym! bathed and slept

Day 25.
    Unproductive day at work due to low charisma and reviews. Worked out, bathed and went to sleep.

Day 26
    Unproductive at work, and stressed out Theresa headed to the gym then the library before a bathe and sleep.
    Logic 9 athletic 8 and 42k happiness.

Day 27.
    Promoted to editor in chief, quick workout bath sushi but then started a fire :(
    Not cleaning saves time
    (img 5)

Day 28.
    Saturday is a day off, beginning with a workout, sushi and heading to the library to read a promotion book, logic3 and a bath!
    Day ended 47k lifetime hap. 8.75 logic and athletics!

Day 29.
    Hit the library and maxed logic headed to the gym for level 9 athletics followed by a relaxing rendezvous at the spar!

Day 30
    Still energized from the spar a quick workout followed and a bath, then headed to work!
    Halfway toward her final promotion Miss Dolphina took some much needed sleep.

Day 31.
    Bathed and ate sushi then worked out hard at the gym.(9.5) Heading home to practice her speaking skills :)
    A quick nap and Theresa reviewed a movie, quick workout, wrote a negative review, bath and sleep!

(Img6)

Day 32.
    Feeling like today may be a big day, a gussy up had her feeling good. Too fatigued to work out she was elated as she went to work!
    Promoted to level 10 in Journalism, then hitting the gym and achieving her lifetime wish!

(Img7)
    (Img8)

Teleportation Pad purchased with 20k to spare!!

Challange Completed in 32 days, no mod :)

http://img188.imageshack.us/i/dolphin1.jpg/
    http://img411.imageshack.us/i/dolphin2.jpg/
    http://img411.imageshack.us/i/dolphin3.jpg/
    http://img8.imageshack.us/i/dolphin4f.jpg/
    http://img33.imageshack.us/i/dolphin5.jpg/
    http://img514.imageshack.us/i/dolphin6.jpg/
    http://img191.imageshack.us/i/dolphin7.jpg/
    http://img191.imageshack.us/i/dolphin8.jpg/

-Edit-
    Sorry for the cut images, i alt tab and paste/save without really looking. Im quite pleased with this effort and don't think i could have done it any better,

If i was to change the method i used, i'd have skipped fishing entirely and focused earlier on charisma. Also using negative reviews gives a large performance increace, so use it when your meter is low. Other than that, good luck to the rest of you :)

edited July 2009
    Fashbinder wrote:

Day 3.
    Promoted at work.
    Finished her first book.
    Read cooking vol 1
    Bathed.
    sleep.

Wow, just wow! That was quick! Congratulations! I might have to start turning this into the "Sim of the Week" challenge :P

As for her lack of fun. In my playtesting I had her get married and had her do the woohoo with her hubbs when she was feeling bored. If you do the full interaction with the sims standing up it normally maxes the fun bar.

Oh and to answer Veok's question, yes. I'll rule that Theresa's tummy can handle ambrosia.
    Post edited by Unknown User on

Youtube

• babygemini1986babygemini1986 Posts: 95 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I tried downloading this months and last months and my game launcher says is installed correctly and is done, but when I went to start a new game and went to the family bins they are not there? I dont know if I did something wrong or what. Can you please help me? Thanks

THANK YOU I DIDNT KNOW ABOUT THAT THANKS AGAIN :mrgreen:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • kashelle03kashelle03 Posts: 66 Member
    edited July 2009
    They are in CAS under the pre-made sims. Make sure to check under the correct age group to find them.
    edited July 2009
    Correct! I just upload my sims as CAS sims because that gives you the most visual detail on the simpage.

Youtube

edited July 2009
    Fashbinder wrote:

Day 3.
    Promoted at work.
    Finished her first book.
    Read cooking vol 1
    Bathed.
    sleep.

Wow, just wow! That was quick! Congratulations! I might have to start turning this into the "Sim of the Week" challenge :P

As for her lack of fun. In my playtesting I had her get married and had her do the woohoo with her hubbs when she was feeling bored. If you do the full interaction with the sims standing up it normally maxes the fun bar.

Oh and to answer Veok's question, yes. I'll rule that Theresa's tummy can handle ambrosia.

Ya, i contenplated marrying a sim who i knew had high logic/athletic to tutor/train in skills to expediate the process, but in a challange its too inconvienient to micro two sims and i think the time endured woulden't be worth it. If i thought i needed more lifetime reward points socialization would give it a kick.

Sim of the week! Bring it. Also perhaps an "official pinstar" trophy to add to the signature for me.... err the winner :)
  • LadyPirate82LadyPirate82 Posts: 24 Member
    edited July 2009
    Is it legal to change her LTW? either in CAS or with her reward points?
    edited July 2009
    Is it legal to change her LTW? either in CAS or with her reward points?

CAS= No, she must start with her originally assigned LTW

With points=Yes. You may change buy the change aspiration perk to change it to whatever you want, unless that month's sim specifically restricts doing that.

@Flashbinder. I might see what I can do about trophies. I'm not sure about ones for the first or the shortest times, but certainly ones for those who have completed each month successfully. Give me some time on those though, I'm no artist...

Youtube

edited July 2009
    bexta89 wrote:
    This one sounds more challenging, definitely. Can't wait to give it a go.

I'll be ramping up the difficulty of these sims as time goes on... on months where it gets too hard, I'll probably release a second set of conditions for an 'easy mode' for those who don't feel up to Apocalypse-level challenges :)

Youtube

edited July 2009
    I'll be ramping up the difficulty of these sims as time goes on... on months where it gets too hard, I'll probably release a second set of conditions for an 'easy mode' for those who don't feel up to Apocalypse-level challenges :)

I like challanges with difinitive goals. I've pondered things such as leader of the free world as evil/mean spirited with 25 enemies prior to getting a political job.

Ideas:
    something like "Achieve 50,000 cash" with a part time job and gardening.
    Start as an elder with jack of all trades LTW chasing X lifetime rewards.
    perhaps a stock household with a unusual target.

Avoid:
    Have the stock game make it harder through traits or low money (like with legacy start plot) and avoid such as "bath daily" or "only eat fish"

Please, next month make it uber hard so as to make me want to play through 2-3 times to get it right :) And spoilers as to the next challange would be great :)
    edited July 2009
    Fashbinder wrote:

I like challanges with difinitive goals. I've pondered things such as leader of the free world as evil/mean spirited with 25 enemies prior to getting a political job.

Ideas:
    something like "Achieve 50,000 cash" with a part time job and gardening.
    Start as an elder with jack of all trades LTW chasing X lifetime rewards.
    perhaps a stock household with a unusual target.

Avoid:
    Have the stock game make it harder through traits or low money (like with legacy start plot) and avoid such as "bath daily" or "only eat fish"

Please, next month make it uber hard so as to make me want to play through 2-3 times to get it right :) And spoilers as to the next challange would be great :)

Next month will be the first month that does not involve reaching the top of a career. That being said, next month will see money as being the primary focus. I can't give anymore details until I finish play testing :)

Youtube

edited July 2009
    I have condensed this challenge down into a single thread for ease of reading and updating. Please discontinue use of this thread and post any questions/comments about July's, or any other month's challenge in that thread.

The thread can be found here:
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/48437.page

Youtube

• DayaDaya Posts: 276 Member
    edited July 2009
    Sorry 4 the stupid question , but do I need to fulfill the perfect body/mind ltw too? Cuz I didn't see that coming too ...
  • MerryWiddowMerryWiddow Posts: 4,262 Member
    edited July 2009
    I played Theresa until she achieved her goals. Took me 9 weeks, 1 day. This was a hard one, but fun.
  • ManeoManeo Posts: 30 New Member
    edited July 2009
    ahahahaha the moment you mentioned dolphins, i knew it was hitchhiker's guide!
  • QuailsRpeople2QuailsRpeople2 Posts: 7 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Poor Theresa...Got to the top of Journalism, achieved all three writers challenges, Feature Article Writer, etc., had tons of money coming in as royalties, but died before she had enough points to get the teleporter. She was 97 years old, took 9 weeks 4 days. Had fun...might have to try it again and play it a little differently. I started out spending too much time on her writing career and not enough time fulfilling wishes. Very enjoyable challenge though. Thanks Pinstar.
  • worsiedogworsiedog Posts: 376 Member
    Sim of the Month Challenge

Welcome to the second entry of the Sim of the Month Challenge!
    What is the Sim of the Month Challenge?

Once per month, I will be uploading a new sim to my simpage. You will be given a very specific goal and a very specific set of restrictions unique to that month’s sim. You goal is to achieve the goal while obeying the restrictions in as few sim-days as possible.

Universal Rules
    There are a set of rules and restrictions universal to all Sims posted for this challenge, but don’t worry, they are much fewer than the Legacy Challenge.

You may not purchase the “Mid-life crisis” perk to change the sim’s traits.
    You may not merge households on the neighborhood level.
    You may not move in/marry player made or downloaded sims. All other sims are fair game (unless specifically restricted by that month's sim)
    No cheating (Money cheats, mood cheats, hacks that give you an advantage over those who do not have the hack)
    You must obey the sim-specific restriction. Failing to do so means the challenge is failed.
    You may use any aging speed you like. In fact you are encouraged to use epic speed if you want to keep a single neighborhood with all your past Sims of the Month. Story progression can be on or off at your discretion.

Customization
    Awesomemod is allowed with this challenge, just be sure to turn off any aspects that affect jobs.
    If you can't/don't want to download this month's sim from my simpage, you're more than welcome to re-make him or her in CAS. Even change their name and appearance if you wish. The important parts to replicate are the sim's age, gender, lifetime wish and traits.

Scoring
    The only score for this and all Sims of the month will be speed. You will be racing against time. The fewer days you can accomplish your goal, the better.

Starting off
    Download the sim of the month (or re-make them yourself) and import them into any neighborhood. You may want to create a neighborhood used for all of your Sims of the month, but you don’t have to. The sim must be alone when he or she is moved in. You may move the sim into ANY lot they can afford, as long as it is unoccupied. This can be a pre-built or empty lot. Once you do that, your challenge begins!

Presenting July's sim

Name: Theresa Dolphina
    Traits: Family Oriented, Genius, Hates the Outdoors, Angler, Technophobe
    Goals: Reach the top of the Journalism Career, Purchase a teleporter from the aspiration perks menu.
    Restrictions: Can only eat seafood dishes. Theresa must submerge herself in water at least once per day. Theresa may not join the science career, or interact with the science lab in any way.
    Difficulty: Medium

Prelude:
    The Dockwood Dolphins, after losing their final game in a huge upset to their biggest rivals the Red Rabbits, who were lead to victory by the underdog star player Gordon Loadsworth, came up with a plan. They would bolster team spirit and frighten their rivals by creating a living mascot. So they commissioned the local science center to create the mascot. It was this ‘living mascot’ experiment that transformed then-test subject, Theresa Dole, into the half-human half dolphin hybrid that she is today.

Bio:
    As a result of her transformation, Theresa can speak both human and dolphin languages. After escaping the lab and talking with her fellow dolphins (real dolphins, not the sports team), Theresa learns that the earth is in grave danger and feels the need to warn the inhabitants of the planet. Nobody will listen to her warning at the moment, but Theresa knows that if she can become established in the world of broadcasting, she can not only get her message to every corner of the globe, but also have it taken seriously. She also needs to finish building the teleporter the dolphins instructed her to build so she can escape with the rest of them before the planet does get destroyed.
    While fearful of the science lab and the technology it used to transform her, Theresa is mostly able operate in ‘normal society’ Theresa must still attend to her dolphin aspects, needing the occasional dip in the water and a steady stream of fish to keep herself healthy.

Pinstar Says:
    This month’s challenge is a bit harder than Gordon’s. Theresa has not one but two major goals to meet, the need to reach the journalism career top and the need to buy a teleporter. You’ll have to balance her career advancement with wish fulfillment, all while taking care of her dolphin needs. You may want to start off getting Thersa’s fish supply and cooking skills up right away so she can keep herself fed. In addition to seafood, Theresa is allowed to eat at the diner, the bistro and work without breaking the diet restriction. The 'submerge in water' requirement is fulfilled by having Theresa go swimming or take a bath. Theresa’s teleporter must be purchased using Theresa’s own aspiration points. Oh, and yes, this month’s sim was heavily inspired by the book “The Hitchiker’s Guide to the Galaxy”.

Theresa can be downloaded from my simpage here:
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=442951

Past Sim of the Month Challenges
    June:http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/48437.page

It would be nice to see this one revamped for Sims 4... just putting it out there.