Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims Store - unfair on those stuck for cash.

Sims is becoming more like Second life and less like a decent game. I love sims3, the traits the new body design and all that, BUT the sims3 store feels really discriminatory against those with, to put it simply, no money. I'm still in school and don't earn a lot of money so the store's kinda like snobbery to me.

Sims 2 rocked, and still does. New stuff was downloadable for FREE. Yes, this is like 'the exchange' on this site but the exchange is more limited. Cos you have to work with the content thats already on the game, just 'colour it in' if you like.

When i first got sims 3 i thought, there's not many hairstyles or items, in comparison to sims2 plus expansion packs. I figured i'd should be waiting for sims 3 expansion packs or get online and download some stuff. but finding out you have to pay for is just twisting the knife of already being hard up!

I have friends my age with sims 3 and although most feel the same as me, a few friends, who have cash to splash because of a wealthier family are very 'show-off'. It's bad enough having to put up with kids waving expensive clothes and lavish furnishings in the real world, without having to put up with it in a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 game! That you did pay for and now feel cheated out of its full potential!! Really Sucks. and makes me like the sims less.

Problem is. Now the sims store is up and running, you can't really go back on it i guess. I'd just like to know other peoples views on it.

Comments

• SimToth1212SimToth1212 Posts: 512 Member
    edited July 2009
    Thats why people developed piracy.
  • LillienLillien Posts: 50 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Yeah... even though I can afford to buy stuff from the sims 3 store, after my free 10 dollars is up, I refuse to buy more, because I feel very scammed by the whole thing. I pay $50 for a game, and on launch day there's content, withheld from the base game, that I'm suddenly supposed to pay extra for? Expansion packs are one thing, but now EA is holding back content just to make an extra buck. That's fine for them if they want to practice business that way, but I'm not buying into it when I can get better quality content free on other sites if I'm patient.
    You could take the same sort of stance, saying you think the whole store is a rip-off. Then it's not about the money you have (or don't have). And meanwhile, free content is starting to crop up on modthesims and peggyzone. Stuff way better than what they offer on sims 3 store. So get that and have cooler stuff for free than what people pay money for.
  • PenelopePenelope Posts: 3,298 Member
    edited July 2009
    I know, right? Sims 3 is going to end up being a $300 game. The best thing to do is learn how to put custom content in your game, because then you can get loads of free stuff that looks great and works great in the game. Mod The Sims is a great web site to begin with. It's all free stuff. They even have a few custom hairstyles now that don't replace the in-game default hairs.
  • legendarybitka29legendarybitka29 Posts: 1,185 Member
    edited July 2009
    Freyaaaaa wrote:
    Sims is becoming more like Second life and less like a decent game. I love sims3, the traits the new body design and all that, BUT the sims3 store feels really discriminatory against those with, to put it simply, no money. I'm still in school and don't earn a lot of money so the store's kinda like snobbery to me.

Well, life isn't fair. It isn't discrimination, it's just business.
  • SimInTheSunSimInTheSun Posts: 3,170 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I don't think there should be any kind of stores in this world at all. I can't afford a new computer, a big screen tv, a new car, or many other things I want. And since I can't afford what I want... all the stores in the world should be demolished! It's so unfair! 8)
  • shellbemeshellbeme Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited July 2009
    Sorry I agree with this too. Heck, I don't even mind purchasing stuff packs, but the store irritates me. Items are overpriced, it shouldn't even exist, and as previous posters mentioned, there really should have been more with the first game-I was kinda put off too by the lack of content. Many of us kinda miss the classics-what happened to our grandfather clock, the hot tub-amung other things. Sure, the sims 3 is different-but those are sorta sim traditions. I do love this game and I'll continue to purchase expansions-stuff packs if they are made-but I won't be purchasing from the sim store.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    edited July 2009
    There wasn't much free stuff at The sims 2 site. You were lucky to see one object every 2 or three months. EA could garner a tiny bit of respect if they did offer up more free content.

They offered up free clothes, so that's a start. I still think they could drop their prices and still make the same profits. They would get happier customers as a bonus.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • ChessackChessack Posts: 227 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Freyaaaaa wrote:

(( SNIP ))

When i first got sims 3 i thought, there's not many hairstyles or items, in comparison to sims2 plus expansion packs. I figured i'd should be waiting for sims 3 expansion packs or get online and download some stuff. but finding out you have to pay for is just twisting the knife of already being hard up!

I don't understand. Didn't you have to pay for all the Sims 2 expansion packs? I know I did. And most of them clocked in at $20-$30 each. How come paying $20 for a stuff pack was OK with you but paying $5 or so for the sim points to buy some furniture (or whatever) is not?

Now, I don't disagree with you about disliking these so-called "micro transactions" -- I personally despise them, because I think they price them in a way that makes you not realize how much you are spending (and not just EA -- everyone's doing it now)... $1 here, $1 there, and it adds up to the same $20 of a stuff pack. The difference is, a SP you have to go out and buy at the store and you notice what you are spending, where as a micro-trans, you may not realize how much you are spending. And I think that's just what they want.

However, that's got very little to do with your objection, which is that Sims 3 somehow "discriminates" against the poor, while (you imply) Sims 2 did not. With all the SPs and EPs they had for Sims 2 (not all of which I bought), you could spend hundreds of $$ on Sims 2 if you "wanted it all." That doesn't sound like it was "poverty friendly" to me in comparison to this game.

Again, I'm not a fan of micro-********. But your argument would hold a lot more water if Sims 2 hadn't cost just as much via EPs and SPs...

C
  • Agent_66Agent_66 Posts: 113 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I have to agree with Chessack here. I was lucky enough that Sims 3 came out the month of my birthday, so I didn't have to spend the money to buy it and got to use my free sim points, so I don't necessarily feel 'cheated' and I certainly don't think EA decided to put out the game knowing some people couldn't pay it.

At the same time, I agree with the thread, but on an overall issue. As someone who's still in school, Freyaaa, you probably aren't aware of the rest of the world.

EVERYONE is suffering! We're in a recession and some have said we're worst than we were in the Great Depression - and for me at least, when I hear of the GD and then it gets compared to life now, I worry. A LOT.

Unemployment is the HIGHEST it has ever been, toeing the line around 9.6% (last I checked) and looking to approach double digits. In my lifetime, this is my second recession, however this is the first one where I actually care cause I work.

EA isn't screwing us; the world in general is screwing us. But hey, I remember when $20 was a lot to spend on a CD (you remember those? Small, cylinder things that had music on them). I have friends who are in the same boat I am - everything else, including groceries, need to be put off for bills.

Truth of the matter is, the world has ALWAYS favored the rich and it will continue to do so. The snobs that you know are obviously products of parents who don't teach their children anything. There are those who are wealthy who remember when they weren't so wealthy.

It's life, kid. It sucks.
  • dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    edited July 2009
    Freyaaaaa wrote:

Well, life isn't fair. It isn't discrimination, it's just business.

yes, thank you. Its reality of life you have to pay to get more, companies want money they aren't discriminating against people they are just doing what companies do. Its not like they force you to buy stuff from the store, it gives you more stuff but you don't need any of it to play the game.
  • monkymn00monkymn00 Posts: 948 Member
    edited July 2009
    Never, ever use your lack of funds as an excuse for something to be priced lower than it currently is.

But anyways...part of the problem with this recession that everyone is worrying about is that everyone is worrying about it.

It's rather annoying when people start talking about the recession when they complain about the price of video games and these optional store items. They are optional. If you don't have enough money and are struggling you shouldn't be thinking about buying video games or these store items. And why is this turning into a rich/poor argument about people screwing us over?
  • JerziJerzi Posts: 1,047 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Agent_66 wrote:
    I have to agree with Chessack here. I was lucky enough that Sims 3 came out the month of my birthday, so I didn't have to spend the money to buy it and got to use my free sim points, so I don't necessarily feel 'cheated' and I certainly don't think EA decided to put out the game knowing some people couldn't pay it.

At the same time, I agree with the thread, but on an overall issue. As someone who's still in school, Freyaaa, you probably aren't aware of the rest of the world.

EVERYONE is suffering! We're in a recession and some have said we're worst than we were in the Great Depression - and for me at least, when I hear of the GD and then it gets compared to life now, I worry. A LOT.

Unemployment is the HIGHEST it has ever been, toeing the line around 9.6% (last I checked) and looking to approach double digits. In my lifetime, this is my second recession, however this is the first one where I actually care cause I work.

EA isn't screwing us; the world in general is screwing us. But hey, I remember when $20 was a lot to spend on a CD (you remember those? Small, cylinder things that had music on them). I have friends who are in the same boat I am - everything else, including groceries, need to be put off for bills.

Truth of the matter is, the world has ALWAYS favored the rich and it will continue to do so. The snobs that you know are obviously products of parents who don't teach their children anything. There are those who are wealthy who remember when they weren't so wealthy.

It's life, kid. It sucks.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

You can't blame EA for trying to get money. Well, I shouldn't say trying, they are going to get it. People can protest the store as much as they want, but its still here, and will probably continue to be. You can't be so objected to it when you were willing to spend $20 or more on a stuff pack (as Chessack pointed out). This is essentially the same, just you choose which objects you get. And just like the stuff packs, if you don't like it then don't buy it. There's no need to complain, its really not going to shut down the store. There have already been 2,057+ threads about this and the store continues to exist.

Shenanigans like this will continue to happen for the rest of your life, better get used to it.
  • SimmieKSimmieK Posts: 2,323 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I agree. The game is sadly turning into and MMO Cash Shop thingy....
    When is it an MMO or our Beloved Sim's Franchise that we know and love?
  • Tenshi3Tenshi3 Posts: 2,653 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I'm not entirely sure I understand the argument.

The store is discriminating against you because you have no money?

Don't all shops do this? :roll:
    edited July 2009
    SimmieK wrote:
    I agree. The game is sadly turning into and MMO Cash Shop thingy....
    When is it an MMO or our Beloved Sim's Franchise that we know and love?

SimmieK you always support any topic that hates on the store, even when the arguments are illogical.
  • SlinkyScrapSlinkyScrap Posts: 1,551 Member
    edited July 2009
    I think we should go back to bartering.

I got a nice goat for anyone who will trade me a few new hair styles.
  • JerziJerzi Posts: 1,047 New Member
    edited July 2009

I could use a goat. And I happen to have a bag of hair styles.
  • SlinkyScrapSlinkyScrap Posts: 1,551 Member
    edited July 2009
    Jerzi wrote:

I could use a goat. And I happen to have a bag of hair styles.

Sweet! I've got some nice shells if anyone wants to trade me for some custom furniture!
  • Tj_3_00Tj_3_00 Posts: 47 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Why couldn't they just make it like the orginal sims/sims2 and just have game expansions for this. I agree that the game is starting to get out of whack.
  • FRATERNALHEROFRATERNALHERO Posts: 145 Member
    edited July 2009
    Simply put - they aren't even reading this. EA makes this game like all other game makers they just are in it for the cash. Wasn't it EA who took over Star Wars and turned it into crap back in the years? If enough people are buying - they don't care. If people weren't buying, they might actually consider going around and reading others input, but only if they are going to make money off of it. If not, they'll fire the guy who suggested to put stuff up for free and hire someone who will turn it into a money maker lol
    Feel free to follow my gaming randomness on Facebook here
    edited July 2009
    Tj_3_00 wrote:
    Why couldn't they just make it like the orginal sims/sims2 and just have game expansions for this. I agree that the game is starting to get out of whack.

There will be game expansions out, as EA has stated. This is just another way for them to sell sim items by themselves. Think of the store as selling stuff pack items one by one instead of in one big package, because that's really what it is. They did a store for the Sims 2 toward the end of its life too...
  • arkhyelarkhyel Posts: 604 Member
    edited July 2009
    I do think that the store is very overpriced. I think that they could cut prices 75%, which would make prices fair for me, and still cover the costs running the store. I can't see it free, because developing store items cost money, as well running it. They won't and can't do it free. If they would, the quality would be very bad. Also, if the store would be free, then why not expansion packs as well, or who would buy those packs if they could get stuff from store free.

I like the store idea, because you can select what you want. You don't have to fill your hd & game with tons of content you don't like for getting some items you want.
  • legendarybitka29legendarybitka29 Posts: 1,185 Member
    edited July 2009
    monkymn00 wrote:
    Never, ever use your lack of funds as an excuse for something to be priced lower than it currently is.

But anyways...part of the problem with this recession that everyone is worrying about is that everyone is worrying about it.

It's rather annoying when people start talking about the recession when they complain about the price of video games and these optional store items. They are optional. If you don't have enough money and are struggling you shouldn't be thinking about buying video games or these store items. And why is this turning into a rich/poor argument about people screwing us over?

Very well said. More people need to see this post.
  • FreyaaaaaFreyaaaaa Posts: 6 New Member
    edited July 2009
    You know, i've read pretty much all of the posts on here and can't really argue with any of them. Like i said, i only wanted other peoples opinions.

Yeah i guess the reseccion is hitting everyone, including ea. And i do understand that the store shouldn't be free now, because programming that stuff is tricky, i've watched a mate do some. but why don't they at least let users use meshes to on the exchange, once again, like sims2, unless they already do... :? I don't know,
    Agent_66 wrote:
    As someone who's still in school, Freyaaa, you probably aren't aware of the rest of the world.

And please, yes I am still in school but that doesn't make me totally oblivious to the current situation, im not stupid ok, 8)
  • FreyaaaaaFreyaaaaa Posts: 6 New Member
    edited July 2009
    monkymn00 wrote:

Yeah, I totally get that, and i might have been a bit over dramatic on my first post about rich Vs. poor, but not only do i feel like ea were whitholding content from the game at the very beginning they screwed up with my code too, so i never got my £6 (or $10). I suppose i'm just bitter about it, :roll: