Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

No more single parents?

In the list of changes added to the game via the most recent update, it states that babies will no longer be born to single Sims. Anyone have any idea why? I personally don't like that. I think it takes away the reality of the game, and is just ridiculous. What are your thoughts?

Comments

• elhefeelhefe Posts: 1,588 New Member
    edited July 2009
    It means that babies will no longer be born to only 1 Sim. That doesn't mean that the Mom or Dad has to be in a relationship, it just means that when they game wants a baby to be born, it will choose 2 single Sims to be Mom and Dad.
  • DarkAmaranth1966DarkAmaranth1966 Posts: 13,416 Member
    edited July 2009
    In other words, children born in game will now have two parents, even though the child may live with the mother or the father and the other parent live elsewhere.
    Life is what you make it so, make it good.
  • ciennasim1ciennasim1 Posts: 734 Member
    edited July 2009
    Thanks for clarifying that because I wasn't feeling that either. I thought that the babies already had 2 parents. 1 of my sim guys got a girl pregnant and she had the baby yesterday. I didn't even know that she had the baby until something popped up over my sim guy saying something like "congratulations you have a baby girl named Leanna." My sim guy got excited and I sent him over to the single mother's house to see his daughter.
    I haven't downloaded the new patch yet, so exactly what does it do differently being that I thought that it was already thought that babies always had 2 parents?
  • JessamineJessamine Posts: 14 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Yes, thank you for clarifying! :mrgreen:

I was at first hesitant to install the Update for this reason. I thought perhaps EA was enforcing some supposed social construct on something that is supposed to be a fun creative outlet. Needless to say that isn't the case and it was to indeed give the game a more realistic touch. I will be installing the update now. Thanks again for the clarification! So glad I thought to ask before getting all worked up!
    edited July 2009
    Before the patch, progression would cause single sims (males and females) to have children with no other parent anywhere. so a sim born in game via progression could have only a father or only a mother. Now they have both even if the parents do not live together or are not in a relationship with eachother.

In theory, if you let Bella Goth grow up and have a sim you crated but is not in the active household, Bella could have your sim's baby thanks to progression.
  • debra1970pdebra1970p Posts: 4,652 Member
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, like the others have said, no more a.s.e.x.ual reproduction.

In my game today, a friend of my sim's actually got married and had a baby.
  • coffeecupscoffeecups Posts: 12 New Member
    edited July 2009
    One of my male sims spontaneously had a baby, he was single, he wasn't even in a relationship with anyone, he never even kissed a girl or even a boy lol. It was bizarre, to say the least. I'm glad they are fixing it.
  • BB_GunnBB_Gunn Posts: 162 New Member
    edited July 2009
    This fix doesn't seem to work in my game, single sims still spawn babies even after applying this patch.

Do you need to start a new game to make it work ?
    edited July 2009
    Yes single sims can still have babies but, the child will now have two parents in it's family tree, not just one as thay did before the patch.
  • BuckStoneBuckStone Posts: 1 New Member
    edited July 2009
    coffeecups wrote:
    One of my male sims spontaneously had a baby, he was single, he wasn't even in a relationship with anyone, he never even kissed a girl or even a boy lol. It was bizarre, to say the least. I'm glad they are fixing it.

How does that happen? A single male sim can *have* a baby? Does the woman have to have the baby on his lot in order for it to be his?
    edited July 2009
    I assume, as in life the woman has the baby but may not want to raise it so, the father takes responsibility and raises the child.
  • tinarusselltinarussell Posts: 114 Member
    edited August 2009
    Thank you for clarifying. I was upset by that too, I don't always want to be married but I wanted kids.
    My kids always have had 2 parents though even when they weren't married so I never had any problems like that. It always linked up great in the family tree even though the father was only her best friend.