Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims should be able to work full time & part time jobs.

Basically what the title says, my sims are really struggling to make ends meet, and i think it should be possible for your sim to work a full time job and a part time job if the hours do not over lap. What do you guys think?

Comments

• ashleyadorableashleyadorable Posts: 7,254 Member
    edited January 2012
    I've always wanted my sims to have more than one job :/
  • LonnehartLonnehart Posts: 688 Member
    edited January 2012
    My Sim makes his living with his writing. I don't think I'll ever have him work an actual career... :)
    Yeah. Made a Minecraft Windows 10 Edition video channel. I guess I'm insane...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXGZZkbGB3y8S-F6gePiFhA
  • XKidsInLoveXXKidsInLoveX Posts: 4,910 Member
    edited January 2012
    Lonnehart wrote:
    My Sim makes his living with his writing. I don't think I'll ever have him work an actual career... :)
    im trying to play without cheating, and my sims just arent bringing enough in to pay their bills and buy skill books/recipe books/ fishing books and cat food and scratching posts and save up to buy a house, let alone save up for their upcomming wedding.

I need them to get part time jobs too lol
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    edited January 2012
    Do you sims fish and/or garden? Do they collect gems? There are so many ways to make money without your sims ever needing to actually get a job.

ETA: Things like fishing and painting can potentially make lots of money (especially if you accept the opportunities) and they fill the fun-bar at the same time :D
  • thelawtmanthelawtman Posts: 1,424 Member
    edited January 2012
    I made 200k just from exploring in wa tombs It is an easy way to make money, I can't play using cheats I try to play as real as possible.
    Could it possibly get uglier? I used to be a highly respected watcher, and now I'm a wounded dwarf with the mystical strength of a doily. I just wish I could sleep. - Rupert Giles

lpOEB4y.gif MeEUgvO.gif
  • XKidsInLoveXXKidsInLoveX Posts: 4,910 Member
    edited January 2012
    Mikezumi wrote:
    Do you sims fish and/or garden? Do they collect gems? There are so many ways to make money without your sims ever needing to actually get a job.

ETA: Things like fishing and painting can potentially make lots of money (especially if you accept the opportunities) and they fill the fun-bar at the same time :D
    i do try to, my sim goes out to the park and harvests the fruit trees there and sells it,my other sim fishes, but his skill isnt very high yet and doesnt catch much, it does make my sim some money, but i cant afford an easel yet, and my sims dont get to fish or hunt for gems long cause im working ont heur skills and moods so they can get promotions haha
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    edited January 2012
    Harvesting wild plants will make your sims very little money. You need to plant them at home and improve the quality. The skills build up quickly (especially if you don't have a sprinkler as watering seems to increase the skill faster than harvesting). By the time they can grow rare fruit and veg you will be raking in the money.
  • TankadankaTankadanka Posts: 793 Member
    edited January 2012
    Lonnehart wrote:
    im trying to play without cheating, and my sims just arent bringing enough in to pay their bills and buy skill books/recipe books/ fishing books and cat food and scratching posts and save up to buy a house, let alone save up for their upcomming wedding.

One of my sims who started writing as an Adult was making 150k a week before he died. This is legitimately of course without cheats. It takes a while, but its definitely worth it. The self-employed writer job is seriously broken lol. I made his grandson start writing as soon as he turned into a kid. I didn't really know how to get the most out of the writer job while I was pursuing it with my Legacy founder's husband, but now that I have it figured out, I'm hoping for a high-end six-figure weekly income for my 3rd Gen. :mrgreen:

That said, I still totally agree with you, even if it does make you rich, I wouldn't want to play my founder as a writer, and things were definitely tight at the beginning. I actually thought you could get a part time job while being a self-employed painter/writer/gardener/whathaveyou. Apparently not. Which makes no sense. :?
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited January 2012
    My favorite money-maker on the side is sculpting, especially if you sell the items at the consignment store because that brings in more money than selling directly from the sculpting station (the only ones I sell from the station are ice until I make enough to not have them melt). And if you get the Suave Seller Happiness Reward, you can really bring in a lot of money for your Sims; I rarely use the money cheats anymore except at the beginning when I might give a couple of extra thousand to make sure they can get their sculpting station.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
    edited January 2012
    My favorite money-maker on the side is sculpting, especially if you sell the items at the consignment store because that brings in more money than selling directly from the sculpting station (the only ones I sell from the station are ice until I make enough to not have them melt). And if you get the Suave Seller Happiness Reward, you can really bring in a lot of money for your Sims; I rarely use the money cheats anymore except at the beginning when I might give a couple of extra thousand to make sure they can get their sculpting station.
  • pinkknight06pinkknight06 Posts: 872 Member
    edited February 2012
    I wish that sims could have more than one job too. I get over it by letting my sims write or paint, I am currently getting one of my sims started in making nectar.
  • AHHRAHHR Posts: 153
    edited February 2012
    i have thought this many times before i would love my sims to have 2 jobs. it would almost make their lives harder!
    i also make my sims write or garden or any of the little things that they can to make money but not quite the same as having 2 jobs lol
  • mercifullynewmercifullynew Posts: 103 Member
    edited February 2012
    I have not been able to tell if selling things at the consignment shop increases your progress bar for your profession. Anyone know?
  • Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited February 2012
    There is a mod over at Mod The Sims. It's called Buzzler's Moar Interactions. Among other things, it allows your Sim to work a 3 hour shift at any grocery store, diner, bookstore, spa, and cemetery for 30 dollars an hour. It also allows your Sim to work 3 hours overtime.

It's a very handy mod. I really enjoy using it, but I wish EA would add this to the game for everyone, so it could be done without that mod.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • LonnehartLonnehart Posts: 688 Member
    edited February 2012
    Here's how I do it. My Doctor Sim goes out to work at the hospital. Whenever he has a few hours to spare he goes out collecting gems and space rocks. My Writer Sim also does painting on the side but that's because it's part of his lifetime wish. Still, he's made a lot of money. And all with no Motherlode cheats. :)

Best part of this combination is that your Sims hours are his own. Yep. No overbearing powertripping supervisor leaning over his shoulder to see if he's working or not.

I should probably play that file again. Last time I played it he was married and had twins. And through his earnings alone he could afford two cars and several extensions to his home (to make room for his growing family). :)
    Yeah. Made a Minecraft Windows 10 Edition video channel. I guess I'm insane...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXGZZkbGB3y8S-F6gePiFhA
  • Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited February 2012
    Lonnehart wrote:

Don't have them buy skill books. You can find all 3 levels at the library. Also, if one of your Sims is a bookworm, have him join the book of the month club. sometimes you get those books from overseas, and after they read them, you can sell the books for a lot of simoleans. And yes, if one of them can rake up enough money to go overseas, that's also a good way for them to earn money, because some of those opportunities show you where to find gems. Find an extra number of gems other than what the quests require and you can sell them for simoleans.

That's not cheating, by the way. That's taking advantage of your resources.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • PepperbuttPepperbutt Posts: 3,201 New Member
    edited February 2012
    YES. THEY ARE PART TIME FOR A REASON. -bashes head into wall-

Plenty of people have jobs to supplement their income. By that, I mean the self employment thing introduced with AMB. Doctors paint and sell their art IRL for extra money, and make careers out of it, basically working two jobs. I know you can sell them via the inventory / consignment shop, but why can't we do that as a career too? I mean, kids can have multiple afterschool activities, as long as they don't conflict, so why not?

The way I see it, if you can juggle 23847293847923 jobs, awesome for you, you should keep on doing it. Plus, combining some of the SE options is like, duh. For example, painting / writing, when there's a LTW for that specifically? And sculpting, I think inventing, and.. painting? Or gardening and equestrian, since it's just.. -facepalm- Why can't we do those? I mean, I get doctor and scientist, where you can't be in two places at once.. but seriously, with SE?
    edited February 2012
    I have not been able to tell if selling things at the consignment shop increases your progress bar for your profession. Anyone know?

It does for sculpting and I think inventing.
  • PepperbuttPepperbutt Posts: 3,201 New Member
    edited February 2012

It does for sculpting and I think inventing.

Well you can't put sculptures and some inventions (time machine) in your inventory, so they have no choice but to be sold by family inventory.

I don't know if I've noticed much of a difference, tbh. If in doubt, just sell from your inventory.