Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Distant Terrain: How to use?

JalidaJalida Posts: 2,181 Member
Could somebody please explain to me how to go about using the "distant terrain france" object in my world?

I would like to get rid of that mass of land in the middle of the ocean feeling. I find it strange that in both the worlds that come with the game, sunset and river, the world is not surounded by ocean.

Anyway, I found something in CAW named something like Distant Terrain France, and Distant Terrain Egypt etc.

But once I place them in the world I can't seem to move them again, so I can't align them with the edges of my world. Plus I think they might have been designed for 2048x2048 worlds since the center square opening in them are absolutely huge.

So if that is not the option to make it so that my world doesn't look like it's floating on the ocean, what is the proper answer to get rid of this effect?

Thanks, for your help

Comments

• JadeleineJadeleine Posts: 2,140 Member
    edited January 2010
    I have been try to put the distant land in my world too. I have not yet succeed to place it where i want, it´s difficult. World im working on is huge and distand land is right size for it. It moves, but not where i want :D
  • hid6hid6 Posts: 85 New Member
    edited January 2010
    Jadeleine wrote:
    I have been try to put the distant land in my world too. I have not yet succeed to place it where i want, it´s difficult. World im working on is huge and distand land is right size for it. It moves, but not where i want :D

hi i have done the disant terrian and it is easy to move around u need to place two down the switch to the move tool and undo one distant terians then click the 1st distant terian

hope this helps
  • cccccccccccc Posts: 707 New Member
    edited January 2010
    hid6, i didnt quite get that :S english pls? :D
  • ShaluaShalua Posts: 453 Member
    edited January 2010
    Just place it on the map, then use the metadata on the left to change it's position by changing the x,y, and z values.

And the Sunset Valley and Riverview don't have water surrounding them because they have the distant terrain in them too, it's just hard to tell, because they shaped the land so well to fit it. Open up one of them in CAW to see how they did this.

Hope that helps! ^^
  • JalidaJalida Posts: 2,181 Member
    edited January 2010
    so are the distant terrain pieces setup for only 2048x2048 maps, or what?
  • hid6hid6 Posts: 85 New Member
    edited January 2010
    umm Jalida yes its only for dat
  • tondog5tondog5 Posts: 61 New Member
    edited January 2010
    You guys need to see this. Each of the distant terrains have an exact location to be. You need to shape your map to it. You can try and succeed, I imagine, to try it the other way, but if not then visit http://www.thesims3.com/content/global/downloads/caw/CaW_WalkThrough.pdf and scroll down to the distant terrain part.
    Tondog
    edited January 2010
    Thanks for the information, I wish anybody that tries to use the distant terrain as outlined in the walkthru the best of luck.

Just quickly trying it, it's a real nightmare to try to allign the landscape up iwht the Terrain distant, a complete nightmare and I would expect that most of the worlds produced will remain to be islands of one form or another.

However if somebody wanted to put one together (the 2048x2048 world) and the terrain distant and get all the edges of the map to line up, then maybe you'll share it with the rest of us so that we don't have to do the basic part.

Simply create your new world, add the terrain distant object, align the map edges to the terrain distant, stop there and share it through a file sharing host please.

Thanks,
  • ekapaekapa Posts: 249
    edited January 2010
    It's a nightmare, all they have to do is just make the edges flat and square to fit properly against the mainland. Then you can make hills and mountains up to the edge and it would still give the illusion of a valley/mountain range/etc.
    edited January 2010
    I agree that would have been the optimal way of producing this skirting for the game.

Anybody working on creating a simple map that joins up with the skirting that they wouldn't mind distributing to everybody else.

Honestly, I would do it but I've not got the talent to do so.
  • en_GB Anonymousen_GB Anonymous Posts: 283 New Member
    edited January 2010
    Is there any possible way of using the distant terrain for smaller worlds, such as using two terrains and overlapping them or filling the gap with trees? I have not tried anything yet.
  • Sim_OutlawSim_Outlaw Posts: 3,342 Member
    edited January 2010
    What I would do is just make your own distant terrain. they have 2D trees you can use for better performance. Much less time than trying to get distant terrain lined up. Plus you have to sculpt the hills to match the height of the distant terrain. It is suppose to be higher than the ground. It will be up in the air to a certain point.

If you downloaded my world it gives you a good example of making your own distant terrain. Not really that hard at all.

Just look at it from Alpine peak and you will see off in the distance my distant terrain.

To answer the above poster no you will have to make your own.
  • BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    edited January 2010
    I devoted a couple of hours one evening just to messing around with the distant terrain. Keep in mind I only have base game so have only one, the one that goes with Sunset Valley. Here are things I discovered.

Once you figure out how to use the move and rotate button, it's easy enough to get it in the right place at the location you want.

The object is too definite in its boundaries and shape. Trying to put two of them together in a nice arrangement failed because if they were turned to where they would surround my land mass, they overlapped in such a way that they couldn't meet up without looking like a clash of the Titans or some such. Sure, I could build another world based on that DT but if I was going to do that I may as well start with Sunset Valley Lite and redo it.

Then later I experimented with what it takes to stop the camera from panning out over the water. Basically you need to have mountains as high as you possibly can with your height set to 300 wherever you don't want the camera going past for two full bounding boxes, then paint the area in the two bounding box width area with camera routing paint. Even then, you may be able to see past mountains to the water in certain areas.

After messing around with all this stuff I am very, very disappointed at the craptastic job the camera routing paint does and the fact that in-game the ocean around the outside of the map isn't just blocked out if there is camera routing in front of it. As it is, I can push my camera quite a ways beyond where the camera routing paint boundary is. If I turn the camera backward, so that I'm facing the center of the map, I can back up all the way to the edge of the world. Oddly enough, the ocean isn't viewable from that angle but it sure is when I turn the camera around.
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
  • JaciJadeJaciJade Posts: 1,078 Member
    edited January 2010
    I managed to get my distant terrain in after much trial and error. I'll see if I can explain how I did it and hopefully I won't confuse anyone. It's far from perfect and I'm not entirely done but I'm mostly happy with the results.

1. Place the distant terrain, doesn't matter where. I started with a large flat terrain.
    2. Select the terrain and open property browser inside of CAW.
    3. Set the XYZ coordinates in the property browser depending on which distant terrain you selected. Someone posted the correct values earlier in another post.
    4. Start on one edge close to the sea, and try to mold a little of the edge to the distant terrain. If you will notice, some blue is showing on the distant terrain where it meets the waters edge. To me this indicates it needs to be below sea level.
    5. Use the water tool and raise the water level on your terrain, just select high enough up on the small bit you molded earlier so that you can cover that blue section of the distant terrain.
    6. Most of your land (not the distant terrain) will now be underwater at this point... Just work your way around raising terrain and get the edges in. In some cases you might want your hills to extend a bit over the distant terrain edge so it looks good from a distance.
    7. One you get all the edges in, you can now start raising all the middle parts of your terrain and painting.

I think having most of the land underwater to start makes working on the distant terrain edge easier, since you no longer have this wide expanse of green blinding or distracting you. This is a very time consuming operation. Don't feel you have to complete it in one day, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the results. Here are some pics of my terrain. Bare in mind its a work in progress.

2d7emn8.jpg

30wxmo9.jpg

jfyal5.jpg

2d6kv20.jpg
    Thank you EA and thank you Maxis..we got our babies back, Yay!
  • bruuutbruuut Posts: 790 Member
    edited January 2010
    But what object is Distant Terrain object
  • JaciJadeJaciJade Posts: 1,078 Member
    edited January 2010
    In CAW..go to the Metadata section and type in "distant" minus the quotes. It should pop up.
    Thank you EA and thank you Maxis..we got our babies back, Yay!
  • zaq12wsxzaq12wsx Posts: 16 New Member
    edited November 2010
    Hi in caw i am having trouble with the 'distant terrain' because iv made a good neighbourhood using the terrain with a river through the middle of it...... where can i find distant terrain for that? i don't want to use the egyptian one because i don't know how to change the 'distant terrain' style to lush..... please someone help!! :(
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    edited November 2010
    Hello! Well to start off, the distant terrain object is probably the hardest to use. Simply because the coordinates they give you to put into the x, y and z boxes don't line up with where the terrain can be raised. Plus with the newer distant terrains it gets harder to find the exact position of the objects, because they don't say.
  • MeresimPMeresimP Posts: 2,134 Member
    edited January 2012
    Back to post 1

I am working on the same problem. "I would like to get rid of that mass of land in the middle of the ocean feeling."

Have anybody found a way to use DT around a small island?