Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Time Machine Children Question

I've noticed in my game that when a female uses the time machine to travel to the past/future, the chances seem higher for a child to come back through the time machine. Although, her husband has also sired "unwanted" time stream children on his own just at a smaller rate. Has anybody else noticed an increase in female time travelers (non-woohooing and non-trying for children)bringing back more unplanned family members?

Another thing that bothers me is..who is the other parent to all of these kids? :shock:

Comments

• Options
    FlamingoKicker1FlamingoKicker1 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited June 2010
    Don't the other parent show up in the children's family trees?

Wouldn't surprise me if EA just decided not to include details like that.
  • Options
    Dreamin192Dreamin192 Posts: 18 New Member
    edited June 2010
    I've had both the mother and father come back with a kid from the time machine. So I guess I haven't noticed any increase in frequency from one or the other gender.

Flamingo: When a child comes back from the time machine with a sim the family tree only shows one parent.
  • Options
    ZombineolaZombineola Posts: 180
    edited June 2010
    Immaculate conception.
  • Options
    adnama3adnama3 Posts: 82 New Member
    edited June 2010
    They're orphans that your sims are somehow related to.
  • Options
    TraRhoMor09TraRhoMor09 Posts: 7 New Member
    edited June 2010
    Well I had a female sim travel to the past (without trying for a baby) and got a message that said something along the lines of she saw a couple who looked very familiar that was arguing. My sim said something to the couple about love. Then it said that hopefully her words didn't alter the past. Next thing I knew, she returned and later that night a little girl popped up and is in the family tree as her daughter, but not her husband's.

I am assuming that the couple she saw in the past was herself and a past boyfriend and that by her talking to them, she altered the course of their relationship which resulted in a child. I think that was prety cool.
  • Options
    simscapesimscape Posts: 11
    edited June 2010

From my experiences, if one Sim travels to the past or future and comes back with a new addition to the family, the newcomer will only be related to the Sim who time traveled. If two Sims woohoo in the time machine, any result including a new Sim will have him or her related to both Sims who time traveled.
    Well I had a female sim travel to the past (without trying for a baby) and got a message that said something along the lines of she saw a couple who looked very familiar that was arguing. My sim said something to the couple about love. Then it said that hopefully her words didn't alter the past. Next thing I knew, she returned and later that night a little girl popped up and is in the family tree as her daughter, but not her husband's.

I am assuming that the couple she saw in the past was herself and a past boyfriend and that by her talking to them, she altered the course of their relationship which resulted in a child. I think that was prety cool.

I enjoy reading the little messages about what my Sims are experiencing while time traveling, but when I try to figure out how some things result in my Sim having a child, my mind goes... :shock:

I do love the fact that unconventional methods of adding family members was incorporated into this expansion, though.
  • Options
    shelwassshelwass Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited June 2010
    I've had two different female Sims go in the time machine often, and neither have every come back with children. One managed to get a child with the 'try for a baby in the future' function, but then the option never showed up again (even when her boyfriend was over).
  • Options
    kirara2tailkirara2tail Posts: 398 New Member
    edited August 2010
    shelwass wrote:
    I've had two different female Sims go in the time machine often, and neither have every come back with children. One managed to get a child with the 'try for a baby in the future' function, but then the option never showed up again (even when her boyfriend was over).
    "Try for baby" and "Woohoo" in the past or future is the same as "Try for baby" and "Woohoo" in a bed or anywhere else. Rescuing an orphan while traveling to the past or future is different. I definitely agree that women have a higher chance of bringing home a baby. My guy traveled several times from the YA age to the Adult age and never brought home a kid. But the woman saved an orphan after traveling three times.
  • Options
    NikkiKaur15NikkiKaur15 Posts: 477 Member
    edited August 2010
    I have travled 2 th past n future i hve nver had a child *** bck wiv me, do i hve 2 keep on trying??
  • Options
    vulnerableviolinvulnerableviolin Posts: 746 New Member
    edited August 2010
    I'm the opposite.
    I have an inventing family and they're always going to the past.
    The wife has never adopted a kid from the past.
    The husband, however, has adopted so many I've had to age some of them up and move them out.
    I won't let him travel to the past anymore. :lol:
  • Options
    AstronemaAstronema Posts: 21 New Member
    edited August 2010
    How do you time travel??
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited August 2010
    simscape wrote:

From my experiences, if one Sim travels to the past or future and comes back with a new addition to the family, the newcomer will only be related to the Sim who time traveled. If two Sims woohoo in the time machine, any result including a new Sim will have him or her related to both Sims who time traveled.

I enjoy reading the little messages about what my Sims are experiencing while time traveling, but when I try to figure out how some things result in my Sim having a child, my mind goes... :shock:

I do love the fact that unconventional methods of adding family members was incorporated into this expansion, though.

Agreed; when I've had children come back (so far only from the past) through the Time Machine, they're the son/daughter of the Sim who traveled, but step-daughter of the spouse of the Sim and half-brother/half-sister to any other children in the household. It freaked me out the first time it happened, but now I think it's a lot of fun. 8)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited August 2010
    Astronema wrote:
    How do you time travel??

When you get up to about level 9 in Inventing, you end up making a Time Machine (it goes in your Family Inventory because it's so big, so you can take it out of there and place it on your lot). When you click on it, you get the option for your Sim to go to the Past or the Future; if you're married/partnered you can also get an option to WooHoo or Try for Baby in either the Past or Future. Only teens and up can time travel -- kids can't. More than just kids can come back with the Sim; sometimes there'll be some money, new clothes that aren't available in the dresser (I got a really cool Renaissance looking dress for one of my female Sims once), or odd books (especially from the Future).
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    catgirl34catgirl34 Posts: 1
    edited April 2011
    When u get a kid from the past they tend to gain skills really quik. Both of my kids from the past mastered logic in 3 days. My second one mastered painting in under one compleated painting its crazy and also my second one has level nine in inventing in about 3 hours now he is takeing a pee break. So yeaa................. :?: :D
  • Options
    GAMESweetGGAMESweetG Posts: 1,214 Member
    edited April 2011
    Ive had a child sim from the future. My happy couple I made them try for baby in the time machine in the future they came back without any child at first. After a few sim hours an elderly lady comes out saying in notification screen Hello mum hello dad im home. And there elderly old daughter learnt things real fast when using modern things. She even had the some traits from the future aswell like hates old technology and when she walks past anything thats not even close to the future time she says "It could be better this house".

So thats why I had no choice but to buy the Future Shock 2 sets to make her happy which it did.

I tried for a baby in the past but never got a young child.
    sims_forum_sig01OxVtU_display.jpg
    YouTube: Good Sweet Games | SoundCloud: GAMESuite Tunes | Pinterest: GAMESuite Pins | Twitter: GAMESweetG
  • Options
    Shelle58704Shelle58704 Posts: 751 Member
    edited April 2011
    adnama3 wrote:
    They're orphans that your sims are somehow related to.
    I thought they were exact copies of which ever adult went into the time machine. That's been my experience at least. I usually end up giving them diffferent traits though.
  • Options
    SimfanohioSimfanohio Posts: 1
    edited November 2011
    I have never had my sims woohoo in a time machine i never knew they could until today they are a married sculpter inventer couple with no children and they wanted to have them so i had them do woohoo in the time machine in the future after a while an elderly sim came out saying he was their son from the future and was added to the family so i sent them back to the past to woohoo and i am waiting to see what happens.I have sent my female sim before to the future and she brought back a book from there no child or clothing I have had my couple woohoo meny times now in the time machine and have resulted in two teenage caveman sons who are not twins and one son who is a knight so i will have to see whatelse happens this is very interesting for me to see them have all these kids without having to potty train teach them to walk and talk.but for some reason they all have said my couple woohoos has them in the future or past and leaves them behind in a cave for them to fallow when they are of age to do so that is interesting.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    zerhaizerhai Posts: 21
    edited November 2011
    I have been messing with this for a while...... and from my experience I have not seen any sort of pattern, it seems to be completely random when a child comes back from the past, though not from the future, or maybe they do but i haven't come across it. My current sim couple both has their skills maxed out.... (combination of cheating and maxed out life spans in options way too easy to do) the father has come back with two sons who look exactly like him physically. I have been trying to get the mother to go to the past but i have not gotten on child from the time machine for her, nor since the last boy have i been able to get another child for the father either. this is not including the daughter i started them with and the triplets they had as well.
  • Options
    trevanismithtrevanismith Posts: 89 New Member
    edited December 2011
    lol the sims time machine babies you have both parents at your house i.e. the other parent lives in the house
  • Options
    StellaTorontoStellaToronto Posts: 2,123 Member
    edited December 2011
    I've acquired 2 Time Machine children both from the past.
    Maybe Sims traits influence who gets time travel children?
    I know both my TT sims that got children had family oriented & one also had good.
    My TM children: 1 teenager girl & 1 child boy.
    I TTed a lot so wasn't paying attention to what my sims were doing while travellings, so I'll never know how the children ended up in the family.
    They both learned things faster than usual. :shock:
    Once I changed their clothes & hair styles, they fit in perfectly. Made friends & had live like any other Sims.
    I was just happy to miss the baby&toddler stage. :wink:
    stellatorontosims.tumblr.com
  • Options
    shogunfishshogunfish Posts: 10,167 Member
    edited December 2011
    I haven't time travelled enough to have anyone ever come back with a kid. So I don't know if male or female is more likely to have a kid come back.
    tumblr_mvnzkbN6yD1ric1guo1_1280.png
  • Options
    TheRaniTheRani Posts: 14 New Member
    edited January 2012
    My female inventor Sim went to the past alone, and came back with some little orphan girl named Noelle who looked a lot like a younger version of her. Noelle's traits are Virtuoso, Heavy Sleeper, and Unlucky. I am thinking this kid may eventually have a midlife crisis.
  • Options
    lwllms007lwllms007 Posts: 17 Member
    edited January 2012
    I finally got a Time machine kid. I had one sim who was traveling at every available chance and she never brought home items, money, or children. But I made a new family and they tried for baby in the past I think, a few hours later their adult cave woman daughter came through complaining about being left in a cave. :D

They do bring home a lot of money though, I haven't noticed any increased skill gain though. :?
  • Options
    pisces_foopisces_foo Posts: 27 New Member
    edited January 2012
    I'm really surprised! My sim brings back a cute little boy from the past!
    Lilian overheard at a small cafe a discussion on how hard it is to take care of children. Snidely, Lilian remarked that children are the most important product anyone can make. One of the Sims there left very thoughtful, and it might have been one of Lilian's ancestors. Hopefully that didn't change time.

Maybe having the Kleptomaniac trait can increase chances :lol:
    BWT it's strange that my sim's 5th trait commitment issues is shown as ??? in the boy's panel. Too young to know what is that?

timemachine.jpg

Single mother with unexpected child ^
  • Options
    mercifullynewmercifullynew Posts: 103 Member
    edited January 2012
    I didn't know this was a possibility! That's exciting!