Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Read this! Cyclic Redundancy Check (Updated 6/4/09, 18:00 CDT)

SimGuru_BGY_11SimGuru_BGY_11 Posts: 7,508 SimGuru (retired)
edited February 27 in Nominated Threads
Hi, simmers!

If you are experiencing a cyclic redundancy check error, we'd like you to do the following so we can keep the number of threads on that issue to a minimum:

*Run the Windows Defragmenter software on your system. Fragmented hard disk space can cause this error.

*CRC errors may also be caused by a hard disk or DVD drive failing or being unable to write consistent data.

If you have run the Defragmenter software and are continuing to experience this error, please contact your system's manufacturer for further diagnostics.

Update:
It appears that in some cases, users that are using the EA download Manager version of The Sims 3 may experience this error if their download is paused. To resolve this issue, perform the following steps:

*Click on the red x in the upper right part of the Sims 3 download to clear the EADM cache.
*Re-download The Sims 3; do not pause the download.

Update 2 (6/4/09):
There is a new FAQ addressing this issue:
https://easims.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/easims.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=22234

We understand that this has become a very frustrating issue for many simmers that are eager to play the game, and as more information or solutions become available, we will post them here in the Support forum. Thank you all for your patience!
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• Jessica31Jessica31 Posts: 1 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Hi- So this CRC error does not mean that I have an inadequate system for this game?
  • SimGuru_BGY_11SimGuru_BGY_11 Posts: 7,508 SimGuru (retired)
    edited June 2009
    Systems that are below the minimum requirements do not typically cause CRC errors. However, the behavior of the game can be unpredictable at best when run on a system that is below requirements.

-Big Guy-
  • saveoursouls2008saveoursouls2008 Posts: 341 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Jessica31 wrote:
    Hi- So this CRC error does not mean that I have an inadequate system for this game?

Not if so many people are having the same issue.
  • IRKAYLAIRKAYLA Posts: 105 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Do we post our DxDiag repots here?
    edited June 2009
    Hey Big Guy. My game works now! All I did was remove EA Content Manager. Clean install, no errors. Also had to remove it from my C drive Program files. Might wanna mention this a little more clearly.
  • ROWKEMROWKEM Posts: 38 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Hey Big Guy. My game works now! All I did was remove EA Content Manager. Clean install, no errors. Also had to remove it from my C drive Program files. Might wanna mention this a little more clearly.

Wish it was this easy for everyone. I've never had the EADM and I keep getting this error within the first 10% of installation. Defragged and still nothing.
  • Targ999Targ999 Posts: 45 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Jessica31 wrote:

Not if so many people are having the same issue.

CRC errors are generally associated with a read error from the source as it is trying to be read. I suspect that people with older DVD drives MAY have problems reading certain DVD discs, and that is what the problem is.
  • BevTweetyBevTweety Posts: 116 Member
    edited June 2009
    I'm of course am having the same problem...however i don't know what u mean by log into EADM...i never paused the installation when mine started doing this i did the 1st. time try to retry it and nothing happened so i tried ignore and still nothing..it is fustrating when u don't know that much about computers and understand what someone maybe saying....could u plsz explain clearer what u mean? thank u
  • KatoraKatora Posts: 20 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I have this issue, too. Running defrag now, hope that fixes it... I've been waiting long enough to play as it is, lol. *sigh*
  • NoDakGypsyNoDakGypsy Posts: 10 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I ran the install and also got the error message. I defraged my computer for the 2nd time in a week and once again tried to install.
    No luck.
    I just love spending $50+ of my hard earned money on a product that isn't up to par. Job well done!
  • ROWKEMROWKEM Posts: 38 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Nice job moderators. "Lets post replies to one of the thousand issues and then go offline..."

Way to make your customers happy, EA. I'm really just wanting my money back for this and I'll get the game in 3 months when they've worked out the **** bugs.
  • laughingurl43laughingurl43 Posts: 1 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I ran the defrag. Still hasn't helped. My install won't move from the screen C:/.../Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Caches/Sunset Valley.objectCache
  • xxemylizzlexxxxemylizzlexx Posts: 7 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I did the defrag.. but I still can't install it. I'm still having the same exact problem. Any other ways I can fix this?
    edited June 2009
    I ran the defrag. Still hasn't helped. My install won't move from the screen C:/.../Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Caches/Sunset Valley.objectCache

ditto this. defrag = no help. stuck on same part, then the error comes up over and over to no avail. $70 on a game, pre-ordered... cant play it. :/
  • PML07PML07 Posts: 7 New Member
    edited June 2009
    This is REALLY frustrating...the game is practically 98% installed, but it just won't finish cause of the CRC error! It keeps getting stuck on the FullBuild1.Package. I've been installing this game for almost 9 hours straight so i'm not about to cancel the installation and start over. :evil: Defragmenting my comp now...we'll see if that does anything. Why is it so slow???
  • Colgate37Colgate37 Posts: 3 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I had the same thing come up. Ran the defrag and nothing happened. Second time I just pressed ignore, seemed to finish the installation so I will cross my fingers.
  • NoDakGypsyNoDakGypsy Posts: 10 New Member
    edited June 2009
    PML07 wrote:
    This is REALLY frustrating...the game is practically 98% installed, but it just won't finish cause of the CRC error! It keeps getting stuck on the FullBuild1.Package. I've been installing this game for almost 9 hours straight so i'm not about to cancel the installation and start over. :evil: Defragmenting my comp now...we'll see if that does anything. Why is it so slow???

My install also had problems when it got to the FullBuild1.Package
  • MCole54MCole54 Posts: 15 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I defragged and it didn't help a bit. So. I haven't tried just hitting Ignore for the CRC error, let me know what that does.
  • Colgate37Colgate37 Posts: 3 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Ignore doesnt work. It took me through the rest of the installation, but when I went to play the game it wouldnt run it. Oh well.. had to try.
    edited June 2009
    I did try to install the game on my laptop and it worked. Of course my laptop isn't at all set up for that, so I'm not going to play it. But that's a little disheartening... Could it be all of our computers not up to spec somehow?
  • xxemylizzlexxxxemylizzlexx Posts: 7 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I'm starting to think this was the biggest waste of money ever. I've been trying to install this game all day. I have officially memorized my game code because I have entered it so many times. I ran the defrag for my computer, attempted to restart it, and nothing. I'm going to try the ignore thing, but from what you guys are saying, I can already tell this won't work.

I'm just hoping that there will be something soon to fix this completely...
    edited June 2009
    I was able to install this on my husbands computer just fine, but I can't really play on his computer, he's on it all the time. I was also able to install it on my laptop without a problem. However, my laptops video card is crap, so I wont be playing on there either. My desktop is an amazing computer - and should run the game beautifully - but it will not install. I've even come to the point of desperation of restoring my desktop to its factory condition to see if something along the way I've done has caused my computer to not accept this game, or this game to not accept my computer, whichever. I hated doing that, but I did back up all my pictures and stuff. If this doesn't fix the problem - I don't know what I'll do, besides cry like a baby.

So far I have a very expensive spiffy flash drive out of this. :/
  • LonerACE24LonerACE24 Posts: 24 New Member
    edited June 2009
    hey all make sure that ur cd is clean and free of scratches witch can happen also if ur comp is older try cleaning ur dvd drive if that doesnt work and ur computer is at the min specs then i would thinking about getting a new dvd drive
    edited June 2009
    MCole54 wrote:
    I did try to install the game on my laptop and it worked. Of course my laptop isn't at all set up for that, so I'm not going to play it. But that's a little disheartening... Could it be all of our computers not up to spec somehow?

Have you seen how many pages are on this forum? It's EAs lack of help and programming. Every bodies computer is not below req. spec. I have a brand new computer, so do a lot of simmers yet we can't play the game. Ill show you on a cute little graph how well my specs are better than minimum.

(...................1..........2)

The 1 here represents min. spec. The 2 represents how far ahead my specs are compared to the minimum.
    edited June 2009
    Katora, let me know how restoring your computer to it's factory default works for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top