Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

im standing my ground

124...Next

Comments

• Options
    SucomSucom Posts: 1,709 Member
    edited January 2012
    One of the reasons why I'm not too concerned about being unable to turn off simport is because I'm used to ignoring certain aspects of the game that I don't enjoy by using cheats and shift clicking to remove wishes. I always play with cheats on, although I know there will be many who don't, so I know that this won't work for everyone.

Wishes that involve travel come to mind because I avoid travelling like the plague since World Adventures caused problems in my game. So when those wishes or opportunities come up to visit another town pop up, I get rid of them instantly. I'm thinking I can do the same with Simport. If the desire appears, one click and it's gone and forgotten about. This won't be a new problem in my game, I already deal with it so I'm thinking Showtime won't be so different in that respect. But I wouldn't wish to remove World Adventures because I love many of the objects in that game and wouldn't want to do without them.
  • Options
    Cobesta97Cobesta97 Posts: 964 Member
    edited January 2012
    Have you even considered not buying the game?
  • Options
    SucomSucom Posts: 1,709 Member
    edited January 2012
    Cobesta97 wrote:

Speaking for myself, I'm standing my ground in that I know for sure that I will most definitely be buying Showtime for the reasons below:

If I'm lucky enough to find friends who would actually like to chat with me, and simport poses no problems, then I'll use them. If no-one wants to chat with me or I discover I don't like the new social features, I'll just ignore that aspect of the game.

I'm looking forward to the new objects and careers. I quite fancy the idea of trying to build a venue for my sims to perform in.

The cost of the EP is little or no more than I might perhaps spend on one evening out so even if I tire of the new careers after 1 month, I will consider myself to still have my money's worth. Also I will benefit from all the new objects permanently installed in my game.

The changes EA are trying to implement intrigue me so I will just have to find out for myself what it is all about.
  • Options
    jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    edited January 2012
    There hasbeen nasty pictures sent to me from a simmer on this forum and I was thinking that they are making a game that allows other sims to come into our game, they are gearing the game toward 11-14 yr olds who are very volnerable and not very wise and this simmer comes off as a friend and so I see this game heading for trouble if he send nasty pictures their way or makes nasty sims and sends them tto the game, what is that going to do? I really worry about this. He got my screen name by trolling these forums for people to harass, he also sends death threats and stuff, very scarey stuff. I think that there should at least be some safeguards to help our young with this. I was told at the help center that there are no safeguards on it. I was also told that they cannot do anything about the creep, so I guess it is allowed.
  • Options
    TiumiTiumi Posts: 545 New Member
    edited January 2012
    Pary wrote:
    I also do not like being forced to have social options in my game. Whether you can opt out of simport or not, it appears you cannot turn it off. I also have issues with what I have seen and read about Origin, particularly how invasive it is.
    As I said in an earlier post, we can all rant until we're blue in the face but EA will not listen. While I myself am going to make no difference to them by refusing to buy SHT or patch or anything else, it will make a difference to ME. I feel I have to stand up for my principles, which include not letting some game company deciding for me that I should be using social networking in a single player sandbox game, that already has next to no sand left in the box.

This is exactly it, for me. This describes where I am at now with the situation, also. Especially this part in your post, "While I myself am going to make no difference to them by refusing to buy SHT or patch or anything else, it will make a difference to ME."
  • Options
    MsShadelingMsShadeling Posts: 163 Member
    edited January 2012
    I rarely post on these forums and returned recently to post my response to the early Showtime rumors and news, then I drifted away again but my opinion has not changed. I'm still not intending to buy Showtime until its in the bargain bin, maybe not even then depending.

Up until now, I've bought every Sims base game and expansion back on or near the day of release, including Generations which I was really lukewarm about. Still am, the game seemed to swallow it up and that was it, hardly any noticeable impact save for a few extra interactions. Anyway, this time I'm feeling very comfortable with the idea that March will come around and I won't be clamoring to buy it. The only way I can see my mind changing is if we will be reassured that the social networking aspect can be shut off entirely and we won't be penalized for it (ie, miss out on objects, etc.)
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited January 2012
    Cobesta97 wrote:

Have you ever considered taking the time to actually *read* these forums and count up the number of people who are coming out and saying that they are *not* buying the game?

And if you took the time to read the original post, you would probably know that the whole point of this thread is that the OP is *not* buying the game.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    edited January 2012
    I haven't stopped being opposed to the game.
    I haven't even updated my game with the patch because I don't want the stupid ingame ads. (I heard you can turn them off but still!)
    Actually this is the first time I've been back since the announcement.
    I'm really not impressed with EA

What in game ads? None of the updates I installed have had ads and my game says its up to date.But if there is ads in the game, that is so stupid.I bet their planning on having us pay extra to remove the ads-which would be totally unfair.
  • Options
    blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    edited January 2012
    I haven't stopped being opposed to the game.
    I haven't even updated my game with the patch because I don't want the stupid ingame ads. (I heard you can turn them off but still!)
    Actually this is the first time I've been back since the announcement.
    I'm really not impressed with EA

What in game ads? None of the updates I installed have had ads and my game says its up to date.But if there is ads in the game, that is so stupid.I bet their planning on having us pay extra to remove the ads-which would be totally unfair.

If you enable the "Shop Mode" or in-game store you will see ads for sales on objects in the store while in buy/build mode. Well you do have to be connected to the internet too.

In your Documents/EA/The Sims 3 directory there's a folder titled "Featured Items". There are a number of .png images with the featured ads. Mine numbered to 181. I deleted them, but they do come back if you connect to the internet while playing.
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited January 2012
    Cobesta97 wrote:

Wow, the thought never even occurred to me ! Thank you for the monumental idea !

*headdesk*

:roll:
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    edited January 2012
    Jarsie9 wrote:
    windweaver, I know you're talking to the OP, but I, personally, don't see myself being hurt by skipping out on Showtime. Sure there are a lot of objects that come with it that I would like to have in TS3, but in the long run, I see myself as being spared a lot of hassle.

I'm fully prepared to uninstall the whole shebang if EA keeps insisting on adding things to my game with patches that will eventually require me to go online. I've been playing this game for ten years. That's a long time to focus on just one game. As much as I like this franchise, I do have a lot better things to do with my time than to just sit back and allow some corporation to dictate the way I play my game.

So, I hope you're happy and enjoy your game, I really do. But, frankly, I think there's going to be a whole lot of ranting going on come Release Day in March. Then I'll be glad I saved my money, and I won't feel hurt at all.

Jarsie, I love the new you! I play ts3 so little, I think once or twice a month or so. Seems so silly to keep buying the expansions, but I think deep down, I keep hoping that each new ep will bring this game back to what we knew in the days of ts2. ......I know, wishful thinking, lol.

I'm betting you are right, but I'm just hoping that I'll find something in this game that will make me love it again. If not, I hoping that rumor about a "Maxis style sims game" in the works is true and I'm hoping that all my pent up frustration with ts3 will all disappear if that rumor is true.

Happy Simming, whether it's ts2 or ts3!!
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    edited January 2012
    Pary wrote:
    I feel I have to stand up for my principles, which include not letting some game company deciding for me that I should be using social networking in a single player sandbox game, that already has next to no sand left in the box.

This is the best statement/summary of the current situation that I have read all week!

Windweaver, I kept hoping EA would bring this game back, too, because I do love it and it's the only video game I play or even want to play. It wasn't until they announced Showtime that I finally had to admit that they are not going to ever make this game better. I would love to be proved wrong, but I don't think I am. If they could let bugs and Store content stay broken for years at a time, and spend their time developing social features that the majority of simmers don't even want, that pretty much told me that that this is as good as it's going to get with TS3, and that is very, very sad.

I like TS3; sometimes it still has the power to amaze me. But the stupid, half-baked systems they keep creating in this game just all bubbled over for me when they announced this stupid, vapid EP. First there were the rabbit holes; I really didn't mind these so much since it wasn't that different from when sims disappeared off-lot to go to work. At least we could see where they were heading off to in the 'hood! Although I didn't like having the shops be RH's, too. Then there was the lame story progression (great idea, horrible execution) that gave babies to random sims and deleted families that you purposely added to the game. In WA, the game ate your sims and tombs never reset so there was no replay value, and having sims in different games solve the same tombs over and over wasn't very interesting anyway. Then there was AMB, which I didn't think was bad at all; at least it did add new non-RH careers, although the tasks seem awful repetitive if not downright boring.

Late Night brought the runaway star and vampire problems, as well as the car build-ups in inventory that can bring your game to it's knees. Generations brought the terrible memory system and the completely nonsensical jealousy system, complete with rabbit hole proms where your relatives can invite you and 'fun and hilarity' can ensue. Well, fun if you're into funky, anyway. :lol:

So anyway, all this disassatisfaction I have felt all along with the game just sort of came to a head when they announced this lame EP that will be full of goal-oriented play with little repeat value. So no, I am not planning to buy it even though up to now I have bought all of the EPs and most of the Store content. They want new players, fine, it's their call, and I realize that some people actually like the sound of this EP. Hope they enjoy it, I really do.

Is this difficult for me nonetheless? Yes! Like I said, this is the only game I play and I am very sad to give it up. I would really rather not. If modders figure out how to stomp kill the social aspects and I can pick it up cheap, then maybe I will purchase it someday, but those are a lot of "if's".

Most of all I would like a game that contains more social interactions, especially relationship/family ones, instead of being focused on goal-oriented, single YA/A sim play. And I want more open venues, more places to go and things to do in this open neighborhood. Shoot, from the start I thought it was sad that they took away the car animations. Why did they have to do that?

Sorry for the wall of text, but I am really disappointed in EA. Of course there's always TS4 to look forward to, but based on what EA has done with TS3 I am no longer banking on that, either. :cry:

The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    edited January 2012
    Don't worry Tangie, I agree with you. I am afraid that the only game I play will be alienated from me too. I really loved this game, I have lots of wonderful memories from all 3 series. :cry:
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • Options
    lvla12ylvla12y Posts: 727 New Member
    edited January 2012
    Most of all I would like a game that contains more social interactions, especially relationship/family ones, instead of being focused on goal-oriented, single YA/A sim play. And I want more open venues, more places to go and things to do in this open neighborhood. Shoot, from the start I thought it was sad that they took away the car animations. Why did they have to do that?

^^this..
  • Options
    PsychYourMind08PsychYourMind08 Posts: 3,464 Member
    edited January 2012
    Pary wrote:
    I feel I have to stand up for my principles, which include not letting some game company deciding for me that I should be using social networking in a single player sandbox game, that already has next to no sand left in the box.

This is the best statement/summary of the current situation that I have read all week!

Windweaver, I kept hoping EA would bring this game back, too, because I do love it and it's the only video game I play or even want to play. It wasn't until they announced Showtime that I finally had to admit that they are not going to ever make this game better. I would love to be proved wrong, but I don't think I am. If they could let bugs and Store content stay broken for years at a time, and spend their time developing social features that the majority of simmers don't even want, that pretty much told me that that this is as good as it's going to get with TS3, and that is very, very sad.

I like TS3; sometimes it still has the power to amaze me. But the stupid, half-baked systems they keep creating in this game just all bubbled over for me when they announced this stupid, vapid EP. First there were the rabbit holes; I really didn't mind these so much since it wasn't that different from when sims disappeared off-lot to go to work. At least we could see where they were heading off to in the 'hood! Although I didn't like having the shops be RH's, too. Then there was the lame story progression (great idea, horrible execution) that gave babies to random sims and deleted families that you purposely added to the game. In WA, the game ate your sims and tombs never reset so there was no replay value, and having sims in different games solve the same tombs over and over wasn't very interesting anyway. Then there was AMB, which I didn't think was bad at all; at least it did add new non-RH careers, although the tasks seem awful repetitive if not downright boring.

Late Night brought the runaway star and vampire problems, as well as the car build-ups in inventory that can bring your game to it's knees. Generations brought the terrible memory system and the completely nonsensical jealousy system, complete with rabbit hole proms where your relatives can invite you and 'fun and hilarity' can ensue. Well, fun if you're into funky, anyway. :lol:

So anyway, all this disassatisfaction I have felt all along with the game just sort of came to a head when they announced this lame EP that will be full of goal-oriented play with little repeat value. So no, I am not planning to buy it even though up to now I have bought all of the EPs and most of the Store content. They want new players, fine, it's their call, and I realize that some people actually like the sound of this EP. Hope they enjoy it, I really do.

Is this difficult for me nonetheless? Yes! Like I said, this is the only game I play and I am very sad to give it up. I would really rather not. If modders figure out how to stomp kill the social aspects and I can pick it up cheap, then maybe I will purchase it someday, but those are a lot of "if's".

Sorry for the wall of text, but I am really disappointed in EA. Of course there's always TS4 to look forward to, but based on what EA has done with TS3 I am no longer banking on that, either. :cry:

Pretty much all of this.
    I would also like to add that the game itself, without many new and unique venues feels very shallow. In all of the EPs we get the general run of the mill items - beds, toilets, stoves, tables, chairs - but all of the cool, special items are all just decor. Just feels very phony. Stuff packs are also famous for this. In the past, they added totally new items (along with necessities) with new animations. But they stopped doing that...all of the items feel like shells. They put al of the *cool* content in the store so you can spend even more money...that is, if the overpriced EPs and SPs or neighborhoods weren't enough.

Seeing everyone's dissatisfaction is making me realize why I don't play Sims 3 so often....
  • Options
    kama674kama674 Posts: 1,618 Member
    edited January 2012
    Pary wrote:

Pretty much all of this.
    I would also like to add that the game itself, without many new and unique venues feels very shallow. In all of the EPs we get the general run of the mill items - beds, toilets, stoves, tables, chairs - but all of the cool, special items are all just decor. Just feels very phony. Stuff packs are also famous for this. In the past, they added totally new items (along with necessities) with new animations. But they stopped doing that...all of the items feel like shells. They put al of the *cool* content in the store so you can spend even more money...that is, if the overpriced EPs and SPs or neighborhoods weren't enough.

Seeing everyone's dissatisfaction is making me realize why I don't play Sims 3 so often....

^ Definitly all of this. I know that now it's probably too late for EA to change anything about this EP now, but I hope that future ones will be a lot less dissapointing.

I really do miss the sims 2 now. You could play the game for hours and never get bored yet with the sims 3... sure new stuff is great but I tend to get bored after just a few weeks.
  • Options
    SheltieFan80SheltieFan80 Posts: 49 Member
    edited January 2012
    No I'm still against it. I'm so mad that ea is going this rout and not making a version without those features. This is probably going to be the last ep that I buy because I don't want my game or pc ruined, and what if they continue with the other eps. That is why I'm really upset. I loved it being an offline game. Why can't they just keep it separate. I wouldn't of cared then. I would of said great more money for them and the game can stay the same for none online simmers, but noooo. Please dont correct my grammer. :)
  • Options
    puffyamiumi22puffyamiumi22 Posts: 77 Member
    edited January 2012
    No I'm still against it. I'm so mad that ea is going this rout and not making a version without those features. This is probably going to be the last ep that I buy because I don't want my game or pc ruined, and what if they continue with the other eps. That is why I'm really upset. I loved it being an offline game. Why can't they just keep it separate. I wouldn't of cared then. I would of said great more money for them and the game can stay the same for none online simmers, but noooo. Please dont correct my grammer. :)

You took the words right out of my mouth. I don't like the fact that the laptop I just bought in August, since my desktop died (and it was above system requirements, my laptop is too), could possibly get ruined if I buy this game. I use this laptop for school and for my games, it was pretty expensive too, I'm pretty sure getting a virus, getting it hacked into, and/or spending $40 on an expansion pack that has objects that should've been on LN is out of the question. I will not be buying this expansion pack, I put it in bold so I don't get people saying "If you don't like it don't buy it" blah blah blah. I've been buying Sims and the Expansion Packs since it first came out and for the first time ever, I'm not buying an expansion pack or pre-ordering it.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    edited January 2012
    I'm sure, that since I'm a collector kind of person I'll buy it eventually.....but.... I am waiting for two things. I want to see if the social feature is really optional and can be ignored/turned off. I also want to see reviews from actual players. I've found that the EPs since Ambitions have not kept me all that interested for any length of time but I end up liking the EP for the additional items it includes. I just can't justify paying 39.00 for new stuff. I'll wait till the price drops.

Edited for additional comment.

If the social aspect can't be turned off....no I won't be getting it. I'm not buying Master Suite either when it comes out. It just seems redundant and that face mask....why?
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    NancyNancy Posts: 380 Member
    edited January 2012
    Jarsie9 wrote:
    Cobesta97 wrote:

Have you ever considered taking the time to actually *read* these forums and count up the number of people who are coming out and saying that they are *not* buying the game?

And if you took the time to read the original post, you would probably know that the whole point of this thread is that the OP is *not* buying the game.
    He wasn't replying to the original post he was replying to Sucom, who says she is most definitly buying the game, that's her choice the same as if someone doesn't want to buy it then thats their choice. At the risk of sounding mean maybe YOU need to spend more time reading the posts
  • Options
    catchmecatchme Posts: 237
    edited January 2012
    The sims franchise has always made great games untilll now. Thats why I say im standing my ground they need to know that fans have noticed
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    edited January 2012
    catchme wrote:
    The sims franchise has always made great games untilll now. Thats why I say im standing my ground they need to know that fans have noticed

Some fans are not satisfied with ST/Social features/SimPort.

Some fans are satisfied with ST/Social features/SimPort.

Some fans are neutral. (That would be me.)

All fans have different opinions about how they feel about ST. It is misleading to try to speak for the whole TS3 fanbase when the truth is not everyone feels the same way.

You may know this already but the way you worded your sentences makes it sound as if you believe all fans must feel the same as you and some others.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”