Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Mac Specs? Is this okay to run Sims 3? HELP! :)

Okay so I just got a new 2011 iMac and I got to playing the Sims 3 and it just didn't look right.
Here are my computers specs:

Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 (11C74)

But I'm confused about one thing. When I went to run the game, and I got to the neighborhood a message came up that said. "No supported Video Graphics Card Detected" or something like that. What I need to know is why would it say that? And how do I improve the graphics? Like what settings do you suggest on Sims 3 for better performance?

And would I be able to add other Sims expansions to it? I also have a disc that works for both PC and Mac. But I think it may be better if I buy the game from the Apple Website that is 29.95? Wouldn't it be better if I had the actual Sims 3 made for mac?

Any help would be great! :) Sorry about all the questions, I'm new to Mac!

Comments

• ebreezyxebreezyx Posts: 485
    edited January 2012
    BUMP!!!!!!
  • SimMommy05SimMommy05 Posts: 2,574 Member
    edited January 2012
    You might get more help if you reposted this in the MAC section. This forum moves so fast that it's easily for people to miss your post. :)

Sorry I can't help you myself, I know nothing about MACS, so I will give this another free bump for you.
    edited January 2012
    Lol, I posted it in the Mac section too. I was just frustrated because no one hardly ever looks there. But thanks! :)
  • SimMommy05SimMommy05 Posts: 2,574 Member
    edited January 2012
    Perhaps post it in the tech section too? Those guys over there usually answer pretty quick. Other than that, I am all out of ideas.
    edited January 2012
    I did :/ Hopefully someone will answer me soon and I'll get help. But I'm going to talk to my Uncle, because he's like a beast with mac computers, so he might know what to do. :)
  • blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
    edited January 2012
    Unfortunately, I don't do Macs. When it comes to gaming I think it's a Windows World. :wink:
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).
  • bob007bob007 Posts: 10,062 Member
    edited January 2012
    That graphics should run the game just fine. What happens when you install the game and the game can not recognize the chip, the game should install with game settings at max so you might have to tweak it a little.
    I do not work for EA nor do I have any association with EA. I am a gamer helping other gamers.
  • mercifullynewmercifullynew Posts: 103 Member
    edited January 2012
    I have a mac that is 2 1/2 years old. I have had zero problems running the sims, although I turn off the shadows and things like that. Those specs look fabulous to run the Sims full speed ahead.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited January 2012
    That should be fine -- it's just a little lower than mine (I have the 6770M card) and have been playing (all EPs and SPs) with no major problems. You might eventually want to up the RAM if you can; I went ahead and upgraded to the full 16GB available and my system runs really smoothly (not just with The Sims but also other programs including web browsing).

Okay, just checked the chart at Mod The Sims:

http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS3_System_Requirements#Desktop_Graphics_Card_Compatibility_and_Recommendations

and according to them, all the Radeon HD 67xx series work with all the packs. The 4GB memory might be an issue down the road though. That particular model can take a max of 8GB (that's one reason I decided to go one step up to the 2.7Ghz model) so you might want to consider upgrading that as soon as you can; if you have any authorized Apple repair shops in your area they can do it way cheaper than the Apple Store will charge. I saved close to $200 on the upgrade over what the Apple Store would have charged, and they also wiped the hard drive of my old iMac and took care of the recycling (I had everything backed up to my Time Machine drive, no worries) for an extra $35.

As for the disk, they're all for PC and Mac -- you wouldn't get anything different from the Apple store. The Mac version technically runs under an emulator which is why there's only one disk that covers both systems.

Settings: start with them fairly low, then gradually move them up till you find a setting that doesn't affect performance too much but still looks halfway decent. You might have to do a bit of juggling to find out what works best for you.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)