Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Addict's Building on a Budget TUTORIAL SERIES...Second part now added!

addict1220addict1220 Posts: 3,778 New Member
EDIT:

Hello again!
I have finally finished part 2 of the budget building starter tutorial. I hope some of you will check it out and let me know what you think!

http://www.thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=80320

_________________________________________________________________________________
MESSAGE FROM TUTORIAL #1 Announcement:

Hello,
For the past couple of days I have been working on my first tutorial. It is a how-to on keeping the costs down when building budget builds like starters. This is the first in an intended series of three stories on the subject. I feel like the amount of words on some slides may be too much, but I wanted to be deliberate and thorough in my explanations. I am also helping there is something new to be learned here for nearly every builder.

I would really love some feedback so I can improve my work for the next two starters. Thanks for your time, and I hope you will find it helpful!

Addict

http://www.thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=65685

Comments

• TnT_TJTnT_TJ Posts: 479 Member
    edited July 2009
    Very nicely done tutorial, and it has some very valuable tips and ideas in it on how to save on the budget. Recommended and added to favorites :o)
  • badtothebone322badtothebone322 Posts: 5,914 Member
    edited July 2009
    Very nice! I learned a lot from it@
    FamilyPortrait1.png
    Click my signature to check out my TS4 legacy challenge!
  • anita2606anita2606 Posts: 177 Member
    edited July 2009
    Very nice. A lot of really helpful tips, added to my favorites :)
  • ChessackChessack Posts: 227 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Very well done.

Having struggled and given up on the uploading pics/journaling interface here, I am in awe that you could make a well-written 36 page slide show using the uploading features. Your patience must be much higher than mine!

C
  • KayllistiKayllisti Posts: 399 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Thanks for the tutorial! rec'd
  • TwitchesTwitches Posts: 221 New Member
    edited July 2009
    page 14..15..
    the addition of a foundation block to fill in tile
    isnt that uneeded for a single tile?
    once the others are in a place that single open square should fill in with a placement grid,[place tiles new placement areas open] this is usually true for two squares out from what is supprted isn't it?
    I mean i know you can delete the block after but it saves a step or two, same for floor above the ground floor, means you dont need to set and column or wall.
  • BTFotoBTFoto Posts: 436 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Great tutorial Addict! Really well written, easy to follow instructions. There's stuff for every level of builder. I learned a few things that I didn't know before; hopefully I can apply them to some more starters! I rec'd it. Great job. :D
  • addict1220addict1220 Posts: 3,778 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Hooray! So glad people like it. :D
    It did take a lot of time and patience, Chessack. I want to do two more, but I might need a little break...lol

Twitches,
    The fill them in to get one more tile works only so far. Because the actual floor that is supported is so far away, the tiles are unsupported. If you look closely, you'll see that though the tiles around it are filled in, you won't see the placement grid on the four squares I mentioned. The empty tiles are each three spaces or more away from the only true support (the foundation pieces at each corner.)

Addict
  • buddycheadbuddychead Posts: 2,223 Member
    edited July 2009
    nice job addict
  • BennjoonBennjoon Posts: 1,909 Member
    edited July 2009
    Awesome tutorial I loved it :) loads of neat tips I will use them for my pinochle starters :D one thing i do when I make a budget house is use the cheapest wall or floor and recolour it rather than buy more expensive flooring :) the roof tip is awesome tho I will deffo use that hehe.
  • TerentiaTerentia Posts: 353 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Looking forward to the next 2 installments. :)

edited July 2009
    Hi, ladies.
    Terentia, I'll probably take a small break before writing the next ones. I need to get my build for Summer of Love done! But I'll let you know when they're in. :-)

Bennjoon, I love to do that for walls and floors. I'll be going into some CAS discussion in the third installment, which is more about interior decorating.

Buddychead, thanks for popping in and taking time to look and comment!

Addict
    edited July 2009
    BT,
    I'm so glad you found it beneficial. I tried to do some more familiar tricks as well as some less known ones.

Anita and TnT,
    Thanks for the supreme compliment of adding the story to your favorites! :oops:

Addict
  • RawlaRawla Posts: 7,495 Member
    edited July 2009
    Excellent Tutorial! I did not not quite get the reason for turning the mailbox in different directions though. But I did learn quite a few very helpful tips. Thank you Addict! Job well done! :)
  • TwitchesTwitches Posts: 221 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Mailbox points to where the camera is for taking the lots upload pictures..cool trick and definately something i did not know
    so if you want the view from the rear, point the mailbox towards your backyard, want it from the street point the mailbox at the sidewalk
  • AnjubeeAnjubee Posts: 1,935 Member
    edited July 2009
    Glad you finally were able to get all the pictures uploaded, addict!

This tutorial was very clear and easy to follow. I'm sure this will help answer many frequently asked questions around here!

Nice job! Can't wait to see the other 2.
  • AsylvanAsylvan Posts: 54 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Great tutorial!!...The only thing I'm curious about is something that happened while I was working on a starter trying to learn to cut my costs...I found that when I used the "Pool" wall paper on the foundation it actually started returning money to me...So that might be another option to cut costs...The pool wallpaper isn't in the folders to begin with but if you build a pool and copy the paper with an eyedropper or edit it, you can add it to the library and of course take it into CAS to make it look a bit better lol...It's only $3 per tile as upposed to the regular $4 for the cheapest...Also if you do use full foundation rather than stilts, if you drop the basement level in (wether you're using it or not, it keeps you from having to throw extra blocks of foundation in to get all the floor tiles in place(not a big help on smaller lots where the foundation isn't going to be so far spread as to need central foundation but helpful on bigger lots...
  • MoondaisyMoondaisy Posts: 43 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Great tutorial, addict! Rec'd it and hope that the next two will come out soon!
  • GuitarzGuitarz Posts: 171 Member
    edited July 2009
    awesome tut! great pointers for saving money.
  • michelle5182michelle5182 Posts: 49 Member
    edited July 2009
    Great tutorial Addict! I had no idea about that mailbox trick. I will have to take that into consideration next build! Thanks! Rec from me.
  • peacemaker_icpeacemaker_ic Posts: 1,878 Member
    edited July 2009
    yep thats a great tutorial addict. it looks like you found you niche as well. looking forward to the next 2. a rec from me as it is well deserved.
  • KhariiKharii Posts: 66 Member
    edited July 2009
    Great tutorial Addict! Rec'd. :) It'll be fun seeing your other two as well.
    edited July 2009
    Thanks to all of you!
    I'm going to get started on the next two as soon as I finish my Summer of Love work and write the challenge for next week.

I am so glad people have learned some new things. I thought the mailbox trick might not be known by a lot of people. I remember reading it in a thread a few weeks into the start-up here, and I think it has been long-since buried.

I appreciate your positive comments. I spent a little more time on this than I'd like to admit, so I'm glad people are finding it worthwhile. :-)

Sincerely,
    Addict
  • anniepksanniepks Posts: 561 Member
    edited July 2009
    Addict, your tutorial was awesome. Not everyone is as step by step or as good at giving the reasons for why they are doing what they are doing as you are. One of the best tutorials I've seen. Most tricks I knew, however tere were about 3 things I picked up. Rec'd and appricated.

Annie
    edited July 2009
    Hi, Annie.
    I was a little worried I went into too much detail, so I'm glad to know that it really is helpful. :) And it's wonderful to know you learned a few new things as well. I hope the next two will reveal a few other aspects as well!

Thanks so much for your kind words and the rec.
    Addict