Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Unable to Verify Disk problem on Mac OS X Lion

I am using a MacBook Pro running Mac OS X Lion (10.7.2)

When I play the Sims 3, and get to the main menu, where I choose my family, it gives me an error message:

We are unable to verify that your disk is a valid copy of the sims 3 (pets, or any other). Please contact customer service.

PLEASE HELP. Remember, I am on a Mac laptop!
Thank you so much.

Comments

• ihar_tdanceihar_tdance Posts: 26
    edited December 2011
    I'm having the same problem too :(

I eventually got it to work after about an hour yesterday, but it's doing the same again today.

The customer services number is an 08 number which I believe charges you money to call, so I won't ring
  • chelinkachelinka Posts: 10
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting exactly the same problem and I've been trying to get on sims all day, and I've tried everything, but nothings working... its happened before... EA needs to sort this out.
  • DreamJob4DreamJob4 Posts: 95 New Member
    edited December 2011
    You have to repair permissions on your Mac. It's not really EA's bad on this one. It's your computer. If you got the patch downloaded successfully, and now the game says your disc is not verified, here's what you need to do.

Go to:

Applications > Utilities > Disc Utility > Click your Hard drive > Click repair permissions.

It'll say that it will take 2 hours, but it really only takes about ten minutes. Once your permissions are repaired, start your game back up again and it should be working perfectly :)
  • xchristaleexchristalee Posts: 289 New Member
    edited December 2011
    yeah, mine started doing this too. only started after i updated my game. and this is the only time it's not worked. i'm doing the repair now, so i guess i'll see.
  • danceforeverdanceforever Posts: 134 New Member
    edited December 2011
    DreamJob4 - I clicked on my hard drive but there was no repair permission needed??
  • KarinLKarinL Posts: 3,989 Member
    edited December 2011
    I had this problem when the game was first out. I have this problem sometimes after a patch and then it will go away after another patch. Absolutely without me doing anything to my computer in the meantime.
    I don't have the problem currently, I've never had to repair permissions. I had the problem with all the patches up to 1.8 or 1.9, and then it came back around patch 1.22 or so... Now it's gone again.

So it's not always your computer's fault.
  • NarkissosNarkissos Posts: 24 New Member
    edited December 2011
    DreamJob4 wrote:
    You have to repair permissions on your Mac. It's not really EA's bad on this one. It's your computer. If you got the patch downloaded successfully, and now the game says your disc is not verified, here's what you need to do.

Go to:

Applications > Utilities > Disc Utility > Click your Hard drive > Click repair permissions.

It'll say that it will take 2 hours, but it really only takes about ten minutes. Once your permissions are repaired, start your game back up again and it should be working perfectly :)
    Thanks for this! I had the same problem and didn't know how to fix it so I was just using a 'No Disc' mod instead lol
    edited December 2011
    KarinL wrote:
    I had this problem when the game was first out. I have this problem sometimes after a patch and then it will go away after another patch. Absolutely without me doing anything to my computer in the meantime.
    I don't have the problem currently, I've never had to repair permissions. I had the problem with all the patches up to 1.8 or 1.9, and then it came back around patch 1.22 or so... Now it's gone again.

So it's not always your computer's fault.
    No it's not always the computer's fault. But this time, at least for me and most others, it is.

I've never had to do it before either, usually another patch would just fix the problem. But repairing permissions fixed all my problems this time.
    edited December 2011
    DreamJob4 - I clicked on my hard drive but there was no repair permission needed??

Did you click the one that literally said "Hard drive?" Like this?

ScreenShot2011-12-27at112029AM.png

Click that one and the button for "Repair Permissions" should be working.
  • KrissyaKrissya Posts: 1
    edited December 2011
    I tried repairing the permissions and I still get the validation error message. Any ideas?
  • mzriskalotmzriskalot Posts: 35
    edited December 2011
    I tried repairing the permissions and still keep getting the same error. I am so fed up with all these problems :( I love playing Sims, but haven't been able to play them since i upgraded to Lion when it very first came out.

I guess i'll have to try uninstalling the lot again and reinstalling... takes hours lol.

I am starting to lose all hope now. Any other idea's?

:(
    edited December 2011
    That is so weird. It fixed the problem for me :( I don't know what else to tell you besides what worked for me. Hopefully there is someone else who has solved this issue, but differently :(
    edited December 2011
    Same. Its such a shame. The only way i can play sims is if I used my Dads Dell windows 7 laptop (Spits lol) I am such a Mac head its unreal. Looks like i'll have to play it on there again :( I haven't bothered buying anything else since Town life.

I will do the uninstall one last time when i get home and then give up ha ha.
  • SummerSong86SummerSong86 Posts: 2,090 Member
    edited December 2011
    I feel weird posting this in 3 different threads but it's the same problem over and over so here goes: SOMEtimes, not all the time, but sometimes, all you need to do is eject the disk, blow some dust or debris off of it, reinsert, and try again. A lot of the time that's all it takes, when the problem is not due to something else like permissions needing to be repaired or the game needing reinstallation.
  • ihar_tdanceihar_tdance Posts: 26
    edited December 2011
    DreamJob4 wrote:

Go to:

Just trying this now, I really hope it works :S
    edited December 2011
    So far (Fingers and legs crossed) I think i found a solution to my disk verify problem.
    I did the permissions thing, and nothing changed so i have uninstalled all of my Sims and started from scratch. I own all of the Sims up to Town life so its a lot of disks haha.

For each disk I installed, (starting from the main Sims 3 disk) i opened the game up after I installed EACH DISK (And any updates that came when i opened the game) to check the game was running fine and I could play the game ok, closed the game and then moved on the the next disk and repeated the process, so, so far so good. I have 3 disks to go now.

When installing the 1st disk, there was a few extra updates I had to go through, including double checking the update tab on the launcher.

SO far its worked for me. I am on Lion and have untold issues with Sims since I upgraded my Macbook on the day Lion came out. I hope this might help others xxxx
    edited December 2011
    DreamJob4 wrote:

Go to:

Just trying this now, I really hope it works :S

It's not working for some people, but it worked for me and a few others, so hopefully it solves your problem :)
  • KarinLKarinL Posts: 3,989 Member
    edited December 2011
    Sometimes it helped for me to just turn off the computer for half an hour or so and then try again... I don't know why that is, but it's one of the many things I tried...
    Like I said in the other thread, I've done everything up to and including circling my computer counter-clockwise and mumbling incantations at it... And even that sometimes seemed to do the trick. :lol:
  • drowssapdrowssap Posts: 2,007 Member
    edited December 2011
    iv had the exact same problem, and repairing disk permissions has not helped at all.
    only thing iv found thats fixed it is to use a no cd mod, which has drawbacks :evil:
  • angelsbby470angelsbby470 Posts: 3
    edited December 2011
    Hey, I am trying the Repair Permissions, but the thing that worked for me before was this:

Disk Utility > Sims 3 > Verify Disk

I had to do it every time I opened Sims 3, but it worked. Also, once you get it open..just minimize DO NOT exit!

So try this if the permissions aren't working. I am doing that right now.
  • sarahjmsarahjm Posts: 20 New Member
    edited December 2011
    I feel weird posting this in 3 different threads but it's the same problem over and over so here goes: SOMEtimes, not all the time, but sometimes, all you need to do is eject the disk, blow some dust or debris off of it, reinsert, and try again. A lot of the time that's all it takes, when the problem is not due to something else like permissions needing to be repaired or the game needing reinstallation.

That's what worked for me!
  • pie34pie34 Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    DreamJob4 wrote:

Did you click the one that literally said "Hard drive?" Like this?

ScreenShot2011-12-27at112029AM.png

Click that one and the button for "Repair Permissions" should be working.

Thank you so much this helped! :D
  • Indigo_OblivionIndigo_Oblivion Posts: 100 New Member
    edited January 2012
    I got this game for Christmas and a few days afterwards I started getting this message, but I just ignored it and when I started up the game again a second time it worked fine and the message didn't pop up. It was annoying, but every time I wanted to play I'd had to upload it twice. D:

However, today when I reloaded the game the second time, my saved game was gone, along with all the custom content I installed (official stuff, mods and other custom content are too complicated for me, haha)
    I've still got the billing history for all that, so it's just a matter of reinstalling it. :/

Anyway, what I'm saying is that I'm going to try the disk repair thing that was mentioned up there, but is there anyway for me to get my saved game back, or do I have to make another family? :(

EDIT: I'm not on Lion, just Leopard. Also, there was a patch released today for the sims store that I updated, could my lost game be because of that? D:
  • lisavklisavk Posts: 29 New Member
    edited January 2012

This only SOMETIMES works for me. It used to, but now no matter what it still does that. I'm trying the repair now.
  • vannygamervannygamer Posts: 1
    edited February 2012
    I did this to fix the problem:

It worked. :)