The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Rebuilding Viper Valley and The Apocalypse Challenge

Comments

• bunbunnynybunbunnyny Posts: 3,678 Member
    edited November 2011
    Alright, I've got some ideas, but first, may you please answer a couple of questions?

-Would it be possible to add a new Restriction Category/Challenge?

-Do you want to look for approval first, and then I go on to change the Wiki? (Again, I'm COMPLETELY fine if you say no!)
  • reni401reni401 Posts: 1,388 Member
    edited November 2011
    Question regarding vacation items. I know we can use shower-in-a-can, but is that limited to what you bring back from vacation? Or, are we allowed to use the buydebug cheat and purchase them from there?

Thanks!
    Reni
  • mikitta47mikitta47 Posts: 2,250 New Member
    edited November 2011
    Reni- you may buy the showers from the buydebug menu only AFTER you are able to travel. You MAY bring them home with you, however, from your travels.

Bunny -
    -Would it be possible to add a new Restriction Category/Challenge?

I'm hesitant to add a new challenge category. There are 26 so far, with an extra one specifically for Generations (day care) because there were so many interactions that were specific to that expansion. So far, I've not seen any interactions with Pets that can't be incorporated into the existing challenges. What would the new challenge category be? What would it restrict? How would it be lifted?
    -Do you want to look for approval first, and then I go on to change the Wiki? (Again, I'm COMPLETELY fine if you say no!)

Tell me what it is you are thinking about doing first LOL!

God Bless,
    mik
    edited December 2011
    How is everyone doing? I haven't gotten the last two stuff packs yet. Maybe I'll get 'em for Christmas. Anyway - I also haven't been playing Sims or working on CAW since Skyrim came out Nov. 11th. I've not given up on it by any means, just taking a break. I'll be back at it after Christmas to finish Rattlesnake Ridge and get the rules all updated completely.

Bunny - you never let me know what the changes you wanted to make were. I would like to hear the idea - not saying no unequivocally, because if it's a good idea and it makes sense to add another category, then we can do that. I just want to know what the idea is :)

God Bless,
    mik
    edited December 2011
    Got some things fixed with my game so I could play it (I was having crash issues) and I was playing w/ Pets tonight. I'm thinking of adding in an alternate method of clearing Naturalist. Please tell me what you all think of this.

If you own Pets, you may follow this alternate path to clearing The Amazing Naturalist.

You still need to have the Perfect Private Aquarium and the Perfect Garden, but now you also need to be a Zoologist and collect the smaller pets, as well as collecting insects and minerals.

However, you are not required to obtain self employment in fishing or gardening, though you may do so if you choose.

You still need level 10 in fishing and gardening before you are allowed to do either.

You must also have a horse, a dog and a cat as pets.

Your sim's family members ARE allowed to feed the pets and help take care of them - it becomes a huge job to feed and care for the animals after a while.

You may train the dog and the cat to hunt for you to help you with the collection of pets and minerals.

Your sim may start on their collecting early in life if you have determined this is what they are going to be when they grow up.

The dog,cat and horse need to be befriended from strays or else descended from strays or wild stock that were befriended by the family in past generations.

Fish will need to be placed into an aquarium immediately if you choose to keep them. So you will need to strategize how best to manage your collection to accomplish your goals.

You will need to collect 20 minerals, including specific specimens. Gems must be cut and metals must be smelted. There are 20 gems + metals in the base game.

Metals --> Smelted Plutonium
    Gemstones --> Heart Cut Pink Diamond

You will need to collect 20 Space Rocks, including the specified specimens. There are 34 total space rocks to collect.

Rocks --> Unusual Dukedite, Unusual Llamatite,Unusual Mazzadrayte and Unusual Sporecite

You will need to collect 20 insects, including the specified specimens. There are exactly 20 insects in the base game.

Beetles --> Trilobite Beetle and Rainbow Beetle
    Butterflies --> Zebra Butterfly and Rainbow Butterfly

You will need to collect 20 small pets, including the specified specimens. There are ample small animals to collect to make up the 8 "other" slots for this collection. You MAY NOT "stock" your terrariums and bird cages - these animals must be found and befriended by you or hunted by your cat and brought back to you.

Lizards --> Chameleon and Ancient Dragon
    Turtles --> Pygmy Tortoise and Spiny Turtle
    Snakes --> Scarlet King Snake and Iridescent Shieldtail Snake
    Rodents --> Pygmy Hedgehog and Chinchilla
    Birds --> Falcon, Spotted Sixam, Bluebird and Lilac Breasted Roller

You will need to collect 20 perfect fish and 8 perfect plants(growing at one time), including the specified specimens. There are 14 non quest plants and 21 fish in the base game.

Fish --> Tragic Clownfish, Vampire Fish, Robot Fish and Death Fish.
    Plants --> Death Plant, Life Plant, Flame Fruit Plant, and Money Tree.

The collected animals, plants, insects, birds and fish must be in their appropriate containers kept on the lot.

You may not hold animals in your inventory for very long (they escape if you hold them longer than 1 day) so as soon as you get them home, they must go in their respective containers.

You MAY get the larger aquarium for your fish collection if you choose. You will need ample room for all these things.

The insects, metals and gems can be placed into display cases or placed on a table.

You may sell any insects, fish, animals, minerals and plants that you are not keeping in collection (role play info - you are selling them to the science facility for their research).

Once you have completed your entire collection and you have 8 perfect plants growing at one time in your garden (the perfect garden must be growing as you complete your collection) you have lifted the restriction. They will call you Mr. or Ms. Charles Darsim.

God Bless,
    mik
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited December 2011
    Who ever turned the wikia rules orange ... you deserve to have your house egged with rotten eggs.

Grrr.

Until I get things fixed and backed up - there will be no editing by wikia users of the main page (the rules). It's really not so badly broken, just an annoyance. As soon as I have the site backed up so I can restore it in case something like this happens again, the liberal protections will be restored.

God Bless,
    mik
  • StarGirl09StarGirl09 Posts: 52
    edited December 2011
    I have a question what are we supposed to do if are Sims get singed and havent cleared Medical? My founder just got singed and I am three levels away from clearing both Military and Hopelessness I really dont want to have to start a new career track just because I was working on my handiness skill and my Sim cant apparently upgrade something right.
    edited December 2011
    The only issue I have run into with being singed and not being able to upgrade something afterward is the higher end things - like TV's, stoves, dishwashers and compactors. You can skill up on tubs, toilets and sinks all day without issues though.

If you haven't cleared medical, your sim has to stay singed until they age up, at which time they will lose the singed moodlet and return to normal. It's not pretty to look at them in their underwear with bad hair, but there ya have it. Unless your sim has the inappropriate trait and can bathe in the sink, you are stuck with it.

Ok, I think I am honing in on the new Naturalist rules for Pets. I've been play testing a family that, in the scenario, has cleared Culinary, Politics, Military, Business, Science, Symphonic and Master Thief as absolute prerequisites with Pets AND Ambitions. I also threw in Dynamic DNA Profiler and Comforting Children as very highly desirable to have before starting this category.

I've made a few changes to the above proposed rule set- most notably, the fact that you can train you cat or dog to hunt. You still can't teach them tricks till both Film careers and Naturalist are cleared, though. They won't learn hunting on their own - you have to make it so they can.

Also, cats need a cat toy to learn hunting and dogs need something other than your furniture to chew on, so you are allowed to buy the toy crate, take one dog toy and one cat toy out and sell the crate back immediately. You keep the toys and don't have to sell them as per Criminal Mastermind rules. You are also allowed one simple scratch post for the cat.

Now, I've been cogitating on what pets is going to add to this category and how to harmonize it with the Base Game and Ambitions. I've decided to put in the base game rules at the very top of the section, followed by Ambitions if you do NOT own pets next, and then the Pets rules afterward.

REQUIREMENTS
    Base game -- Music-Symphonic, Military, and Science
    Base + Ambitions -- Business and Master Thief
    Base + Pets -- Politics and Culinary

World Adventures, Night Life and Generations only add a few new minerals, fish and plants to chose from, but nothing that requires expanding the rules specifically for those expansions.

1. With JUST the base game

- 20 perfect plants
    - 20 perfect fish
    - 2 rare or unique beetles -- Trilobite Beetle and Rainbow Beetle
    - 2 rare or unique butterflies -- Zebra Butterfly and Rainbow Butterfly
    - 10 unique gems, heart cut including a pink diamond
    - 10 unique metals, smelted including plutonium
    - 20 unique space rocks, including Dukedite, Llamatite, Mazzadrayte and Sporecite

- Fish may be kept in inventory if you have cleared Athletics or in a chest if you have purchased one while on adventures in France, Egypt or China.

2. With Base + Ambitions

- All the above plus you must become self employed in fishing or gardening and reach level 10 of that career

3. With Base + Pets

- You do NOT need to reach level 10 in fishing or gardening employments if you also own Ambitions. You do not need to be employed at all if you don't wish it.

- You only need 8 perfect plants, and don't need to grow any others if you do not wish. However, you MUST have one of each of the following perfect plants - Death Plant, Life Plant, Flame Fruit Plant, and Money Tree

- Fish HAVE to be put in an aquarium immediately upon returning home from a fishing trip. You HAVE to keep them alive through the challenge (yes, you have to keep restocking as they don't have very long lives). You MUST have one of each of the following perfect fish - Tragic Clownfish, Vampire Fish, Robot Fish and Death Fish.

- Collect the following small animals, or have your cat do it for you...

- Birds -- Falcon, Spotted Sixam, Bluebird and Lilac Breasted Roller
    - Lizards -- Chameleon and Ancient Dragon
    - Turtles -- Pygmy Tortoise and Spiny Turtle
    - Snakes -- Scarlet King Snake and Iridescent Shieldtail Snake
    - Rodents -- Pygmy Hedgehog and Chinchilla
    - Plus -- ANY 4 other small animals

All collectables (gems, metals, rocks, small animals, bugs) must be the MOST expensive you can find by the time your fish and plants are ready. In other words, if your dog brings you dukedite consistently, sell the one that will give you less money and keep the higher value one. The minerals, small animals and insects all have a value range on them for how much you can sell them for.

You ARE allowed to sell produce, fish, minerals, animals and insects even if you do not have Business or Master Thief cleared. You are supplying the science facility with specimens (roll play reasoning behind being able to sell.)

Once you have accomplished this feat of biological and mineralogical cataloging and experimentation, sims around the region hail you as the next Charles Darsim. Your name is mentioned in text books and your picture is plastered all over the internet. You are truly The Amazing Naturalist!

Assuming my Naturalist sim can do all this AND find a spouse AND beget an heir before he dies - this is the rule set that is going in. I'll grant you I created him with some advantageous attributes (angler, loves the outdoors and loves animals) as a child, but unless he barely squeeks by, I can't see how these are giving him the only edge needed to finish this category. He is a young adult now (it took his whole childhood and teen period for his dad to get handiness up high enough to tinker the TV so he could watch the fishing channel). I finally got a dog and a cat, was hoping to get them early on, as a child - but they were in short supply in Rattlesnake Ridge with only 8 additional families.

OH - you WILL be able to adopt - from friends, from the paper or computer if you have the requisite categories cleared (Journalism and Master Thief) or from the telephone (Science). So getting a pet isn't going to be that dificult. There will be a complete set of SPECIFIC Pets rules up on the wiki soon, detailing how to get pets, what they can do, and what you can do with them. Categories will also be updated to include pets.

Have to say, I LOVE this expansion. Generations, so far, has been more annoying to me for the challenge than anything else - considering that if a sim dies, or if a sim graduates, or if a sim gets married family members are FORCED to take time off work. I STILL haven't figured out how to deal with this, since there is no option what so ever to circumvent it short of using hacks and mods. On the one hand, we treat Pregnancy as a career stopper before Master Thief is cleared. BUT, that was ONE thing, and it was carried over from the Sims 2 Apocalypse Challenge.

I think, with marriage, graduation and family death - these will NOT cause your sim to lose their job .... AS LONG AS you are best friends with your boss.

Your boss can't do much for pregnancy, because it's a LOT of time off work - a whole week at least to have the baby and you might not be able to come in because you can't find a sitter ... just stay home w/ your kid. BUT if you have a Best Friend relationship with your boss, they will grant you a couple days for grieving, family member getting married or for your kid graduating from high school.

There we go - another level of complexity added, thank you Generations :P

Ok, I've waxed eloquent enough. If anyone is still reading this - please give me feed back on these changes. Let me know what you think - can you add to any of this?

Bunny, if you are still reading, I would like to know what you were thinking of earlier. PM me :D

God Bless,
    mik
  • thecubthecub Posts: 9 New Member
    edited December 2011
    First of all, thank you for all of your hard work putting together the rules and maintaining the wiki. I really appreciate it because I've been having a lot of fun with this challenge so far. I'm about to lift my eighth restriction, and now that I'm into week 21 this is my longest game ever.

I won't be ready for Amazing Naturalist anytime soon. I have at least 5 or 6 other restrictions I want to clear before that one. The rules seem a bit overwhelming to me, but maybe that's because I have almost no experience with pets yet. I've had plenty of experience gardening and fishing so that's no problem, but I never keep the fish in aquariums because feeding them and cleaning them is too much of a hassle. Taking care of all of the fish and all of the small animals seems like it might be a bit too much even with help from other family members. I hope there will be alternate rules that don't involve collecting all of the small pets.

I have to agree with you about Generations — too many days off is extremely annoying! I had one sim about to reach level 10 on Friday but he got an unexpected day off, so now I have to wait all weekend until he can lift his restriction. Even if a sim has off from work on graduation day, they seem to get the following day off. My astronaut has missed 3 out of 5 Mondays since he reached level 10. I think being best friends with the boss is a good idea but I can see two potential problems:

1. Right before your day off, your boss ages up to elder and retires. Maybe you could still count this as long as you were best friends right before he retired.

2. You marry a spouse who is already at a high level in their career so they can reach the top level quickly, but you don't know if they're friends with their boss until after you marry them. Maybe you could allow this as long as they become best friends with their boss before returning back to work.

By the way, I never had a singed sim return to normal after aging up. They do get their regular hair style back but they otherwise remain singed.

Thanks again for everything. Merry Christmas to you, and Happy Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Solstice, Festivus or whatever else you might be celebrating!

Rob
    edited December 2011
    Just a quick suggestion. I know the way the rules are set out we can't do a whole lot with the dogs and cats until we start tackling Amazing Naturalist. Horses a little more so. But can we make it so at a certain point the adoption restriction lifts, say after Culinary or something like that? Same with breeding them maybe after Medical or another set of restrictions are lifted?

A quick question while I think of it is it okay to due to Alternate to Architect even if we have Ambitions? My game can be really fussy with the Architect career thats why I ask.
    edited December 2011
    StarGirl09 wrote:
    A quick question while I think of it is it okay to due to Alternate to Architect even if we have Ambitions? My game can be really fussy with the Architect career thats why I ask.

I already asked about that and was told it was OK to do the alternate rules. I've never done the Architect career before and I really don't want to start now. This challenge is difficult enough without going into completely unfamiliar territory.
    thecub wrote:
    I don't have Late Night so I know I must follow the alternate rules for Actor and Director. Even though I have Ambitions, am I required to top the Architect and Stylist careers, or can I choose to follow the alternate rules for those instead?
    mikitta47 wrote:
    You aren't tied into having to do the careers as per the Ambitions expansion if you don't want to. You can use the alternate methods if you would rather.
    edited December 2011
    here are the only restrictions on adopting pets.

1. Horses require you to clear political because their stalls do NOT fit in an 8x8 area.

2. If you do not have Journalism cleared, you may not use the paper or the computer to adopt a pet.

3. If you do not have science cleared, you may not use the phone or the computer to adopt a pet.

4. You MAY befriend strays and invite them to live in your home.

5. You MAY adopt a pet from a friend who calls to tell you they have pets up for adoption.

Things to keep in mind -

- if Culinary has not been cleared, when you feed a pet, that is your family's one meal of the day.

- if Medical has not been cleared, you may not bathe your pets and you may not purchase the litter box

I know I have a bunch of things to set right with the rules to incorporate all the new stuff. I've been playing a lot over the last week, and really figuring out how pets fit in.

I said I was zeroing in on the new Naturalist rules ... Here's the latest ->
    - Perfect Garden - 8 plants (including deathflower, life plant and money tree)
    - Perfect Aquarium - 13 fish (including robot fish and death fish)
    - The Perfect Arc Builder
    - 2 birds (any two of these - Blue bird, Lilac Breasted Roller, Falcon or Spotted Sixam)
    - 2 lizards (Chameleon and Ancient Dragon)
    - 2 snakes (Scarlet King Snake and Iridescent Shieldtail Snake)
    - 2 rodents (Pygmy Hedgehog and Chinchilla)
    - 2 turtles (Pygmy Tortoise and Spiney Turtle)
    - 2 beetles (Trilobite, Rainbow Beetle or Assasin Bug)
    - 2 butterflies (Zeebra Butterfly, Rainbow Butterfly, Yellow Band Dart Butterfly, Cleopatra Butterfly or Glow Fly)
    - 2 Horses
    - 2 Cats
    - 2 Dogs
    - A Hearty Gem Collection (5 of a kind, all heart cut - Pink Diamond, Luminous gems, or Soulpeace gems)
    - A Stacked Metal Collection (any five of the following smelted metals in a complete stack (ie a stack of each of five types) - Iron, Silver, Gold, Palladium, Plutonium, Woohooium, Mercury, Platinum, Copper, Mummitomium, Irridium, Compendium, Carbon Steel or Titanium)
    - An Unusual Meteor Collection ( one each of the following Sporocite, Mazzadrayte, Llamatite, Holmberic, Dukedite Bellacite and Custerous Gossticite)

The rules for base game and base + ambitions will stand. These rules are for if you have Pets. It's a bit simpler with fewer plants to grow and fish to catch, but it more than makes up for that in having to take care of the animals.

Update on my thinking about Generations and forced time off.

- In order to avoid being permanently laid off in the event of marriage, death in the family or graduation, you must have a Friend relationship with your boss and at LEAST 3 others at work.

- If you have reached level 10 in your career and you have at least a friend relationship with your boss, you won't lose your job for these days off.

Does that seem too wimpy? I'm trying to incorporate this so there's the possibility of loosing your job if you don't take the proper steps NOT to.

God Bless,
    mik
    edited December 2011
    Just a note there always isn't three coworkers. I am midst Political (had to restart my challenge and ended up with that instead) and I only have a single coworker plus my boss both of whom I'm on good terms with.

Thanks for the clarification on adopting pets.
    edited December 2011
    Ok ... best friends with the boss and friends with 1 co-worker.

Means a lot of brown nosing :P

God Bless,
    mik
    edited December 2011
    Works fine for me. I usually have my main character befriending his/her coworkers/bosses anyway after I've reached the point where I cant select Work Hard anymore. Cleared Political and Hopelessness and now have two boys. Waiting to see what jobs they land when they graduate before I pick the official heir.
    edited December 2011
    Alright - I think I have the Generations amendment figured out in some way to make it most equitable, along with the age settings you HAVE to play with for the challenge (they changed something that requires a small change for us).

Aging - must be 90 days, set as following

Infant - 2 days (won't allow you to go less than that now)
    Toddler - 4 days
    Child - 6 days
    Teen - 14 days
    Young Adult - 25 days
    Adult - 25 days
    Elder - 14 days

Generations related time off

1. If you have not yet reached the top of your career and one of the following events transpires - wedding, graduation or funeral (we may add to this list if they add more events like this) - the sims in your household do NOT have to quit their jobs so long as they have a friends or higher relationship with their boss and at LEAST one other sim at work. If you are at the top of your career, you can disregard this. You have earned your couple days off when someone dies, gets married or graduates. Pregnancy still requires you to quit your job and raise your kids though :P

2. If your sims do NOT have a friends or higher relationship with the boss and at least one other co-worker, or they have gotten a new boss or new co-workers or both due to game mechanics and have not had time to make those relationships yet, they MUST take the time off to improve their relationship with boss and co-workers enough so they know one more trait of the applicable sims than they did prior to the event in question.

3. Pregnancy rules remain the same as before. If you get pregnant prior to Master Thief being cleared, you still have to quit your job no matter how good your relationship with your boss is.

Any input yay or nay? Anything else I need to consider? If not, I'll have these posted in the rules by this weekend :)

Play testing ...

Ok, so I've got my family - mom is clearing athletics (almost done), dad is clearing medical (half way through), and son is attempting Naturalist with the above revised rule set. All the current pre-requisites have been cleared within the testing scenario - Hopelessness, Science, Military, Master Thief, Culinary, Politics, both Law Enforcement careers and Business.

Here is what I am finding ...

-fishing takes a long time to get through if you aren't lucky enough to have an angler LOL! I wasn't able to have my naturalist sim watch the fishing channel till he was a teen because Dad didn't have handiness high enough to upgrade the TV to boost channels till then.

- The two dogs are a huge help in digging up stuff. I've got half of the required meteorites, over half of the soulpeace (actually 3 soulpeace and 2 pink diamonds, and I have been practicing cutting on the luminous gems or I think I would have all 5 of my hearty gem collection ready to be heart cut by now) and about 1/3 of the metals collected so far. A STACK of metal is 15 ingots - so you want 15 ingots each of what ever 5 metals you decide to collect.

- I waited a while to get cats but within the first few days of them hunting, I've got both snakes, one turtle, and all the beetles and butterflies. Birds, I think, are a bit higher up on the hidden collecting skill. I'm hoping that I won't have to figure out how to befriend a falcon LOL!

- My naturalist sim is something short of halfway through young adulthood now. He is at level 9 of gardening, level 7 of fishing. I haven't started him collecting seeds yet, but he's got a ready source reasonably close by. The bottleneck in this part of the quest is getting that money tree to grow from unknown special seeds.

- Cats WILL be allowed to help you catch the fish needed for this restriction. You have to spend so much time taking care of all the pets that you simply would not have time to go to the fishing hole yourself. However, you will have to do the fishing for the Robot fish yourself, I am pretty sure. I think you will also have to fish for the vampire fish and the death fish yourself as well. We'll have to see. Has anyone had a cat catch one of those three special fish yet?

This is very workable. I'm debating on adding back in having to be self employed if you own ambitions - gardening is pretty easy to max out if you have lots of family to help you with the watering, but then taking care of all the animals is a huge chore too. I'll see how it plays when I actually start gardening. If I can max out the career BEFORE day 7 of being an elder, I'll seriously consider it.

God Bless,
    mik
    edited December 2011
    mikitta47 wrote:
    I'm trying to incorporate this so there's the possibility of loosing your job if you don't take the proper steps NOT to.
    I think you succeeded. The new time off rules seem fair enough to me. An incoming spouse should be likely to keep their job without an unreasonable amount of effort. I'm happy with that. :) (These rules don't matter if Master Thief is lifted, do they?)

I'm actually closer to Amazing Naturalist than I realized. I just lifted Law/Super Spy and should be done with Science in another week, so I'll have all of the prerequisites except Law/DNA and Politics. My generation 4 heir (currently a teen) has already met potential spouses in both of those careers.

One more question: are there any restrictions on using the birthday cake if Culinary is lifted?

Thanks,
    Rob
    edited December 2011
    Birthday Cake - it is restricted only by Culinary. Birthday Parties, however, are restricted by Film-Actor. So once you have lifted Culinary, you can use Birthday Cake on the day you get the notice that it is your sim's birthday (ie that morning). You don't have to wait till 8pm for them to age up. Once both Culinary and Actor are cleared, you can have a birthday party with birthday cake :)

Time off - Once Master Thief is lifted, you don't have to worry about being friends w/ your boss or taking time off any longer as that is the restricting category.

I really should start a new challenge that isn't testing anything, just playing. It's been AGES since I've done anything but test. Hmm, maybe I'll do that tonight :D

God Bless,
    mik
    edited December 2011
    Going to get the updated Master Thief rules put in today. I appreciate all the input for this :D

God Bless,
    mik
    edited January 2012
    Sims 3 Showtime is due out in March. Please watch dev blogs and community spoilers before hand so we can start planning on how the next EP is going to affect the challenge. JUST based one what little I saw - it's going to expand things for Film and Music careers and many of the actions are going to be restricted by those categories.

I must say I'm looking forward to the expansion because it's bringing back the DJ, the torch juggling, microphones, kareoke and magicians. It is also going to add in some alternative objects for skilling - explicitly, a pull up bar, which will be allowed, I think, right off the bat unrestricted. We'll have to see. Anyway - it looks to be a good expansion and with the community things they are putting in - such as a "facebook" like page as well as chat - this could be really interesting for US. I will have to pull together the scoring and ranking system for TS3AC that has been bouncing around in my head.

I don't suppose any of you know how to make a small downloadable program that would allow someone to keep score? I mean, it's not necessary, but I do wish I had the skills to do it. Something that if you marked that your founder had cleared science AND alien technology, that those options would not be available for any other generations. Ah - I'm getting beyond myself. I think a simple form that can be drawn up in Open Office that can be DL'd and printed out would be easiest. I'm just thinking out loud, so don't mind me :P

News on Rattlesnake Ridge. I worked on it for several hours this evening, doing some painting, adding back in lots (I had deleted all lots and was re-doing them to get rid of lot tears). Seriously, I just have to do this and have two tombs finished and it's as done as it's going to be. I'm thinking I'll release a pre-pets version on Mediafire only, that has no tombs. After the two tombs I'm waiting on are finished, I'll release a version with all the pets small animal spawners in the neighborhood to the Exchange that has all the tombs and which will be pre-populated. I fixed the issues I found with decorations looking wonky - floating swamp grass, floating rocks, things like that, and I changed some of the textures a bit. Except for the two tombs and putting back in the lots, it's done. Just plain, done. YAY. The NEXT world I'm making will have NO tombs at all. I've been working on it when I get tired of looking at sand. I hope it's a wow factor, because I've been improving my terrain painting. It WON'T be a challenge world as it is very green :P

Anyway - The final version of RR is something to look forward to if you wanted a new neighborhood to play in.

I'll work on the Wikia this week and finish updating it for Generations and Pets. Does anyone have a COMPLETE list of Opportunities that can pop up? Everything from the base game through to the current expansion? I've seen a few lists, but none of them are complete. I would like to have a list "What Opportunities Can I Take" as a linked page. There was someone who was doing a compiled list of every topic and action one could choose when clicking on another sim - but I think life has been very busy for her, lately. I would love that list, updated to current EP, as well.

Could someone who is into buying store stuff and perhaps has some of the game changing things - let me know the specifics of things like the baby swing and the cow plant? I would LIKE to buy the cow plant ... but IIRC, it was restricted till sims could garden in Sims 2, so ... yeah. Anyway - there are several things that add new game play in the store. Of course, the Spell alter and the Fountain of Youth are just not allowed at all, but those are not all there is and people might get curious as to weather they can even use them.

Thanks for helping me out with this. I could not keep up with this challenge without all your guys help!

God Bless,
    mik
    edited January 2012
    Rattlesnake Ridge Lite - finished - is now uploaded to the exchange.
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=5012687

Hope you all like it :)

I should have the No Tombs version uploaded in a few days. The final full version will be a while yet, as I've two tombs that need finished.

God Bless,
    mik
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    edited January 2012
    anyone that knows and Playing
    I have not started but plan to do so.
    Before I start I need to know a few things.
    First thing. If I choose VV to play on, It is empty right?
    If it is empty are all the Commercial Lots there?
    if there are no buildings how do I get a job?

If I play say sunset Valley, do I delete all the commercial buildings.
    I want to get started right.
    Also can we have a refrigerator to start.

Can we start with a wife.

How many sims to start with in the town. Are all the lots say in SV make over as sand or dirt or ice. So lets say you say 10 sims in the town, In SV do I delete the rest of the sims.

Sorry for so many questions, but this challenge sounds really neat and I am anxious to get started.

I will reread these rules again. I must print them out as I will not be able to remember them. I guess you go by one restriction at a time until fulfilled.

edited January 2012
    anyone that knows and Playing
    I have not started but plan to do so.
    Before I start I need to know a few things.
    First thing. If I choose VV to play on, It is empty right?

Viper Valley is empty of all sims, however it has a few built residential lots in which to place sims at the beginning of the challenge.

All the rabbit holes up to World Adventures are included (I don't think any were added in Ambitions). You can put in an empty lot, or use one of the challenge lots you don't live on, to put in the Film Studio from Late Night. If you prefer to have some of the combined lots from Late Night and Pets, then you can edit community lots before you start to replace the buildings. They are in the build tab.
    If it is empty are all the Commercial Lots there?
    if there are no buildings how do I get a job?

Unless you are wanting to do a really hardcore version of the challenge - you can place all the community rabbit hole lots you wish. You can also place a fire department, for the sim who will eventually clear Firefighter and a salon for the sim who will eventually clear the Fashion career.
    If I play say sunset Valley, do I delete all the commercial buildings.
    I want to get started right.
    Also can we have a refrigerator to start.

No, you don't have to wipe out any lots in SV. However, the large lot you choose to start on must be spray painted in a sand texture. I think somewhere or other is an apocalypse version of SV that is redone in a dirt/sand/rock texture and has things a bit rearranged. You might try looking on the CAW forum, where Rflong keeps a thread listing many worlds that have been developed and posted on the exchange.

Refrigerator - yes :)
    Can we start with a wife.

No. You start with a single sim, who is your founder. They have to meet their spouse through game play. You may only marry in sims who the game generates or who you placed in the world before you started the challenge with your founder.
    How many sims to start with in the town. Are all the lots say in SV make over as sand or dirt or ice. So lets say you say 10 sims in the town, In SV do I delete the rest of the sims.

That really is up to you. I originally wrote in that you could add in 10 sim families, but I am thinking that 20 is more balanced, especially if the game isn't generating them like it should. DO have story progression enabled.
    Anyway, the more families you add, the more lots you need to place with houses for them.
    Sorry for so many questions, but this challenge sounds really neat and I am anxious to get started.

I will reread these rules again. I must print them out as I will not be able to remember them. I guess you go by one restriction at a time until fulfilled.

I don't mind questions at all, and the rules can be a bit intimidating at first because there are so many of them. Read them through a couple of times and then just do one restriction at a time. Each sim in the blood line can only lift one restriction - so it's very much a generational legacy. I hope you do enjoy playing it :) We love to see new faces around here and love to talk about this challenge!

God Bless,
    mik
    edited January 2012
    Evalen, to answer your questions from the Rattlesnake Ridge Released thread in CAW ...
    Once you start the challenge and you pick a lot.
    Do you have to live on that lot until the end? or can you move say in the 5th generation or so.

You live on the lot you move your founder into for the entire challenge. It must be a 64x64 sized lot, or the largest lot available in the world you play in.

do you have to live in the 8x8 house forever or can you at sometime expand.

Once you have cleared Politics, you may expand beyond the original 8x8 square footprint of the house and build as many floors high or basements low as you want.
    I am just about ready to start.

Oh yes can you start off with a wife.

You start with ONLY your founder. Your founder has to find his wife from amongst the residents of the neighborhood.
    When the heir grows up can they choose any job or must they throw the dice again.

I am now printing out my supply list.

If you have cleared Life of Crime/Master Thief restrictions, you may choose what ever job you wish. If you have NOT cleared those restrictions, you must use the newspaper and take the first job available in a career that has not yet been cleared.

I hope this answers your questions :)

God Bless,
    mik
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    edited January 2012
    Just one more please

What is the protection tax that everyone is talking about.
    I can't seem to find it anywhere.