Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

we need a patch for the crashing horses!!!

So after spending an hour and a half on the phone with technical service, I was convinced the problem with the game (crashing whenever I create or even go near a horse) was something within my own macbook pro and mac desktop- being that I tried both and got the same result. However, after promptly making an appointment with the genius bar at the apple store, I was told that both my mac desktop and my macbook pro are up to date and exceed the minimum requirements to play TS3 pets. I was then informed that the problem was within the game, a code EA had written specifically for the horses that conflicts with many computers (not just macs!). I was also informed that using lion would actually do more harm than good since it takes up space that TS3 uses, (the technician who I talked to from EA told me to try lion). I don't know what else I can do, I'm really disappointed in wasting this money. Looks like I have no choice but to get my refund until EA makes a patch to correct this. I'm not wasting my time anymore. :? :cry:

Comments

• LyricalSongstressLyricalSongstress Posts: 23 New Member
    edited December 2011
    This is a common problem that may users (including me) are experiencing. Tech support has told many people to upgrade the Mac to Lion (they told people to upgrade to a Snow Leopard when the game just came out, and users have still having the same difficulties as they did since the release), but it works for certain people, not for others.
    I'm debating whether or not to upgrade my Mac (I haven't done an upgrade since I bought my computer, so I may try Lion), but it isn't necessarily a solution.
    I just got the game, and I can't do anything to fix it. Best idea is to continue trying to contact Tech Support (although, they aren't much help at this point) like the rest of us, and hold they';; finally release a darn patch already.

Sorry about your game, I can sympathize. It's *extremely* annoying at this point, and I've just started the game!
  • lilrosebud211lilrosebud211 Posts: 47
    edited December 2011
    couldn't agree more, so frustrating! I just returned it a few hours ago, uninstalled and went back to the previous expansion- works like a charm now.I like being able to play this game, but what's the point in owning it if I can't even play? I find it outrageous that the problem still hasn't been corrected, *sigh* but what can you do. Please, let me know how lion works, I'm willing to try it if it helps at all. Good luck. :)
    edited December 2011
    If you don't mind my asking, what issues were you having with the game? I know that a lot of Simmers can't even *access* the game (which I can barely fathom!), but others, like me, have smaller issues. I mean, my issue is the fact that anytime any darned horse comes *near* me, the game crashes my whole computer. It's a minor problem compared to not being able to play *whatsoever*, but it's still a pain. I mean, COME ON, horses, and you can't even USE them!
    See, I figured it was only the Pets EP. I've only had minimal problems before, random once-in-a-blue-moon freezing, but this Pets stuff is ridiculous... I would return the game, but I'm still hopeful that EA remembers us 'beloved Mac users' and gives us word on *anything*. Two months with the same bugs, and they still can't get their act together...
    See, I'm really unsure of whether to install Lion or not. I've heard that Lion actually causes a lot of users more problems, but that Snow Leopard has fair chances of fixing them (I'm on my original Leopard system, after 5 years). I guess it's worth a shot, right?
    I'll let you know anything I can find out. :)
  • MystiriaMystiria Posts: 6
    edited December 2011
    Amen! I just got the pets expansion pack for Christmas. I finally installed it tonight to start playing and twice I've gone to create a horse only to have not just the game but my computer freeze up. I can still move my mouse, adjust my volume and screen lighting,but cannot minimize the game or do anything in the game. It's incredibly frustrating, horses were a huge reason I wanted this expansion pack. I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem, but I think it's ridiculous that there's no solution for it except "upgrade you computer's system".
    edited December 2011
    Yep, same problem all around the board.
    EA support is suggesting a system upgrade, but it isn't necessarily a fix. I mean, for certain people, it's blue skies and working games. But others still have problems with the game. I'd like something a little more evident of working before updating my system, just because EA can't take responsibility for their flub and quit making it seem like the problem is all in the computer- the Mac, to be precise.
    It's ridiculous. Still keeping my fingers crossed for a patch (especially because I can't install the latest yet, it's shutting down the game. :x I just don't have the patience at this time) that actually fixes *something*!
  • MystiriaMystiria Posts: 6
    edited December 2011
    Yea, I've noticed. I really should have looked into this before I installed the expansion pack, oh well. I can't afford to spend the extra $$ to upgrade my computer. I know it's not much, but really?? When it already costs $30-$40 to get the expansion pack, why should I spend even more money in addition to that to upgrade a computer that has worked and does work just fine for this one fluke in a game? And if it doesn't work then it would have been all for nothing anyway. It definitely seems EA has a lot of MAC users, so why the lack of urgency from them?
    edited December 2011
    I heard it wasn't just mac users, some pc users are experiencing the same problems. It just doesn't make sense that so many people are having these problems. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the fact that EA has attempted to help us (by telling us to upgrade our computers) but I upgraded and it still doesn't work.
    My problem is that every time a horse comes into play the game freezes and crashes, or I have to force the computer to crash. Originally, I figured I could just stick to the cats and dogs. But one day a random wild horse showed up on my lot and it froze again so there went that idea. The fault is on EA. They should have never put this game on the market having a faulty system. The technician who I spoke to said as silly as it sounds, its the horse code they've written and the only way around it is for EA to man up and patch it.
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, it's blatantly obvious that it's EAs fault completely. Obviously, the problem doesn't exist solely because our computer are 'weird', if certain PC users are plagued by the same sort of issues. Sure, they can 'advise' us to upgrade and such, but the real thing we need is a repair patch, to fix the screw-ups in the game. Which, after supposedly being two months in the making, doesn't seem to be on the horizon yet (which must mean that, if they are *indeed* working on some sort of patch, the problem must be pretty severe to take this long)... Fingers are still crossed.
    I'm amazed that you got a tech to admit to the fact that it's a coding error. I found it pretty obvious, since in my case, all of the game works properly except for the bit of lag, and the stupid freezing and need to force crash when some darned horse trots about. There's something seriously wrong with the horses, since I'm having no other severe problems with the game- or any other Sims 3 game, base game AND EPs alike, for that matter.

Come on, patch! :D
  • peacenikchick13peacenikchick13 Posts: 26 New Member
    edited December 2011
    Ok guys, this is the time to take some action. This post has contact information for several major players at EA--shoot them an email and let them know exactly how you feel, no mincing words. They won't know you're angry unless you tell them!! Let them know that this is unacceptable, that your faith in EA is seriously wavering and that you may no longer be a loyal customer. I have documented my own conversation with EA here, including a copy of the furious email I sent to everybody on the contact list--feel free to copy it if you like. The important thing is that you send them a message. It only takes a couple minutes to draft an email!

(Edited to fix a borked link!)
    edited December 2011
    I've actually sent a few of emails already, as well as trying to contact *someone* via the Live Chat- which just doesn't seem to be working for me right now.
    I've read your emails, peacenikchick13. :) I was browsing your thread, and believe you me, I've fired a few unhappy emails their way myself, as well as giving them a darn bad rating (not the most useful, but boy, it helps to vent!) on their awful service and support.
    I'm getting some others I know to fire them some emails as well, PC and Mac users alike.
  • viggy916viggy916 Posts: 11
    edited December 2011
    Oh my! I have a bit of happy news, well I was very pleased with what I found out while playing the game today. So before the recent patch my game would freeze if my sim saw a horse or if a horse was an inch in my screen. Yet today while playing the game, I was scrolled out all the way on "Sim View" (where the magnifying glass appears in the white circle) and a horse ran by without freezing! I was in shock with my recent history with many crashes/freezes. However, when you scroll in to see the horse it freezes and if you get your Sim to interact with it.

So, with the recent patch I am able to see horses and actually watch them (me, not my Sim) without freezing. I saw a Unicorn and rainbow for the first time :) even though it was far away... and small. But I was still happy. Even though I am still very disappointed with the lack of appreciation and acknowledgement from EA, there is still a small chance of hope they are on the right track. I am not sure if anyone else came across this but I felt like it was important. If this works with anyone else, YAY!
    edited December 2011
    viggy916, was it just a random occurrence, or did you reinstall the game or something of the sorts? I'm in the process of reinstalling after completely clearing my computer of anything Mac related, and I'm contemplating whether or not to use the new patch (which hasn't done much for me so far).
    Maybe things are starting to look up though... still have my fingers crossed.
  • SkwinkSkwink Posts: 2
    edited December 2011
    Hey guys, wanna hear a good joke? EA's customer support.

All my complaining did get me 20% off games on Origin, but I own a Mac so it's not much good.
  • viggy916viggy916 Posts: 11
    edited December 2011
    viggy916, was it just a random occurrence, or did you reinstall the game or something of the sorts? I'm in the process of reinstalling after completely clearing my computer of anything Mac related, and I'm contemplating whether or not to use the new patch (which hasn't done much for me so far).
    Maybe things are starting to look up though... still have my fingers crossed.

Nope, I didn't reinstall anything! Updated to get the new patch, started playing the game and when I was in the house I saw this gray thing run by my house on the road and I was like, the heck? I zoomed out and noticed it was indeed a horse, scrolled back to my house, saved the game, because knowing my luck it would freeze, scrolled over to the horse (with the screen zoomed out) and it was running away without freezing the game. So I took a chance and zoomed in and then it froze... Since I shut down the game and restarted it each time it has worked if I don't zoom in on them.
    edited December 2011
    Nope, I didn't reinstall anything! Updated to get the new patch, started playing the game and when I was in the house I saw this gray thing run by my house on the road and I was like, the heck? I zoomed out and noticed it was indeed a horse, scrolled back to my house, saved the game, because knowing my luck it would freeze, scrolled over to the horse (with the screen zoomed out) and it was running away without freezing the game. So I took a chance and zoomed in and then it froze... Since I shut down the game and restarted it each time it has worked if I don't zoom in on them.

Hm. Now that you mention it, I do remember something like that happening to me, although it was the second time I'd played the game (first time I'd played, I tried making a horse and the application crashed. Second time, I steered clear of the horses, managed to get a good two hour game going, and lo-and-behold, a horse went running by).
    I saw that one horse twice; the first time, it was pretty far from my lot, so nothing happened or crashed. The second time, he came a smidgen closer to the house, and there goes the game.
    This was before I'd updated to the new patch, though...
    Well, I've reinstalled and made sure everything on my computer is up to date (and might upgrade to Snow Leopard, or run Windows on Bootcamp), so I'm going to try the game both without and with the patch. See what I can find.
    edited December 2011
    It all comes down to EA making the stupid patch. I'm currently in the midsts of getting the media involved simply because that's the only way this is going to be solved. Bottom line: EA put a crappy product on the market and instead of admitting it and fixing it they're ignoring it. I love the sims too much to let this go, as pathetic as that sounds lol. Some people need a cigarette break to get through their day, well I need the sims, and I'm going through withdrawals right about now, ha. I'm also in the process of making a video in hopes to persuade them to make a patch for this problem, hopefully this works. Honestly though, power in numbers: the more people who complain or return their game the bigger the statement. We all have a common goal here, we should work together.
  • LadyDee2010LadyDee2010 Posts: 1
    edited December 2011
    I've been having the same issue. Whenever my sim goes near a horse, the game completely stalls. Before I installed the Pets expansion pack there were periods when the game slowed, and it did crash, but seeing as the SIMS 1 and 2 also crashed on my computers, I assumed that was normal. But without fail, every time my sim goes near anything horse related the game crashes. The funny thing is I uninstalled the pets expansion pack from SIMS 1 because it would crash the game frequently, and then refused to buy it when I got the SIMS 2. I decided to try again, thinking I was getting a "deal" by buying the limited edition with the SIMS 3 and pets, but without fail, pets crashes the whole game. What happened to make the pets expansion pack so faulty??????
  • TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited December 2011
    Let me guess: This post was on the Mac forum before gurus decided to dump it here?

Guys, welcome to the Bermuda Triangle. Give you three guesses as to why this forum has that nickname.

Anyway, I'm sorry this is happening to you, and I hope that EA fixes it. Honestly, they've screwed over Mac players enough.
  • cammy442cammy442 Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    I am having the exact same problem!!! UGH! What is the email for EA support so we can fight this? I've done some research and it seems like EA has the worst customer service ever... but that doesn't mean there isn't power in numbers.
  • brogantatebrogantate Posts: 6
    edited January 2012
    I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO freaking annoyed! I too am having the stupid horse freeze game crash problem. I can play with the dogs and other animals..adopt them etc..but no horses..at the most I have been able to look at a horse for about 5 seconds without it freezing. I emailed EA and am waiting for a response..probably wont even get one since noone else is! I am well aware that it is very hard to make a video game etc..and even new games for the xbox etc have problems when they are first released...I accept that I might have to wait awhile for a patch that can fix our problems..but the least they can freaking do is give their loyal customers SOME sort of information on the timescale and progress of the patch, rather than just ignoring us all.

***** EA. Sort it out.
  • LynetLynet Posts: 18 New Member
    edited January 2012
    Let me guess: This post was on the Mac forum before gurus decided to dump it here?

Guys, welcome to the Bermuda Triangle. Give you three guesses as to why this forum has that nickname.
    Bermuda Triangle?
    LOL, how about the Circular File?

Makes me wonder why they haven't moved the entire Mac Discussion forum here.
    Probably just a matter of time.