Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

DVD or Digital Download? What do you prefer?

I find it pretty neat using digital downloads cause I was able to install the game onto my netbook which doesn't have an optical drive, but....having the DVD is a plus as well in case I happen to have a hardware failure. I purchased all my sim games by digital download except Abitions and WA so those 2 didn't make it on my netbook edition.

The good thing with the digital is you can re-download/install as often as you like although I don't use Origin I purchase from Amazon.

One issue I do have is I tried downloading the Ford Focus vehicle onto my netbook version game but it said I already owned, which I do on my desktop version....does the sims store NOT allow a member to re-download items?? :(

Comments

• KeziahTKeziahT Posts: 968 Member
    edited December 2011
    Yeah you can re-download items. You just have to go into your Purchase History, it's all there.
  • IAmtheGoblinKingIAmtheGoblinKing Posts: 317 New Member
    edited December 2011
    I too, am a fan of the digital copies VS. DVD/disc copy. As for the store items, I think you are able to re-download the content, just go to your purchase history and re-download from there instead of the page item. Hopefully that'll help.
    Cheers. 8)
  • XxIAmTheReaperxXXxIAmTheReaperxX Posts: 205 Member
    edited December 2011
    I prefer having the disc, I don't really know why.

You can, go into your Purchase History and it should be there.
  • SpeggySpeggy Posts: 406 New Member
    edited December 2011
    Sorry I can't help you there but I'm pretty sure you can still re-download things you purchased from the store.

I bought dvds for all of my sims game since beginning of Sims2 and it was starting to pile up and I was recently considering if there's anyway to convert them into digital format where I can install anytime I want. Also, easy to keep.

But I guess the dvds would be a more practical choice since the store always screws up my downloads as well. Similar to your situation I would say..
  • KyrochuKyrochu Posts: 215
    edited December 2011
    I prefer digital download. I lose things way to easily and if something goes wrong and I have to reinstall I'd be in trouble if I had all discs.

I have the base came in disc, and I lost it almost a month after I bought it. I haven't found it yet and I bought it almost a year ago.
  • MGSFan612MGSFan612 Posts: 3,429 Member
    edited December 2011
    I prefer disk slightly because I can get a 10% discount on it even on release day due to my employee discount at the store I work at. Plus you also get the digital download if you buy the disk version so it is a win win situation.
  • CrazycatldyCrazycatldy Posts: 4,588 Member
    edited December 2011
    I prefer the DVD.
    I dread the day that all games go to Digital and I know that day's coming.
  • MGSFan612MGSFan612 Posts: 3,429 Member
    edited December 2011
    Kyrochu wrote:
    I have the base came in disc, and I lost it almost a month after I bought it. I haven't found it yet and I bought it almost a year ago.

If you still have the registration code you can go here https://activate.ea.com/applyentitlement.do and after entering your code there you will be able to download the digital download the basegame on origin if you ever need to.
  • SpeggySpeggy Posts: 406 New Member
    edited December 2011
    @MGSFan612:

Oh just what I'm looking for! Thank you!
  • XOX1XOX1 Posts: 2,643 Member
    edited December 2011

I prefer DVD physical copies, but I know that there will only be digital available in the future.

The only thing I see as a flaw, and worry about it going all digital, is that it is a dead end.

With physical copies, even a long time after the series is over, it would be able to be played.

This is true with the Sims 2, which I have the full collection of on disk. I only have one patch needed for the entire series. That is the fix for Critical Aspiration, which was a glitch in Freetime. I do not need any other patches or fixes in order for S2 to play, and it plays great.

Basically, since I have the entire S2 series on physical disks, I can play it for as long as I keep the collection.

This is not true with digital downloads!

It is dependent on "Legacy Support". That means how a company supports it's older products. Some companies have "Legacy Support" for all of it's products going all the way back to day one on their websites. Other companies cancel "Legacy Support" after a certain time when a product has been replaced by newer things.

This to me is what makes me uneasy about the Sims going all digital.

There is also the fact that Sims 3 is highly dependent on the constant patching needed to keep the game running. These patches are not given to us in package form, they are directly installed into our games. I do not know how I could save the patches for posterity, if someone does, please let me know.

EA also uses the patches to put build items and objects into our games. If we can't save the patches, then objects, and things like basement building will be lost to us.

If the intended course was to go all digital, then the Store should also have been presented to us on a subscription basis, with everything available for a reasonable yearly fee. This would mean we would be getting additional content for our games, instead of being shortchanged on content in the EPs & SPs so they can sell the things left out of them in the Store for prices that are highly ridiculous.

The fact that the future of my gameplay is uncertain and may lead to a dead end, makes me wonder if I should be investing any further in the product line.