Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Spawners - How many are too many?

Well, I have looked in the FAQ and Tutorials section for my answer to this question, but I can't seem to find the right answer.

Do too many spawners cause lag? If so, how many spawners are too many for a lot and how many spawners are too many for my entire world (Riverview Map)?

Thank you in advance,

Callum

Comments

• DocsprockDocsprock Posts: 3,869 Member
    edited December 2011
    I dont think anyone has definite numbers. It is generally a good idea to keep as many spawners as possible on lots, rather than 'free range'. But, Ive placed well over 100 on the world map without problems.
  • Callum9432Callum9432 Posts: 6,462 Member
    edited December 2011
    Docsprock wrote:
    I dont think anyone has definite numbers. It is generally a good idea to keep as many spawners as possible on lots, rather than 'free range'. But, Ive placed well over 100 on the world map without problems.
    I was hoping tha would be the answer. It will save me a lot of time. Thanks :D
  • Scorpina2009Scorpina2009 Posts: 1,547 Member
    edited December 2011
    Ok, I'm about to show my ignorance by asking..........

What is a spawner? LOL
    edited December 2011
    Ok, I'm about to show my ignorance by asking..........

What is a spawner? LOL
    Spawners make things like seeds, fish, metal, butterflies, moths and other bugs appear within a cirle around them.
  • Scorpina2009Scorpina2009 Posts: 1,547 Member
    edited December 2011
    oh ok, thanks :)
    edited December 2011
    Your welcome :)
  • VanillaTwilight93VanillaTwilight93 Posts: 349 Member
    edited December 2011
    Have you read this:
    http://customsims3.com/forums/thread-88.html

It says too many spawners can cause lag because they're animated effects, but sunset valley has about 200 spawners in it, so thats probably about the right amount for the riverview map too :mrgreen:
  • BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for digging that up, VanillaTwilight! I KNEW we had that info there and you just saved me the trouble. :D

Callum, I think it's more important to not overdo the fish spawners than anything else because since the fish animate too many will take quite a toll on graphics. Someone else asked the same question the other day and I posted my general rule of thumb. I don't like worlds where spawners are everywhere, partly because every time I see something I have to pick it up and partly because it's a nuisance having a ton of stuff spawning everywhere all the time.

So, I came up with a list that I tested in game and it has worked out really well but of course depends on the size of the world because a large world really can use more spawners than a small one.

Common: three to five each.
    Uncommon: two or three each.
    Rare: one or two each.

To my mind it doesn't make sense to put in tons of spawners for rare stuff since those items are, after all, supposed to be rare.

When it comes to the fish spawners I may shake that up a little bit depending on what the shoreline is like. Say for example there are a couple of beach spots, one of them more secluded and possibly smaller than another. I would put one rare spawner, one uncommon, and a couple of normal in the out of the way area, then for the section that's larger and has easier access, place a couple of uncommon and three or four common. Overall the amount ends up what makes the most sense for that map but I definitely don't like overdoing them.
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
  • bunbunnynybunbunnyny Posts: 3,678 Member
    edited December 2011
    Well, whatever you do, keep this in mind:
    The Rare Spawners have the word "Rare" in them for a reason. They're extremely valuable, like the Pink Diamond. For the most rare spawners, place 1-3 of them if it's a large world all over the world. Make sure you spread them out!
    edited December 2011
    Thank you to everyone who replied. All the tips and info and that link posted by VanillaTwilight have helped me a lot and saved me quite a bit of time :D