Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Manchester - A Flat World!

I've created a world before (East Haven) that was really my novice attempt of making a small world (at the time, it was pretty good I thought.) After buying a few EPs and playing the worlds there, I dislike all of them. I'm less about how the world looks as far as hills and all that and more about efficiency. In The Sims 2, the worlds were flat and gridded and were fun because if you ever bought an EP, you weren't limited by hills, mountains, etc. That's what New Manchester is for me. Perhaps others of you are interested in a flat world? If so, I'm in the process of making one.

Don't get me wrong - I want my world to look good! I just think that the hills and mountains in current worlds aren't necessary to do so and even limiting in a way. I'll post photos as I progress, but its barely anything right now.

Comments

• Scorpina2009Scorpina2009 Posts: 1,547 Member
    edited December 2011
    I look forward to seeing the finished product. :)
  • tjstreaktjstreak Posts: 808 Member
    edited December 2011
    nativeofny wrote:
    I just think that the hills and mountains in current worlds aren't necessary to do so and even limiting in a way. I'll post photos as I progress, but its barely anything right now.

I have been thinking the same thing for quite a while now, as I flatten more and more parts of my world. Also, I have made a world for testing objects which appropriately is named "Flat World."

Not only that, a real hilly world is not particularly realistic in most cases. Outside of mountainous or hilly areas, most communities are relatively flat.

I think the reasons for adding hills are aesthetic. Hills and valleys look more interesting than flat ground. Also, they serve to break up a community into discreet sections.

But there are other ways of achieving these same effects. For example, distant terrain, and particularly custom distant terrain can create the same visual interest that you get from in world hills. Also, water -- rivers, lakes and the like can be both interesting and serve to break up the world. Forests serve the same purpose. And even large stretches of cities with or without skyscrapers can be just as interesting as a hill.

One thing is sure; a flat world will look nothing like the majority of worlds one sees being uploaded.
  • zorba2357zorba2357 Posts: 6,103 Member
    edited December 2011
    I agree! Another thing I would like to see is the flat world, or any world, have more straight roads. Have the roads be more gridlike with straight lines or squares, like an inner city, with A Lot of roads to place buildings and houses.

It seems like almost all the worlds I see have curvy meandering roads that curve all over and look very country-like, but you have to search around to even place the lots or buildings.
  • BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    edited December 2011
    It's nice when worlds have flat areas with fairly straight roads. I'm very tired of running out of room with every expansion pack. :lol:

I've also seen where worlds are mostly flat but have some nice variation by putting different areas of the town on plateaus. This brings a nice blend between aesthetically pleasing and efficient use of space.

Magic_Dancer did a remake of the Sunset Valley lite files that's mostly flat and has oodles of space! Now that's not saying we can't use more such worlds, because many of us like having multiple saves each in a different town so having another is always welcome. :)
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
  • nativeofnynativeofny Posts: 66 New Member
    edited December 2011
    You guys all took my thoughts out of my head and posted them! Haha yeah, thats exactly why I'm making this world. Its dominantly grided roads. When the time comes for me to buy another expansion (I'm holding off on pets, WA) It'll be really easy to add space and well, expand. I also agree that hills and moutains are there for the looks, but I just figure use the distant terrain. Works fine for me, really. Well, when I do have photos, I will indeed post them.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    edited December 2011
    Hi, :)

I can understand that. It's much easier to add and redo also.
    I do think you're remembering the maps of TS2 differently though. There were only a few true flat maps. Most had hills and valleys. ;)

To me, I have to have variation. It's not about function over Aesthetics- it's about them together~ for me.

But sure! I made me a build world just for lots- when I was offering to build. Called it Grid Town- I had one in TS2 I made also. It's fun to fill up.

Welcome to the CAW Section- and have fun. :mrgreen:
    edited December 2011
    Thank you! I believe it'll be a pretty nice looking world. I'm always looking to learn new things along the way too!
    edited December 2011
    Time constricts me from doing things as quickly as I'd like, but heres a few photos of what little I do have finished!

World1.png
    World2.png
    World4.png
  • tl8autl8au Posts: 168 New Member
    edited December 2011
    nativeofny wrote:
    I've created a world before (East Haven) that was really my novice attempt of making a small world (at the time, it was pretty good I thought.) After buying a few EPs and playing the worlds there, I dislike all of them. I'm less about how the world looks as far as hills and all that and more about efficiency. In The Sims 2, the worlds were flat and gridded and were fun because if you ever bought an EP, you weren't limited by hills, mountains, etc. That's what New Manchester is for me. Perhaps others of you are interested in a flat world? If so, I'm in the process of making one.

Don't get me wrong - I want my world to look good! I just think that the hills and mountains in current worlds aren't necessary to do so and even limiting in a way. I'll post photos as I progress, but its barely anything right now.

I totally agree with you ...

looking forward to seeing your world...

is it going to be big , medium or small ?
  • AlexRoz9AlexRoz9 Posts: 309 New Member
    edited December 2011
    Both of the worlds that I'm working on (Yes, they're still in development,) are essentially "flat worlds." Alexville is being designed as a large flat world with the goal of using only base game and free promotional content throughout; Alexview is also being designed as a large flat world, but will be an "everything but the kitchen sink" design.

It's definitely nice to see other flat worlds in development though; I don't mind hills in some worlds, but many actual towns are flat, and I want that type of "flat earth" effect in my worlds. Obviously, if someone is designing a mountainous world, I'm going to expect hills, but it's nice to see a variety of worlds, and flat worlds only add to that variety.
    edited December 2011
    tl8au wrote:
    nativeofny wrote:

I totally agree with you ...

looking forward to seeing your world...

is it going to be big , medium or small ?

Thank you! And, it's going to be a medium sized world.
    edited December 2011
    AlexRoz9 wrote:
    Both of the worlds that I'm working on (Yes, they're still in development,) are essentially "flat worlds." Alexville is being designed as a large flat world with the goal of using only base game and free promotional content throughout; Alexview is also being designed as a large flat world, but will be an "everything but the kitchen sink" design.

It's definitely nice to see other flat worlds in development though; I don't mind hills in some worlds, but many actual towns are flat, and I want that type of "flat earth" effect in my worlds. Obviously, if someone is designing a mountainous world, I'm going to expect hills, but it's nice to see a variety of worlds, and flat worlds only add to that variety.

Yes I totally agree! There should be more of them. I want to see your worlds when you get them started more :)
    edited January 2012
    how is this world going , if its still in the process
    edited January 2012
    bumping up this thread ... Can't wait to see more pics..