Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Didn't install correctly, and apparently won't uninstall correctly.

Using Origin, I downloaded and installed Sims 3 High End Loft, the installer acted immediately after it was finished downloading, the application was on my task bar, but I couldn't bring it up to see what it was doing, and before I knew it, I received a message that it was done installing, without going though the install process, such as selecting an install location. The program files didn't show up where the default install location should be(Program Files/Electronic Arts) but the icon showed up on the desktop. Without clicking on the shortcut, I uninstalled the High End Loft from the control panel, after completing the process, it didn't remove itself from the list, I did the uninstallation process again, many times, with the same result, and I borrowed my friends disc version of High End Loft, and it does the uninstallation instead of the installation, i've got nowhere else to turn, and I would appreciate any help.

Comments

• Hawkflight1066Hawkflight1066 Posts: 245 Member
    edited August 2011
    Taking a stab in the dark here, since no one else has replied I'd GUESS that the stuff pack integrates itself into the game in the way that the old Sims One expansion packs used to - and as a result you CANNOT uninstall it. You have to uninstall the whole game and start over completely.

This is why it's adviseable to save your game files to a separate location before adding any EP or stuff pack in case it goes horribly wrong - so you can reinstall, put back you saved files and carry on okay.

Saying that - I haven't actually worked out yet where my saved games reside in the Sims folder....... So I take a chance each time I add something that I might lose the whole shebang. :cry:
  • Tyler60000Tyler60000 Posts: 7
    edited August 2011
    I fixed it already, thanks though.
  • blu3canaryblu3canary Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    What did you do to fix it? I'm having a similar problem.
  • GEMUFRANGEMUFRAN Posts: 4
    edited September 2011
    hi, could anybody tell me how can I install a new package on a PC, please?
  • GEMUFRANGEMUFRAN Posts: 4
    edited September 2011
    I bought a CD, an extension pack, but I don't know the steps to install it correctly and join it to the basic game Sims3. Could you help me,please?
  • gia1gia1 Posts: 8
    edited October 2011
    OK, so i just bought sims 3 pets limited edition i put it in my laptop and it installed then it wasnt responding so i shut down my computer then i put the disc in again and it said are you sure you want to uninstall sims 3 pets so i thought it installed so i checked and it wasnt so when the question poped up again i clicked yes then it finished so i put the cd in and it said the same thing again so i went to the shops and exchanged it my computer still thinks its installed i am going to go return it and try with the normal sims 3 pets can someone please help me i really want the limited edition :cry::cry::cry:
  • Lo49Lo49 Posts: 1
    edited October 2011
    The exact same thing happened to us......didn't install correctly and even though it says it is uninstalled, the computer doesn't recognize it. Spent over an hour on the phone with technical support and they were of no help at all. Did you end up returning the limited edition?
  • Josee33Josee33 Posts: 2
    edited November 2011
    hi eummmm how did anyone fix this same problem here :/ ?
  • Josee33Josee33 Posts: 2
    edited November 2011
    exept ive got sims 3 pets and its not uninstalling
  • ShallowDiveeShallowDivee Posts: 1
    edited November 2011
    having EXACTLY the same problem here!! its driving me crazy!!! except mine was working fine for 3 days and then I tried to open it and the game says it wasnt installed, but the computer reckons it was and I couldnt uninstall! :x
  • 972bently7972bently7 Posts: 1
    edited November 2011
    Same problem here, I cant uninstall it either.I have the limited edition.
  • edited November 2011
    Same here. Not sure what to do.
  • AminePockyAminePocky Posts: 6
    edited November 2011
    I'm having much the same problem. I attempted installing the sims 3 pets. It all looked fine, but something had happened to it and it didn't install properly. Now everytime I try to run the game it asks me to uninstall. I go through the whole uninstallation process but it doesnt actually uninstall. Also.. When I was first installing the game before all this happened it wanted me to download a patch, which I did, not sure if that had anything to do with it but if anyone has the answer, please help..
  • constanceconstance Posts: 1,379 Member
    edited December 2011
    I'm having the same problem. I tried to uninstall it because my game kept crashing. After it was so called 'uninstalled', my game kept crashing, so I decided to just uninstall all my eps and reinstall them. I've been able to uninstall all the eps except Pets. No one's found a solution to this?
  • AricapiAricapi Posts: 1
    edited December 2011
    I'm having the exact same problem too! I downloaded the patches too, I wonder if that was the problem?
    edited December 2011
    I already posted this on a different thread.. but I'll copy and paste it here aswell.

Ok, I got my brother to have a look at my game and he finally figured out how to get it to uninstall.
    He found the file in my computer and changed the name so that the computer would not recognise it and think that it had not been installed. I reinstalled my sims 3 base game, once that was fully installed, I ran the latest patch (Patches can be found here - http://www.simprograms.com/the-sims/the-sims-3/the...-3-patches/patches-the-sims-3/)
    After the patch was done, I began installing all my Sims 3 games again.. in order of purchase.
    My game now works.. although it does run a little slow...

Other information on uninstalling it can be found here - http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php?PH...opic=16227.msg467134#msg467134

Hope this helps!
  • JrockmuseJrockmuse Posts: 1
    edited December 2011
    Which file did he locate? Where? I am for real having this issues D:

The launcher won't recognize, Suddenly, that it's installed and I try to uninstall it and it says it does, but the cino and such won't go away and won't uninstall D: hALP!
  • jokerninjajokerninja Posts: 1 New Member
    edited December 2011
    this is gonna a lot of typing, and a lot of reading on your part, but I wanna help you guys play your new game. and there are a lot of steps to take but it's well worth it.

hey guys, I know this is a couple days late but I think I have a solution to this problem.
    the problem:
    I just got the sims 3 pets limited edition for Christmas and I had the exact same problem. it froze when, after "installing" the game, i clicked yes to install the latest version of origin. I shut my computer off and then I couldn't play the game or uninstall it.
    the solution:
    so I opened up the readme file for the game and skimmed it until I read that you don't need a disk if you launch the game from origin, which somehow managed to completely install on my computer after the game didn't. to get onto origin, you can use your email and password you use for this website to login. now origin might take a minute or two to come up and you might not be able to type or click anything but just be patient, I promise it will work eventually.
    the directions:
    after logging, click the question mark. there should be a search box in the top right hand corner. in that search box just type "sims 3 pets". there should be four choices first, click the fourth one. (I tried to put a picture in here for you guys but I couldn't figure out how). so just don't scroll down to see other choices, click the one that says "The Sims 3: Pets Manual Uninstall". once you click it, before what it tells you to do, it should say "2 of 25 people found this article helpful". if you see that, you're looking at the right article. there's a list of stuff you should do. I didn't need to "backup the save data" because I couldn't play the game to begin with so I didn't have save data. and if you don't, all of the custom content on the launcher will be fine too, I promise. for those of you who can't get on origin, I'll copy an paste everything here because I know how badly you guys wanna play your new sims game :)

Backup the save data:
    1. Click the Start button and select Documents
    2. Select the Electronic Arts folder
    3. Right-click the Sims 3 folder and select Cut
    4. Right-click on your desktop and select Paste
    5. To restore your Sims 3 save games and settings, move this folder back into the Electronic Arts folder
    that stuff is optional like I said earlier.

Delete the game files (in the default location):
    1. Click the Start button and select Computer
    2. Select the C: drive folder
    3. Select the Program Files folder
    4. Select the Electronic Arts folder
    5. Right-click the Sims 3 Pets folder and select Delete

now this next part is also optional but it is strongly recommended (by me, origin, and my mom - who wouldn't stop bothering me until I actually completed it) that you complete it because there is a possibility that your computer could start to operate improperly.
    (Warning: Changes to the registry can cause your computer to operate improperly, so please follow these instructions exactly as they are written.)
    Backing up the registry:
    Perform the steps listed below to back-up the registry so that should something go wrong, you can restore your system back to a working state:
    1. Click the Start button (Windows button on Windows Vista) on the Windows Taskbar.
    2. Click Run.
    3. Type regedit into the available text field, and click OK.
    4. Select File, then Export
    5. Select All under Export Range.
    6. Type backup into the File name field, and click Save.

this part is going to seem very long but it only takes a couple minutes. READ the directions CAREFULLY though, I never read anything carefully so I just wanna warn you people out there that are like me.
    Delete the registry keys:
    1. Expand the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder
    2. Expand the SOFTWARE folder
    3. Expand the Electronic Arts folder
    4. Expand the Sims folder
    5. Right-click the Sims 3 Pets folder and select Delete
    6. Collapse the Electronic Arts folder
    7. Expand the Sims folder
    8. Right-click the Sims 3 Pets folder and select Delete
    9. Collapse the Sims folder
    10. Expand the Microsoft folder
    11. Expand the Windows folder
    12. Expand the CurrentVersion folder
    13. Expand the Uninstall folder
    14. Right-click the {C12631C6-804D-4B32-B0DD-8A496462F106} folder and select delete
    15. Collapse the Microsoft folder
    that didn't take too long, right?

this next part is short and easy. but once again, read carefully.
    Delete the uninstall files:
    1. Click the Start button and select Computer
    2. Select the C: drive folder
    3. Select the Program Files folder
    4. Select Tools, then Folder Options, then View, then select "Show hidden files and folders"; you may need to press the Alt key to make the Tools option appear
    5. Select the InstallShield Installation Information folder
    6. Right-click the {C12631C6-804D-4B32-B0DD-8A496462F106} folder and select delete

you should be all done now. all you have to do is install the game. if you have origin, I would suggest you install it from there. in order to find the game in your origin, you have to register it with this website - on your page - first. once you do that you can go into origin and install it. you might have to download it first which took and hour or two on my computer so you really have to be patient but you should be able to play your game.

well guys, it's finally time to stop reading. I know it seems like a lot to do but it's really not and it's worth it. so I hope it helps you guys like it helped me. good luck! :mrgreen:
  • AnnabelleHemsleyAnnabelleHemsley Posts: 2
    edited December 2011
    just a tip for you all with the same problem, don't unistall your other exp. packs, i did that and the one that i wanted to uninstall still didnt uninstall.

i have the same problem as everyone else, maybe the game itself is corrupt.

any help is appriciated :x
  • AnnabelleHemsleyAnnabelleHemsley Posts: 2
    edited December 2011
    THIS WORKS, FOLLOW THE STEPS FROM jokerninja IT WORKS! THANKYOU SO MUCH! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    edited January 2012
    Jrockmuse wrote:
    Which file did he locate? Where? I am for real having this issues D:

The launcher won't recognize, Suddenly, that it's installed and I try to uninstall it and it says it does, but the cino and such won't go away and won't uninstall D: hALP!

Sorry that it took me so long to get back to you. My brother changed the sims 3 pets file name.. so first you have to track down the file on your computer... which is the tricky part.
    Try Jokerninja's steps.. there is alot more information there, sorry I can't be of much help. My brother didnt really tell me much about what he did to get the game working (Only the basics). But from what I've learnt.. let the game fully install, even if it looks like it's frozen. Let it fully install! >.<
    Good Luck.
  • Teamedwarad4evaTeamedwarad4eva Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    Same thing happend to me i even took my computer in to get it checked out and they said notheing was wrong. :( and i have been trying and trying to get it to uninstal but it just wont! and i am getting soooooooooooooooooo stressed out! :x someone plz help im desprate!!!! :cry:
  • daretofallupdaretofallup Posts: 4
    edited February 2012
    @jokerninja: When deleting the registry keys, I had no Electronic Arts folder in the SOFTWARE section. Do you have any idea why?
  • knomie2knomie2 Posts: 5
    edited March 2012
    Thank you sooooo much jokerninja you saved me from taking my computer to the computer store you also saved my $100 :lol:
  • RubyRedHairRubyRedHair Posts: 1
    edited April 2012
    You could try a free program called CCleaner, which basically allows you to manually uninstall programs and/ or Expantion Packs: Download it from: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner (Or just google it)
    1. Open CCleaner
    2. Go to tools
    3. Select the relevant program
    4. Click run uninstaller
    It should then work itself out from there, hope this helps!