Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Getting quite annoying now...

Comments

• EsotericDibEsotericDib Posts: 51 New Member
    edited October 2011
    I can understand completely. It is rude in a sense though.. it's still lippy.

"Your first mistake was..."

Considering Polekitty never made a "mistake" by buying a laptop when she could play it before but not well. Maybe she has a preference for laptops? Who knows? But why Judge like that?

I do like Pets, I just feel bad because I know how Polekitty feels. Not too long ago I too had a terrible computer, it was a desktop computer. It took me a long while to save up the money to buy it considering the costs going up of daily items, you know necessities. You can't really help life and sometimes it'd be nice if the developers factored that in when they think of their gamers..

Actually... Polekitty made a mistake, and a pretty huge one at that. She made a mistake that is actually covered in a number of introductory computer classes these days as something you don't do.

What was that mistake? Buying a laptop for any game where you may have to at some point upgrade your hardware to play the game. This is... basically any game that still uses expansion packs of some sort, which pretty much means all of the big ones. A game like Angry Birds is fine on a laptop; Sims 3, World of Warcraft, and a few others are "only if you stole the laptop from a military computer development lab" for those. In other words, don't do it.

Not everyone has money to take introductory computer classes. I know that back in our high school our only computer course was on Visual Basic, anything other than that costs money to take.

Secondly; What happened to AlienWare laptops? As much as they do cost a lot, they aren't from a military computer development lab. As far as I know anyway.
  • KikionparasKikionparas Posts: 1,313 Member
    edited October 2011
    ^ I thought EsotericDib was MORE rude than JuggyJones o.O

I seriously don't think the original message was rude at all, but I do think that the reply is more than a little bit rude.

It really wasn't, it really seems that people don't understand what the word rude means anymore.

If anyone doesn't understand it, I'd say it's you. I keep reading the first comment over and over and there's nothing rude about it.
    edited October 2011
    okay from what i see it is now OUR fault that the graphics decided to be upgraded. had alot of know that we would probably have never boughten the game. i unstalled pets because i got so frustrated and now my game is fine so now i know's pets. some of us can't afford new graphics card because alot of people are having trouble finding jobs and such and have other things to think about. why should we have to update our pc's/laptops ? they aren't the ones paying for it we are and i can't really afford it right now

I agree. Like I said earlier, my laptop has worked great with Sims. But if all of a sudden the DEVELOPER comes out with a new expansion or game that ORIGINALLY worked fine on my computer, than I would expect the new one to, also. So I agree that it's not fair the we, the consumers, have to spend hundreds of dollars to keep up with a $40 game (which in and of itself is a little pricy). I'm a college student and have loans and bills and rent to pay. I can't go throwing money around so I can play a game that's always previously worked fine for me!

^ Exactly. I wasn't only referring to the whole comment as rude from Juggy I was also stating not everyone can pay for the upgrades but a lot of people seem to keep over looking the fact, stating that i'm hounding her meanwhile she had said something to someone else in the first place that was in essence, rude. I just feel that it's unfair when not everyone has all the money in the world to keep upgrading their systems when the developers are pretty smart, you're telling me they can't figure something out?
  • TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited October 2011
    okay from what i see it is now OUR fault that the graphics decided to be upgraded. had alot of know that we would probably have never boughten the game. i unstalled pets because i got so frustrated and now my game is fine so now i know's pets. some of us can't afford new graphics card because alot of people are having trouble finding jobs and such and have other things to think about. why should we have to update our pc's/laptops ? they aren't the ones paying for it we are and i can't really afford it right now

Do you want me to answer that with the blunt truth... or with something you'd like to hear? If something you'd like to hear, stop reading right now and post a reply saying you'd prefer that.

The blunt truth? Yes, it actually is our fault. We, as a community, demanded Pets, demanded it be better than Sims 2, and basically wanted EA to improve it in every way they could. Well, we as the community forgot something: That, in turn, means a much more massive jump in requirements in Sims 3 for Pets than it did in Sims 2. EA, seeing how much money they could make by caving in to our demands, did exactly what we wanted. Now we're paying the price, and it's steeper than we imagined.

Quite likely, if the demand had never been there, Pets wouldn't have been made as it was. But, the demand was there. The wants were there. The requests were there. And EA, seeing a potential for profit, tried to make it happen. Thus comes our current issues.

Now, should EA have been more forthcoming? Yes. But, really, we should know better by now than to expect it.
    edited October 2011
    ^ I thought EsotericDib was MORE rude than JuggyJones o.O

I seriously don't think the original message was rude at all, but I do think that the reply is more than a little bit rude.

It really wasn't, it really seems that people don't understand what the word rude means anymore.

If anyone doesn't understand it, I'd say it's you. I keep reading the first comment over and over and there's nothing rude about it.

Oh I understand it perfectly. Everyone has their opinions though, right? ;)
  • drowssapdrowssap Posts: 2,007 Member
    edited October 2011
    the argument about laptops or desktop pc's for "gaming" seems abit off topic.

the comment made about how it is a "mistake" to buy a laptop for gaming is opinion. theres plenty of laptops out there that are quite capable of handling gaming, and i find comments like that quite irritating. not ALL laptops are bad for gaming.

• tigerlily319tigerlily319 Posts: 559 New Member
    edited October 2011

I agree. Like I said earlier, my laptop has worked great with Sims. But if all of a sudden the DEVELOPER comes out with a new expansion or game that ORIGINALLY worked fine on my computer, than I would expect the new one to, also. So I agree that it's not fair the we, the consumers, have to spend hundreds of dollars to keep up with a $40 game (which in and of itself is a little pricy). I'm a college student and have loans and bills and rent to pay. I can't go throwing money around so I can play a game that's always previously worked fine for me!

^ Exactly. I wasn't only referring to the whole comment as rude from Juggy I was also stating not everyone can pay for the upgrades but a lot of people seem to keep over looking the fact, stating that i'm hounding her meanwhile she had said something to someone else in the first place that was in essence, rude. I just feel that it's unfair when not everyone has all the money in the world to keep upgrading their systems when the developers are pretty smart, you're telling me they can't figure something out?

REALLY don't want to get involved in this.. but what I think everyone is just trying to say is that it's not the EA CAN'T keep their old graphics, it's just that they WON'T because technology is constantly improving, and to be in the competitive business of gaming means they have to keep up with the graphically higher quality games...
    *goes back into hiding*
  • PrincessTink384PrincessTink384 Posts: 611 Member
    edited October 2011
    i didn't demand EA to make pets did i? no i didn't, they are the ones who wanted it. i just go along with it. i thought the sims 2 pets was fine i had no problem with it. and for another thing i don't like your attitude, maybe you should go and buy new graphic cards for everyone.
    edited October 2011
    Not everyone has money to take introductory computer classes. I know that back in our high school our only computer course was on Visual Basic, anything other than that costs money to take.

Secondly; What happened to AlienWare laptops? As much as they do cost a lot, they aren't from a military computer development lab. As far as I know anyway.

Considering you're playing a video game and chatting online about it... sorry, the money issue isn't going to fly with me. If I can scrape together enough on unemployment and student grants to get my computer working again with really expensive parts, people who actually still have jobs in this economy have even less excuse.

So, no, you're not going to get me to accept the money item as an excuse.

Also, some of the AlienWare laptops are not compatible with Pets.
  • juggyjonesjuggyjones Posts: 243 Member
    edited October 2011
    Woah.

My intention wasn't to be rude, I was simply pointing out that buying a laptop to play the Sims on isn't necessarily the best thing to do because it's difficult to upgrade them. It's pretty much a given that as new games are released, the graphics and software are improved and updated, so if you want to keep up with them, get a computer that is easy to upgrade.

I was speaking from experience in my initial message. I used to play on my laptop, and it was great at first, but eventually I had to change to a desktop PC in order to keep my hardware up to code with the new expansion packs being released.

If you don't want to keep updating your computers, stop buying new games as they're released, or you're going to continue to run into these problems.

You shouldn't have had to be told that the graphics level on the Pets expansion was going to change. Each game is released with it's own system requirements, and they're introducing ANIMALS, something that hasn't yet been done in the Sims 3 franchise yet. Of course it's going to require some advanced graphics.

And if developers factored the expense to their gamers in when coming up with new games, this whole forum would be swarmed with threads about how the game isn't good enough.

It's a lose/lose situation. But it could be turned into a win if you either (A) buy a laptop that you can upgrade with no issues or (B) buy a desktop.

You're going to need to upgrade SOMETHING eventually, so you might as well buy a desktop for gaming.
    Origin Username: ndegrassi
    edited October 2011
    drowssap wrote:
    the argument about laptops or desktop pc's for "gaming" seems abit off topic.

the comment made about how it is a "mistake" to buy a laptop for gaming is opinion. theres plenty of laptops out there that are quite capable of handling gaming, and i find comments like that quite irritating. not ALL laptops are bad for gaming.

Try to upgrade one and then tell me how well that works for you.

That's why laptops are bad for gaming.
    edited October 2011

Now, should EA have been more forthcoming? Yes. But, really, we should know better by now than to expect it.

This is another problem though, should we really be just knowing better by now? This is what I mean. If we are a community as you say, then why don't the developers ask us? Yes, we got Pets and it was better than Pets 2. The thing is; we're paying for these games with money we work hard for, shouldn't we expect and want things?
  • drowssapdrowssap Posts: 2,007 Member
    edited October 2011

Do you want me to answer that with the blunt truth... or with something you'd like to hear? If something you'd like to hear, stop reading right now and post a reply saying you'd prefer that.

The blunt truth? Yes, it actually is our fault. We, as a community, demanded Pets, demanded it be better than Sims 2, and basically wanted EA to improve it in every way they could. Well, we as the community forgot something: That, in turn, means a much more massive jump in requirements in Sims 3 for Pets than it did in Sims 2. EA, seeing how much money they could make by caving in to our demands, did exactly what we wanted. Now we're paying the price, and it's steeper than we imagined.

Quite likely, if the demand had never been there, Pets wouldn't have been made as it was. But, the demand was there. The wants were there. The requests were there. And EA, seeing a potential for profit, tried to make it happen. Thus comes our current issues.

well your talking about pets, but what about the update that came with it. im only running base game on my laptop and it has been running perfectly fine. but soon as they released pets and the update my sims graphics have become unbearable.

now i purchased the game working and my laptop is quite capable of running it. i should be able to have confidence that they will not suddenly decide to stop supporting certain graphics. or they should atleest include a warning about this with the update.

im now about to uninstall...reinstall ...and look in the interent for the last working update. which i shouldn't have to do
    edited October 2011

Please don't take this as an attack, but actually money IS the excuse, at least for me. So I'm sure it is for other people. I use all my money on college bills, electric bills, phone bills, and rent. I barely have any money left for food, let alone enough to go buy a new graphics card (not that I have any issues). I was lucky I got Pets as a present, because there would be no way for me to afford it otherwise. So please, kindly, the many of us who just can't afford things like that would appreciate it if you didn't belittle our financial trouble.
  • Scarlett716Scarlett716 Posts: 251 Member
    edited October 2011
    Can we just end the whole argument here? This has already gotten out of hand and people are at eachother's throat it seems. Im sorry the Polekitty can't enjoy the game and there isn't too much we can do about it. I'm going to make an kitty in honor of Polekitty and in the hopes that perhaps her problem can be resolved. :)
    edited October 2011

Considering you're playing a video game and chatting online about it... sorry, the money issue isn't going to fly with me. If I can scrape together enough on unemployment and student grants to get my computer working again with really expensive parts, people who actually still have jobs in this economy have even less excuse.

Also, some of the AlienWare laptops are not compatible with Pets.

See, it also depends on where abouts you live in the world and if you're scraping.. really? Scraping doesn't say something to you? Money is always an issue. It depends what you're money has to go towards other than yourself.
  • victorlatortvictorlatort Posts: 116
    edited October 2011
    Wow seriously everyone? smh
    This is childish

Anyways on topic I have to agree
    My game has been going extremely slow lately
    Not so much crashing though
    edited October 2011
    Can we just end the whole argument here? This has already gotten out of hand and people are at eachother's throat it seems. Im sorry the Polekitty can't enjoy the game and there isn't too much we can do about it. I'm going to make an kitty in honor of Polekitty and in the hopes that perhaps her problem can be resolved. :)

This is my favorite post. I'm gonna make a kitty in honour of Polekitty, too. :)
  • Halle_MHalle_M Posts: 6,539 Member
    edited October 2011
    Let's say I bought a Volkswagon Beetle. Now, let's say I started taking that Volkswagon Beetle offroading, and then, when it inevitably got stuck, I went on the Volkswagon forum, and started complaining that my car wouldn't drive amphibiously across a river.

It's not "rude" for someone on that forum to then tell me I made a "mistake" buying that model of car, when what I really need was a Jeep or a Humvee.

edited October 2011
    Halle_M wrote:
    Let's say I bought a Volkswagon Beetle. Now, let's say I started taking that Volkswagon Beetle offroading, and then, when it inevitably got stuck, I went on the Volkswagon forum, and started complaining that my car wouldn't drive amphibiously across a river.

It's not "rude" for someone on that forum to then tell me I made a "mistake" buying that model of car, when what I really need was a Jeep or a Humvee.

I'm not going to argue with you so you can continue on with that. The fact is simple; Not everyone has the money to keep upgrading because of financial reasons. Buying whatever she wanted wasn't a mistake, you do as you feel. Just like you're doing as you feel. The developers should be more considerate of their gamers and how the economy is. Not just about how deep their pockets can go.
  • PixelRainbowPixelRainbow Posts: 865 Member
    edited October 2011
    I think EA have actually been pretty good, I haven't need to change my graphics and I've been playing on the same computer I had for Sims 2. So at least they don't make us change graphic cards all the time, I'd rather get a new graphic card and play the game in full, then them making a rubbish run down game for everyone to use.
    I need a new graphic card, but just going to get one when I can aha
    edited October 2011
    Um, also just to add-- there's a list of graphics cards on the back of the Pets disc box of which ones do and don't work. And yet some of those EXACT cards listed are ones I've seen people saying are not working... So that's not their fault if the box specifically says their card WILL work..
  • emakav2emakav2 Posts: 122
    edited October 2011
    I have a Sony laptop. It plays everything and the graphics are fantabuluous for every game I've played. My older Sony laptop I gave to a family member when I got my new one, and it's still going strong and playing every game they play perfectly.

I have no point: just that Sony laptops are fan-dabby-dozy when it comes to gaming. Enjoy your argument!
  • XxDespairAngelxXXxDespairAngelxX Posts: 144 Member
    edited October 2011
    I run Sims 3 on my laptop and I'm experiencing the crashes as well =(. I was already thinking about upgrading to a desktop but I think this whole crashing thing is pushing me a little farther. But before I do this huge purchase I want to make sure that it is a problem with my laptop and not the game.

Soo...(here goes a stupid question) how in the world do I check the specs on my laptop?

And I totally feel your pain polekitty. This crashing thing is not fun at all.
    Gallery: minimeg1718
    edited October 2011
    emakav2 wrote:
    I have a Sony laptop. It plays everything and the graphics are fantabuluous for every game I've played. My older Sony laptop I gave to a family member when I got my new one, and it's still going strong and playing every game they play perfectly.

I have no point: just that Sony laptops are fan-dabby-dozy when it comes to gaming. Enjoy your argument!

LOL, Sony's laptops are awesome, aren't they? I actually have an Acer laptop with crappier graphics and it runs Sims 3 well. Not as awesome as my desktop but still.