Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Getting quite annoying now...

I just wanted to take this opportunity to vent my frustration about the 'graphic card' debate. I love The Sims, but I won't be buying another game. I bought my laptop just over a year ago and I bought it especially for The Sims 3 as my last one didn't have a very good graphics card.

I recently bought The Sims 3 pets and it plays really nicely except it keeps crashing. Using the Crash Log Analyser, I've managed to look at the crash logs and it says it's crashing due to 'Insufficient Graphics Capability' and advises that I get my card checked for instability or upgrade it, which I'm sure you realise isn't often possible with a laptop.

I just wanted to say that I am FED UP with EA. Why do you have to change something that has worked all along? Why increase the graphics if you know it will make some people (loyal customers) unable to play because they cant afford to upgrade or buy a new laptop. Even if they could, are they supposed to buy a new one every time you bring out a new game?

I really hope the crash log is wrong and that the next patch (by the way, when is that actually coming?) fixes it because I can see a lot of unhappy customers jumping ship otherwise, me included. Such a shame too because I love The Sims but I just don't have the money to throw away.

Comments

• Joel2810Joel2810 Posts: 989 Member
    edited October 2011
    Agreed 102%
  • juggyjonesjuggyjones Posts: 243 Member
    edited October 2011
    Polekitty wrote:
    I just wanted to take this opportunity to vent my frustration about the 'graphic card' debate. I love The Sims, but I won't be buying another game. I bought my laptop just over a year ago and I bought it especially for The Sims 3 as my last one didn't have a very good graphics card.

I recently bought The Sims 3 pets and it plays really nicely except it keeps crashing. Using the Crash Log Analyser, I've managed to look at the crash logs and it says it's crashing due to 'Insufficient Graphics Capability' and advises that I get my card checked for instability or upgrade it, which I'm sure you realise isn't often possible with a laptop.

I just wanted to say that I am FED UP with EA. Why do you have to change something that has worked all along? Why increase the graphics if you know it will make some people (loyal customers) unable to play because they cant afford to upgrade or buy a new laptop. Even if they could, are they supposed to buy a new one every time you bring out a new game?

I really hope the crash log is wrong and that the next patch (by the way, when is that actually coming?) fixes it because I can see a lot of unhappy customers jumping ship otherwise, me included. Such a shame too because I love The Sims but I just don't have the money to throw away.

To be honest, your first mistake was buying a laptop, especially if you knew beforehand that upgrading its graphics card wasn't quite possible.

Graphics cards get outdated, especially as new games come out. And EA probably "changed" their graphics because up until now, they've only been creating people, not animals.

I used to play my Sims 2 games on my laptop, and the realized that wasn't going to cut it, so I bought a desktop to play them on. Size then, I've been playing the Sims 3 and all it's expansion packs on my desktop and have only upgraded my hardware once.
    Origin Username: ndegrassi
  • EsotericDibEsotericDib Posts: 51 New Member
    edited October 2011
    juggyjones wrote:
    Polekitty wrote:

To be honest, your first mistake was buying a laptop, especially if you knew beforehand that upgrading its graphics card wasn't quite possible.

Graphics cards get outdated, especially as new games come out. And EA probably "changed" their graphics because up until now, they've only been creating people, not animals.

I used to play my Sims 2 games on my laptop, and the realized that wasn't going to cut it, so I bought a desktop to play them on. Size then, I've been playing the Sims 3 and all it's expansion packs on my desktop and have only upgraded my hardware once.

Juggyjones, hun; you really don't have to be rude about it. Everyone has the right to vent their frustration. Her first mistake wasn't buying a laptop. It's not a mistake at all. Not everyone has the money to dish out to constantly upgrade systems, they want to be able to play the game and have fun. I'm not saying the developers don't have the right to upgrade their system on Sims but there is a line, at least let your customers know before the game even comes out that the graphics will need to be upgraded or make a simple patch to convert the quality down to help other gamers out. There are many things EA themselves can do, it shouldn't only depend on the gamers. They have the power but I honestly think the problem is they have too much of it.

The fact is; people need to stop bending to the developer's will.. yes sometimes there are things that cannot be helped but really; games are getting more and more messed up because gamers are just accepting everything as is and not questioning it. Nor are they even putting up a fight. It's really sad how we pay for games and get almost nothing we expect now. Of coursel I can't say this for all developers considering there are many doing bang up amazing jobs on some video games. It seems with all of the cash flow coming in for EA; they seem to be forgetting their core gamers. They seem to just keep dishing out games and know that gamers will buy it because.. well, naturally we consume.

It's nice to see someone not sucking up to the developers, because some gamers get too scared and can't think for themselves or follow others blindly. It's always nice to see different opinions.

Leave people to their opinions and stop being rude about it.
  • Scarlett716Scarlett716 Posts: 251 Member
    edited October 2011
    I didn't really think he said it in an rude way compared to some people on these forums. He didn't call her stupid or anything just saying what his opinion was on the issue as well. Sorry to hear that you are fed up on EA Polekitty. I really wish you could enjoy the game as much as I do. :(
    edited October 2011
    I didn't really think he said it in an rude way compared to some people on these forums. He didn't call her stupid or anything just saying what his opinion was on the issue as well. Sorry to hear that you are fed up on EA Polekitty. I really wish you could enjoy the game as much as I do. :(

I can understand completely. It is rude in a sense though.. it's still lippy.

"Your first mistake was..."

Considering Polekitty never made a "mistake" by buying a laptop when she could play it before but not well. Maybe she has a preference for laptops? Who knows? But why Judge like that?

I do like Pets, I just feel bad because I know how Polekitty feels. Not too long ago I too had a terrible computer, it was a desktop computer. It took me a long while to save up the money to buy it considering the costs going up of daily items, you know necessities. You can't really help life and sometimes it'd be nice if the developers factored that in when they think of their gamers..
  • albaniealbanie Posts: 584 Member
    edited October 2011
    I agree. I don't get why people say it's the gamers fault just because they bought a certain laptop or PC. Hardware costs money, something most of us don't have these days.
    You never forget the face of the person who was your last hope - The Hunger Games.
    Banana! - Minions
  • Halle_MHalle_M Posts: 6,539 Member
    edited October 2011

There was absolutely nothing rude about what she said.
    edited October 2011
    Halle_M wrote:

Really? Telling someone they've made a mistake when they clearly haven't isn't wrong?
    edited October 2011
    Halle_M wrote:

Really? Telling someone they've made a mistake when they clearly haven't isn't wrong?

Trying to play this game on a laptop that is not up to specs IS wrong. Would you rather we lie?
  • Scarlett716Scarlett716 Posts: 251 Member
    edited October 2011
    I believe Juggyjones made an few good points, the whole "mistake" thing is arguable. Perhaps he could have put it in an nicer way I guess but it still wasn't that bad.
    Anyways, I really don't want to get into an debate about this.
    edited October 2011
    Halle_M wrote:
    Halle_M wrote:

Trying to play this game on a laptop that is not up to specs IS wrong. Would you rather we lie?

There is a way about that, it can be said differently.

rude (ruːd)
    —adj
    1. insulting or uncivil; discourteous; impolite: he was rude about her hairstyle
    2. lacking refinement; coarse or uncouth
    3. vulgar or obscene: a rude joke
    4. unexpected and unpleasant: a rude awakening to the facts of economic life
    5. roughly or crudely made: we made a rude shelter on the island
    6. rough or harsh in sound, appearance, or behaviour
    7. humble or lowly
    8. (prenominal) robust or sturdy: in rude health
    9. (prenominal) approximate or imprecise: a rude estimate

One and six seem to apply to that little comment.
    edited October 2011
    I believe Juggyjones made an few good points, the whole "mistake" thing is arguable. Perhaps he could have put it in an nicer way I guess but it still wasn't that bad.
    Anyways, I really don't want to get into an debate about this.
    She did make a few points, I never said she didn't but the fact remains; it could've been said in a different manner. It's not a matter of if it wasn't that bad, it's the fact that it was said that way at all when it really could've just been about stating facts.
    edited October 2011
    So, you don't like the word "mistake." What would you prefer? "Mishap?" "Bad decision?" "Poor Judgment?" "Uninformed Choice?"
  • alyxbugalyxbug Posts: 27
    edited October 2011
    Tbh, EsotericDib, you're being just as 'rude' as she was...

Everyone has a right to voice there own opinions people just need to stop making a fuss about it :lol:

Anyways, I am sorry you can properly enjoy your game :\ In my experience, laptops are really not gaming computers especially for a game as big as the Sims.
    edited October 2011
    Halle_M wrote:
    So, you don't like the word "mistake." What would you prefer? "Mishap?" "Bad decision?" "Poor Judgment?" "Uninformed Choice?"
    See, there was no "Mishap", "Bad decision", "Poor Judgment", "Uninformed Choice" about it. It worked for her and now that Pets has arrived, because of Sims upgrading their graphics; it crashes on her. If it worked before it seems that really it shouldn't only be the gamers fault.
    edited October 2011
    alyxbug wrote:
    Tbh, EsotericDib, you're being just as 'rude' as she was...

Everyone has a right to voice there own opinions people just need to stop making a fuss about it :lol:

Anyways, I am sorry you can properly enjoy your game :\ In my experience, laptops are really not gaming computers especially for a game as big as the Sims.

Am I being just as rude? Everyone has the right to their opinion. I've just stated she should have worded it differently instead of making it seem as if it was harsh.
  • drowssapdrowssap Posts: 2,007 Member
    edited October 2011
    Polekitty wrote:

agreed :!:
  • alyxbugalyxbug Posts: 27
    edited October 2011
    Am I being just as rude? Everyone has the right to their opinion. I've just stated she should have worded it differently instead of making it seem as if it was harsh.

You're having a go at the poor girl just because she worded a sentence badly? It is kinda rude and harsh.

What I don't get is that people really think EA are going to stick at the same graphics level for ever? Every game company improves it's graphics by each game. What do you expect? :lol:
  • TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited October 2011
    I can understand completely. It is rude in a sense though.. it's still lippy.

"Your first mistake was..."

Considering Polekitty never made a "mistake" by buying a laptop when she could play it before but not well. Maybe she has a preference for laptops? Who knows? But why Judge like that?

I do like Pets, I just feel bad because I know how Polekitty feels. Not too long ago I too had a terrible computer, it was a desktop computer. It took me a long while to save up the money to buy it considering the costs going up of daily items, you know necessities. You can't really help life and sometimes it'd be nice if the developers factored that in when they think of their gamers..

Actually... Polekitty made a mistake, and a pretty huge one at that. She made a mistake that is actually covered in a number of introductory computer classes these days as something you don't do.

What was that mistake? Buying a laptop for any game where you may have to at some point upgrade your hardware to play the game. This is... basically any game that still uses expansion packs of some sort, which pretty much means all of the big ones. A game like Angry Birds is fine on a laptop; Sims 3, World of Warcraft, and a few others are "only if you stole the laptop from a military computer development lab" for those. In other words, don't do it.

And, to be honest, the word "mistake" isn't rude. It indicates an error in judgement, which is exactly what happens, while leaving it possible the error in judgement was made with a lack of information, which is likely what happened. It does not indicate that the person who made the mistake is incapable of making proper decisions; in fact, it often indicates that the person made the proper judgement with the information they had at hand, but it was still the wrong decision thanks to what they didn't know.

Now, if the words "serious lapse in judgement" had been uttered... that would have been rude, as that indicates a case where a person had no reason to have made the error to begin with.

Accidentally cutting a letter with a letter opener thanks to it being put in the envelope weirdly? Mistake. Chopping someone's hand off with a chainsaw? Serious lapse in judgement.
  • PrincessTink384PrincessTink384 Posts: 611 Member
    edited October 2011
    okay from what i see it is now OUR fault that the graphics decided to be upgraded. had alot of know that we would probably have never boughten the game. i unstalled pets because i got so frustrated and now my game is fine so now i know's pets. some of us can't afford new graphics card because alot of people are having trouble finding jobs and such and have other things to think about. why should we have to update our pc's/laptops ? they aren't the ones paying for it we are and i can't really afford it right now
  • KikionparasKikionparas Posts: 1,313 Member
    edited October 2011
    ^ I thought EsotericDib was MORE rude than JuggyJones o.O

I seriously don't think the original message was rude at all, but I do think that the reply is more than a little bit rude.
  • tigerlily319tigerlily319 Posts: 559 New Member
    edited October 2011
    Well, I don't want to get involved in the heated arguments going on in this thread.. But I just wanted to share that I have a two year old laptop, and it works perfect with Sims 3, expansions and all. Of course I've had a glitch here and there, but nothing the patches didn't fix. I really don't want to fight or contribute negatively. I'm just saying. *hides*
    edited October 2011
    alyxbug wrote:

You're having a go at the poor girl just because she worded a sentence badly? It is kinda rude and harsh.

What I don't get is that people really think EA are going to stick at the same graphics level for ever? Every game company improves it's graphics by each game. What do you expect? :lol:

It's funny how it gets turned around isn't it? What about when she had a go at Polekitty? I was stating a fact, mine wasn't any more rude or rude at all. I simply said everyone has the right to their opinions. I didn't say she didn't have any right to say anything.

That's not what was said, EA can do whatever they please but it'd be nice if they actually took into account a lot of their gamers aren't rich.
    edited October 2011
    ^ I thought EsotericDib was MORE rude than JuggyJones o.O

I seriously don't think the original message was rude at all, but I do think that the reply is more than a little bit rude.

It really wasn't, it really seems that people don't understand what the word rude means anymore.
  • tigerlily319tigerlily319 Posts: 559 New Member
    edited October 2011
    okay from what i see it is now OUR fault that the graphics decided to be upgraded. had alot of know that we would probably have never boughten the game. i unstalled pets because i got so frustrated and now my game is fine so now i know's pets. some of us can't afford new graphics card because alot of people are having trouble finding jobs and such and have other things to think about. why should we have to update our pc's/laptops ? they aren't the ones paying for it we are and i can't really afford it right now

I agree. Like I said earlier, my laptop has worked great with Sims. But if all of a sudden the DEVELOPER comes out with a new expansion or game that ORIGINALLY worked fine on my computer, than I would expect the new one to, also. So I agree that it's not fair the we, the consumers, have to spend hundreds of dollars to keep up with a $40 game (which in and of itself is a little pricy). I'm a college student and have loans and bills and rent to pay. I can't go throwing money around so I can play a game that's always previously worked fine for me!