Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Move a whole house

LinaLina Posts: 5 New Member
I would like to be able to move a whole house by just marking it and then drag. It has happened so many times now when I build a house that I realize, when it is almost done, that it would fit much better on another place on the lawn and then I have to rebuild the whole thing. I can't imagine that it would be very hard to put this option in the game. Please EA solve this problem for me!

Comments

• DaehloenaDaehloena Posts: 166 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Do you mean picking it up an relocating it? Because you can already do that in edit town by moving a house (occupied or empty) to an equal or larger-sized lot.
  • smaragdasksmaragdask Posts: 2 New Member
    edited July 2009
    to move in an other house you have to go to the computer and press move.then a board is open.you press at the sims you want to move to an other house and after you press the icon with an arrow.do it again if you want to move an other on sim. :)i hope you understand what i said!sorry if i do a spelling mistake i don't know very good english but the only i want is to help you!!!!
  • LinaLina Posts: 5 New Member
    edited July 2009
    No that is not what I meant. What I mean is I want to able to move a house around on the lot where it was built. Just move it e.g. three squares to the left/right.
    edited July 2009
    Like, a tool with which you can select several things (furniture, walls, foundation, doors, windows, etc.) by clicking them or drag a square around them and then you can move all of these things together like one by dragging them around on the lot with your mouse.
  • ChocolotiChocoloti Posts: 328 New Member
    edited July 2009
    This might get tricky in normal buy/ build mode. I'm imagining the trouble I'd have if I accidentally do this when I mean not to. But if it was an additional cheat code, like we have the moveobjects on and off, the constrainfloorelevation false/ true, if we had a movehouseonlot on and movehouseonlot off cheat it would work.
    edited July 2009
    Chocoloti wrote:
    This might get tricky in normal buy/ build mode. I'm imagining the trouble I'd have if I accidentally do this when I mean not to. But if it was an additional cheat code, like we have the moveobjects on and off, the constrainfloorelevation false/ true, if we had a movehouseonlot on and movehouseonlot off cheat it would work.

But if it is a tool that you have to choose to use then you can't do it by accident, and even if you for some reason did it by accident anyway, you just press the "undo-button" like you do with everything else you build.
  • keesoonkeesoon Posts: 1 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Hey did you ever find out how to move a house on the existing lot?
  • simsjew613simsjew613 Posts: 62 New Member
    edited August 2009
    This is a cool idea. I don't really build the houses, i usually just use the pre-made houses, but this sounds like a good idea.
  • ToppenzapToppenzap Posts: 773 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I don't make houses very often, but this tool would have been perfect for my legacy house, as well as a lot of my other families' homes. Even some premade lots/homes placed on lots could use this.
  • byronh29byronh29 Posts: 182 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I completely agree. When you put a house originally built for a smaller lot on a huge lot, it's annoying to have to have such a long pathway from the road to the house entrance. It would be great if we could just shift the whole house forward.
  • YoGiFiEdYoGiFiEd Posts: 1 New Member
    edited June 2010
    thatz a house tool i've been wanting for ages lol im not a fan of long driveways XD it'd make things alot easier with pre-made or customised houses moving onto bigger lots. We need more options when placing a house than just the rotation tool :)
  • Hintomint82Hintomint82 Posts: 462 Member
    edited June 2010
    A tool like this would be nice for when you set a small house on a really large lot. The game automatically centers those houses, but I like to have them up against the sidewalk without faking it by extending the walk/driveway.
  • LolzersLolzers Posts: 819 New Member
    edited June 2010
    YES.
    I want this so badly! It would make building infinitely easier!
  • lissxlissx Posts: 6
    edited June 2010
    Has anyone found out if there is a cheat to do this? I built a really large house and it's too close to the side walk so I want to move it a couple spaces back. If I have to rebuild the entire house... I will cry
  • TiumiTiumi Posts: 545 New Member
    edited June 2010
    No cheat, that I am aware of.

I suggested something like this awhile ago:

Build Mode Ideas: Link and Select tools

I would absolutely love to be able to do this with my houses.

Edit: By the way, I was SIMply_Divine. Until this site decided to reject my email and pass. I had to create a new account. Support came through for me, as well as a EAUK Admin I spoke with on the UK sims 3 site. (just in case you all thought "why have you linked someone else's thread??") :lol:

Anyway, I've wanted this for a long time, I really hope they implement this at some point.
  • Candi_DylaCandi_Dyla Posts: 777 New Member
    edited June 2010
    Yes! This would be sooo helpful!
  • coder0xffcoder0xff Posts: 1
    edited February 2011
    I think this idea deserves a bump! My sim got rich, and now she wants a bigger house lol.
  • Saide7Saide7 Posts: 1,070 Member
    edited February 2011
    Also helpful would be like ReSizeLot....

so, if you already have a build going, but need the lot just a little larger, or even smaller, you could do this.
  • FlinxFlinx Posts: 4 New Member
    edited July 2011
    Here's another request for this ability. I just spent a full day working on a house, only to realize it is too close to the sidewalk for a circular driveway. Being able to shift my 3 story house + basement back x number of spaces would be great. Rebuilding it, a nightmare! Instead, I'll probably just bulldoze and build a different house altogether. :(
  • PsychoChick966PsychoChick966 Posts: 1,792 Member
    edited July 2011
    I use pre-built houses myself, so I'm not sure, but couldn't you move a house by saving a copy of it, bulldozing the lot, then replacing the house where you want it?....or does the game always put the houses on the lots a certain way anyway?
  • Saide7Saide7 Posts: 1,070 Member
    edited July 2011
    Unfortunately, the house/building remains oriented on the lot as it was built.

The only placement option available is rotating the entire lot when first placing a lot from the bin, i.e the direction it faces relative to the road. However, this has no bearing on where the house/building is oriented in the lot itself.
  • PsychoChick966PsychoChick966 Posts: 1,792 Member
    edited July 2011
    Ahhh, okay. Now that you mention it, I can recall being frustrated with trying to place a pre-made house or two because I didn't like where it sat. I never even thought to try to move it.

I would think a tool like you all are suggesting would be a VERY popular thing. I hope EA makes it so!
  • SuceressSuceress Posts: 1,679 Member
    edited July 2011
    I love this idea. We already have the ability to move walls sort of (if nothing is in their way or resting up against them). I suggested this a loooong time ago in a thread that I can no longer find. It was in something about build mode suggestions.

My proposition was that we have a tool that lets us select objects to group together and link them and have the ability to "move as a group" or "move as a whole". We could either select a specific tool (such as a Group Selection Tool) and drag click around things (and we could have an option to deselect certain things individually if we don't want them to be part of it).

Perhaps there could be checkmarks within the tool to select walls (or not select walls), select floors (or not). This way we could select just a group of objects that we want to keep together as a set (like the layout of a bathroom but we don't want to move every piece individually to a new spot (yet don't want to move the floors or walls).

The ability to select and move the entire house while in build mode would be excellent. Often I build and realize I messed up and put something off center bc I counted the grid tiles incorrectly, and I just want to pick it up and move it.

This idea would work well if people wanted the option to save the whole house as a unit and make it so that it could be placed on smaller lots (so long as the lots are large enough to fit all of the objects selected.

I really wish we had the ability to downsize lots when we have a normal sized or small house on a huge lot and don't want to have to rebuild the same house on a small lot. Perhaps we could select parts of the lot that we want to keep as well.

I hope that made sense.
  • s0ulsisters0ulsister Posts: 12
    edited October 2011
    I vote for either Lot Resize or Move The Whole House, option or cheat. Where do I sign?
  • reecehammondreecehammond Posts: 683
    edited October 2011
    i agree
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top