Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Petition for EA to release the "Create-A-World -- BETA" tool on the Mac platform.

Comments

• PurpleAmharicBunaPurpleAmharicBuna Posts: 624 New Member
    edited August 2011
    I don't think I've signed this yet... I'm sick of this pure neglect towards out platform.
  • ElvaerwynElvaerwyn Posts: 757
    edited August 2011
    I am a pc user but I will sign gladly as noone should be discriminated against using all that's available to them on a game they bought in good faith. Elvaerwyn. Signed.
  • AlexRoz9AlexRoz9 Posts: 309 New Member
    edited August 2011
    PLEASE SEARCH BEFORE YOU POST "SIGNED," SEE THIS POST FOR ADDITIONAL DETAILS
    Petition Signatures 601 and above; see page one for signatures 1-600:

701. Tammyspeas
    702. B1brittany
    703. SamanthaSto
    704. ValerieAnsman
    705. Misseureka
    706. Serbean
    707. PurpleAmharicBuna
    708. Elvaerwyn
    Does the OP still update this? It looks like he hasn't been around since March.
    Yes, I'm still active here and I still update this thread. :) I've been a bit busy lately, which is whyit's taken me awhile to get to this update, so my apologies to everyone for the delay. I should add that used to update this thread far more frequently when it had several new signatures per day, back when it was in the Mac forum. If I saw a significant increase in signatures, I would begin updating it frequently again.
    bunbunnyny wrote:
    Please note that I am a PC USER, NOT A MAC USER. I am also NOT SIGNING AT THE MOMENT, BUT I MAY STILL SIGN IN THE FUTURE.

I'd just like somebody to answer these questions:
    Per your request, I have not added you to the signatures list. Also, I'd be more then happy to answer your questions.
    bunbunnyny wrote:
    1) Which is allowed to do install and use more programs - PC or Mac? I honestly don't know.
    The answer to this question really depends on how you look at things. If we're talking about evenly matched "stock" Win/Mac computers purchased at retail, then the answer is both/neither. Both Win/Mac systems have a similar amount of exclusive and cross–platform software; both also have suitable alternatives for a good deal of that exclusive software. Since, "do," "install," and "use" are really three different things, I'll break them down individually below.

Do more: I could say that the answer to this depends on what you want to do. For professional audio, video, and photography, there are more programs of higher quality available for Mac OS X then for Windows. For professional accounting, there are more tools available for Windows. Scientific research is another story as well. Most researchers work inside of a client–server paradigm; the "client" machines that the researchers use generally tend to be Macs. The "server" machines on the other hand usually run Linux, and those servers are usually rack–mounted systems that are either built from scratch or that have the word "DELL" stamped across them. OS X is a Unix–based operating system, just like Linux, and that's why Macs are used with Linux–based servers. As I noted above though, for general usage, Win/Mac computers are evenly matched. Computers with multiple operating systems are a bit different, as noted below.

If you're also asking about installing multiple operating systems, then legally, the Mac can do more. You can install Windows on a Mac through Boot Camp. Boot Camp is not emulation/virtualization software; it's actual Windows running on a Mac, just as it would run on a box with the "Dell" or "HP" logo slapped on it. This means that while you can run all of your Windows software on the Mac, you're also exposed to every piece of Windows malware as well, including viruses and spyware. You need to purchase Windows in order to use Boot Camp though; all Boot Camp does is configure the Mac to run Windows on the Windows partition it creates. The actual Windows software needs to come from Microsoft. Most current Macs will run Boot Camp/Windows; Mac Pros with the Mac Pro RAID card will not run Boot Camp, because Apple did not create Windows drivers for the aforementioned RAID card. As a general rule of thumb, I always tell people that "if you don't know what the Mac Pro RAID card is or what it does, you don't have one." It's an obscure part, and I'm one of the few people who actually uses one. You can also legally install Linux on a Mac, so it's possible to have three operating systems legally installed on a Mac, which obviously increases what one can do with a Mac. It is not legally possible to install OS X on anything but a Mac. Although it's technically possible to install OS X on a Windows machine, the installations are spotty at best, and a point upgrade (e.g. from 10.6.7 to 10.6.8) will frequently render such systems unusable, and certain software may not function properly. These machines, sometimes referred to as "Hackintoshes," are illegal though, as determined in "Apple v. Psystar," and "Psystar v. Apple."

Install more:If we're talking about all code, including unwanted code and code that can harm one's computer, then Windows can certainly install more software then OS X can. Once you remove unwanted/harmful code from both platforms though, they're pretty evenly matched.

Do more: Again, it depends on what you want to do. Windows can do more for people working in the financial industry, the Mac can do more for scientists and creative professionals. For general users, both systems are evenly matched.

2) Are you people even sure that Mac devices can even support the programs that come with Create-a-World? There's a reason why they separate PC games and Mac games in the stores. It's because of the compatibility. The Create-a-World tool we use is simply a modified version of the direct program the creators use to create the official worlds.[/quote]The Sims 3 itself is nothing more then Windows code running inside of a Cider Emulation layer. The same should be possible for Create-A-World; it's the exact same code with a virtualization/emulation layer running on top of the Mac version. Mac devices should be able to support Create-A-World using the same tools that allow them to support TS3 itself.

It would be a different story if EA had actually written a real Mac version of TS3 which they didn't do. Remember, Create-A-Pattern has a Mac version, so there's no reason that Create-A-World shouldn't as well, especially considering that the Mac version of the TS3 software isn't even real Mac software. Keep in mind, I'm not condoning this; Valve managed to write a native Mac version of their Steam distribution system, and manages to release native Mac versions of their games through that distribution system. 2K Games managed to have Aspyr write a native Mac version of Civilization V, and more recently, Duke Nukem Forever. Blizzard writes their own native Mac code for their games and releases WIN/MAC compatible games on the same discs, just like EA does. The difference between Blizzard and EA though is that Blizzard writes native Mac code and EA merely slaps a virtulization/emulation layer on top of Windows code.
    bunbunnyny wrote:
    3) If the creators did attempt make it for Mac, well, it's been 2 years. Unless there is a major obstacle in their preventing them from making it on Mac, it would have been out by now. I'm not saying they're not trying or don't care, I'm just saying, well, don't you think it may be impossible for the Mac? They care about all of their customers! Of course they would want it on Mac!
    I might believe that line of reasoning if EA had actually bothered to address the myriad of other problems that the Mac version of the game has. EA's support for the game itself on the Mac has been outright abysmal, with errors that have gone unpatched since they first began popping up in World Adventures, tech support that gives Windows solutions for Mac problems, and a general attitude of apathy toward their Mac users. Take a peak in the Mac forums and you'll see a string of unresolved problems, a good portion of which are more-than-likely the result of EA virtualizing/emulating TS3 via Cider rather then writing real Mac code.

Beyond that, I and other Mac users paid the same $60 ($40 for the standard edition) dollars for the base game as Windows users; I paid the exact same price as Windows users for each EP and SP as well. When EA released the game on the Mac, they committed to supporting TS3 on the Mac platform, and that means supporting its EPs/SPs and add–ons as well. If some of the code for CAW needed to be modified to run on the Mac, (I can't see why given that they're running everything else inside of a virtulized/emulated Windows environment,) then EA should have modified that code and released a Mac version of CAW. It may have taken them a bit of time, but it's certainly not impossible to do. Entire programs that are far more complex then CAW are written to run with both native Windows and Mac code in a fraction of the time that's elapsed since EA released CAW for Windows.

Finally a message to everyone here: First, thank you for your continued support, and for continuing to sign this. Second, please take a look at the message above in all CAPS. If you are unsure whether or not you've signed this, please do the following:

Look at the first page of this thread, as well as the page where I've posted the most recent signatures. Then, please do the following on each page.

On the Mac:
    1. Hit Command/Apple+F
    2. Type your name (e.g. "AlexRoz9") into the search box
    3. If it appears in the signature list, do not write "signed" a second time; if you do it I have to remove your most recent signature, which slows down the update process.

On the PC/Using Windows:
    1. Hit Control+F
    2. Type your name (e.g. "AlexRoz9") into the search box
    3. If it appears in the signature list, do not write "signed" a second time; if you do it I have to remove your most recent signature, which slows down the update process.

Thank you for understand, and thank you for your continued support for CAW on the Mac. I apologize for the belated update; as I noted above, I've been a bit busy lately. Also, isn't it that much nicer to see 80 new signatures at once? Keep them coming everyone, I appreciate the support from both Mac and Windows users. Also, please see the first post for what should be done if you plan on writing a letter to EA. We need to expand beyond this petition, and letter writing is the next step for those of you who've already signed the petition.
  • dragonloverpdragonloverp Posts: 8
    edited August 2011
    totally signed. i have sims 3 and several expansion packs on my mac, and it works perfectly. no glitches or freezes or crashes at all. my computer is very good. it can handle CAW. i want CAW so badly! it's stupid that we can't get it. also, i am confused. how do you sign? do you have to do something, or just type in "signed"?
  • docwhatdocwhat Posts: 10 New Member
    edited August 2011
    signed
  • SnowyDoveSnowyDove Posts: 46
    edited August 2011
    Consider it signed by me too! :-)
  • taydevtaydev Posts: 912 Member
    edited August 2011
    Signed.

Considering all the Apple/Mac users of the world, I don't know why EA wouldn't consider.
  • WibbleLikeAJellyWibbleLikeAJelly Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited August 2011
    Signed! :D

With all the graphics problems on my PC it would be such a relief to turn to my Mac without having to use Boot Camp...
  • gac4simsgac4sims Posts: 39 New Member
    edited August 2011
    Signed.
    Looking forward to Create-A-World for my MAC.
  • SpazzmoeSpazzmoe Posts: 2
    edited August 2011
    Signed
  • matteochircomatteochirco Posts: 86
    edited August 2011
    Signed!

If EA can release a "Create a Pattern tool" for Windows and Mac, then why can't they do the same thing with CAW tool? Ridiculous!
  • GROOVAKOSGROOVAKOS Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    After all this time and still not for mac! well, ii am bored of playing the Valley now. if they want me to keep on interested in the game they need to let me make my own world.
    SIGNED :(
  • Lennon777Lennon777 Posts: 786 New Member
    edited September 2011
    I sign and don't even have a mac! (It's a very good cause!)
  • LovetheFridgesLovetheFridges Posts: 84 New Member
    edited September 2011
    Signed
  • cutie9676cutie9676 Posts: 135 New Member
    edited September 2011
    signed
  • thesim53thesim53 Posts: 246 New Member
    edited September 2011
    signed
  • ambermvrambermvr Posts: 10 New Member
    edited September 2011
    I can see why you're all upset, but honestly, you're not missing out on anything. I have a pc, and have had nothing but trouble with create a world. It didn't even work most of the time before, and now it seems like it isn't compatible with the latest patch, unless you put down the 40 dollars to buy generations, even if you didn't want generations at all. I say "it seems" because EA doesn't offer any support for it. I have never played a game with so many problems. I love the game when it works, but the bugs and problems are so bad. I don't know why there hasn't been a major exodus from EA. Really, I think the shoddiness of the product shows a major lack of respect for their customers, both mac and pc.
  • David654321David654321 Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    1. AlexRoz9
    2. Foxrafer
    3. xoxleslie
    4. Maikenvv
    5.jlwatkins1848
    6.niclovesdima
    7: VexingQuery
    8. Tabloid Tally
    9. MusicGirl1233
    10. Andeavor
    11. Ldocampo
    12.David654321

I want create a world tool to...
  • southparkfan421southparkfan421 Posts: 2
    edited September 2011
    I'll sign it.
  • xavierschmitxavierschmit Posts: 5
    edited September 2011
    Signed!

Any SimCity enthusiast must love s.th like that, especially since SimCity3000 works really badly on the new Intel Macs...
  • nancydrew132nancydrew132 Posts: 1 New Member
    edited September 2011
    signed
  • sim3_cf_luva594sim3_cf_luva594 Posts: 200 New Member
    edited September 2011
    Signed. I will most likely be getting a mac for college and I would like to be able to use CAW if I choose.
  • edited September 2011
    SIGNED. This really freaking sucks >_<
  • BananafootBananafoot Posts: 4
    edited September 2011
    Signed. I really am so depressed to finally get a Mac, buy the games, and be so limited in the creation of my Sims world...
  • kaosgirl00kaosgirl00 Posts: 74 New Member
    edited September 2011
    Signed. Tired of getting screwed over.