Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Caw FAQ's........Links to Tutorials, and Resources. Textures, & Troubleshooting

Comments

• soccergirl1996soccergirl1996 Posts: 382
    edited September 2011
    When I click on Edit in Game all it does is bring up the sims3 launcher :!: How can I fix this so I can build some houses.

THanks
    I looked through some tutorials but could find any that would help.
  • auntielyndsauntielynds Posts: 3,071 Member
    edited September 2011
    Hi Soccer Girl!

The EIG issue is from not having Generations, sigh. Zaide_chris, at MTS made this nifty little gizmo, you just download, unzip, and leave it on your desktop. Save your world, exit Caw, then go and drag, and drop your .world file onto the EIG icon. EIG automatically opens up your world. You do your normal work, then save, and the quit. Once you open Caw back up, all your changes should be there. :D
    Batch file to easily open EIG

You'll find your .world file here;
    Documents
    Electronic Arts
    Sims 3 Create a World
    UserToolData
    Worlds
  • bunbunnynybunbunnyny Posts: 3,678 Member
    edited September 2011
    I really hate to bother you about a small thing like this, but I noticed that you've wrote, "Making a Resetting Trap in 10 Easy Steps by glen416" all as one link, including " by glen416, and didn't say where he typed it.

I also noticed that you wrote "How to Create a Countdown Timer for Your Tombs)". With the added ")" at the end.

I'm sorry if I'm just being a bother for pointing that out, but I just wanted to... well, point it out.

Oh, also, I have an issue with CAW completely crashing (the error then close CAW kind of crash, not "Computer must Reset" kind of crash.) whenever I exit EIG. Could this be because I don't have TL? Or do I need to update it?
    edited September 2011
    bunbunnyny wrote:
    I really hate to bother you about a small thing like this, but I noticed that you've wrote, "Making a Resetting Trap in 10 Easy Steps by glen416" all as one link, including " by glen416, and didn't say where he typed it.

I also noticed that you wrote "How to Create a Countdown Timer for Your Tombs)". With the added ")" at the end.

I'm sorry if I'm just being a bother for pointing that out, but I just wanted to... well, point it out.

Well, how in the heck did I do that? :lol:

I'll fix it. :D

bunbunnyny wrote:
    Oh, also, I have an issue with CAW completely crashing (the error then close CAW kind of crash, not "Computer must Reset" kind of crash.) whenever I exit EIG. Could this be because I don't have TL? Or do I need to update it?

:?: Tell me a little more;
    Do you have Gen?
    How much ram do you have?
    Do you run LAA?
    Have you tried using the EIG batch file thingy?
    When it crashes, can you reopen the world in caw?
    What version of caw are you running?
    You can find the version number here:
    35nc39c.jpg

• SimLibbySimLibby Posts: 668 Member
    edited September 2011
    No problem to post your stuff at TS3CC.

For now, I'll link up your tutorials here, and at TS3CC.

Hi auntielynds,

Thank you very much. I do want to mention that I think that 'my' caw library has similar links in it than your library. Often when I look for specific caw related information I come across a lot of other information that I find helpful/interesting. If that happens I include those topics (links) in my library. And since we are traveling in the same circels, I would not be suprised if we have a lot of the same links in our library. If possible I do include Dutch topics (links) in my library.
    We actually have several Dutch members. One member, Meresimp, is a moderator at a Dutch forum you might be interested in also. Sims Net She is on another Dutch forum she belongs to, but I don't know the name, I can find out though.

SimsNet seems to be a Danish site. If you could find out about the other forum, that would be great. Thank you.
    If you'd like I can even get you a subforum for all your Dutch tutorials there. We could put it right under Resources Listings

http://builders.forumotion.net/f35-caw-library

Let me know what you'd like to do.

You give me more than I asked for and expected. This sounds really exciting and a litte bit scary too. If I decide to take you up on your offer, does this come with certain expectations? Because making tutorials is something I would like to do but I don't like this to be an obligation. That takes away the fun for me. I'am thinking about translating some tutorials into Dutch, like you're tutorials, if that's oke with you. I do make tutorials with my own personal touch, afcourse, but I always give credit and list the source of my information so people can check it for themselfs if they want to.
    However, you'd probably get more of a response from the Dutch Sim Community in an established Dutch forum.

No, I get not that much response from the Dutch forum. Mayby in the near future. My main topic has some regular guests but that seems to be it. And I know (believe) that there are also a lot of Dutch caw'sters. So where are they? Proberly here or on other sites or they are to busy building in CAW so they can't be botherd with anything else. At the moment the Dutch forum is nothing like here, hence my request to you in my previous message. Here there is a whole caw community within the sims community. I like that very much. So mayby I'am gone hang out here a little bit more.

Greetings,
    Libby
    edited September 2011
    SimLibby wrote:

SimsNet seems to be a Danish site. If you could find out about the other forum, that would be great. Thank you.

Yes, I chatted with Mere, and she explained to me my mistake. :oops:
    Denmark = Danish
    Holland and The Netherlands = Dutch :wink:

Meresimp wrote:
    In fact I also think www.snootysims.com is Dutch - but everything on their site is in English.
    But she could ask Snooty if he know of any Dutch forum with a CAW section...

By the way here I found a link to what I think is a fine Dutch forum: http://simlicious.nl/
    Maybe she could contact them??
    If you'd like I can even get you a subforum for all your Dutch tutorials there. We could put it right under Resources Listings Let me know what you'd like to do.
    SimLibby wrote:
    You give me more than I asked for and expected. This sounds really exciting and a litte bit scary too. If I decide to take you up on your offer, does this come with certain expectations? Because making tutorials is something I would like to do but I don't like this to be an obligation. That takes away the fun for me. I'am thinking about translating some tutorials into Dutch, like you're tutorials, if that's oke with you. I do make tutorials with my own personal touch, afcourse, but I always give credit and list the source of my information so people can check it for themselfs if they want to.

I chatted with the other Administrators at TS3CC, and they are not sure if they want a separate language section. Basically because we would not be able to moderate them with the language barrier. If I were you, I'd contact those two sites, and find out where other good Dutch forums are, and then see if any of them would like to start, or expand their Caw section. I would think that would be something they would want, since it creates more activity on the whole forum. Lots of our members at TS3CC came for the Caw section, and now participate in many other sections of the forum. It's a win win situation.

Keep me updated on what you do, and the outcome. Please translate anything you want. You can use my pictures also, but of course they're all in English.

Good Luck :D
    AL
    edited September 2011
    I do have gen. I don't know what LAA is. So no.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited September 2011
    Hi Bun,

LAA, is a nifty little program, (free), that allows caw to use up to 4 gigs of ram instead of the 2 gigs Caw is programed to use. Follow the first link on the front page for info on LAA. I think that might be your problem.
  • soccergirl1996soccergirl1996 Posts: 382
    edited September 2011
    Sorry to bother you again. But I was working on my world in edit in game about 2-3 times and have not gone into CAW since EIG. When I go to load up my world in CAW I notice that there is not a Visual Studio Setting icon under it (i think my world had one) but I go to try to open up my world but it wont let me.

It says: unable to load world...........cannot load file...........
    I have no clue why this happend
    thanks for helping :-)
    edited September 2011
    From reading other threads at MTS, I believe that means the global layer did not save properly. Make a copy of your most recent backup, and put it somewhere for safe keeping, then open up the backup in caw to make sure you can use that save. Are you using the EIG batch thingy-mic-****** to open the file up in EIG, or are you going in through Caw? Anyway, go into EIG again, do a minor tweak, and save. See if it was an isolated incident, or an ongoing issue.
  • misteemilesmisteemiles Posts: 44
    edited September 2011
    Auntielynds quik question when people do what I to do in the link I provided you did it appear and disapear because it doesn't do that for me.
  • SimLibbySimLibby Posts: 668 Member
    edited September 2011
    I chatted with the other Administrators at TS3CC, and they are not sure if they want a separate language section. Basically because we would not be able to moderate them with the language barrier.
    That makes senses. But thank you for considering it and discussing it with the other Administrators.
    If I were you, I'd contact those two sites, and find out where other good Dutch forums are, and then see if any of them would like to start, or expand their Caw section. I would think that would be something they would want, since it creates more activity on the whole forum. Lots of our members at TS3CC came for the Caw section, and now participate in many other sections of the forum. It's a win win situation.
    Keep me updated on what you do, and the outcome. Please translate anything you want. You can use my pictures also, but of course they're all in English.
    I might contact them. For now I'am gone focus on my topics over at the Dutch forum becauses I just realised something. I think I have underestimate the effect of my caw library topic. Just now there was somebody who needed some help, she said it was because of my topic she decided to give CAW another try. So I'am gone make some more tutorials and take a closer look at your tutorials for translating (I will probable make my own pictures). I will start with what I know about CAW and then take it from there. In time I will post links in my topics (at the Dutch forum) that are already linked on TS3 CC. Those three topics on TS3 CC is more than enough for me, through those topics everything will be accessible for Dutch cawsters who visit The Dutch forum and TS3 CC.
    Good Luck
    Same to you.

Auntielynds, It was my pleasure 'meeting' you.

Greetings Libby
    edited September 2011
    Auntielynds quik question when people do what I to do in the link I provided you did it appear and disapear because it doesn't do that for me.

I have no idea what your trying to ask me. I've reread it several times, and I'm drawing a blank. Does what disappear, the link?
    edited September 2011
    I have no idea what your trying to ask me. I've reread it several times, and I'm drawing a blank. Does what disappear, the link?
    I was talking about the actual game :)
    Well I think it works but nobody is posting anything to tell if it does. I'm just so confused why nobody even tells me if it worked for them or not but can you tell if it worked???
    edited September 2011
    I have not heard of any such reports. I'd say only about 5% of people reply with their results. I reply to posts all the time, and just once in a while will someone come back and say "Yay that worked!", on the other hand probably more will come back and say "Didn't work for me". So, it's a good thing when people don't reply, probably means it worked, and they're happily playing their game. :mrgreen:
    edited September 2011
    I have not heard of any such reports. I'd say only about 5% of people reply with their results. I reply to posts all the time, and just once in a while will someone come back and say "Yay that worked!", on the other hand probably more will come back and say "Didn't work for me". So, it's a good thing when people don't reply, probably means it worked, and they're happily playing their game. :mrgreen:

Thank you so much for telling me that :) I love using CAW and I don't wanna buy Town Life because it's simply a rip off I think. But anyways since I fixed I've been working on the new world called Oakland Ridge I'm renaming Shanendoah Valley or Chattanooga Valley though and a new update's coming soon so if you'd check that out it would be nice.

LINK http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/426716.page#6194820

BTW: What do you thing I should name the world Shanendoah Valley or Chattanooga valley or maybe something else :D
    edited September 2011
    edited September 2011
    Very cool Bun!

I want to play your tombs, where are they? Are they all going to be in Miki's world?
  • IAmtheGoblinKingIAmtheGoblinKing Posts: 317 New Member
    edited September 2011
    Thanks so much for this -- this has already started to help me and I'm a newbie to this.
    edited September 2011
    You mean the ones in the tutorials?
    Unfortunately, those were all sets. Literally sets! However, you WILL be able to find all of my tricks (except subtopias) and more in one of the most challenging and puzzling tombs I'll probably ever make, The Peace Gardens!

The Peace Gardens is in Mikkita's world. It will require every EP, no SP, no CC, no Custom Patterns, and no Store.

I am trying to create other tombs right now, but now I need to finish up on PG! Mikitta wants to get beta out before Pets. And besides, I've been working on this tomb for several months now, and I'm still on the second floor! I think I should get a move on on this, and stop being sidetracked by other tombs!

It will have 4 floors, each with 6 challenges in them. The last floor will have an extra challenge, which is the ultimate challenge! It will take you through every single challenge, and you must discover the secret room in each challenge! The secret room is usually extremely hard to find, and sometimes even dangerous!

I think that I may hold off on the Third Post in my Musical Triggers post until tomorrow. I should get back to PG!
    edited September 2011
    Bun,
    LOL, well I can't wait to play it!

I keep getting sidetracked too :)

IAmtheGoblinKing,
    Your welcome! It's more like sharing my bookmarks with everyone. I'm always thinking, "Where did I read that?" LOL.

Hey, and your user name just gave me a great idea for Spooky Town. I'm trying to put together a populated version this year, I'm off to go make a Goblin King for it!

Mauau, auau, au :)
  • 8NiSci88NiSci8 Posts: 1,735 Member
    edited September 2011
    auntielynds,

A few people requested a cave building tutorial from me. Do I just post the link? Here it is:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/0/440360.page#6489751

Thanks, and thank you for compiling these tutorials. They have definitely helped me on many occasions.
    edited September 2011
    Yay! Great 8NiSci8,

I'll pop it in Under "Waterfalls, Rivers, & Surf" I'll add "& Caves" :)
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited September 2011
    An "And Caves" section...

The "And" makes all the difference! :mrgreen:
    Time to get out a wireless mouse, a keyboard, CAW, and a hammer...

I'll see if I can come up with anything!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top