Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Create-A-World Mac?

Comments

• edited September 2011
    Haha seriously! I was talking to my friend about having a townie/rabbit hole free world and she said that I'd have to make one for myself and how embarrassing is that telling her I can't :oops:
  • southparkfan421southparkfan421 Posts: 2
    edited September 2011
    First, not everyone can pay 100 dollars to get windows just so they can play it on their Mac, and even if they did have the money, there are far more important uses for it.
    Second, I refuse to pay 100 dollars to get windows just to get CAW when the PC users get it for free. That is just unfair.
  • KoolKavKoolKav Posts: 4
    edited October 2011
    Sign me up, I have ideas but won't get to use them.

Plus paying 100 dollars for windows is stupid just for a game, this is really unfair! And I'm not getting a normal PC and throwing out my Macbook Pro.

It feels like they skipped us and just worried about the PC users!
  • Amberl99Amberl99 Posts: 1
    edited November 2011
    They should allow create a world tool for mac the reasons why are

1.Have of the people in the world use macs

2.We WOULD get to make OUR OWN WORLD with the comfort of OUR macs

3.Who doesn't like macs nor sims
  • AcelineAceline Posts: 15 New Member
    edited November 2011
    This isn't going to happen is it? So much for us "beloved" mac folk :(
  • rad1rad1 Posts: 21 New Member
    edited November 2011
    No it's not going to happen and this is why. EA didn't port the Sims 3 to the Mac. They got the Windows code to run on a Mac by enclosing the program in a wrapper called Wine which makes the Mac think it's running a Mac program. This works but it is much slower than if it were running in native mode. I have Windows installed on my iMac and the Windows frame rates are double what I get when I run Sims 3 on the Mac side. EA should have explained this on the Box when they said the program was for the Mac but EA is all about money and not customer satisfaction. CAW is the tool that they use to create their worlds and they just cleaned it up a bit and released it for Windows. It didn't cost them much to do this and it has added a lot to the game. Just look at the number of custom worlds out there. CAW would not work well running in a wrapper if at all and they won't spend the money to code it for the Mac because there aren't that many Mac users. End of story.
  • KarinLKarinL Posts: 3,989 Member
    edited November 2011
    ^ ^ what rad1 said.

CAW is too complicated to run in wine/cider. And EA can't port it to Mac, because they don't have the know-how to port games themselves.

It's not going to happen. And at the moment I'm more concerned in them fixing the various issues we've been having with the graphics since patch 1.25.
    Yeah, it's sad that CAW doesn't work on a Mac. But for many of us Sims 3 doesn't work on our Macs either.
  • FigwitFigwit Posts: 1,072 Member
    edited November 2011
    Exactly what Karin and rad said. If they could have done it, they would have.

Grimreaperskitten, why can't you have a townie/rabbit hole free world? You can still download CAW worlds even if you can't build them yourself Most of them are not populated and you can get mods to limit immigration. You could delete all the buildings yourself or find a stripped down version with no buildings at all. If you check the link in my sig, Richdre has a Lost Island world that has very few buildings/rabbit holes. Actually the only one he has is the mausoleum I think.
  • JosheeBoyJosheeBoy Posts: 1
    edited December 2011
    I honestly think it's ridiculous.... They should make a World Tool for Mac's also, I personally think it would be easier to make a world on a Mac because Mac's have all these easy & handy gadgets that could be of help.. Home the Sims 3 team one day wakes up & realises & makes a World Tool for Macs....
    Kindly Said, JosheeBoy ( A concerned Simmer ) :)
  • MrMagnetismMrMagnetism Posts: 142 Member
    edited March 2012
    I'd got a Idea if they won't let us Create a World for Mac how about Create Sims 4 "ONLY For Macs."
  • TajAndersonTajAnderson Posts: 2
    edited May 2012
    Us Mac users can only hope, but seriously when will EA Figure out that Macs are the best? I mean they might be expensive but they are fricken good
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited May 2012
    Us Mac users can only hope, but seriously when will EA Figure out that Macs are the best? I mean they might be expensive but they are fricken good

In your opinion and my opinion they are the best computers, but not everyone's :roll:

Do you guys realise that what you are asking EA to do is write a program, which is free, specifically for the Mac OS? They didn't write The Sims 3 specifically for the Mac OS so why should they write an entirely new program? The Sims 3 thinks it's running in Windows so I imagine wrapping CAW in Cider is an impossibility. CAW uses your installed TS3 game in order to work. They provided CAW for Windows users because it was a tool that they already used so they made it freely available, in beta.

I'm no fan of EA, as is evident on my blog, but seriously, this whining about CAW not being available on Macs has been going on for 2 years now. It's never going to happen. Either accept that and move on or install Windows in Boot Camp, install your games and download CAW. Plenty of us Mac users have and have had great fun making worlds. If you want it that badly you can get it on your Mac, it's not impossible. If you can't afford a copy of Windows, which is about £100, then save up for it.
    apple-signature.png
  • keobookskeobooks Posts: 103 Member
    edited May 2012
    I think that's a bit rude, Bluebell. I specifically bought Mac only digital downloads and I don't WANT boot camp -- that's why I bought MAC digital downloads. If I were going to switch it it would cost SEVERAL HUNDRED dollars to replace all of my games AND get boot camp -- which I don't even want in the first place.

CAW should be available for all players. We paid for the same game the PC players did, but we don't have full playability without CAW. I think not having CAW for Mac is as bad as not having a stuff pack available for macs. Yes it's free but it was bundled up with WA when it first came out. Mac people with WA basically paid for CAW and never got it.
    edited May 2012
    keobooks wrote:
    I think that's a bit rude, Bluebell. I specifically bought Mac only digital downloads and I don't WANT boot camp -- that's why I bought MAC digital downloads. If I were going to switch it it would cost SEVERAL HUNDRED dollars to replace all of my games AND get boot camp -- which I don't even want in the first place.

CAW should be available for all players. We paid for the same game the PC players did, but we don't have full playability without CAW. I think not having CAW for Mac is as bad as not having a stuff pack available for macs. Yes it's free but it was bundled up with WA when it first came out. Mac people with WA basically paid for CAW and never got it.

It would be lovely if CAW was available to all wouldn't it? It would be lovely if a lot of software written for Windows was available on Macs but unfortunately we are in a predominantly Windows world so it's not the case. I would prefer to have a good stable, fast, secure and reliable OS, and sacrifice some software, than buy a Windows PC. But that's ok because we can run BOTH operating systems on our Macs, effectively getting 2 computers in 1. Boot Camp is already on your Mac.

You say "we paid for the same game the PC players did". Yes we did so you should be more angry about appalling performance and low fps on the Mac compared to Windows, EA's complete lack of support for an OS they apparently support, EA's stubborn refusal to test the game on Macs, and a game which isn't even written natively for the Mac OS - you paid the same price as the Windows user. You didn't, however, pay for CAW. CAW didn't come with World Adventures, it has only been available as a download from this site. It's an add on that EA made available for free.

Sorry if I sound harsh but there is a solution and EA are never going to release it so I cannot understand why people are still moaning. Get angry about something constructive like EA ripping us off with a sub standard product compared to Windows users. Don't get angry about something which you can do something about. I'm sorry you bought the digital download versions of the game - perhaps you could pick up second hand copies on disc? They retail over here for about £5 each.

I'm in complete agreement with rad1, KarinL and Figwit from the previous page, I'm just being a bit more blunt in my response. You guys really need to understand WHY CAW is not available on the Mac OS.
    apple-signature.png
  • SugarmewSugarmew Posts: 236
    edited May 2012
    keobooks wrote:

It would be lovely if CAW was available to all wouldn't it? It would be lovely if a lot of software written for Windows was available on Macs but unfortunately we are in a predominantly Windows world so it's not the case. I would prefer to have a good stable, fast, secure and reliable OS, and sacrifice some software, than buy a Windows PC. But that's ok because we can run BOTH operating systems on our Macs, effectively getting 2 computers in 1. Boot Camp is already on your Mac.

You say "we paid for the same game the PC players did". Yes we did so you should be more angry about appalling performance and low fps on the Mac compared to Windows, EA's complete lack of support for an OS they apparently support, EA's stubborn refusal to test the game on Macs, and a game which isn't even written natively for the Mac OS - you paid the same price as the Windows user. You didn't, however, pay for CAW. CAW didn't come with World Adventures, it has only been available as a download from this site. It's an add on that EA made available for free.

Sorry if I sound harsh but there is a solution and EA are never going to release it so I cannot understand why people are still moaning. Get angry about something constructive like EA ripping us off with a sub standard product compared to Windows users. Don't get angry about something which you can do something about. I'm sorry you bought the digital download versions of the game - perhaps you could pick up second hand copies on disc? They retail over here for about £5 each.

I'm in complete agreement with rad1, KarinL and Figwit from the previous page, I'm just being a bit more blunt in my response. You guys really need to understand WHY CAW is not available on the Mac OS.

Complete and utter agreement, Bluebell, and keobooks, I didn't see anything rude in Bluebell's post. She was a bit strong, but not rude. Learn the difference.

The thing I was most mad about was when people were getting trolled constantly and EA was just making more EPs and SPs - trolled by an extremely nasty person, and if it wasn't for all the helpful Simmers out there, we'd still be in that situation. All EA is caring about is making more money, then lying to the Mac users and saying the game is compatible when it's hardly even running. There are some lucky people out there (who tend to turn into the EA cheerleaders) who rarely have problems, but more than 50% of the Mac community has at least one bug that won't go away. The Lion fiasco is a perfectly good example of all the problems people had.

Quit whining about something that's probably never going to be poorly ported over to the Macs, and just either live with it or get some sort of emulator. I don't think anyone wants to see any more threads titled 'when is caw going to be released for mac??????????????' and I'm sick of them. We've pretty much been abandoned by EA, we haven't gotten that many responses from the Gurus in months. Yet the Gurus still sneak around, move threads and lock them, proving that we're just blatantly being ignored. Bluebell's had about three threads moved, I've had a problem thread that was deleted before the problem was resolved (I have no idea why) and kaosgirl's thread was deleted, earning kaosgirl a ban. Proof that EA still looks around here. We're not likely to get anything more than Create a Pattern. We're left in the dark about EVERYTHING related to Mac problems - when patches are released, when a problem will be resolved. We were not told if there would ever be a Create a Pet demo for Macs (there was one but it was told about TWO DAYS before the demo was released) and we probably won't get CAW.

I know that was harsh but I've been holding in all my rants for months, alright? A lot of the Mac users are feeling cheated and tricked that they get a game that works half the time. Myself included. We won't get CAW by this month, so stop complaining.
  • mileyrocks1992mileyrocks1992 Posts: 1
    edited August 2012
    I have been looking online for months to try to find a mac version of create a world! I really want to because i am getting bored of the worlds that they make for you. Do they think we dont deserve it because we have macs? Its so unfair :!:
  • ultradave73ultradave73 Posts: 13 New Member
    edited September 2012
    I say just let all those semi-creative pc users make the worlds for us and then just install them. There's plenty world's out there to play with. Not all are free, but really, who has the time to sit down and create a world? I know I don't, and if I did, I'd rather use my time playing the game.

I also purchased the Sims 3 in Mac download format. Had I known any better I would have bought the installer disc for both WIN/MAC for the same price. I opted for the download since I didn't have to wait.

As far as Boot Camp goes - I would never run Win natively on my Mac - that's just blasphemy. I do have Win 7 running on Parallel's on occasion, but those occasions are few and far between as they should be.

EA would have to invest too much simoleon's to re-write The Sims natively for the Mac. So as it's been stated before - It's very doubtful that CAW will ever be released for Mac. Don't hold your breath. If you need it that bad, save your simoleon's and get a windows copy.

My HUGE gripe is the fact that you have to have Sims installed in order to run CAW. Shame on you EA!
    edited September 2012
    It's not blasphemy installing Windows on your Mac, it actually shows how great the hardware is and how, if one company write all drivers etc. for the OS, stable Windows can actually be ;)

And you don't have to install worlds made by just PC users, there are quite a few out there made by us Mac users too :D
    apple-signature.png
  • GameFace2000GameFace2000 Posts: 1
    edited January 2013
    I hate the fact that EA doesn't do anything for the mac. they need to bring out the world creator for mac as well :evil: where is the link to sign the petition?
  • Vinnie3333Vinnie3333 Posts: 1
    edited January 2013
    Dang it i wanted create a world it would have been awesome.
    And if the Sims 3 team released it on mac, mac should have the same as PC. :!:
  • theartisticpandatheartisticpanda Posts: 2
    edited January 2013
    hey this is the link to the petition and its page:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/133489.page
  • zoezoosezoezoose Posts: 12
    edited April 2013
    I would love to have Create-a-world, but like all of you I have a MAC. I love the games and I have brought stuff packs and expansion packs, and sim points (I'm sure a lot of you have too). So why not help us out for a change, and give us create-a-world?
  • xLeEamzxxLeEamzx Posts: 74
    edited April 2013
    This is so unfair!
    They treat us mac users like dust. Like mac's aren't important or special enough for a game.
    In sims 2 they didn't even release all of the bloody expansion packs for us (that I could find).
    Please, PLEASE tell me what is so different about macs that you cannot be bothered to make a working bloody game for us when we've shoved you our wallets so you can go treat windows users with free tools and smooth games.
  • KaiHampton11KaiHampton11 Posts: 75 Member
    edited July 2013
    It is 2013 and still no CAW yet for mac.
    i wonder if ea has finished the mac probable they forgot about it. from 2009. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    edited July 2013
    I hate to break it to you, but it's probably never coming to the Mac. We never had "Homecrafter" for Sims 2 and that came with the base game. If you wanted to do a CAW for Sims 2, you used Sim City 4. Most of us had it.

It's no game breaker for me. Yeah, it'd be nice but I'd rather be able to play the game without all the crashing.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.