Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can't download the patch. Tells me to uninstall

I click on download patch and it looks like it goes ahead and downloads it, but at the end I get a popup saying that it can't be installed and that I should reinstall the game. I checked the topic about seeing if your mac is case sensitive or something like that and I don't have that problem. Help?

Running a MacBook Pro that I just bought last year, but I'm still on Snow Leopard.

Comments

• atreyoughatreyough Posts: 671
    edited August 2011
    I have a mac also, and this happened to me also. I ended up just doing what it said and it fixed the problem. Actually mine said that certain things were missing or something(it was a while ago) the details list had all this stuff typed in red....does this sound like what is happening with you? Just leave everything the way it is and re-install, no uninstall necessary. Hope I could help! :lol:
  • IceQueenOfWinterIceQueenOfWinter Posts: 2 New Member
    edited August 2011
    I'm having the same problem with the new patch too. I first noticed this problem when I realized that despite having installed Town Life properly [as the installer told me], the items and new content weren't showing up. I went to the launcher, thinking 'maybe I need to install the newest patch for it to show up properly.'

What happened was that I got a popup saying "Files have been modified- please reinstall" and I was utterly confused since i had just reinstalled everything sims3-wise about four days ago.

But I'm currently doing what the patch-installer-popup and a few people, such as atreyough, are suggesting. Hopefully a simple reinstall is just the thing that we need to do in order for the new patch to install... *keeping my fingers crossed*

EDIT: And I just read what you posted again, atreyough. *slaps myself* Sorry for the confusion of my post, megobviously. I misinterpreted the popup and atreyough. But I'm still trying out the uninstalling and the reinstalling of my game and the expansions just to see if my issue was a fluke on my macbook or something like that. If it continues to say the "Files have been modified- please reinstall" for me, I'm trying what atreyough says- and do it correctly as what she said.
  • atreyoughatreyough Posts: 671
    edited August 2011
    YES!!!! that is what it said... that they had been modified! then I checked the file and that is where all the red typing was I guess that was modified.....did that make sense? :oops: Really hope this fixes your issue!
  • IceQueenOfWinterIceQueenOfWinter Posts: 2 New Member
    edited August 2011
    So if I get the message saying that again after my game and expansions FINALLY installed again... I'm guessing I'd hit "view log" or something like that? And what's missing or modified is supposed to be highlighted or typed in red font?

When I did "view log" the first time, I didn't see any red font- or maybe I just overlooked the red font since everything showed up so quickly at the same time in the log.

• megobviouslymegobviously Posts: 40 New Member
    edited September 2011
    atreyough wrote:
    I have a mac also, and this happened to me also. I ended up just doing what it said and it fixed the problem. Actually mine said that certain things were missing or something(it was a while ago) the details list had all this stuff typed in red....does this sound like what is happening with you? Just leave everything the way it is and re-install, no uninstall necessary. Hope I could help! :lol:

The patch? I've tried that multiple times and it keeps saying to reinstall the game. Reinstalling the game itself without uninstalling first doesn't make any sense to me. Plus, it doesn't sound like we're having the same problem because mine doesn't say anything is missing.
  • JennygirlJennygirl Posts: 600 Member
    edited September 2011
    atreyough wrote:

I'm getting this too...
    What did you have to reinstall? Did you have to reinstall everything? Or just Town Life?
  • kesnesskesness Posts: 2 New Member
    edited September 2011
    Same happening here, running Lion. I reinstalled Town Life, and it didn't help. I really don't want to have to reinstall everything, again...
  • kirby356kirby356 Posts: 4,607 Member
    edited September 2011
    I don't want to sound stupid, but how exactly do you reinstall Town-Life Stuff Pack?? And when I do, will it delete my family?? I just got the update today, and I have the exact same problem. It's so annoying :evil:!! If anyone can answer my question I would highly appreciate it.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited September 2011
    kirby356 wrote:
    I don't want to sound stupid, but how exactly do you reinstall Town-Life Stuff Pack?? And when I do, will it delete my family?? I just got the update today, and I have the exact same problem. It's so annoying :evil:!! If anyone can answer my question I would highly appreciate it.

If you go to the Sims 3 Uninstaller (in your Sims 3 folder in Applications or wherever you installed the initial game) and double-click, it'll give you a list of the packs you have installed -- you then click the one you want to uninstall. (If you click "The Sims 3" it'll uninstall everything, so be careful and make sure you have your folder in Documents backed up!) Installing Town Life Stuff shouldn't affect your families since it's just a Stuff Pack and didn't have a town involved; uninstalling an Expansion Pack that has a town (such as Twinbrook with Ambitions, or Bridgeport with Late Night) will uninstall that town and any games/families you were playing in that town. After uninstalling, you can then reinstall -- not sure if that takes care of the problem involving this patch, or if you have to uninstall and reinstall everything.

Note: to back up your Sims3 folder in Documents, easiest way to do it is to rename it to Sims3Backup and drag it to your desktop. Then do the uninstall and reinstall, run the game to apply all patches, then exit and move items you want to keep (Saved Games, Sims, etc.) back to your new Sims 3 folder from the Backup folder. Note that you'll have to reinstall all your downloads, and that's best to do incrementally; Worlds first, then open the game to make sure they're showing up, then your Store stuff.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • skybabyblue96skybabyblue96 Posts: 2
    edited September 2011
    Hi everyone! Im having the same problem, and my question to the people who have done it is, if I re-install, won't everything on my game be gone? Just wondering...
  • kirby356kirby356 Posts: 4,607 Member
    edited September 2011
    skybabyblue96 I would recommend not to uninstall and then reinstall. It takes up to much of your time. I did it and it didn't delete any saved content at all on my game, but the problem was not fixed. My best solution is to just wait until EA releases a follow-up update or patch that will fix this problem. I'm still playing the game without any issues, but I just ignore the update icon. Just go about your game, like the update doesn't even exist, and wait for EA to fix this issue.
  • DeBratskiDeBratski Posts: 33 Member
    edited September 2011
    I had the same issue last night - I saved a copy of the Saves folder etc on my desktop, uninstalled everything, then re-installed the game and expansions in order of release. Seems to be working fine now.

It's a pain to do, but seems to work. If you're worried about saved games etc, copy the folder with the saved games to another location, then after you've uninstalled & reinstalled everything, you can just pop them back in to the file directory and it should work fine, at least it did for me.
  • pixelrpixelr Posts: 23 New Member
    edited September 2011
    I have the same problem.

My old game version: 9.0.73.012001
    The 'new' game version: 6920-1.25.3.012001

Plus the red tagged error files:

Examining File : /Contents/Frameworks/version.txt -> SHA1 Error
    Examining File : /Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Game/Bin/Packs/TS3EP01/TS3EP01.exe -> SHA1 Error
    Examining File : /Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Game/Bin/Packs/TS3EP02/TS3EP02.exe -> SHA1 Error
    Examining File : /Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Game/Bin/Packs/TS3EP03/TS3EP03.exe -> SHA1 Error
    Examining File : /Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Game/Bin/Packs/TS3EP04/TS3EP04.exe -> SHA1 Error
    Examining File : /Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Game/Bin/Packs/TS3SP01/TS3SP01.exe -> SHA1 Error
    Examining File : /Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Game/Bin/Packs/TS3SP02/TS3SP02.exe -> SHA1 Error
    Examining File : /Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Game/Bin/Packs/TS3SP03/TS3SP03.exe -> SHA1 Error
  • beclovespenguinsbeclovespenguins Posts: 1
    edited November 2011
    I am having the same problem but it's only for the one file:
    I just bought Pets expansion pack and haven't updated in a long time because I haven't been playing and I noticed that all the other expansion pack updates went fine it's just this one that doesn't work. So frustrating. :(
  • 90Fitz0990Fitz09 Posts: 10
    edited November 2011
    I am having the same problem but it's only for the one file:
    I just bought Pets expansion pack and haven't updated in a long time because I haven't been playing and I noticed that all the other expansion pack updates went fine it's just this one that doesn't work. So frustrating. :(

That's exactly what mine says. Can anyone help us? I am so confused and on top of that my computer likes to freeze up whenever I try to play with a horse in Pets :(
  • serbeanserbean Posts: 30 New Member
    edited November 2011
    I'm also having this issue and I really do not want to reinstall everything because it seems like I have to do this every time something goes wrong, and I haven't even gotten pets or any new expansions in a while.
  • minnymeinminnymein Posts: 13
    edited November 2011
    Hi I have the same problem about the updating stuffs. sometimes, mine updates but later on it stops and closes and sometimes a pop up appears saying that there is no available patch for update. -____- my current version is 1.0.631
  • Brickgirl101Brickgirl101 Posts: 4
    edited December 2011
    Is what it says is wrong... i am having the same problem grrr! it seems like since i have gotten sims pet nothing is working right!!!! grrr
  • DreamJob4DreamJob4 Posts: 95 New Member
    edited December 2011
    I made a thread about this already. http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/476221.page
    I'm trying to keep this problem focused on one topic so we all can get solutions quickly.
    Thank you.
  • carla70carla70 Posts: 575 Member
    edited December 2011
    well, I had those error and broke down and uninstalled everything and reinstall but don't patch til the end, And it worked,
  • Brickgirl101Brickgirl101 Posts: 4
    edited December 2011
    I reinstalled the sims 3 disk and it worked... although the patch did not fix my issue with sims 3 pet