Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

how to download rar files

hi every body i was wondering how to downlode rar file for windows 7 i cant get it to work
:(

Comments

• AnonymousMissAnonymousMiss Posts: 1,482 Member
    edited August 2011
    Do you have Winrar?
  • CatrillaCatrilla Posts: 1,708 Member
    edited August 2011
    i use iZarc, have for years.
  • toelocmoontoelocmoon Posts: 277
    edited August 2011
    Do you have Winrar?
    im not suer what you mene to say
  • blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
    edited August 2011
    toelocmoon wrote:
    hi every body i was wondering how to downlode rar file for windows 7 i cant get it to work
    :(
    I tried to walk you though this last night an you never responded to my last question. I finally decided I couldn't wait any longer and needed to go to bed.
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).
  • SedatedLlamaSedatedLlama Posts: 514
    edited August 2011
    You know, there's such thing as a search bar on the forums...Plenty of people have asked similar questions..

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/170393.page

Maybe that'll help
    edited August 2011
    You can try to download (.rar) or (.zip) files all day long but you have to have a way to read them first. Which means you have to install an application program and install it in your Program files before you can use it to open those types of files.

If you're on a PC running Windows doesn't matter which version you have, WinRAR is free you just get annoying pop-up depending on how you use it. You don't get them if you right-click and choose Extract Here. (This is after you have the application installed).

In order to install the correct version of the software, you will need to know the type of computer you have even though you are running Windows. It's either 32-bit or 64-bit which you can get from your System Information. Go to Start, Programs, Accessories, System Information. Then on the System Summary check the System Type (i.e. x64-based PC), which is 64-bit. Otherwise, it will say 32-bit or just (x86), which is the same as 32-bit.

Example: System Information.
    vdztkm.jpg

Example: WinRAR download choices.
    iwpw20.jpg

DO NOT INSTALL THIS APPLICATIONS IN YOUR GAME FOLDERS!
    By default, Windows (no matter the version) comes with a Downloads folder. Just find and download either the 32-bit or the 64-bit version, whichever you need. After you download it (usually to the Downloads folder), go there and click on it to Run the Setup. This will install the program on your computer/laptop. For Windows 7 the default Downloads folder the OS gives you is under Favorites.

Install it under Programs with rest of your operating systems Programs. Normally, the default path will already be selected when you go to install the application. Installing this software is no different than installing any other software that doesn't already come with your computer. (i.e. Yahoo Messenger, Gimp, eMusic, The Sims 3, etc...)

Step 1. Download the version you need to your default Downloads folder. The go to folder, find the (.exe) file you just downloaded and run the setup to install the application on your computer. Let it install it in Programs as this is normally already selected by default from the operating system.
    2eame0w.jpg

Step 2. After the application programs is installed, you will see it will have created a WinRAR folder under Programs with everything the application needs to run properly, just like all the other programs you have installed or added to your computer.
    2rop6yt.jpg

Step 3. You can also verify the program is installed in add/remove programs via the control panel. You will see the installed program with the books on it.
    21k1.jpg

I have Windows Vista but the setup and structure for the Program folders is the same as Windows 7. The thing about Windows is they pretty much keep the same folder structure and naming convention from one version to the next.

Once you have the application program installed to actually read (.rar, .zip, others...), then you go to wherever you downloaded the content, right-click on it, and choose extract here, that will open the contents of the (.rar) file.

The operating system will automatically know the Program to use because you now have the application installed. If by chance it doesn't, then right-click on the file and choose Open with, then choose default program, select WinRAR as the default program to open these file types. Make sure to check-mark "Always use the selected program" or you will have to choose every time.

3324f20.jpg

Like I said, this is no different then any other application that you install or came already on your operating system.

Examples: For Windows
    Word application is assigned to Documents file type (.doc)
    Excel application is assigned to Spreadsheets file type (.xls)
    Notepad application is assigned as the Text Editor file type (.txt)

I hope this give you what you need to get WinRAR installed on your computer/laptop. :wink:

typos :?
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    edited August 2011
    blunote00 wrote:
    You can try to download (.rar) or (.zip) files all day long but you have to have a way to read them first. Which means you have to install an application program and install it in your Program files before you can use it to open those types of files.

If you're on a PC running Windows doesn't matter which version you have, WinRAR is free you just get annoying pop-up depending on how you use it. You don't get them if you right-click and choose Extract Here. (This is after you have the application installed).

In order to install the correct version of the software, you will need to know the type of computer you have even though you are running Windows. It's either 32-bit or 64-bit which you can get from your System Information. Go to Start, Programs, Accessories, System Information. Then on the System Summary check the System Type (i.e. x64-based PC), which is 64-bit. Otherwise, it will say 32-bit or just (x86), which is the same as 32-bit.

Example: System Information.
    vdztkm.jpg

Example: WinRAR download choices.
    iwpw20.jpg

DO NOT INSTALL THIS APPLICATIONS IN YOUR GAME FOLDERS!
    By default, Windows (no matter the version) comes with a Downloads folder. Just find and download either the 32-bit or the 64-bit version, whichever you need. After you download it (usually to the Downloads folder), go there and click on it to Run the Setup. This will install the program on your computer/laptop. For Windows 7 the default Downloads folder the OS gives you is under Favorites.

Install it under Programs with rest of your operating systems Programs. Normally, the default path will already be selected when you go to install the application. Installing this software is no different than installing any other software that doesn't already come with your computer. (i.e. Yahoo Messenger, Gimp, eMusic, The Sims 3, etc...)

Step 1. Download the version you need to your default Downloads folder. The go to folder, find the (.exe) file you just downloaded and run the setup to install the application on your computer. Let it install it in Programs as this is normally already selected by default from the operating system.
    2eame0w.jpg

Step 2. After the application programs is installed, you will see it will have created a WinRAR folder under Programs with everything the application needs to run properly, just like all the other programs you have installed or added to your computer.
    2rop6yt.jpg

Step 3. You can also verify the program is installed in add/remove programs via the control panel. You will see the installed program with the books on it.
    21k1.jpg

I have Windows Vista but the setup and structure for the Program folders is the same as Windows 7. The thing about Windows is they pretty much keep the same folder structure and naming convention from one version to the next.

Once you have the application program installed to actually read (.rar, .zip, others...), then you go to wherever you downloaded the content, right-click on it, and choose extract here, that will open the contents of the (.rar) file.

The operating system will automatically know the Program to use because you now have the application installed. If by chance it doesn't, then right-click on the file and choose Open with, then choose default program, select WinRAR as the default program to open these file types. Make sure to check-mark "Always use the selected program" or you will have to choose every time.

3324f20.jpg

Like I said, this is no different then any other application that you install or came already on your operating system.

Examples: For Windows
    Word application is assigned to Documents file type (.doc)
    Excel application is assigned to Spreadsheets file type (.xls)
    Notepad application is assigned as the Text Editor file type (.txt)

I hope this give you what you need to get WinRAR installed on your computer/laptop. :wink:

typos :?
    i sorry but mine never maek it a exe file it just a black wit one
    edited August 2011
    Catrilla wrote:
    how do you use it i downloaded it but can figher out what to do
    edited August 2011
    toelocmoon wrote:
    Catrilla wrote:
    how do you use it i downloaded it but can figher out what to do
    It really doesn't matter which application program you use, it will need to be installed on your computer (99.9% of the time) for it to work. Well I tried... *sigh*

sent via mobile phone
  • x0holly0xx0holly0x Posts: 412 New Member
    edited August 2011
    /fail.
    If you can't figure it out after blunote00's magnificent walkthrough, then we probably wont be able to help you. Nobody can explain it better than that really.