Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

a few things that i think should be added...

Comments

• fluttereyesfluttereyes Posts: 2,337 Member
    edited August 2011
    Jarise I haven't gotten to your post yet. I just thought Fluttereyes' post was rude saying I didn't know Squat about disabled people. When I AM disabled myself. I WAS getting to your post hold your pants.

You just proved my point that you're clueless. I have 22 years experience of Autism and first hand experience of MS, which is a degenerative illness which will ultimately kill me, if the factor 5 Leiden (blood condition) doesn't get me first.

I can see from your last post that you must be very young. I am a grand mother and therefore have life experience too. I taught women with severe disabilities in makeup classes to teach then that they don't have to be what you seem to think they are. Let's take your post and highlight exactly where you are going wrong and highlight the reasons we know you are actually discriminating against disabled people, you know, positive discrimination can be worse at times than any other kind.

Oh and how dare you tell me I'm rude when I describe not only my own disability but that of my son.
    OK your got be on the defensive now. But I AM in that disabled category (expect I'm not in a wheelchair, not missing a limb, or anything else) but I'm still in the disabled category. I knew bunch of disabled people in my school days.

Oh dear, you really are going to have a tough time in life being disabled and not understanding what it actually means for people.
    (4 wheelchair people,

Did you mean 4 people who were wheelchair users or 4 wheelchair people who wouldn't be people without the wheelchair.
    2 who need to be "cleaned up"

Did you ever witness that? Do you think that would be suitable in a teen rated game? Do you think it would be entertaining? Should we have NPC carers that come to their house to do that?
    and had electric cwheelchairs, 3 others who didn't have electric wheelchairs), 1 down syndrome person, and other disablites I don't know. Not Every single person who in a wheelchair wants to take a cure tomorrow. Those two OPs of the two threads certainly don't.

Did you mean a person with Downs Syndrome or a downs Syndrome who was a person too?

As for cures, I would be willing to put money on it that everyone with a disability would take a cure if it was readily available. No, people do not relish in their disabilities but I think you do. When you are older, you will wish for a cure as much as the rest of us.
    I think YOUR the one who doesn't know a thing about disablites-despite having a autistic son.

Contradicted yourself there. I have 22 years experience of Autism in regards to direct care of my own son, I've spent the last 22 years learning about Autism in all it's forms in order that I can understand his situation better. I have also spent most of my adult life in disabled circles , i.e. special needs schools, special needs clubs, etc. I also, obviously have spent a great deal of time with parents of children on the autistic spectrum. I have also been invisible to the majority of my fellow humans with sticks and a wheelchair.
    (Technically not all Autistic kids who have it are the severe kind-I have a small case of it myself). I think your are the one who is wrong.

Technically nothing. It is a known fact that the autistic spectrum is a very big spectrum and therefore the severity/mildness of this disability fluctuates through that spectrum. Is it perhaps that you have been diagnoses with Aspergers? Yeah that's on the spectrum too. Lucky old you that you don't have to live the life my son has to live. A life where people routinely laugh at him in the street, where he will never, ever be able to have a relationship with a female, he will never have a girlfriend or get married or any other 'normal' stuff. I doubt if you're in that position. Some disabilities are not fit for a fun game and if any disabilities are added to the game and others are missed, then there would be a bigger flare up
    The two Ops of the threads already mentioned-don't look down on themselves because of the fact they are in a wheelchair. There's was a deaf person, a person missing a limb, other people in wheelchairs who were on one of the two threads.

No but you look down on people in a wheelchair as you call them wheelchair people, suggesting that the wheelchair is who they are. They are not wheelchair people, they are people who are wheelchair users

if people start making fun of them in stories, videos, we will just report it.?
    To who? You tube? I don't even look on the exchange but I do see you tube videos and I would see them if they were tagged 'autistic'. EA have no control over videos on you tube or in someone's blog. The only time they can do anything about that is if it's a leaked official video and by then everyone has downloaded it anyway and it goes on all the fan sites.
    and technically not ALL disabled people are the same. I'm know a lot more about disabled people then you think I know. I only knew one (well maybe 2 and half) people in wheelchairs that needed to be "cleaned up" like that.

That is the classic statement that should finish this thread. 2 and a half people? That half a person, why weren't they a full person, did they have no legs or something?

You say you know a lot about disabilities but you obviously don't if you say a disabled person is a half a person.

This argument blew up on another thread and you are well aware of that. Your continuing with it and offending people with disabilities and others with an empathy for people with disabilities is no less than discriminatory.

I'm afraid there are no disabilities that are suitable for entertainment purposes in a game. No I don't want to see 'how to kill disabled people' in videos, no I don't want to see Sims with disabilities being pushed into the pool for fun.

If this post gets any worse I'll be reporting it as being offensive to people with disabilities, your half a person statement is enough for that and it's also enough to show that your view of disabilities is very immature and not informed.

You really think that a game could be a good social model to teach people not to abuse people with disabilities? I don't think so, either you don't know how humans are or you are overly optimistic about ho0w such a thing could be used.

Should we also add all the other social issues too, like unwilling participants in physical relations, how about wife beating? Oh child abuse? Maybe you would like that there, it would teach people how awful it is for these children. Why don't we have the Sims notice that not all Sims are the same colour? It's ridiculous.

It's a silly point, it got this same reception before and the OP has disappeared as the thread was intended to spark this kind of response.

Bottom line, people are cruel, it's a nasty human condition. Having disabilities in a game like Th Sims would only serve to give then a platform on which to spotlight that cruelty. I might not know absolutely everything about all disabilities, but having lived for a half a century in the biggest city in my country, I can assure you I know humans and all of their cruel ways.

Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited August 2011
    @fluttereyes:

I'll say one thing about Madame Lee: She may not always be right, but she's never wrong.

*sigh*

Which explains why she never knows when to walk away from a debate that is quickly derailing this thread from its original purpose.

Give it up, Madame Lee. You won't win.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
    edited August 2011
    Which explains why she never knows when to walk away from a debate that is quickly derailing this thread from its original purpose.

I think the purpose of this thread was exactly what has happened, to flame people up. Why else would someone mention two totally different controversial things in one post? Things that have been mentioned before and got bad reactions.

Young people who say they have a disability so therefore understand it still have a long way to go. Once out there in the big world it's a different story. My son went through his school days not even knowing he was different, we had good kids in our area that chatted to him all the time. As an adult, he is learning the starkest reality of them all. Adults are more cruel than children. When a child laughs at someone with a disability it's because they don't know any better, when an adult does it, it's a whole new ballgame.

Thee are also levels of disability. I take it Madame Lee has disabilities that are not immediately visible. In that case you could easily pretend that your Sim also has those disabilities. In the case of a physical and very visible disability, your treatment by the rest of the human race is very different.

An example would be me. I have a disabled parking permit. I have a disability that demands that I have to use those spaces. I get a lot of pain just walking around a supermarket, so the closer I can be to the door, the less walking I have to do. When I was at uni there were about 6 parking spaces where I parked. I always left the ones closest to the door for wheelchair users. One morning one of the girls asked me why I always parked away from the door when I had pain. She had cerebral Palsy and was a wheelchair user. I told her I left that space for her and the other wheelchair users. She freaked out with me and told me that in the future, I was to take that space as she could get to class in her chair with no pain whatsoever. Unwittingly I myself had practices positive discrimination by thinking that their disabilities were greater than mine, just because I could see them. Invisible disabilities are an issue. When I park outside my supermarket I draw attention. One woman actually came over to me and harassed me stating "do you know these are disabled spaces?", I said "Yes, I have a permit", she said "I don't believe that's yours, you don't look disabled to me". Her reasoning was that I was an attractive woman and her statement was "you're not disabled with hair like that and you're wearing makeup". My hair is down to my waist, I take care of it, I do wear mascara and a touch of bronzer some days (when I can be bothered). Her opinion was that I was too good looking to be disabled. I grabbed her arm and shoved my permit, complete with my photo, in her face. Then put it back in the car and limped/hobbled into the shop. She learned a hard lesson that day and I had to have a coffee to calm down before I could shop.

When I get an opportunity to go out, men do look at me, until I have to get up to go to the bar or to the toilet, then they see how I walk (like a duck) and I become invisible again.

We will never change that kind of persons perception of what disabilities are and to try, by putting these issues in a game, only serves to give them an avenue by which to abuse us more.

Jarsie, you know as well as I do that having this stuff in this game would open people with disabilities up to a whole new level of abuse.

If you want to get on in life you have to be able to admit you are wrong, or at least see the other persons point of view and maybe even learn from it. I have an exceptional amount of experience of how people with disabilities are treated in society. Just because one person hasn't suffered the brunt of that yet, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. One day they will feel it and learn the hard way.

You and I have had our disagreements here but that doesn't mean we always will. Adults can disagree with each other on one point, yet agree strongly on another. I can and will admit if I find I'm wrong. In this case I am not.

• Coffefreak4LifeCoffefreak4Life Posts: 8,082 Member
    edited August 2011
    As for cures, I would be willing to put money on it that everyone with a disability would take a cure if it was readily available.

then you would lose your bet . Im epileptic and Quite frankly if i had my life to do over without epilepsy id pass on the opportunity . Why? Because although my life has been hell and i haven't been able to do a lot of the things ive wanted do to my seizures those experiences shape who we are as people . They also determine who we meet and many times . Can you honestly say you would have met many of your friends if you dident have your disability ? hell you may have even changed someones life for the better and not known it that if you dident have that disability you never would have known .

Dont get me wrong . i agree with your position on not having disabilites in the game . on this point your dead wrong though .
    edited August 2011
    then you would lose your bet . Im epileptic and Quite frankly if i had my life to do over without epilepsy id pass on the opportunity . Why? Because although my life has been hell and i haven't been able to do a lot of the things ive wanted do to my seizures those experiences shape who we are as people . They also determine who we meet and many times . Can you honestly say you would have met many of your friends if you dident have your disability ? hell you may have even changed someones life for the better and not known it that if you dident have that disability you never would have known .

1. Do you take medication to control your epilepsy? Mute point then if you do. My aunt had grand mal epilepsy all of her life so I grew up with it from birth. She would have taken a cure if she could and that is evident in the fact that most, if not all people with epilepsy use gabapentine or a similar drug to lessen the frequency of seizures or to lessen the affect of them.
    Dont get me wrong . i agree with your position on not having disabilites in the game . on this point your dead wrong though .

If you take medication of any kind to help with your epilepsy, then I am not wrong. If you liked it so much, you would just live with it. Nobody wants to be disabled and I don't care what anyone says. I have spoken to many people with a variety of disabilities about this and I can assure you, I've never met one yet who wouldn't want to be different if they could, especially where pain is involved.

Bad eyesight is a disability, even if wearing glasses helps you to see. I got lase eye surgery because I wanted to lessen the amount of disabilities I had, this is a very normal procedure that many people have every day all over the world.

You sit down and think. Say I was to tell you that I could cure your epilepsy now. You would still know all those people you have net before now, but you and them can all be cured and still be friends. Do you say yes, or no? Do they say yes, or no?

2. Almost all of the friends I have that I would go out an socialize with are people I knew when I was 18, so my friends have been my friends for over 30 years and no, my disability was not apparent then. It doesn't make a difference to our friendships now though.

3. In saying that you have to have a disability to meet other people with disabilities, you are downing the people who are completely able bodied but choose to work in that field.

4. Yes I would say that I could have lived my life without meeting some people I have net through disability, especially kids I've known who have died. I could definitely have lived my life without the messing with my head that I went through when talking to parents who's kid died at the age of 10 or 12.

I think some people do have a very narrow knowledge of disabilities and a narrow view. I'm sorry but it isn't all sunshine and roses and poor disabled people. It's a very difficult life for most.

The point here is that this is very off topic now and the main reason for me posting was that most able bodied people could not cope with this in a game without turning the disabled Sims into a point of humour.

I would give anything to be able to go out with my friends and actually get up and dance when I'm asked. I would give anything if my son could even have a partial cure for his autism, purely because I watch him struggle to learn anything, in particular, right now he is desperate to learn to read and write. He's been trying now for about three years. I first got him involved in the sims to try to help him with that reading thing. Also I got him involved to teach him about social situations. For example, when he goes out for a meal or a drink, he thinks it's fine to go up to anyone's table and ask their name, etc. Yes, I'm in Glasgow (Scotland) where this is more acceptable than many places, so people do talk to him and they don't mind. The problem is that not everyone is the same and he does disturb people.
    edited August 2011
    Now you are *not* going to sit there and tell me that *if* Glee *really* wanted to find an actual actor who was in a wheelchair that they couldn't have. Disabled actors routinely face discrimination in the workplace, as this article from the Huffington Post attests:

I know a handsome young nan who is an actor and he was doing quite well in getting himself known. He is now in a wheelchair with MS and can't find any work. It is very difficult for disabled actors to get work.

I had to give up my career in SFX makeup for film, just down to the fact that I became unemployable because I can't stand for 15 hours a day now and I can't walk the length of an average sized location and carry on with my work.

I had to go back to university and retrain in something else.
  • ts1depotts1depot Posts: 1,438 Member
    edited August 2011
    tutitut wrote:
    abortions, infants or people with disabilities, and defects, it's more realistic ... :D

You can give sims "defects" in CAS-- just look at the Grimsbys! :mrgreen:
    EiFlric.png
  • x0holly0xx0holly0x Posts: 412 New Member
    edited August 2011
    tutitut wrote:
    I think should be added:
    1. diseases (and option to turn off or something if you don't want it. ..)
    2. swimming in the sea option
    3. option to drown (and not only when unable to exit the pool)
    4. of course, seasons ...
    6. abortions, infants or people with disabilities, and defects, it's more realistic ... :D

1.Maybe not like, diseases as such. But just illnesses. Sims could get the flu or a stomach bug and have to go to the store for some medicine.
    I wouldn't want horrific diseases in my game, I wouldn;t really want my sims getting cancer or whatever.

2.Agree 100 %

3. There could be a new swimming skill, and theres a chance people with a very low skill could drown.

4. Yes pleaseeeee. But I doubt it will be soon as it will be very difficult to get right without killing our computers.

5. HELL TO THE NO. No abortions, this is kid friendly and this is controversial topic in real life, so I highly doubt this will be added. Actually i'm 99.999% sure it wont be added. And disabilities wont be included because it just can't be done in a nice way, user friendly way. It may be more realistic, but I do not want to see sims in my town with disabilities.
  • tutituttutitut Posts: 8
    edited August 2011
    so, to everyone:
    1. i dont know english well enough to write that properly so i translated it in bing translator. if any words are not very correct to say or use for what i meant, sorry, bing translated, not me...
    and to the person says that i have seen topics like this many times so why do i put it up again, no. i didnt see any topics like that about diabilities. i've seen an example shown in this thread. first time seeing it. and, i'm sorry. sorry for making this thread. i understand i've touched a soft spot and i'm sorry. i understood the point about it. and by the way, i dont remember who mentioned it, but of course a person is not his disability, a person is a person and not the disability. of course you can create the person in sims by his traits, by everything about him even without the disability, but you cannot deny that a disability is a part of this person. *not who he is* but one part of a person.
    so, again, sorry for mentioning this subject,and keep enjoing your life, and your sims.
    your life is what you make it! bye! :)
  • LittleVLittleV Posts: 8,565 Member
    edited August 2011
    Disabilities will never be added to the game, for the very reason that this thread and so many other threads illustrates.... it will cause fights and outrage and EA completely avoids ANYTHING that will cause any controversy in the game for the simple reason of not being sued over something stupid.
    MadameLee wrote:
    Do you think the same thing about same-sex people?
    I REALLY hope I'm reading this wrong, but I hope you're not comparing gays and lesbians to disabled people. And on top of that, there is no true sexuality in the game. You can make straight sims, or make gay sims. The game is completely open to both.
    edited August 2011
    tutitut wrote:
    i dont remember who mentioned it, but of course a person is not his disability, a person is a person and not the disability. of course you can create the person in sims by his traits, by everything about him even without the disability, but you cannot deny that a disability is a part of this person. *not who he is* but one part of a person.
    I said that, and yes, it was completely true. You are a person first, with personalities, talents, hobbies, friends and family, and a disability is only a small part of your physical life experience, NOT who the person is.
  • christine400christine400 Posts: 5,554 Member
    edited August 2011
    abortions NO!! if EA put that into their game i woud seriously NEVER buy another game again
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,751 Member
    edited August 2011
    flutteryes saying you can be added to the list of disabled people I already posted are in the supporting disabilities-not Opposing it-like you&Coffefreak.

Yeah but didn't they added the OPTION to have same-sex couples IF we choose to have them? Didn't they add Gens for the Elders-just for the OPITION to have elders have them? So why can't people have the OPTION of having wheelchairs in a game-if such a thing happened you and the others don't need to use them-its for people like me who WANT to have it.

I spend a lot of time around disabled people- in Gr.7&8 on Tuesdays&Thursdays I would have lunch in the Special ED classroom across the hall from my classroom and me and 2 other disabled persons-one of those was in a wheelchair-but could wheel himself would help the custodian with the garbage (it was a one-story school). I would dip inside another Special Ed classroom when I wanted to get out of something.
    6adMCGP.gif
    edited August 2011
    tutitut wrote:
    so, to everyone:
    1. i dont know english well enough to write that properly so i translated it in bing translator. if any words are not very correct to say or use for what i meant, sorry, bing translated, not me...
    and to the person says that i have seen topics like this many times so why do i put it up again, no. i didnt see any topics like that about diabilities. i've seen an example shown in this thread. first time seeing it. and, i'm sorry. sorry for making this thread. i understand i've touched a soft spot and i'm sorry. i understood the point about it. and by the way, i dont remember who mentioned it, but of course a person is not his disability, a person is a person and not the disability. of course you can create the person in sims by his traits, by everything about him even without the disability, but you cannot deny that a disability is a part of this person. *not who he is* but one part of a person.
    so, again, sorry for mentioning this subject,and keep enjoing your life, and your sims.

Hi. I notice that this is only the 3rd post you have ever made. You had some good ideas, but they were overshadowed by the two controversial ideas you suggested: abortions and disabilities.

Adding Sims with disabilities has been controversial since the days of The Sims 2, at least. Many of us either have a disability or have relatives who are disabled, and we know the reality of living with disabilities. That's why we don't want to see it in the game. People who have read these topics such as the one that was linked to, know that I have a daughter with neuromuscular atrophy who as of this year had to be put on oxygen due to breathing problems. I have been accused of being ashamed of her because I don't want to be able to portray her in a game. But, truthfully, I don't want to see disabilities in the game *because* there is no way that EA could do *any* kind of disability justice nor could it be accurately portrayed in the game.

So, I am sorry that you have had such a fiery introduction to this forum. You might want to think carefully about posting another topic that does not have such controversial subjects. I think you will get a much friendlier reception from your fellow Simmers.
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • x0holly0xx0holly0x Posts: 412 New Member
    edited August 2011
    Jarsie9 wrote:
    tutitut wrote:
    so, to everyone:

Hi. I notice that this is only the 3rd post you have ever made. You had some good ideas, but they were overshadowed by the two controversial ideas you suggested: abortions and disabilities.

Adding Sims with disabilities has been controversial since the days of The Sims 2, at least. Many of us either have a disability or have relatives who are disabled, and we know the reality of living with disabilities. That's why we don't want to see it in the game. People who have read these topics such as the one that was linked to, know that I have a daughter with neuromuscular atrophy who as of this year had to be put on oxygen due to breathing problems. I have been accused of being ashamed of her because I don't want to be able to portray her in a game. But, truthfully, I don't want to see disabilities in the game *because* there is no way that EA could do *any* kind of disability justice nor could it be accurately portrayed in the game.

So, I am sorry that you have had such a fiery introduction to this forum. You might want to think carefully about posting another topic that does not have such controversial subjects. I think you will get a much friendlier reception from your fellow Simmers.

^^ This
    My brother has disabilities, and I definately do not want to see someone with learning difficulties in Sims 3. Disabilities are a HORRIBLE thing, and seeing sims walking round with learning difficulties or with oxygen masks on or whatever wouldn't be nice :/
    edited August 2011

1. Do you take medication to control your epilepsy? Mute point then if you do. My aunt had grand mal epilepsy all of her life so I grew up with it from birth. She would have taken a cure if she could and that is evident in the fact that most, if not all people with epilepsy use gabapentine or a similar drug to lessen the frequency of seizures or to lessen the affect of them.

If you take medication of any kind to help with your epilepsy, then I am not wrong. If you liked it so much, you would just live with it. Nobody wants to be disabled and I don't care what anyone says. I have spoken to many people with a variety of disabilities about this and I can assure you, I've never met one yet who wouldn't want to be different if they could, especially where pain is involved.

Bad eyesight is a disability, even if wearing glasses helps you to see. I got lase eye surgery because I wanted to lessen the amount of disabilities I had, this is a very normal procedure that many people have every day all over the world.

You sit down and think. Say I was to tell you that I could cure your epilepsy now. You would still know all those people you have net before now, but you and them can all be cured and still be friends. Do you say yes, or no? Do they say yes, or no?

2. Almost all of the friends I have that I would go out an socialize with are people I knew when I was 18, so my friends have been my friends for over 30 years and no, my disability was not apparent then. It doesn't make a difference to our friendships now though.

3. In saying that you have to have a disability to meet other people with disabilities, you are downing the people who are completely able bodied but choose to work in that field.

4. Yes I would say that I could have lived my life without meeting some people I have net through disability, especially kids I've known who have died. I could definitely have lived my life without the messing with my head that I went through when talking to parents who's kid died at the age of 10 or 12.

I think some people do have a very narrow knowledge of disabilities and a narrow view. I'm sorry but it isn't all sunshine and roses and poor disabled people. It's a very difficult life for most.

The point here is that this is very off topic now and the main reason for me posting was that most able bodied people could not cope with this in a game without turning the disabled Sims into a point of humour.

I would give anything to be able to go out with my friends and actually get up and dance when I'm asked. I would give anything if my son could even have a partial cure for his autism, purely because I watch him struggle to learn anything, in particular, right now he is desperate to learn to read and write. He's been trying now for about three years. I first got him involved in the sims to try to help him with that reading thing. Also I got him involved to teach him about social situations. For example, when he goes out for a meal or a drink, he thinks it's fine to go up to anyone's table and ask their name, etc. Yes, I'm in Glasgow (Scotland) where this is more acceptable than many places, so people do talk to him and they don't mind. The problem is that not everyone is the same and he does disturb people.

Taking medication does not make it a moot point because medication isent a cure . Oh and i still have seizures despite the fact im on 3 different medications .

Unlike you i was born with my disability and let met tell you grand maul seizures are not fun but like i said if i had my life to do over again without the epilepsy i would pass. I like who i am as a person and the friends i have and i wouldent have many of them or be who i am if it wasent for the fact i have it . this may be hard to wrap your head around but the experiences we have and who we know growing up actually shape who we are . No i think i'll keep my Epilepsy it may not be plesant at times its part of who i am .
    edited August 2011
    People who have read these topics such as the one that was linked to, know that I have a daughter with neuromuscular atrophy who as of this year had to be put on oxygen due to breathing problems. I have been accused of being ashamed of her because I don't want to be able to portray her in a game. But, truthfully, I don't want to see disabilities in the game *because* there is no way that EA could do *any* kind of disability justice nor could it be accurately portrayed in the game.

I didn't know that and I hope that everything goes well for both of you. I know how hard it is to watch someone you love with all your heart and soul go through something like that. You will never be ashamed of her and I'll never be ashamed of my son. That is the very reason why we don't want this in a game. I can just see it now, 'how to kill a mong in 100 different ways' You kn ow as well as I do that those videos would be all over the net and my kid goes on the net looking at video sites.
    Yeah but didn't they added the OPTION to have same-sex couples IF we choose to have them? Didn't they add Gens for the Elders-just for the OPITION to have elders have them? So why can't people have the OPTION of having wheelchairs in a game-if such a thing happened you and the others don't need to use them-its for people like me who WANT to have it.

Shock to your system but Gays aren't disabled because they are gay. I know there are many gays who will have disabilities but being gay in itself is not one of them. Totally different and is not a decent comparison. Though I'm sure you managed to really offend some gay people who may read this.
    I spend a lot of time around disabled people- in Gr.7&8 on Tuesdays&Thursdays I would have lunch in the Special ED classroom across the hall from my classroom and me and 2 other disabled persons-one of those was in a wheelchair-but could wheel himself would help the custodian with the garbage (it was a one-story school). I would dip inside another Special Ed classroom when I wanted to get out of something.

How charitable of you (sarc) You used special needs areas to skip school and that makes you an expert? Please stop, I really am getting terribly offended now.
    Taking medication does not make it a moot point because medication isent a cure . Oh and i still have seizures despite the fact im on 3 different medications .

Yes it does.l If you loved your illness so much, you'd suffer the full onslaught of it. I can assure you that if you thought your next pill could mean you'd never have another seizure, you'd take it. Stop being silly and admit it to yourself if not to me. Everyone wants to be healthy, fact.
    Unlike you i was born with my disability and let met tell you grand maul seizures are not fun

Oh yeah, like I said I grew up with grand mal epilepsy and my daughter had seizures (petite mal) in her early teens. Yeah, I'm really unlucky, mother to two kids with different issues. Oh, my aunt died a couple of years ago and she was only 51, she had one big massive seizure and never recovered, so I do know how serious it is and I know she would have taken a cure to save her life if she'd had a choice. Oh, my daughter also has my blood condition and she will loose her career through it one day. We are more prone to blood clots than your average person, I already had one which threatened my life. My daughter is cabin crew (air hostess) and there will come a day when she will get a clot and she won't be able to fly anymore. I have to get permission from my doctor to fly on holiday. This year I'm grounded as my meds just aren't working right now due to stress. Would I take a cure, you bet your life I would? I know literally thousands of people with disabilities , many with autism, many with MS and even more with a variety of physical and mental disabilities, I've never heard one of them say thy are happy to be that way

Don't b rag about having your epilepsy from birth, it means nothing. I had a life and lost it to this illness, I'm a professional dancer who can't dance, I'm a makeup artist (sfx) who can't work in my chosen career. I lost everything to this illness, it will kill me eventually if the blood clots don't get me first. Anyone who would say they'd chose death over a cure, is quite frankly, off their heads.

A disabled woman (spina bifida,) once told me that it must be harder or me as I know what it's like to be fit and healthy. I was shocked that she saw it that way. I felt it had to be worse for her as I had my family and lived a relatively normal life until 8 years ago. She on the other hand, never had a boyfriend, never had a kid, etc. It is different from both sides, but it's never worse from one side. Her view was that if you never had it, you don 't miss it. Yeah, she would still love to be able to get a cure for her illness. Teaching these women with a variety of illnesses and disabilities taught me a lot. They had been overlooked by society and didn't care about how they looked. Once I taught them that it isn't what pother people see but what you feel inside that matters, they all did regular manicures and washed and styled their hair and did a little makeup to make themselves feel better. I'm proud that I gave that to them and I will return to that job eventually.

During those sessions we had some pretty full on chats, including relationships and wishes and dreams for the future, not one of them wouldn't have traded their illness or disability to be like everyone else.
    No i think i'll keep my Epilepsy it may not be plesant at times its part of who i am .

I'm sorry you think like that, you have a lot of growing to do. Epilepsy is nothing to do with who you are and you would not be a different person without it. All you would gain is more freedom and less worry about your next seizure. You really need to sit down and think about this and maybe even have some counseling. You are you, with or without epilepsy you will always be you. Don't define yourself by a disability, you are so much more than that.

Get a piece of paper and sit in front of a mirror, write a full description of yourself without the word seizure or epilepsy. Ask your friends what they like about you, and what they don't like about you, add it to the list and see the person, epilepsy will not be on the list. Go on, look at your eyes, your hair, everything and describe it. Without epilepsy you would still be all that.
    I like who i am as a person and the friends i have and i wouldent have many of them or be who i am if it wasent for the fact i have it . this may be hard to wrap your head around but the experiences we have and who we know growing up actually shape who we are .

First don't patronise me with the "hard to get your head around this" line, I'm an intelligent person, so it's not hard for me to get my head around anything. You on the other hand are finding the whole concept of you being you with or without epilepsy hard to get your head around.

All those friends, if you got a cure would they still be your friends, or would they dump you? Fact, if it's the second one then they were never your friends. If they have epilepsy, would you all have to make a pact not to take a cure for a debilitating illness to stay friends?

Think about this before you reply. I probably won't even come back to see your reply as you just are not using your head at all here.

End comment. EA will never put disabilities in the game, end of, your argument is futile as it will never happen.

edited August 2011
    your looking at a single brush stroke not the broader picture here. Its about accepting who you are and that your disability is part of you . Maybe you just dont like who you are i dont know but i sure like who i am . Oh and i underwent a Video E.E.G where i was off my meds for 5 days straight so i do know what its like . Dont pretend you know my medical history cause you dont .
    edited August 2011
    I DID not skip school-since at the times I DID duck inside it was a silly stupid thing..the Hokey Pokey day. Maybe you should re-read what I written. I said During lunch time (which was about 45 mintues). And I also went to the same classroom after lunch to use a computer of theirs until an EA was ready for me and 2 other people-we were expemt from French class.

Another thing my church has disabled members-only 1 kid in a wheelchair but the others are learning disabled.

I knew 4 people who were in wheelchairs. But I don't knew two of them very well.

Maybe your should try to understand what I am saying.

1) Same-sex is contrivsal to some people

2)Disablites is constrivsal to some people

I have those 2 things right?

yet we have the OPITION to have same-sex couples if we choose so in our own games so why can't we have the opition of having disabled sims if people choose to have it in their games? (and once I and others stop ranting up it and start sending emails or snail mail to EA and wheelchair groups) you guys don't have to use it when and IF EA ever decides to include it--"story telling" tool?

Coffeefreak's post above me is what I was trying to tell you. That is what me and Dunkwheels and the other OP of another thread (and the deaf person, and the person born with only one leg) has accepted long ago-since we were born with our problems.
    your looking at a single brush stroke not the broader picture here. Its about accepting who you are and that your disability is part of you

I had a darn time of being builled in (late) Elementary school-and early high school-because I was different
    6adMCGP.gif
    edited August 2011
    MadameLee wrote:
    1) Same-sex is contrivsal to some people

2)Disablites is constrivsal to some people

I have those 2 things right?

yet we have the OPITION to have same-sex couples if we choose so in our own games so why can't we have the opition of having disabled sims if people choose to have it in their games?

There is no "option" in The Sims to determine a sim's sexual preference, it is simply left out completely and is not made a feature of the game. Sims have no sexual preference, they simply date whoever we tell them to. EA specifically made it this way so one group would not be bashed or made fun of over another because of a label we give them.
    edited August 2011
    That's just the point-that's the option I been talking about LittleV.
    6adMCGP.gif
    edited August 2011
    MadameLee wrote:
    ....but it's not an option. Did I miss part of the conversation or something?
    edited August 2011
    MadameLee wrote:

An *option* is something you can turn on and off; you can't really do that in The Sims 3. Sims in the Sims 3 are bisexual. The only way that they can have a sexual preference is if the player makes them prefer one sex over another by having them flirt with one gender or another. And even then, story progression makes some couples gay, *even if you don't want that in your game*...or in the case of a gay person who doesn't want straight Sims in their game, they are stuck with straight couples because of story progression; there is nothing optional about that.

There is no way that having disabled Sims or not having disables Sims could be optional in the game. While you, the player, might very well choose to not have a disabled Sim in your game, story progression would ensure that you at least had some "token crips" running around your neighborhood (My daughter's expression, not mine).

So, you hang around disabled people, and that makes you special because...? I love the way you callously disregard those of us who are actually disabled like fluttereyes and CoffeFreak4Life, or who, like myself live with a disabled person and tell us that we are wrong in disagreeing with you because you know what's best for disbled people; namely to have them represented in a videogame that trades heavily on stereotypes and makes fun of those stereotypes.

By now, you're just arguing to win; but it will accomplish nothing. If and when you finally do manage to write to one of the advocacy groups I recommended, I'd be interested in seeing what they tell you. I suspect it's not going to be what you expect.
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • SebruteSebrute Posts: 114 Member
    edited August 2011
    this post was innapropriate so it needed to be deleted

• jeanamariex3jeanamariex3 Posts: 1,274
    edited September 2011
    Dude this whole conversation is offensive. I have learning disabilities, and I certainly wouldn't want that in my Sims nor would this be a way to incorporate LD's it's a fricken game for crying outloud!!!!

Actually, though, I wouldn't mind bringing sicknesses (bugs, allergies, flu) back into the game. If it means Sim's 2 elements, then yes. As far as the ladder goes...dude I miss those days. However, I'm working on a story where Brandi is rewarded for rediscovering the lost resepe for ambrosia and finding Bella and eventually hooks Darren Dreamer up with Kaylynn Langarak, in Carl's Sims 3 Forum. :mrgreen: