Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Best and the Worst of the EPs (for all Sims games)

Comments

• ZooProfessor3ZooProfessor3 Posts: 9,847 Member
    edited August 2011
    The inventor's bench was definitely from Open for Business because the creature in OFB was Servo.
    oow785m
  • LadyDiana721LadyDiana721 Posts: 25 Member
    edited August 2011
    Best:The Sims2 Seasons (my all time favorite) and very close second, The Sims3 Generations.
    Worst:The Sims3 World Adventures and close second, The Sims 2 University.
  • knazzerknazzer Posts: 3,382 Member
    edited August 2011
    Best

Seasons - The expansion changed visually everything in the Sims world, and created a more realistic and cosy world for my Sims to live in.

Open for Business - This expansion was hit and miss with Simmers, but the expansion was a whole new game in itself. It offered some challenging gameplay, but the reward of having a successful business felt great. I sorely miss this dynamic from Ambitions

Worst

Pets - I have a love, hate relationship with this expansion, the Create a Pet was fantastic and the animation well done, but lacked gameplay and very short longevity.

Late Night - The perk was the new city, which I never use due to having my own world, empty bars get boring after a while, and vampires despite there charm get very annoying when you have loads running around town.
  • Nytwng9199Nytwng9199 Posts: 1,420 Member
    edited August 2011
    Freetime - basketball and soccer. Pottery wheel, jogging, sewing machine, ballet bar, old muscle car "shell". Hobbies, secret hobby lots, new pool table, etc. I LOVED free time as well.

Open For Business - toymaking bench (kites, sit and spin, new cool toys!) Florist bench - make fower arrangements. Cooking - back a cake, pie, cheesecake. Mechanical bench - toy robot, servo. I liked the clothes for Open for Business and also liked the fact that my stay at home mom could now run an art store straight out of her home. Since I also had free time, she could sell pottery, pictures, blankets, clothes, toys, and since her cooking level was pretty far up there, she also sold pies and cheesecake! She had her own little store off the side of the house. She had a barista coffee bar, near the bakery area where she sold her baked goods, and the rest of the place was for toys and her artwork. That family made thousands of simoleans. Thousands. LOVE LOVE LOVE that EP

Bon Voyage - Swimming in the ocean (imagine that!:roll: ) looking in the sand, owning a vacation home without having to gain a certain visa level, going on a real vacation, staying at a hotel, learning to firedance and hula dance, learning new handshakes, finding secret lots, big foot, axe throwing and log rolling, raking the rock garden, meditating, playing mahjong, getting a massage, sitting in the sauna, etc! This EP provided hours of entertainment all on its own!

• Liesel93Liesel93 Posts: 84
    edited August 2011
    Gosh this takes some thinking. Some of them feel like a lifetime ago.

For the best I vote Superstar. I wish the same detail had been used in sims 2 and 3 for the Hollywood aspects.
    For worst I'd say Livin' Large. I remember nothing about it whatsoever.
  • SunshineandrozesSunshineandrozes Posts: 799 Member
    edited August 2011
    jtman wrote:
    Never owned an EP in my life. :P

:shock:

I agree! :shock:

GamerWii312: I salute your iron control. I'm pretty much EA's patsy. I knew before I bought it that Generations wasn't my cup of tea, but I never even considered NOT getting it. :-)

Same here...always seem to buy everything. I own all EP's and/or SP's for the Sims 1, 2 and 3. Had said I wasn't going to get the Sims 3 Pets, but then saw that it had a horse....lol. I mean $40 for a horse is resonable right!?! :lol: So, now it's pre-ordered. Glad I did though, as the new world looks pretty nice and being able to control the pets will be a plus too.

@GamerWii312, glad you can still play the game without the add-ons. :shock: Without the additional features and content, I would have stopped playing a long time ago.

Now back on topic....

Best EP(s):
    Open for Business (Sims 2)
    World Adventures (Sims 3)

Worst EP(s):
    Pets (Sims 2)....so annoying!!
    Late Night (Sims 3)....this EP has great content and a lot of promise, but with all the bugs, celeb and Vampire infestation, it's an absolute nightmare unless you use a mod to clear up issues. This EP is the reason I'm using mods for the first time...ever!
  • DanibleeDaniblee Posts: 2,429 New Member
    edited August 2011
    Best: Sims 2 pets, Im just a really huge animal person and love the idea of breeding animals.

Worst: Hmm... World Adventures. I just didnt like it. I uninstalled it like thirty minutes after installing it.
  • xStimmedxxStimmedx Posts: 53
    edited August 2011
    Sims 2 Freetime added so much to game play. Its only flaw for me was being in the zone. Uni also gets a mention, i wish they made the Teens in Generations walk like they did in Uni, and the Bubble blower flattens the Late Night version, chocolate chuckles... are you serious? They laughed so much in Uni i laughed with them! But Seasons brought their world to life and affected every Sim on every lot to where you became more involved. Sims getting too much sun or freezing in the cold, something entertaining happened during every Season. Christmas was a blast!

Sims 2 Pets was very shallow, World Adventures only enters my games as wishes, once you have been everywhere it gets old, but Generations is a scam followed closely by Late Night that has a major hang up for me in getting around town, redeemed only by playing in another hood which makes Bridgeport obsolete.

Best, Sims 2 Seasons.

Worst, Generations.

I hope as the series continues they make more things matter from the Eps, both current and yet to come.
  • tallcoolonetallcoolone Posts: 6,918 Member
    edited August 2011
    Best - Open For Business

Worst - Apartment Life gave no option for witches not to show up on community lots and they ruined Open For Business. I had to uninstall it.

Weakest is definately Generations unless you really like the Imaginary Friends.

My Page https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/tallcoolone
    Send me a friend request for Simport

• Halle_MHalle_M Posts: 6,539 Member
    edited August 2011
    Best: The "Pets" expansion that's about to come out. It looks freaking awesome. Every time I check back, they've added more animals and gameplay, and the town that comes with it is absolutely amazing. I know I haven't played it yet, but it's going to be my favorite, even with the bugs I'm sure it will have. The best for Sims 2 was Seasons, and the best for Sims 1 was Makin' Magic.

Worst: I don't have a "worst," I just hate all of the game-breaking glitches that seem to be an integral part of each Sims 3 expansion now. All of the expansions, from every series, has added cool stuff. I can't think of any that I didn't want or would have uninstalled.

• Maximilian1996Maximilian1996 Posts: 1,412 New Member
    edited August 2011
    Worst: Generations
    Best: Either Nightlife, Late Night or Vacation
  • XDarkFrostXXDarkFrostX Posts: 789 New Member
    edited August 2011
    best: sims 2 seasons
    Worst: world adventures
  • SZ5061SZ5061 Posts: 29 Member
    edited August 2011
    ive never played the sims 3 cause of my slow computer so im just gunna put my best and worst for the sims 1 and the sims 2....

The Sims 1
    Best: Vacation....i love this expansion pack.
    Worst: Superstar....i never understood how to become a superstar.

The Sims 2 (EP)
    Best: Seasons....i like the weather and having your own garden.
    Worst: University....took too much time to get through college.

The Sims 2 (SP)
    Best: Happy Holiday Stuff....this stuff pack goes great with seasons!
    Worst: Celebration Stuff....never got why they made it.
  • PurplePeacockPurplePeacock Posts: 914 New Member
    edited August 2011
    Best: Open for Business! Because although I loved seasons, I loved the independance Business gave, of course pets was awesome too.
    Worst:World adventures, after much thought. It could have been nightlife but that came with too much cool stuff like cars and clothes. World adventures is okay now, but at first it was like, ***? this is sims!! not some random rpg.
  • EN55EN55 Posts: 1,270 New Member
    edited August 2011
    One word...

SUPERSTAR

anyone who says otherwise obviously hasn't played it.
    edited August 2011
    Reading all these posts makes me want to go dust off my old games and play awhile in both Sims 1 and Sims 2.

If I just didn't have a JOB and all the time it takes away from my Simming, I could get my fix of all the Sims games. Sigh. I guess I'll stick with Sims 3 since it's all I have time for if I'm going to be forced to go to work in order to afford all the cool stuff I need for Sims. :-)

EA should be reading this thread. Superstar got a lot of votes for "best" and I'm not seeing anyone say that they were impressed with Late Night's version of celebrities.

A lot of people have mentioned in the "worst" catagory that they only dislike this or that EP because of bugs and gameplay issues (Late Night is frequently mentioned here), so there is clearly some work to be done by our game-maker here.

"Open for Business" was also mentioned in the "best" catagory (either as the final choice, or as one of the EPs the Simmer was choosing between to make the final choice for the best EP). No one seems to feel that Ambitions is enough to replace the gameplay aspects that are missing here, either. So maybe EA should consider adding the ability for Sims to own and run a retail operation back into another EP down the road somewhere.

So far, it seems as if the Sims 3 versions of EPs reproduced from earlier Sims games are suffering by comparison, though that is not universially true. Some people really hate World Adventures (which is somewhat like Vacation and Bon Voyage, though not exactly), but some people also chose it as the best EP of them all. I think the RPG elements here are twinging for some Simmers while some of us really enjoy this little dash of quests and directly gameplay in our Sims game (so long as we don't HAVE to do them).

The fact that WA travel can cause game-breaking instability (cloned Sims and the like) also kept this EP off the best list for some Simmers.

The community seems to have very high hopes for Sims 3 Pets because even though the EP hasn't yet been released some people are already choosing it as their "best".

This has been a really interesting thread to read. There are a lot of diverse opinions, so please feel free to add yours!
    oow785m
  • Zango11Zango11 Posts: 133 Member
    edited August 2011
    Never got an EP from The Sims 1 or 3. I only have all the EP's for The Sims 2. (do have SP's for TS3 though :D )so with that in mind;

Best: This is a tough one but probably Apartment Life. I loved the apartments and butlers! I loved them probably more than anything else in that EP. :shock: I also loved having roomies and helicopters 8) 8) 8) So Apartment life is my personal favorite, closely followed by Free time and Uni.

Worst: Nightlife -Never went Downtown much because of the millions of loading screens and all the places were quite boring unless your Sim was on a group outing or date, so that EP was quite useless for me.(Partly why I haven't bought Late Night even though it's probably a lot better.) Although I liked some of the outfits.

But in about 3months time I bet my favorite will be TS3 Pets. It looks amazing and the one thing I'd always loved was horses :D:D:D Also Hope to also buy TS1. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • GamerWii312GamerWii312 Posts: 383 Member
    edited August 2011
    jtman wrote:

GamerWii312: I salute your iron control. I'm pretty much EA's patsy. I knew before I bought it that Generations wasn't my cup of tea, but I never even considered NOT getting it. :-)

Same here...always seem to buy everything. I own all EP's and/or SP's for the Sims 1, 2 and 3. Had said I wasn't going to get the Sims 3 Pets, but then saw that it had a horse....lol. I mean $40 for a horse is resonable right!?! :lol: So, now it's pre-ordered. Glad I did though, as the new world looks pretty nice and being able to control the pets will be a plus too.

@GamerWii312, glad you can still play the game without the add-ons. :shock: Without the additional features and content, I would have stopped playing a long time ago.

Without add-ons (though the occasional item from the store & some CC) I seem to get along just fine. :P
    edited August 2011
    jtman wrote:

Without add-ons (though the occasional item from the store & some CC) I seem to get along just fine. :P

Good for you! You must be using your imagination and creativity to keep your game fresh even without new stuff.
    oow785m
  • Aqua98Aqua98 Posts: 514
    edited August 2011
    Best: Seasons. Before buying I thought it would be bad but there is so much stuff to do and it is really fun!

Worst: World adventures. I hated the way you had to do adventures to get stuff also going away with more than one sim didn't really work.
  • Aqua98Aqua98 Posts: 514
    edited August 2011
    The thing with Generations is that if they had included most of the things with the base game the base game would have been amazing!
    edited August 2011
    Aqua98 wrote:
    The thing with Generations is that if they had included most of the things with the base game the base game would have been amazing!

It certainly would have made the base game better and it shouldn't have been that much to add to the base game since it was way too small (in my opinion) in terms of content for an EP.

I think EA would have much happier customers if they thought about the value argument when selling us stuff. I am willing to pay higher price tags for games that are chocked full of stuff and WHICH WORK AS INTENDED.
    oow785m
  • jaywhittjaywhitt Posts: 662 New Member
    edited August 2011
    Worst: Unleased
    Best: Makin Magic
  • lestatsoul3lestatsoul3 Posts: 54 Member
    edited August 2011
    Worst: Celebrity
    Best: Apartment Life
  • jaywhittjaywhitt Posts: 662 New Member
    edited August 2011
    Worst: Celebrity