Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Canvas: Finale Scores Posted!!!!! Page 52

Comments

• KelleD014KelleD014 Posts: 2,829 New Member
    edited August 2011
    wanna share your ideas cuz i have no freakin clue what to do xD
  • SpychipSpychip Posts: 804
    edited August 2011
    I'd totally sign up for cycle 2 :-o :)
  • JKAmaryllisJKAmaryllis Posts: 3,741 Member
    edited August 2011
    :D awesome. Can't remember if I said here but I want to wait till people have gotten a little used to school... so might need some feedback with that one ;)

And kelle and Fish: you two will come up with something awesome I know. You've got lots of time. Goin out of town Thursday :D
    jz8tDGb.png
    Steam: JKAmaryllis
  • amieechuamieechu Posts: 947 Member
    edited August 2011
    Buuummppp.
  • SimanimsSimanims Posts: 1,603 New Member
    edited August 2011
    I'm leaving for London soon, so I'm not going to be around till the 22nd. hehe when I come back I wanna see your awesome entries xD
    edited August 2011
    Same!! Well sadly not the part about London lol.
    jz8tDGb.png
    edited August 2011
    sorry i havent gotten any in, i havent had much time to work on them since ive been home, but i have been slowly working on my abstract pic xD im gonna try to get em in soon, promise! sorry for makin everyone wait D:
    edited August 2011
    Hehe well I'm still not quite home yet. Cant wait to see though.
    jz8tDGb.png
  • FishGirl4FishGirl4 Posts: 4,415 New Member
    edited August 2011
    School started this week and I'm still adjusting to all the hectic change going on. I can promise it by Friday night if that's alright >.<
    edited August 2011
    Thats fine :)
    jz8tDGb.png
    edited August 2011
    ok here is one of mine, im struggling pretty hardcore with the cover art one. i just cant think of anything xD sorry for holding everyone up!

-Abstract- abstractviolin2.png
  • CeleSeraphymCeleSeraphym Posts: 2,316 Member
    edited August 2011
    Lookin' good everyone! :mrgreen: And dang, I wish I was going somewhere lol! Take me with you next time :XD:
    vLDcu1q.png
    "If you don't talk to your cat about catnip... who will?"

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
    edited August 2011
    Awesome :D
    jz8tDGb.png
    edited August 2011
    Will be in tonight.
    edited August 2011
    I had some fun with this one. I figured it was the chance to do something out of the ordinary.

Abstract:
    Assignment10-1.png"width=600"

The reason it took me so long to get this in was school. This is my last competition, and after the finals end I'll be leaving the community for good or at least a year. I just wanted to thank JK for having this amazing competition it really changed how I did simotography. Everyone in this competition was fantastic and I was honored to compete with you all.
  • PistolkittenPistolkitten Posts: 5,413 New Member
    edited August 2011
    Awww really sad to here your leaving us for that long Izzy but goodluck with school!
    edited August 2011
    Same! I really hate to see you go but I'm so happy that you've enjoyed this!
    jz8tDGb.png
    edited August 2011
    Updated post with entries. Will try to contact Kelle later today when she might be awake to see what's up
    jz8tDGb.png
    edited August 2011
    im here, im sorry im taking forever but now that im back home and working and babysitting and trying to help around the house i have next to no time to do a pic, and on top of that i cant even think of something to do for it xD if i dont turn something in within the next couple of days just go ahead and judge and stuff, i dont want to hold you all up any longer >.< this part of the final is really kicking my butt
    edited August 2011
    here is my cover art picture, a friend helped me come up with this idea, i was totally stumped at what to do, so thanks darian lol

here is the original painting...

frag_stol.jpg

and here is my cover of it

nightclubkiss-2.jpg

edited August 2011
    Yay kelle! I'll begin scoring when I get home maybe after a nap
    jz8tDGb.png
  • CeleSeraphymCeleSeraphym Posts: 2,316 Member
    edited August 2011
    Sweet, will finish my scores today :)

All of you guys have worked your booties off! Good luck guys
    vLDcu1q.png
    "If you don't talk to your cat about catnip... who will?"

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
    edited August 2011
    :D
    trying to score but brain is tired xD lol

NOT EASY xD
    jz8tDGb.png
    edited August 2011
    Don't kill me! I have scores from Cel, and mine are done, but I had a job interview after a 12 hour shift and I have to work another 12 hour shift tonight. I need to sleep xD. I'll post everything tomorrow :D Along with the three siggies. I really hope you like them :D (gotta finish those too) xD
    jz8tDGb.png
    edited August 2011
    CanvasFinaleTitle.jpg

FinalArtists.jpg

CanvasJudges.jpg

JKAmaryllis

CeleSeraphym

CanvasAnnounce.jpg

I just want to thank each and every person that was involved in this! ALL of the participants, ALL of the guest judges and ALL of the lurkers for their time! I really enjoyed this and I hope everyone else did as well. You guys really rocked this comp and there were sooooooo many rounds that were just so hard to judge because you guys blew the assignments out of the water! Anyway I know you want to know who won and scores soooooo I'll show the siggies (hope you don't hate them lol) and then scores:

SimanimsSig.jpg
    IzzySig.jpg
    KelleSig.jpg

CanvasScores.jpg

Simanims.jpg

canvasfinal1.jpg
    canvasfinal2.jpg

JKA:
    Creativity: 27
    Relevance: 28
    Quality/Composition: 28
    Total: 83
    Comments: I'm seriously just speechless with your abstract pic. Something I never would have thought about and wow just such a soft fresh color scheme. Idk how you do it! It really looks like art someone would have framed on their wall! The ONE and ONLY thing that I'm not crazy about is the water coming from her left eye. (The waterfall is awesome) but there is just something about the water from the other one I'm not crazy about. I think the pic would have been better without it. Somehow youve even managed to make your sim look painted which makes it blend really well with the rest of the picture.

Your Lady of Shallott picture is stunning as well! Just so many lush details to look at and I'm just in love with the colors. You did a great job with the tapestries, though that pink one looks to be floating a bit in the boat. I think you did a fabulous job imitating the original pic, but I would have loved to see some kind of original twist to it. Not necessarily making it modern, but maybe in a different time frame or setting.

CeleSeraphym:
    -Surreal-
    Compositing is very creative and well put-together. The entire piece has a dreamy look to it. The abstract 'waves' and clouds work well, and you did an excellent job choosing soft, muted colors (both which work well with water and air). This was an incredibly creative idea with great execution overall. I'm seeing a bit more sea than sky (especially with the watery tears, and the model obscuring much of the sky), and it would be great to see more of a balance of the two. The heavy-flowing tears falling from the right eye (our left) might possibly work better coming from the opposite eye, flowing directly into the swelling waves below. The position they're in now creates a sort of vertical block - it's a vertical that interrupts the continuous flow of the picture...waves have movement, and there is movement in air also. You mentioned that the sea and sky 'work together through water', and that's exactly what this should portray, that never-ending continuous, flowing cycle of the two. Also, I would LOVE to see a slightly different expression on the face - nothing overpowering, but something with a very gentle, subtle emotion, or even a soft pout of the lips. Maybe something that gives her a very subtle fragile or tragic, mysterious look. Overall, this is one of the best sim pictures I've seen in a long time -- I can see the hard work put into it, and I think it's a job very very well done. Simply beautiful, like a breath of soft air.

Creativity: 30
    Relevance: 30
    Quality/Composition: 27

Total: 87

-Cover-
    Good composition overall, *excellent* choice of in-game objects. This is a very creative depiction of the original painting. You have a good sense of depth with the waterway flowing into the back of the picture. Good costuming, and nice addition of "worn" details, reminds me of an old picture or book cover. The worn vertical lines on the left-hand side are a bit distracting, so I'd fade them a bit, and/or break up the lines some. I would love to see more emotion from the model, which would give the entire piece more feeling, and would tell more of a story. In the original painting, the Lady has a very simple pose and an unmistakably forlorn expression, but the picture has a great amount of emotion because of it. If she were sitting perfectly still and stiff with a blank forward-stare, it wouldn't convey the same feel. Pretty? Absolutely. But lacking just a bit of that *something* that gives it meaning, depth, emotion. That *something* that makes you look twice at it, makes you question what she is feeling and thinking (the viewer feeling it too), where is she going, what is going on. So beautiful, yet so somber...why? What I would love to see from your version is more of that, done with expression and also lighting, coloring, and shading. Also, your picture is absolutely beautiful, a beautiful depiction. But it would have been an excellent opportunity to really put your own spin on the original subject. Maybe she's in a bedroom and everything LOOKS like the original outdoor scene (with colors and choice of cc) but it is inside. Or maybe even she's a goth chick floating in the boat or a wheelbarrow or a submerged car, lying on a bed of skulls and swords, with little daggers in place of the candles. Anything that would be your own interpretation rather than a direct depiction, beautiful as the depiction is.

Creativity: 29
    Relevance: 29
    Quality/Composition: 25

Total: 83

Cel's COMBINED TOTAL = 170

Total: 253

FishGirl4.jpg

Assignment9-1.png
    Assignment10-1.png

JKA:
    Creativity: 22
    Relevance: 27
    Quality/Composition: 26
    Total: 75
    Comments: You totally got what I wanted with the cover art! I knew exactly which painting it was when I saw it, but totally love the twist! Her pose is good, I kinda feel like she's bored or waiting for something... which is okay since there wasn't much emotion in the original either. I'm not crazy about the pink cushin on the chair.. I think it's a little abrupt and doesnt really go with the rset of the color scheme of the picture, and in general I honestly wish you'd chosen something a little more difficult... You've got the talent in you to do more I know!

As for the Abstract pic I kind of went back and forth on this. I sorta wish the rest of the picture was more pronounced... I can't tell if it's actually an object or just a random background.. But I am fascinated by it. I think I'd rather have seen somethign that while unique and wild, still had a tangible, meaningful picture with a kind of mind blowing twist to it. In fact I would love to see what this would have looked like without the filter.

CeleSeraphym:
    -Surreal-
    This is a very creative, head-tilting abstract. The kaleidoscope of colors work beautifully, and the figure in the center doesn't get lost in it all. It's so....*daring*. Dark and curious. It's very hard to break down into a critique...abstract and surreal pictures can be so many different things. There are a few curved lines/structures in the background that almost simulate a tunnel or vortex, as if your model is flying through. I would love to see a bit more of that spinning effect - it would give the picture a little more movement, more of a sense of speeding flight. There are tons of ways to play around with this, amost too many! Very interesting picture.

Creativity: 28
    Quality/Composition: 24

Total: 82

-Cover-
    Excellent interpretation of the original picture. You took it in your own direction, and it worked out beautifully. "The Whistler's Mother" is known for being a painting with great balance of elements (the woman, the painting, the curtain), and your interpretation has a good balance also. Great modern feel, and good subtle emotion. I love the use of colors, they all seem to work well together - nothing too distracting, though the blue painting pushes it juuuust a touch. This looks more like an artistic picture than a basic modeling shot which is GREAT. Maybe a little heavy on the vignetting, a little too dark, especially considering how much shine is on her hair. But it definitely adds to the quiet, somber mood of the overall picture. This is one of the best ones you've done, in my opinion, especially considering the source of inspiration. Excellent job.

Creativity: 29
    Quality/Composition: 27

Total: 86

Cel's COMBINED TOTAL = 168

Total: 243

KelleD014.jpg

abstractviolin2.png
    nightclubkiss-2.jpg

JKA:
    Creativity: 25
    Relevancve: 27
    Quality/Composition: 22
    Total: 74
    Comments: I think you did a really great job with the abstract pic! I love that you made your sim work with the color scheme of the background without her blending in TOO much. I like also that she ISN'T totally the focus of the picture. Like she just happens to be caught up in the music, but the music iself is the focus. The two things that are detracting from this pic though are her dress and pose. The dress I think because of the lighting of the shot looks kind of like it was drawn on her with a sharpee. (I know it wasn't though hehe). And then the pose in itself is great but you gotta watch because sometimes with these poses the sims' joints are all wonky.

As for your cover art pic I liked the parallel with the shyness and innocence of the kiss but in a different setting with a more modern and alternative couple. The pose is a great parallel! Honestly though I do feel like the privacy of the kiss was sorta lost in the public venue of the nightclub. I also kind of feel like the one girls' purple hair was lost in the setting.

CeleSeraphym:
    -Surreal-
    Very BOLD picture, dramatic with the black and yellow and red-orange tones. It has a lot of movement - curves and bends and falling strings, and good composition. The ballerina is beautiful, and is positioned well. I like the blurry strings on the left side in front - it helps with the depth of the entire picture, along with the faded scales in the backdrop. The broken-up violin is an excellent touch. The picture as a whole is a little close to looking like a model plastered onto a background. The uniform coloring (the model + the background) helps a lot though. It would be interesting to see her interacting with the music bars, maybe having her arms weaved in between a few of them (drawing on black missing areas where a bar would be covering her arm). Perhaps a little more dark shading on the parts of her body that are already shadowed would give her a similar bold, popping look. This is just a very striking, dramatic piece, one of the very best, if not THE best, I've ever seen you create. Beautiful job.

Creativity 29 pts
    Relevance to assignment 30 pts
    Quality/composition 27 pts

Total: 86

-Cover-
    I like the colors (me + purple = love), and the modernized interpretation. I know you struggled INTENSELY on an idea for this one, but you picked a good subject and took an interesting approach. The vignette helps focus the picture on the action. I think that if the green-haired woman had been looking away from her partner, maybe as if she were afraid of them getting caught, it would have given the picture a little more drama, and been a little more in line with the feel of original painting; something that would create more of a sense of danger, something forbidden, titillating, sneaking around, a quick display of affection before anyone notices. A more dramatic shading on the purple-haired model might have helped with the concept of her 'peeping out of the shadows' for a quick peck, or some sort of mod-styled room divider or fencing.

Creativity 26 pts
    Relevance to assignment 30 pts
    Quality/composition 21 pts

Total: 77

Cel's COMBINED TOTAL = 163

Total: 237

A note on Cycle Two:

I will not be starting it right away, however I want to make an announcement regarding judge selection. I am going to have a permanent judge with me and may have a guest judge once in a while. I actually want to have auditions for this judge by posting a picture and having those interested judge that picture. I will choose the person I feel has the best constructive feedback!
    jz8tDGb.png