Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A possible problem between Create a World and Pets

I would like to suggest that there may be a problem that we as world builders will have to face with the next expansion pack (Pets). Now we have been briefly told about the wild animals such as deer’s, horses and raccoons however haven’t been told about how the they spawn. Now from what EA and The Sims Studio have shown via the trailers is that they simply just appear and run amuck around the world. Now this may look good in the new neighbourhood that we are getting as everything fits in place but say in a city setting things would get quite odd.

To delve deeper into this example think of jay6754’s London world. It’s a densely packed city so obviously having wild horses spawning in this world, just roaming across town would cause issues (although I must say the idea of that happening would be quite funny to see in game I guess). This is why we should be able to set what animals we want to spawn and where we want them to spawn. Now when I say animals I don’t mean like cats or the dogs or even if we could set the critters that were getting as well (that would be nice though so we can set snakes and lizards in a tropical or desert world), I mean like the horses, deer’s and raccoons. The world I’m currently working on is not suited to have deer’s and horses just spawn anywhere, there won’t even be that much room to have a family have a horse. However raccoon’s would at least fit in my little suburbia section so as you can see having the option to set where and what animals that I would like to have spawn would be great for planning the world and its story which The Sims 3 is built upon. I am sorry to use my world as an example but go through the worlds of your own (or EA’s if you want) and you to will be able to see what I mean and can understand why I am posting about this.

Now for the intentions, from what we have been told time and time again is that the developers do come and check the forums to see what the players are saying and with that I intend to get this seen by the developers so that they can have a think about this and consider it in the next update for Create a World. I also intend to have this posted in three different locations (the Create a World section, the Pets section and the Ideas & Feedback section) on the forums so that it not only has a greater chance of being read, but also a greater chance of having different players voice their opinion on the subject and anything else that they may want to add to it.

P.S. I apologise for any grammar errors in this post, I did my best to get rid of most so it might just be the little things I missed.

Comments

• ILOVEKITTIESLOTSILOVEKITTIESLOTS Posts: 14
    edited August 2011
    I truly understand where you're coming from, but i think it'll work how it does in the simcity. In Simcity 4, there's a "Fauna" option where you just click a general area where you want the animals to be and they stay in it.
    Actually, now that I think of it, what they'll probably use is a spawner for BuyDeBug that'll spawn strays and deer and whatnot. You know what I'm talking about right?
  • AquiasAquias Posts: 1,742 New Member
    edited August 2011
    I'm sure we will be able to choose where we want the wild animals to spawn. If it was completely random then that would cause a lot of issues.
  • Glic2003Glic2003 Posts: 2,933 Member
    edited August 2011
    Aquias wrote:
    I'm sure we will be able to choose where we want the wild animals to spawn. If it was completely random then that would cause a lot of issues.

Yeah, and it's not like EA would ever add something to the game that causes a lot of issues. Oh...wait... ;)
    simsig_willwright.gif

"We've been attributing the state of The Sims 4 to greed but I think it's time to give sheer incompetence another look."
    -Honeywell
  • Verbaltee99Verbaltee99 Posts: 403 New Member
    edited September 2011
    Some new information and I guess the conclusion to the query.

http://www.simprograms.com/35279/no-deer-racoons-or-wild-horses-in-bridgeport/

It seems Graham announced that they won’t spawn in Bridgeport which means (as they reported) that worlds classified as a city (logo city, not just ‘Oh yea my worlds a city *puts down a few shells*’) will not have animals spawn. Thus it is in the worlds coding that controls them which therefore means no spawners for the wild animals. However they still haven’t said much about the critters from what I have seen so they may in fact (and hope) that they will be spawners otherwise if their coding too, things might get a bit tricky.
  • fluttereyesfluttereyes Posts: 2,337 Member
    edited September 2011
    I posted over on that link and I have to say this could well put me off even getting Pets. For one thing, most user made worlds have mixtures of country and city areas and all worlds, including country ones do have a high street for shops, etc. This is no solution at all.

Here's what I posted on the place you linked
    This is garbage and does nothing for us.

I've been complaining about this since Pets was announced and have been mostly ignored. I can see some real issues here.

The problem is that it will only be EA's city world that we can control them in, they have not given us the ability to select a world type in CAW, so all user made worlds are fair game to horses running down the main street.

They gave us CAW, so they could at least give us the ability to control it.

The way they are doing it means that we'd never have them in any City world at all, I asked them to do a spawner for them that is on a radius of a specific distance, that way we place it where we want them to stay, and we can have them in any world. This is not a valid solution.

This is like death for world creators and as that's all I'm using the game for right now, this whole situation is ridiculous to me.

When I first raised this as an issue nobody listened and all said "no we'll be able to place the spawner, etc, blah,blah". We then got told that we would be able to keep them off lots with a stupid gnome, yes every lot would need to have a gnome, even nightclubs, eh?

A spawner that's on a radius with a specific distance they could wander would help and failing that they could give us an object for CAW that we can place in the world to stop them spawning in specific areas. This way, we can never control them unless we buy cities from EA or play that awful Bridgeport all the time, and if we do play Bridgeport, we won't even have the wild animals in the suburban areas. I really wish they would sit down and chat about these things before storming on, or they should at least have taken my numerous, previous posts on it into account. There is no need for this bad solution, there are easier ways that would suit everyone.

Looks like we'll have to hope Twallan can sort out another mess by EA again.

• ConorsimConorsim Posts: 5,890 Member
    edited September 2011
    No, I don't think it's a possible problem. I think it WILL be a problem. And a major one at that. Knowing EA, and judging from past features, whatever they'll do to "spawn" animals will be disasterous. But of course I'm wrong. I always am.

• fluttereyesfluttereyes Posts: 2,337 Member
    edited September 2011
    Conor, you and I have seen this problem coming for a long time and it's only now that people are picking up on it.

How is this going to solve anything? All we wanted was to control where in a world they can go, not ban them from worlds completely.

Seriously, I just think a bit of a chat over a coffee with a group of people and taking into account things people like us have been saying, could have come up with a better solution.

I really can't believe they've done this, this is even worse to me. As I have no way to choose city as the world type, then all worlds I make will STILL have the issues we can foresee. I'm thinking I should just forget about buying Pets altogether as it will just put me right off the game, I'm already getting there anyway. I've been waiting since base game for Pets too as it was my number 1 EP, so for me, it looks like the games now a total bust.