This site has entered read-only mode as of July 18th. The new Forums.EA.com are now live.

OSX Lion and TS3 - Patch released, fixes graphics issue, causes problems with Town Life, GURUS?

Comments

  • Options
    QueenDivettaQueenDivetta Posts: 1,332 Member
    edited August 2011
    Did we ever hear anything about whether or not these graphics cards would work on Snow Leopard with the next Eps coming out? Because I talked to someone on chat and they said all should be fine. I'm gonna go ask the same thing to another person on chat right now so I know they understand what I'm asking because I couldn't figure out if this lady did or not, but here's the conversation:

    Hi, my name is Melissa. How may I help you?
    Me: Hi. I have a question about the support for Macs for Sims 3 and Sims Medieval Expansion packs.
    Melissa: Could you please be more specific about the issue?
    Me: I currently have a partition of my hard drive which is set to run Sims 3 and Sims Medieval in Snow Leopard since Lion makes my games unplayable (as I know you are aware). The games work fine on Snow Leopard, as do the latest patches for both games. However, I heard rumor that EA is dropping support for certain NVIDIA graphics cards, one of which is mine. If I continue to run my games under Snow Leopard, will future Expansion Packs and Adventure packs for the Sims games still work on my computer?
    Melissa: Can you please stay online while I investigate this issue further?
    Me: My graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB. If I run the game on Snow Leopard, will the next expansion packs for both games (Pirates and Nobles for Medieval, Pets for Sims 3) work on my computer?
    Me: Sure
    Me: I have both of these new Eps preordered and if they're not going to work on my computer, I need to cancel them. That's why I'm asking. But I need to know whether or not they'll work before I make any further action as far as that goes, so do not cancel them yet please
    Melissa: We will support it for future games also.
    Me: Really?
    Melissa: Yes.
    Me: So the new Eps coming out in the next months will work with my current graphics card that I posted above?
    Melissa: Could you please be more specific about the issue?
    Me: My graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB. If I run the games on Snow Leopard with that graphics card, will the expansion packs (Sims Medieval Pirates and Nobles and Sims 3 Pets) work?
    Melissa: Sure.

    The rest was just the typical closing comments. So I'm gonna go ask again now, but I thought you guys would like to know this little tidbit
  • Options
    caspinwallcaspinwall Posts: 916 Member
    edited August 2011
    I think you might want to remove your email address - or brace yourself for a lot of spam!

    Caspin
    GeneralSig_SF_03.png
  • Options
    QueenDivettaQueenDivetta Posts: 1,332 Member
    edited August 2011
    caspinwall wrote:
    I think you might want to remove your email address - or brace yourself for a lot of spam!

    Caspin

    Thank you! Hadn't thought of that.
  • Options
    MyrsinieMyrsinie Posts: 5
    edited August 2011
    Hello there,
    I;ve been having the same problem since upgrading to Lion, do we have any solutions as of yet?
    I can't really re-install Snow Leopard cause I lost my CD:(

    The specs of my laptop are:

    Processor 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB
    Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7
  • Options
    QueenDivettaQueenDivetta Posts: 1,332 Member
    edited August 2011
    Oh, another update... the newest Sims Medieval patch (released after Lion and Town Life Stuff) works on my Snow Leopard partition. Are people on Snow Leopard not experiencing issues with Town Life? Does this mean the new Eps will work on my Snow Leopard partition?
  • Options
    MyrsinieMyrsinie Posts: 5
    edited August 2011
    Oh, another update... the newest Sims Medieval patch (released after Lion and Town Life Stuff) works on my Snow Leopard partition. Are people on Snow Leopard not experiencing issues with Town Life? Does this mean the new Eps will work on my Snow Leopard partition?

    Hey, could you please explain how we can do the Snow Leopard partition?..
  • Options
    QueenDivettaQueenDivetta Posts: 1,332 Member
    edited August 2011
    Myrsinie wrote:
    Hey, could you please explain how we can do the Snow Leopard partition?..

    Sure. It's actually very easy. Here are the steps:

    1) Back up your saves!! I used Time Machine and it was fast and easy. You can also use a USB by copying your Saves file and dropping it on a USB to replace later.
    2) Open Disk Utility (you can Spotlight search it to get there fast, or go to Finder/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility)
    3) Select the first option on the left hand menu (it should be the size of your hard drive and then a code).
    4) Click "Partition" in the middle menu that comes up
    5) Click the "+" button under the visual rep of your hard drive to add a partition.
    6) Drag the center bar with a circle up or down to change the size.
    7) Click "Partition" and wait for it to finish.
    8) Insert your Snow Leopard disk (it has to be the actual disk you got with your computer)
    9) Shut down your computer via the Apple menu
    10) When restarting, hold down the C key
    11) You will be brought to the installation for Snow Leopard. Choose to install it on your new partition and follow the on screen installation process.
    12) Install your Sims games on this new partition WITHOUT upgrading to Lion
    13) Test your game pre-patch. Turn off your Wi-Fi and play the game for 10-15 minutes on a brand new game with no CC and no patches to make sure it's running.
    14) Exit, patch (I was able to patch to the very latest update and still play just fine) and test again.
    15) Assuming everything is running, you can now replace your saves and CC.

    If anyone has any questions let me know!
  • Options
    MyrsinieMyrsinie Posts: 5
    edited August 2011
    Myrsinie wrote:
    Hey, could you please explain how we can do the Snow Leopard partition?..

    Sure. It's actually very easy. Here are the steps:

    1) Back up your saves!! I used Time Machine and it was fast and easy. You can also use a USB by copying your Saves file and dropping it on a USB to replace later.
    2) Open Disk Utility (you can Spotlight search it to get there fast, or go to Finder/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility)
    3) Select the first option on the left hand menu (it should be the size of your hard drive and then a code).
    4) Click "Partition" in the middle menu that comes up
    5) Click the "+" button under the visual rep of your hard drive to add a partition.
    6) Drag the center bar with a circle up or down to change the size.
    7) Click "Partition" and wait for it to finish.
    8) Insert your Snow Leopard disk (it has to be the actual disk you got with your computer)
    9) Shut down your computer via the Apple menu
    10) When restarting, hold down the C key
    11) You will be brought to the installation for Snow Leopard. Choose to install it on your new partition and follow the on screen installation process.
    12) Install your Sims games on this new partition WITHOUT upgrading to Lion
    13) Test your game pre-patch. Turn off your Wi-Fi and play the game for 10-15 minutes on a brand new game with no CC and no patches to make sure it's running.
    14) Exit, patch (I was able to patch to the very latest update and still play just fine) and test again.
    15) Assuming everything is running, you can now replace your saves and CC.

    If anyone has any questions let me know!

    Thank you so much! I lost my CD a long time ago though:( i think my mom threw it away with the macbook box:(
    Do you think if i buy another Snow Leopard CD it would work?...
  • Options
    Zarah888Zarah888 Posts: 329
    edited August 2011
    EDIT: Dang it, someone got to it first... :-)
    Myrsinie wrote:
    Oh, another update... the newest Sims Medieval patch (released after Lion and Town Life Stuff) works on my Snow Leopard partition. Are people on Snow Leopard not experiencing issues with Town Life? Does this mean the new Eps will work on my Snow Leopard partition?

    Hey, could you please explain how we can do the Snow Leopard partition?..

    You'll need the Snow Leopard disk to install it this way. If you lost it, then I can't really help you there. :?

    1. Go to Applications>Utilities and open Disk Utility.

    2. In the left column, all of the disks and hard drives connected to your computer will be listed. Your main drive is probably called Macintosh HD or Mac HD, and right above that should be the drive that it's contained in. Mine says "500.11 GB Hitachi HTS*insertalotofnumbershere*A02". Click on it, and move to the "Partition" tab.

    3. Click the little plus button underneath the big box that represents your HD. It'll add a partition, probably called Macintosh HD 2 or something similar. Click on it. To the right, it should have all of the Volume Information. Name it Snow Leopard or SL or something recognizable, make sure the format is "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)", and choose the size. I'm using my Snow Leopard partition solely for Sims, so I only made it about 80 GB big.

    4. Hit "Apply". It'll begin to partition your drive. Try to just leave the computer alone until it finishes partitioning.

    5. Now, the "Partition" tab should look something like this:

    2s7i536.png

    6. Put your Snow Leopard disk into the disk drive. Shut down your computer.

    7. Start the computer up again. Right as it plays the little chime sound and the Apple screen shows up, hold down the "C" button.

    8. Wait. It might take a while, usually it takes me three or four minutes. It should boot to the Snow Leopard disk and give you a list of languages to choose from. If it brings your to your normal login screen, shut it down and try again until you get to the SL boot.

    9. Choose your language and continue through everything UNTIL it asks you what drive you would like to install SL to. Choose the Snow Leopard drive you just partitioned.

    10. Wait awhile until it finishes installing, it usually takes my laptop 30 min. to an hour and a half.

    11. If I remember right, it should restart at the end of installation.

    12. If it automatically restarts, then it should go on and show the little welcome video, followed by setup and registration for the computer. You don't have to bother to fill in any of the Apple ID stuff, just skip through it and enter your name and username when it gets there.

    13. You should now have a functioning Snow Leopard partition. To boot back to your Lion drive, go to System Settings>Startup Disk and choose the one that says "Mac OS X, 10.7" and click restart. Do the same thing from your Lion drive to move to the Snow Leopard one.

    14. You don't have to reinstall all of your Sims games onto the new drive. Just go to finder, click Macintosh HD in the sidebar, and go to the Applications folder. Copy the folder called The Sims 3 onto your desktop. Then, go back to Macintosh HD and choose the Users folder. Choose the folder with your Lion hard drive username, and go to documents. Copy the Electronic Arts folder onto your desktop as well. Once they've both finished copying, drag the Sims 3 folder into your Applications, and pull the Electronic Arts into your documents. Choose the Sims start up icon from the Apps folder and it should start the game right up (assuming you have the disk in, of course).

    Sorry if that was kind of confusing. :? Hope I helped though, good luck!
  • Options
    QueenBee731QueenBee731 Posts: 9
    edited August 2011
    Myrsinie wrote:
    Myrsinie wrote:
    Hey, could you please explain how we can do the Snow Leopard partition?..

    Sure. It's actually very easy. Here are the steps:

    1) Back up your saves!! I used Time Machine and it was fast and easy. You can also use a USB by copying your Saves file and dropping it on a USB to replace later.
    2) Open Disk Utility (you can Spotlight search it to get there fast, or go to Finder/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility)
    3) Select the first option on the left hand menu (it should be the size of your hard drive and then a code).
    4) Click "Partition" in the middle menu that comes up
    5) Click the "+" button under the visual rep of your hard drive to add a partition.
    6) Drag the center bar with a circle up or down to change the size.
    7) Click "Partition" and wait for it to finish.
    8) Insert your Snow Leopard disk (it has to be the actual disk you got with your computer)
    9) Shut down your computer via the Apple menu
    10) When restarting, hold down the C key
    11) You will be brought to the installation for Snow Leopard. Choose to install it on your new partition and follow the on screen installation process.
    12) Install your Sims games on this new partition WITHOUT upgrading to Lion
    13) Test your game pre-patch. Turn off your Wi-Fi and play the game for 10-15 minutes on a brand new game with no CC and no patches to make sure it's running.
    14) Exit, patch (I was able to patch to the very latest update and still play just fine) and test again.
    15) Assuming everything is running, you can now replace your saves and CC.

    If anyone has any questions let me know!

    Thank you so much! I lost my CD a long time ago though:( i think my mom threw it away with the macbook box:(
    Do you think if i buy another Snow Leopard CD it would work?...


    Yes, any snow leopard disk should work. If you call Apple Care they will send you a new disk for free (they may charge you for the call if you didnt buy Apple Care for your mac or it's expired). You can also buy a new disk online at apple.com.

  • Options
    lbarracloughlbarraclough Posts: 5
    edited August 2011
    has anyone installed the latest lion system update to see if that fixes any of the problems?
  • Options
    QueenBee731QueenBee731 Posts: 9
    edited August 2011
    So should I wait to install Lion then??

    Seriously, should I not install it? I was thinking of doing it tonight and checked the forums first, and now Im not sure.
  • Options
    waychu987waychu987 Posts: 6 New Member
    edited August 2011
    So should I wait to install Lion then??

    Seriously, should I not install it? I was thinking of doing it tonight and checked the forums first, and now Im not sure.

    I installed the update, got into the sims 3 went to play a family and again it stalled/froze. 10.7.1 did not fix my problem!

    EA it's your turn!
  • Options
    Mythago68Mythago68 Posts: 690
    edited August 2011
    Mythago68 wrote:
    Hey Mythago, how are ya? :D

    Did it work fine under Lion before you installed Town Life? And what screen size is you MacBook Pro?

    Hi BluebellFlora :D

    I am frustrated. I have not had any problems with my game until now.

    To be honest I did not have time to play many times under Lion before I installed Town Life, but my general feeling is that things really went wrong after I installed Town Life. I have serious graphics issues with my game now, and of course it crashes after 5-10 minutes of playing. I do not have any 3rd party CC in my computer.

    My screen is 17" and I also use external Apple 27" widescreen with my mac book pro. Both have worked fine until now with all EP´s and SP`s and fair amount of store content.


    Have you tried turning off the automatic graphics switching so you only use the dedicated card? It should work fine, give it a try and let me know how it goes :)

    Thank you so much for the help! I had forgotten this thing about two graphics cards :oops: . I made a little test yesterday and first it worked fine. Then I took some of my sims back to "create a sim" mode and the game froze there. I shall test more in the weekend when I have more time.
  • Options
    AlexRoz9AlexRoz9 Posts: 309 New Member
    edited August 2011
    Myrsinie wrote:
    I lost my CD a long time ago though:( i think my mom threw it away with the macbook box:(
    Do you think if i buy another Snow Leopard CD it would work?...
    Yes, it will work; just buy a SL CD while they're still available. The newer Snow Leopard CDs come with OS X 10.6.3 on them instead of OS X 10.6, (the original "dot-zero" release,) which actually prevents several potential errors from occurring during installation. This a common practice for Apple, and I'm actually thinking of picking up another SL CD myself for this very reason.

    The guides provided here are excellent provided that you want to keep all of your data "as-is" and use both OS X 10.6 SL and OS X 10.7 Lion. However, if your Mac is loaded down with unnecessary files and/or corrupt permissions, you may wish to perform a "clean install" of Snow Leopard. A clean install will erase all of your data, so be sure to back up anything and everything that's even remotely of value to you. To perform a clean install:

    1. First back up everything, and I do mean everything that you remotely care about. Use Time Machine, then make an additional back up of things like photos, iTunes purchases, and anything else on your hard drive because you're going to erase it! The reason I say to make two back-ups (you can use disk utility to create the second back-up) is so that in the unlikely event that one fails, you still have your data on the other. If your paranoid like I am, make a third back-up.

    2. Once you've made your back-ups, insert your Snow Leopard DVD, restart your computer and hold down the "C" key. This will allow you to boot from the SL DVD.

    3. Using the SL DVD, open "Disk Utility," find your hard drive, and choose the option to erase it. Format your hard drive as "Mac OS X Extended, Journaled" and wait for the formatting to finish; you should now have an empty hard drive. Do not use the "case-sensitive" option; this will cause incompatibilities with TS3. If you don't mind waiting, choose the "zero out all data" option to securely delete everything on your hard drive. This should prevent any stray code from causing a problem.

    4. In disk utility, under the "partition" tab, chose "two partitions;" this will literally divide your hard drive in half. Although this technically will erase your hard drive, I've found that formatting it in advance, and securely erasing it as noted in the step above tends to reduce any potential for problems. Once this is done, you should have two unnamed "blank" hard drives. Go ahead and name one of them "Mac OS X 10.6," and name the other "Mac OS X 10.7," or something similar, (e.g. "Snow Leopard" and "Lion.") Although both partitions are blank, this will let you know what you plan to install on each of them.

    5. Close disk utility; you'll be returned to the Snow Leopard DVD's installation menu. Install Snow Leopard on the "Mac OS X 10.6" partition. Once the installation is complete, install all available software updates, restarting your computer as necessary until the process is finished.

    6. After you're "Mac OS X 10.6" partition is back up to date, insert the Snow Leopard DVD if you've removed it, hold down the "C" key again, and boot from the "Snow Leopard" DVD as you did in step two.

    7. Repeat the installation process from step five on the "Mac OS X 10.7" partition. When the installation finishes, eject the Snow Leopard DVD, and download all available software updates as you did in step five.

    8. Install Mac OS X 10.7 Lion on the "Mac OS X 10.7" partition; you need to have Snow Leopard installed and up to date in order to properly install Lion, so don't skip step seven.

    9. Congratulations; you should now be running a Mac in a dual-boot configuration. Whenever you want to switch partitions, hold down the "C" key at start up and choose the partition that you want to boot from. Go ahead and boot into the "Mac OS X 10.6" partition.

    10. On the "Mac OS X 10.6" partition, go ahead and reinstall all of your programs that you intend to use under Mac OS X. This includes TS3 and all of the expansion packs and stuff packs. Since you have a Snow Leopard partition, you can continue to run PowerPC software via Rosetta; this includes The Sims Complete Collection and other software that doesn't include "universal" binaries. Go ahead and reinstall all of the programs that you intend to use under Snow Leopard as well. Likewise, if you have an iPod Classic, you may wish to install your iTunes music library under Snow Leopard. Some people have reported that automatically syncing an iPod Classic under Lion can render the iPod Classic inoperable. Either sync the iPod Classic manually or install your music library under Snow Leopard and auto-sync it there.

    11. After completing step 10, hold down the "C" key and boot into your "Mac OS X 10.7" partition. Install all of the programs that you intend to use under Lion. You need not install TS3 or any software that requires Rosetta here.

    12. If all of your programs are installed where you want them to be, you're finished. Just remember to hold down the "C" key at start-up to choose the partition that you wish to boot from.

    Again, the advantages to using the method mentioned above are that it removes unnecessary code from both partitions, gives you freshly installed OSes, and allows you to run Rosetta under the Snow Leopard partition without having software requiring Rosetta clogging up the Lion partition.

    For those of you who've purchased Macs that have shipped with Lion, it's possible to "downgrade/sidegrade" to Snow Leopard. Just note that doing so is not officially supported by Apple, and you do so at your own risk. To downgrade/sidegrade, make a Lion recovery drive using a flash drive, purchase a copy of Snow Leopard, and then use the same steps outlined above. Lion actually sits on top of Snow Leopard, much the way Windows 3.1 sat on top of MS-DOS. As a result, Snow Leopard is needed for Lion to function. This should potentially allow you to run TS3 on a new Mac that doesn't ship with Snow Leopard though, although you'll have to buy a Snow Leopard install disc while they're still available.
  • Options
    MyrsinieMyrsinie Posts: 5
    edited August 2011
    AlexRoz9 wrote:
    Myrsinie wrote:
    I lost my CD a long time ago though:( i think my mom threw it away with the macbook box:(
    Do you think if i buy another Snow Leopard CD it would work?...
    Yes, it will work; just buy a SL CD while they're still available. The newer Snow Leopard CDs come with OS X 10.6.3 on them instead of OS X 10.6, (the original "dot-zero" release,) which actually prevents several potential errors from occurring during installation. This a common practice for Apple, and I'm actually thinking of picking up another SL CD myself for this very reason.

    The guides provided here are excellent provided that you want to keep all of your data "as-is" and use both OS X 10.6 SL and OS X 10.7 Lion. However, if your Mac is loaded down with unnecessary files and/or corrupt permissions, you may wish to perform a "clean install" of Snow Leopard. A clean install will erase all of your data, so be sure to back up anything and everything that's even remotely of value to you. To perform a clean install:

    1. First back up everything, and I do mean everything that you remotely care about. Use Time Machine, then make an additional back up of things like photos, iTunes purchases, and anything else on your hard drive because you're going to erase it! The reason I say to make two back-ups (you can use disk utility to create the second back-up) is so that in the unlikely event that one fails, you still have your data on the other. If your paranoid like I am, make a third back-up.

    2. Once you've made your back-ups, insert your Snow Leopard DVD, restart your computer and hold down the "C" key. This will allow you to boot from the SL DVD.

    3. Using the SL DVD, open "Disk Utility," find your hard drive, and choose the option to erase it. Format your hard drive as "Mac OS X Extended, Journaled" and wait for the formatting to finish; you should now have an empty hard drive. Do not use the "case-sensitive" option; this will cause incompatibilities with TS3. If you don't mind waiting, choose the "zero out all data" option to securely delete everything on your hard drive. This should prevent any stray code from causing a problem.

    4. In disk utility, under the "partition" tab, chose "two partitions;" this will literally divide your hard drive in half. Although this technically will erase your hard drive, I've found that formatting it in advance, and securely erasing it as noted in the step above tends to reduce any potential for problems. Once this is done, you should have two unnamed "blank" hard drives. Go ahead and name one of them "Mac OS X 10.6," and name the other "Mac OS X 10.7," or something similar, (e.g. "Snow Leopard" and "Lion.") Although both partitions are blank, this will let you know what you plan to install on each of them.

    5. Close disk utility; you'll be returned to the Snow Leopard DVD's installation menu. Install Snow Leopard on the "Mac OS X 10.6" partition. Once the installation is complete, install all available software updates, restarting your computer as necessary until the process is finished.

    6. After you're "Mac OS X 10.6" partition is back up to date, insert the Snow Leopard DVD if you've removed it, hold down the "C" key again, and boot from the "Snow Leopard" DVD as you did in step two.

    7. Repeat the installation process from step five on the "Mac OS X 10.7" partition. When the installation finishes, eject the Snow Leopard DVD, and download all available software updates as you did in step five.

    8. Install Mac OS X 10.7 Lion on the "Mac OS X 10.7" partition; you need to have Snow Leopard installed and up to date in order to properly install Lion, so don't skip step seven.

    9. Congratulations; you should now be running a Mac in a dual-boot configuration. Whenever you want to switch partitions, hold down the "C" key at start up and choose the partition that you want to boot from. Go ahead and boot into the "Mac OS X 10.6" partition.

    10. On the "Mac OS X 10.6" partition, go ahead and reinstall all of your programs that you intend to use under Mac OS X. This includes TS3 and all of the expansion packs and stuff packs. Since you have a Snow Leopard partition, you can continue to run PowerPC software via Rosetta; this includes The Sims Complete Collection and other software that doesn't include "universal" binaries. Go ahead and reinstall all of the programs that you intend to use under Snow Leopard as well. Likewise, if you have an iPod Classic, you may wish to install your iTunes music library under Snow Leopard. Some people have reported that automatically syncing an iPod Classic under Lion can render the iPod Classic inoperable. Either sync the iPod Classic manually or install your music library under Snow Leopard and auto-sync it there.

    11. After completing step 10, hold down the "C" key and boot into your "Mac OS X 10.7" partition. Install all of the programs that you intend to use under Lion. You need not install TS3 or any software that requires Rosetta here.

    12. If all of your programs are installed where you want them to be, you're finished. Just remember to hold down the "C" key at start-up to choose the partition that you wish to boot from.

    Again, the advantages to using the method mentioned above are that it removes unnecessary code from both partitions, gives you freshly installed OSes, and allows you to run Rosetta under the Snow Leopard partition without having software requiring Rosetta clogging up the Lion partition.

    For those of you who've purchased Macs that have shipped with Lion, it's possible to "downgrade/sidegrade" to Snow Leopard. Just note that doing so is not officially supported by Apple, and you do so at your own risk. To downgrade/sidegrade, make a Lion recovery drive using a flash drive, purchase a copy of Snow Leopard, and then use the same steps outlined above. Lion actually sits on top of Snow Leopard, much the way Windows 3.1 sat on top of MS-DOS. As a result, Snow Leopard is needed for Lion to function. This should potentially allow you to run TS3 on a new Mac that doesn't ship with Snow Leopard though, although you'll have to buy a Snow Leopard install disc while they're still available.

    Thank you everyone for your replies!
    I went to the Apple Store today to buy the Snow Leopard CD, and they told me that they don't sell it in store anymore. I tried looking for it online, and it is £26 plus delivery....
    so do you think it worths buying the CD for £30 or just wait for EA to come up with a patch?
  • Options
    Pcd1love2uPcd1love2u Posts: 913 Member
    edited August 2011
    Myrsinie wrote:
    AlexRoz9 wrote:
    Myrsinie wrote:
    I lost my CD a long time ago though:( i think my mom threw it away with the macbook box:(
    Do you think if i buy another Snow Leopard CD it would work?...
    Yes, it will work; just buy a SL CD while they're still available. The newer Snow Leopard CDs come with OS X 10.6.3 on them instead of OS X 10.6, (the original "dot-zero" release,) which actually prevents several potential errors from occurring during installation. This a common practice for Apple, and I'm actually thinking of picking up another SL CD myself for this very reason.

    The guides provided here are excellent provided that you want to keep all of your data "as-is" and use both OS X 10.6 SL and OS X 10.7 Lion. However, if your Mac is loaded down with unnecessary files and/or corrupt permissions, you may wish to perform a "clean install" of Snow Leopard. A clean install will erase all of your data, so be sure to back up anything and everything that's even remotely of value to you. To perform a clean install:

    1. First back up everything, and I do mean everything that you remotely care about. Use Time Machine, then make an additional back up of things like photos, iTunes purchases, and anything else on your hard drive because you're going to erase it! The reason I say to make two back-ups (you can use disk utility to create the second back-up) is so that in the unlikely event that one fails, you still have your data on the other. If your paranoid like I am, make a third back-up.

    2. Once you've made your back-ups, insert your Snow Leopard DVD, restart your computer and hold down the "C" key. This will allow you to boot from the SL DVD.

    3. Using the SL DVD, open "Disk Utility," find your hard drive, and choose the option to erase it. Format your hard drive as "Mac OS X Extended, Journaled" and wait for the formatting to finish; you should now have an empty hard drive. Do not use the "case-sensitive" option; this will cause incompatibilities with TS3. If you don't mind waiting, choose the "zero out all data" option to securely delete everything on your hard drive. This should prevent any stray code from causing a problem.

    4. In disk utility, under the "partition" tab, chose "two partitions;" this will literally divide your hard drive in half. Although this technically will erase your hard drive, I've found that formatting it in advance, and securely erasing it as noted in the step above tends to reduce any potential for problems. Once this is done, you should have two unnamed "blank" hard drives. Go ahead and name one of them "Mac OS X 10.6," and name the other "Mac OS X 10.7," or something similar, (e.g. "Snow Leopard" and "Lion.") Although both partitions are blank, this will let you know what you plan to install on each of them.

    5. Close disk utility; you'll be returned to the Snow Leopard DVD's installation menu. Install Snow Leopard on the "Mac OS X 10.6" partition. Once the installation is complete, install all available software updates, restarting your computer as necessary until the process is finished.

    6. After you're "Mac OS X 10.6" partition is back up to date, insert the Snow Leopard DVD if you've removed it, hold down the "C" key again, and boot from the "Snow Leopard" DVD as you did in step two.

    7. Repeat the installation process from step five on the "Mac OS X 10.7" partition. When the installation finishes, eject the Snow Leopard DVD, and download all available software updates as you did in step five.

    8. Install Mac OS X 10.7 Lion on the "Mac OS X 10.7" partition; you need to have Snow Leopard installed and up to date in order to properly install Lion, so don't skip step seven.

    9. Congratulations; you should now be running a Mac in a dual-boot configuration. Whenever you want to switch partitions, hold down the "C" key at start up and choose the partition that you want to boot from. Go ahead and boot into the "Mac OS X 10.6" partition.

    10. On the "Mac OS X 10.6" partition, go ahead and reinstall all of your programs that you intend to use under Mac OS X. This includes TS3 and all of the expansion packs and stuff packs. Since you have a Snow Leopard partition, you can continue to run PowerPC software via Rosetta; this includes The Sims Complete Collection and other software that doesn't include "universal" binaries. Go ahead and reinstall all of the programs that you intend to use under Snow Leopard as well. Likewise, if you have an iPod Classic, you may wish to install your iTunes music library under Snow Leopard. Some people have reported that automatically syncing an iPod Classic under Lion can render the iPod Classic inoperable. Either sync the iPod Classic manually or install your music library under Snow Leopard and auto-sync it there.

    11. After completing step 10, hold down the "C" key and boot into your "Mac OS X 10.7" partition. Install all of the programs that you intend to use under Lion. You need not install TS3 or any software that requires Rosetta here.

    12. If all of your programs are installed where you want them to be, you're finished. Just remember to hold down the "C" key at start-up to choose the partition that you wish to boot from.

    Again, the advantages to using the method mentioned above are that it removes unnecessary code from both partitions, gives you freshly installed OSes, and allows you to run Rosetta under the Snow Leopard partition without having software requiring Rosetta clogging up the Lion partition.

    For those of you who've purchased Macs that have shipped with Lion, it's possible to "downgrade/sidegrade" to Snow Leopard. Just note that doing so is not officially supported by Apple, and you do so at your own risk. To downgrade/sidegrade, make a Lion recovery drive using a flash drive, purchase a copy of Snow Leopard, and then use the same steps outlined above. Lion actually sits on top of Snow Leopard, much the way Windows 3.1 sat on top of MS-DOS. As a result, Snow Leopard is needed for Lion to function. This should potentially allow you to run TS3 on a new Mac that doesn't ship with Snow Leopard though, although you'll have to buy a Snow Leopard install disc while they're still available.

    Thank you everyone for your replies!
    I went to the Apple Store today to buy the Snow Leopard CD, and they told me that they don't sell it in store anymore. I tried looking for it online, and it is £26 plus delivery....
    so do you think it worths buying the CD for £30 or just wait for EA to come up with a patch?
    Knowing EA..... just buy the disk :lol:
    Its better what i did, i bought a new computer (Old mini died so i had too! xD) Its the newer Mid 2011 Mac Mini and i play on med with 70+ FPS :shock:
  • Options
    max211max211 Posts: 2 New Member
    edited August 2011
    schencker wrote:
    I downloaded the update, and my game still freezes after about 20-30 seconds of very slow, choppy gameplay. Here are my specs:
    MacBook Pro
    13-inch, Mid 2009
    Processor - 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory - 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

    Same computer. I can still edit town and make sims, but when i go to play a household, it freezes. I chatted with EA but they were useless in telling me anything about an update for this
  • Options
    MyrsinieMyrsinie Posts: 5
    edited August 2011
    Zarah888 wrote:
    EDIT: Dang it, someone got to it first... :-)
    Myrsinie wrote:
    Oh, another update... the newest Sims Medieval patch (released after Lion and Town Life Stuff) works on my Snow Leopard partition. Are people on Snow Leopard not experiencing issues with Town Life? Does this mean the new Eps will work on my Snow Leopard partition?

    Hey, could you please explain how we can do the Snow Leopard partition?..

    You'll need the Snow Leopard disk to install it this way. If you lost it, then I can't really help you there. :?

    1. Go to Applications>Utilities and open Disk Utility.

    2. In the left column, all of the disks and hard drives connected to your computer will be listed. Your main drive is probably called Macintosh HD or Mac HD, and right above that should be the drive that it's contained in. Mine says "500.11 GB Hitachi HTS*insertalotofnumbershere*A02". Click on it, and move to the "Partition" tab.

    3. Click the little plus button underneath the big box that represents your HD. It'll add a partition, probably called Macintosh HD 2 or something similar. Click on it. To the right, it should have all of the Volume Information. Name it Snow Leopard or SL or something recognizable, make sure the format is "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)", and choose the size. I'm using my Snow Leopard partition solely for Sims, so I only made it about 80 GB big.

    4. Hit "Apply". It'll begin to partition your drive. Try to just leave the computer alone until it finishes partitioning.

    5. Now, the "Partition" tab should look something like this:

    2s7i536.png

    6. Put your Snow Leopard disk into the disk drive. Shut down your computer.

    7. Start the computer up again. Right as it plays the little chime sound and the Apple screen shows up, hold down the "C" button.

    8. Wait. It might take a while, usually it takes me three or four minutes. It should boot to the Snow Leopard disk and give you a list of languages to choose from. If it brings your to your normal login screen, shut it down and try again until you get to the SL boot.

    9. Choose your language and continue through everything UNTIL it asks you what drive you would like to install SL to. Choose the Snow Leopard drive you just partitioned.

    10. Wait awhile until it finishes installing, it usually takes my laptop 30 min. to an hour and a half.

    11. If I remember right, it should restart at the end of installation.

    12. If it automatically restarts, then it should go on and show the little welcome video, followed by setup and registration for the computer. You don't have to bother to fill in any of the Apple ID stuff, just skip through it and enter your name and username when it gets there.

    13. You should now have a functioning Snow Leopard partition. To boot back to your Lion drive, go to System Settings>Startup Disk and choose the one that says "Mac OS X, 10.7" and click restart. Do the same thing from your Lion drive to move to the Snow Leopard one.

    14. You don't have to reinstall all of your Sims games onto the new drive. Just go to finder, click Macintosh HD in the sidebar, and go to the Applications folder. Copy the folder called The Sims 3 onto your desktop. Then, go back to Macintosh HD and choose the Users folder. Choose the folder with your Lion hard drive username, and go to documents. Copy the Electronic Arts folder onto your desktop as well. Once they've both finished copying, drag the Sims 3 folder into your Applications, and pull the Electronic Arts into your documents. Choose the Sims start up icon from the Apps folder and it should start the game right up (assuming you have the disk in, of course).

    Sorry if that was kind of confusing. :? Hope I helped though, good luck!

    Sorry if i'm being annoying guys, i have one more question.
    Is it possible to create the snow leopard partition on an external hard drive instead of the Macintosh one?
    I don't have much hard disk memory left on my macbook... only 45GB.

  • Options
    Zarah888Zarah888 Posts: 329
    edited August 2011
    Myrsinie wrote:
    Zarah888 wrote:
    EDIT: Dang it, someone got to it first... :-)
    Myrsinie wrote:
    Oh, another update... the newest Sims Medieval patch (released after Lion and Town Life Stuff) works on my Snow Leopard partition. Are people on Snow Leopard not experiencing issues with Town Life? Does this mean the new Eps will work on my Snow Leopard partition?

    Hey, could you please explain how we can do the Snow Leopard partition?..

    You'll need the Snow Leopard disk to install it this way. If you lost it, then I can't really help you there. :?

    1. Go to Applications>Utilities and open Disk Utility.

    2. In the left column, all of the disks and hard drives connected to your computer will be listed. Your main drive is probably called Macintosh HD or Mac HD, and right above that should be the drive that it's contained in. Mine says "500.11 GB Hitachi HTS*insertalotofnumbershere*A02". Click on it, and move to the "Partition" tab.

    3. Click the little plus button underneath the big box that represents your HD. It'll add a partition, probably called Macintosh HD 2 or something similar. Click on it. To the right, it should have all of the Volume Information. Name it Snow Leopard or SL or something recognizable, make sure the format is "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)", and choose the size. I'm using my Snow Leopard partition solely for Sims, so I only made it about 80 GB big.

    4. Hit "Apply". It'll begin to partition your drive. Try to just leave the computer alone until it finishes partitioning.

    5. Now, the "Partition" tab should look something like this:

    2s7i536.png

    6. Put your Snow Leopard disk into the disk drive. Shut down your computer.

    7. Start the computer up again. Right as it plays the little chime sound and the Apple screen shows up, hold down the "C" button.

    8. Wait. It might take a while, usually it takes me three or four minutes. It should boot to the Snow Leopard disk and give you a list of languages to choose from. If it brings your to your normal login screen, shut it down and try again until you get to the SL boot.

    9. Choose your language and continue through everything UNTIL it asks you what drive you would like to install SL to. Choose the Snow Leopard drive you just partitioned.

    10. Wait awhile until it finishes installing, it usually takes my laptop 30 min. to an hour and a half.

    11. If I remember right, it should restart at the end of installation.

    12. If it automatically restarts, then it should go on and show the little welcome video, followed by setup and registration for the computer. You don't have to bother to fill in any of the Apple ID stuff, just skip through it and enter your name and username when it gets there.

    13. You should now have a functioning Snow Leopard partition. To boot back to your Lion drive, go to System Settings>Startup Disk and choose the one that says "Mac OS X, 10.7" and click restart. Do the same thing from your Lion drive to move to the Snow Leopard one.

    14. You don't have to reinstall all of your Sims games onto the new drive. Just go to finder, click Macintosh HD in the sidebar, and go to the Applications folder. Copy the folder called The Sims 3 onto your desktop. Then, go back to Macintosh HD and choose the Users folder. Choose the folder with your Lion hard drive username, and go to documents. Copy the Electronic Arts folder onto your desktop as well. Once they've both finished copying, drag the Sims 3 folder into your Applications, and pull the Electronic Arts into your documents. Choose the Sims start up icon from the Apps folder and it should start the game right up (assuming you have the disk in, of course).

    Sorry if that was kind of confusing. :? Hope I helped though, good luck!

    Sorry if i'm being annoying guys, i have one more question.
    Is it possible to create the snow leopard partition on an external hard drive instead of the Macintosh one?
    I don't have much hard disk memory left on my macbook... only 45GB.

    Yes, you should be able to just do pretty much the same thing with an external drive, just choose the external one in Disk Utility and the SL install location instead of the your internal drive.
  • Options
    QueenDivettaQueenDivetta Posts: 1,332 Member
    edited August 2011
    Pcd1love2u wrote:
    Knowing EA..... just buy the disk :lol:

    UPDATE: The Sims Medieval released a patch today that allows Lion users to play Sims Medieval!!!

    Now if the TS3 team would just catch up...

    I just have to say that the Sims Medieval team has done SUCH a better job of patching and communicating and monitoring their forums. I really really appreciate their hard work and communication.

    We need a patch for TS3!! Even though I think I'll continue to play on my partition anyway... I just would rather everybody else to be able to play without doing that. But who knows how long the TS3 devs will take...
  • Options
    schenckerschencker Posts: 50
    edited August 2011
    I just downloaded Lion version 10.7.1, and was able to play The Sims 3 for 10 minutes! Before this Apple update, I could only play for a few seconds. Fluke, or were our problems solved with 10.7.1?
    I posted a new thread about this because when I tried to post it here, I got a 404 error- I just saw that someone said they can only quick reply, otherwise they get that error message. So here's my quick reply! Is there any way to delete a thread? :?

    Edit: It was a fluke. I played for about 20-30 minutes, and then it froze. However, 20-30 minutes is a lot better than before the update, when I could barely get 5 seconds. Could this be a sign of progress?
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    caitlinbcaitlinb Posts: 4 New Member
    edited August 2011
    schencker wrote:
    I just downloaded Lion version 10.7.1, and was able to play The Sims 3 for 10 minutes! Before this Apple update, I could only play for a few seconds. Fluke, or were our problems solved with 10.7.1?
    I posted a new thread about this because when I tried to post it here, I got a 404 error- I just saw that someone said they can only quick reply, otherwise they get that error message. So here's my quick reply! Is there any way to delete a thread? :?

    Edit: It was a fluke. I played for about 20-30 minutes, and then it froze. However, 20-30 minutes is a lot better than before the update, when I could barely get 5 seconds. Could this be a sign of progress?

    I didn't have the patience to time it, but from two attempted runs under 10.7.1 I would agree that it took several more seconds to freeze.

    If others are seeing the same thing this could be valuable data for E.A., assuming they actually have anybody really working on this issue. A status report would be the least we could expect since we bought a game that is still being sold as compatible with "MAC OS X".
  • Options
    BearpawdBearpawd Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    Have the exact same problem. Upgraded to Lion and immediate freeze after 30 seconds of game play.

    Mac Stats:
    Mac Mini w/46" Samsung HDTV
    2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256MB
  • Options
    Miezi7Miezi7 Posts: 4
    edited August 2011
    Hey everybody,

    my sims 3 still freeze after a few seconds, even with the 10.7.1 update. But I found this on the apple website, he says, that he already downloaded the beta version of the next update (10.7.2) and now all graphic card problems are gone!
    I hope this is true, and the update will come out soon...

    https://discussions.apple.com/message/15701890#15701890
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top