The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Rebuilding Viper Valley and The Apocalypse Challenge

Comments

• bunbunnynybunbunnyny Posts: 3,678 Member
    edited July 2011
    Alright, I FINALLY updated it. It kept messing itself up and took me a while to fix it.

Also, the Tomb I'm creating has a challenge where there is this pool that you HAVE to travel through in order to complete, even with cheats to teleport whenever you want.

Lastly, you don't need to make back-ups! Just search the History section of the drop menu toolbar next to the title of the entire page and find the section you last revised!

Oh, and what about Super Nanny LTR?
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • mikitta47mikitta47 Posts: 2,250 New Member
    edited July 2011
    Super Nanny - after Day care is cleared.

Thank you for doing the LTR list for me - I'll check it out after things settle down from this weekend. Inlaws are here, we had a family reunion today - my brain is all buzzing around.

God Bless,
    mik
    edited July 2011
    Good luck with the family stuff! :lol:

Anyways, I was thinking, how about a challenge that we complete to use the Spellbook and Spells? You have to, anyways. It breaks the rule, since you can Summon Sims to your lot, and interact with them. This can be another Challenge that is only required if you have the spellbook, because it wouldn't affect anything else!

Also, when Pets comes out, how about a Challenge that restricts using the "Unleash Animales" spell on other Sims, since the spell makes them act like an animal. Again, this wouldn't affect anything since it would only apply if you have the Spellbook! (This doesn't mean I'm okay with the Spellbook they gave us. I still believe that they should give us REAL magic.)
    edited July 2011
    I added a Skill Activity page to the Restrictions Category. I'm filling it out as I go. It doesn't appear under the main Restriction drop menu, but I guess that's because you didn't make it, mikitta.
    edited July 2011
    bunbunnyny wrote:
    Good luck with the family stuff! :lol:

Anyways, I was thinking, how about a challenge that we complete to use the Spellbook and Spells? You have to, anyways. It breaks the rule, since you can Summon Sims to your lot, and interact with them. This can be another Challenge that is only required if you have the spellbook, because it wouldn't affect anything else!

I need to play with it a bit more - I haven't done much playing this weekend since the Inlaws were here and we had the reunion and all. I don't see the need to create a whole restriction category for Magic right now, but that might change if they put in more.

On the outside, summon sims is going to be restricted by military and super spy. I need to play more with things, use the item and get the skill up before I can make a determination on anything else.
    Also, when Pets comes out, how about a Challenge that restricts using the "Unleash Animales" spell on other Sims, since the spell makes them act like an animal. Again, this wouldn't affect anything since it would only apply if you have the Spellbook! (This doesn't mean I'm okay with the Spellbook they gave us. I still believe that they should give us REAL magic.)

There are going to be two (I think) new careers/professions - horse trainer and dog/cat trainer. They will have a restriction category, as that is the general pattern with new expansions - jobs that are pretty new and add things to the game end up with their own restriction category. I can see adding the Unleash Animales to those restrictions :)
    I added a Skill Activity page to the Restrictions Category. I'm filling it out as I go. It doesn't appear under the main Restriction drop menu, but I guess that's because you didn't make it, mikitta.

Just let me know when to take a look at it. Also, coordinate with Anghara and what she is compiling for us so you guys aren't either at cross purposes or trying to reinvent each others' wheels.

I did look at the LTR list and it looks really good. I have only one suggestion - on several of the LTRs, you have listed Hopelessness as one of the restrictions to lift. EVERYTHING has hopelessness as a pre-requisite as that is the biggest thing the fonder lifts regardless of what career they complete. So it dosn't really need to be listed as a pre-req of any of the LTRs unless it's the ONLY restriction.

Oh, another thing - can't remember if you did this or not ... Alien Technology governs anything special - like the collection helper, body sculpture, things like that - I had a complete as of Late Night list under the Alien Tech restriction, I think. So not only does Science restrict those things, but Alien Tech for the high end LTR that are gadgety restricts them too. With that in mind, the motive mobile and the hover bed should be restricted by Alien Tech in addition to Science.

Okies - my head hurts a lot tonight. Not even sure why I'm still up. Probably because I still need to do hubby's laundry.

God Bless,
    mik
    edited July 2011
    (Do not read this until today is not today, mikitta. You need to get some sleep!8))

Alright. I'll work on that tomorrow.

Yeah, I didn't think that it would be necessary to create a whole new category for using or buying the spellbook, either. I just thought it could be fun to do a special unique challenge meant just for the spellbook. But honestly, I can't think of anything "unique" or "special" for a challenge! So yeah, you're right. It's not necessary, I guess.

And yes, I added those to the Alien Tech list. I also color-coded several things across the board that you forgot to, like Martial Arts stuff, and several LTRs. But I didn't have time for all of them.
    edited July 2011
    I have couple questions about the rules in the Culinary and TAN sections.

Are we allowed to stock the aquarium window with digital fish?
    And if we are, does feeding them digital food count as our 1 meal per day?

And if either of those are restricted, what are they restricted by?
    edited July 2011
    Oh, and you can go ahead and read my progress as you go along. It would actually be better if you do so I don't do the whole entire section wrong and need to redo it.
    edited July 2011
    The digital aquarium window ...

Restricted by Science and Architecture. Feeding digital fish ... that's a conundrum because what do digital fish eat?

God Bless,
    mik
    edited July 2011
    It says [Feed Digital Substance] or something like that when you click the window.
  • Anghara130Anghara130 Posts: 233 New Member
    edited July 2011
    I'd be tempted to say no digital fish until fishing restrictions are lifted by the Amazing Naturalist.... which means no feeding said fish. If you do feed them before culinary is lifted, it's like babyfood - for our family babyfood is pureed adult food, so could have been taken from a day's serving of hot dogs, but isn't, so it counts as the one meal. So should digital fish food.

Unless you give them baby bottles, cos those are ok.... *grins* I have a lovely vision of a fish with a bottle in it's mouth now.

Of course I am freezing cold, and about to head to bed with the text book for my next essay, it's warmer under the duvet for reading! I hate british summers, want to live somewhere more predictable!!!
    edited July 2011
    8) Hehehehehehehehehehe..... I've seen that before. I real fish with a real miniature baby bottle. I have absolutely no idea what my neighbor was trying to do to that poor fish that day, but at least it wasn't hurt! It looked cute and bizarre at the same time.

Anyways, mikitta, are you still thinking about a fly-in for RR?
    edited July 2011
    YOU GUYS! Now I'll NEVER get the image of a digital clown fish sucking a baby bottle out of my head .... :P I really needed the smile though :) Been a downer day. It's so humid and hot here, and it's going to be like this all week - I'll trade you summers, Anghara. You can have the sweltering, sticky, discomfort that is the West Virginia summer :P Of course, the winters are icy, cold and muddy ... But the Spring and the Fall around here IS spectacular.

I found out all my chicken feed and scratch was mouldy. I had to go spend anther $50 for fresh feed. I had half a bag of feed and somewhat more of scratch left. I MAY be able to salvage the scratch by tossing it all around the chicken yard. But the feed is a total loss. I went to feed the chickens earlier and got a lungful of spores. I can't feed that to my chickens - they will get sick.

Then at the pool, my dear daughter started to just wilt. She claimed it was because her daddy got her up at 0'dark-thirty this morning to play mine craft and she was simply tired. I think her body is getting ready to tell her other things. She just turned 12 in May. I won't elaborate more than :P

Ok - Digital Fish are restricted by Amazing Naturalist and Architecture. By default this means they are restricted by Science as well. Feeding digital fish is restricted by Culinary, just like feeding regular fish is.

God Bless,
    mik
    edited July 2011
    OK, took a couple days out to get my head together and sort out a few things. Not sure if I succeeded or not, but here's hoping. I haven't been simming, so no progress to report, but I wanted to check in and let you know I was still breathing... and am still breathing... I think. *grins* It's been a hectic sort of week or so. Weather is changeable and not being my friend. Tech stuffs interfered with online time, and then sleep went and deprived me of it's company for the whole darned weekend!!!

I want to crawl under the duvet and not come out for a week! But, have to go do some study, get some dinner cooked and generally get life back on track. Hope things are well with you guys and the famblies. My son comes home on Wednesday so not likely to hear much from me from then until August 9th at the earliest! Not sure on Wi-fi up where we're holidaying.
    edited July 2011
    Enjoy your vacation - it sounds like you deserve it :)

__________ <- that has been me the last few days. Totally flattened. Long and short - my kid is now in the juvenile justice system and I can only hope things get better from here. I haven't done anything with sims lately either. If I survive his teen years I will consider myself a success as a mom. I did have a chat w/ an old High School friend and she's having similar problems with her step daughter - so I know I'm not alone. Being a parent is hard. It's a lot harder than the recruitment brochures make it out to be :P

Anyway ... lol ... I started a challenge on Moon Base Delta (Rflong's populated moon world). Just for fun, you now? Thought it would give me some diversion for a bit. There are several really good worlds for this challenge. Rf revealed that Mesa Valley was supposed to be an apocalyptic world. I had asked her a few days ago if I could have the files to tweak a bit, but I think she has the goal in mind to do it once she finds them LOL. She's such a good creator - I can't wait to see it when she's done :D

There's several other worlds and stuff in the works. When RR is done, I'm going to put myself into compiling the links to put on the Wiki. Having a multitude of choices in worlds can mean that the challenge won't get so stale after a time because there will be different things to see and discover :)

God Bless,
    mik
    edited July 2011
    Oh Mikitta, I'm so sorry, I hope your son didn't do anything too major. I work in the justice system here in the UK, and I know a lot of our younger offenders have trouble because their parents just shrug their shoulders and abandon them. Stick with him, offer him love and support (like you'd do anything different, he's your son!), but do not let him think you're not disappointed. He can learn from this, and with your help and loving support he will grow into a better man. *hugs* I hope the system isn't too hard on him.

And as I always said to the people I RP'd with, and still say to all my other online pals, Real Life First. Online will still be here after the dust settles.
    edited July 2011
    Don't let him know you're not disappointed, but don't let him know you're proud he violated public property!

Also, I'm typing up the drafts of the Wiki on Word. I'll try and come up with one big, huge update at once.
    edited July 2011
    Hey guys - I found a new challenge that I would like to try to make into alternate rules - more along the lines of if you find the regular Apocalypse Challenge too easy, add in these rules to really bake your noodle :P

It's called the Build a City challenge - not really sure if it's doable. But it's kind of an interesting diversion.

Hope you guys are doing well. Things are getting better on the home front.

God Bless,
    mik
    edited July 2011
    Update on possible alternate rule set ...

AS written, the Build A City challenge dosn't play well, so it really wouldn't mesh. Still, I like the concept and might try meddling with it. It IS a type of deprivation challenge so I'm sure I can come up with something.

The BENEFIT of it is that there is a scoring system included in how it works, and that IS something I would like to include.

Most notably, you get to add certain community lots after certain milestones are reached - like you can add parks after a certain number of milestones, you can add a salon after certain things have happened, etc..

Please be assured I do NOT plan on replacing the rules we have now. This would be an addition for people who would like a change of pace, or find the AC too easy once they have done it a few times, or simply like the concept.

I'm cogitating on it and have no idea when I'll really have anything concrete to present.

God Bless,
    mik
  • juliekayejuliekaye Posts: 108 Member
    edited July 2011
    AS written, the Build A City challenge dosn't play well, so it really wouldn't mesh.

When you say it doesn't play well, do you mean the challenge by itself or alongside the Apocolypse? I've been toying with starting a BACC but won't bother if it's pointless. Haven't had any luck downloading the blank templates and it's way too much effort to delete the towns myself. I got 5 minutes into it and quit. lol

edited July 2011
    The challenge itself as written is somewhat confusing and doesn't play well. When they converted it from TS2 to TS3, they didn't take into account the open neighborhood or the fact that sims go to rabbit holes for their jobs or the fact that story progression will put inactive sims in different jobs regardless of how many slots you have open. It talks about having to clear this or that career in order to open up slots for other sims to be able to work in that career and to be able to place new community lots, but rabbit holes ARE community lots, and if they are all placed, the sims become playable through the challenge will go get their own jobs regardless of how many slots are or are not open at available rabbit holes.

It is a worthwhile challenge, however, if it can be rewritten for the sims 3. I've got some ideas in mind that will allow a hybridized version of it to mesh very nicely with The Apocalypse Challenge rules, but should also play well on it's own. If I can pull it off, the AC/BACC hybrid will be the scored challenge.

Here is what I am thinking ... When you start your founder, you determine their job using the dice, since you won't have any rabbit holes available except the book store (yes, that will be a big change). You then place the rabbit hole for the job you have randomly determined. You may then also place any one other rabbit hole job building you wish. When your founder has cleared their job and married in their spouse, you get to place 2 more rabbit hole career buildings. For the birth of the heir, 2 more buildings, and when they move in their spouse, 2 more - until ALL the job lots have been placed. Meanwhile, clearing certain careers opens up other types of community lots. The graveyard may be placed once Ghost Hunter has been cleared, the Salon may be cleared once Stylist has been cleared (you can do that from home if you have a stylist bench), and on - It will add just that much extra complexity for those who want it, but it will be entirely optional for those who don't.

God Bless,
    mik
    edited August 2011
    Just a quick update for you guys about Rattlesnake Ridge - there are going to be 10 or 11 legacy lots. 3 of them will be priced at the Legacy Challenge price of 14700, 2 of them at the price of 9500 and the rest at the price of 11500. I'm going with making them a little MORE expensive to make the challenge a tad tougher. You have to really decide if you want to live in the sticks, or up on N.ob Hill. (can't believe the filters wouldn't render n_o_b ...)

The save file will have certain types of folks living in certain areas - the more unsavory elements will live in the lower cost areas while the snobs will live in the highest cost areas.

The challenge lots on the low end are only $1318 simoleons more than the base 64x64 lot. Mid range are $3308 simoleons more and the hoity toity challenge lots are $6508 more.

Regular housing reflects this range of pricing too - hoity toity townie lots are $5000 more, mid range are the same and low range are $500 less.

Anyway - it just occurred to me today to make a price range so folks can tailor their challenge to how hard they want it to start off with :)

God Bless,
    mik
    edited August 2011
    There will be a LITE version of Rattlesnake Ridge released on 3 August. There are NO builds in this version at all and I took out all of the trees and some other decorations. BUT, it does have all the home-world spawners (ie no China, Egypt or France spawners) in the world at large.

I'll post a link when I have it uploaded to the exchange.

Update - I'm uploading it right now ... (2 August)

God Bless,
    mik
    edited August 2011
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=4424081

The LITE version of Rattlesnake Ridge. It requires only the Legendary Wind Raker - which is part of the free Prius package.

I will also release builds to the exchange for people to use, as they are checked for bugs, errors and just plain flummery :P I try to keep things to just the expansions I have and not use store content. For that matter, I try to limit what I use to the base game as much as possible, but that's not always feasable either.

In any event - it SHOULD be compatible with most folk's games, I hope. And then you can either wait on RR builds or put in your own.

I'll let y'all know when the official RR is ready for beta testing, so you can help me make sure its in good shape for final release.

God Bless,
    mik
    edited August 2011
    Is anyone still reading and playing?

God Bless,
    mik