Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Rabbit holes. What's the big deal?

I'm not sure, but rabbit holes are the job venues, right? When you send your sim the work, it's the building the disappear into?

I hear people saying all the time how the don't like them, how the game would be much better without them..

What's the big deal? What exactly is so bad about them? What where you expecting when the seamless neighborhood was revealed? Following your business sim to the office... watching the staple papers... bosses yelling at them... awkwardness at the water cooler... WHAT GREAT FUN! :hunf:

It honestly does not bother me that our sims disappear for a few hours. I usually play big households, so it's nice not having to deal with someone for awhile. The game was like that since the begining, this is a life simulation game, not a business tycoon-ish career thingy.

I honestly don't understand why people are upset with rabbit holes. Could someone explain?

Comments

• SIMplifiedSIMplified Posts: 4,536 Member
    edited July 2011
    I'm with you on that. I have no idea what they want to see at all. Send kids to school too. Oh woooow watching the kid sit at the desk bored, taking books out, watching them look around at the other kids and ignore the teacher. What's great about that? I don't want to watch my sim work for x amount of hours, they can disappear and work while I zoom around somewhere else. I really don't mind the rabbit holes.
  • SimInTheSunSimInTheSun Posts: 3,170 New Member
    edited July 2011
    They are ok except for Restuarants and Grocery Stores and stores like that. My sims in TS2 used to meet their spouses at those places but now they can't. I don't mind the job rabbit holes now that we got professions so we can go with our sims to work too. A few rabbit holes are ok...Alot are not.

Plus I love building my own lots. And now with rabbit holes we cannot build some lots ourselves.
  • ArchivistArchivist Posts: 4,375 Member
    edited July 2011
    I don't mind the job rabbit holes. You could never see your Sims at work in the other games, so it's not as if it feels like it's missing. I think people just don't like sending their Sims to something that's supposed to be entertaining -- like going to a restaurant or the movies or City Hall (!!!) -- and then just watching a little meter while they're inside the building. They want their Sims to be waited on by waiters and waitresses, and have food brought to them and musicians serenading them. They want to see their Sims touring City Hall and looking at rooms and having [WooHoo] in those rooms and getting kicked out for having [WooHoo] in those rooms. And they want to see their Sims sitting in a big crowd of people sitting while stuff happens in front of them. It's all here in this pamphlet. *a pamphlet*
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • horsesrock2009horsesrock2009 Posts: 855 New Member
    edited July 2011
    I don't really mind all the rabbit holes, myself. Half the time when I'd play the sims 2, I'd have my sims order groceries rather than taking them to the grocery store. As for movies and stuff, I'd think you'd eventually get tired of seeing your sims sit around in a theater staring at a screen. Also, with restaurants, well, they didn't work out real well in the sims 2, it took several simhours just for the food to make it to the table, then add on a few more hours to eat and pay, and the date/outing would be over.
  • bubblemaddiebubblemaddie Posts: 1,321 New Member
    edited July 2011
    Archivist wrote:
    I don't mind the job rabbit holes. You could never see your Sims at work in the other games, so it's not as if it feels like it's missing. I think people just don't like sending their Sims to something that's supposed to be entertaining -- like going to a restaurant or the movies or City Hall (!!!) -- and then just watching a little meter while they're inside the building. They want their Sims to be waited on by waiters and waitresses, and have food brought to them and musicians serenading them. They want to see their Sims touring City Hall and looking at rooms and having [WooHoo] in those rooms and getting kicked out for having [WooHoo] in those rooms. And they want to see their Sims sitting in a big crowd of people sitting while stuff happens in front of them. It's all here in this pamphlet. *a pamphlet*

*reads pamphlet* OMG I agree with everything in that pamphlet!
  • cynjulmarcynjulmar Posts: 201 New Member
    edited July 2011
    I am fine with rabbit holes.
    edited July 2011
    Thanks! I wrote the whole thing (the first word and the second one). :mrgreen:
    9d9hOnJ.png
    edited July 2011
    Archivist wrote:
    Thanks! I wrote the whole thing (the first word and the second one). :mrgreen:

OMG you are such a great writer! you need to be published! :mrgreen:
  • NarcissaNarcissa Posts: 811 Member
    edited July 2011
    I forgot about the restaurants... or lack of. We get some stupid bistro (I don't even know what that is, let alone how to pronounce it. bis-tro? BEE-stro? BAI-stro?) and a cheap diner.. what ever it is. But then I wonder why they haven't made a real restaurant (am I spelling that right?) yet. Probably because there will never be enough time, my sims only get like 5 minutes in a club. :roll: Now I'm mad again... I really should stop ranting.
  • mikkimouse1978mikkimouse1978 Posts: 1,497 Member
    edited July 2011
    I think many people became spoiled with The Sims 2 in the sense that they could customize buildings, and especially buildings that were not resident related. If I remember right, a person could customize ANY building in The sims 2. Additionally they could also see into the buildings, go into the buildings, and much more.

With the rabbit holes, we can see the shell of the building, and if possible, we can also (with the right camera angle) see inside the building. However, the interior looks like a cheap photograph or cartoon. Before you say anything; I do know that there are some buildings that you can go into and customize, but they are rather limited.

With the promise of an open neighborhood, people were (and in many ways still are) hoping for the possibility to customize schools, to actually see their sims inside the school building, as well as see their sim inside their place of work, and possibly go to work with them.

There are many things that people were hoping for, and maybe EA Games will deliver that one day.
  • SimsGirl003SimsGirl003 Posts: 1,253 New Member
    edited July 2011
    I agree with you!

As soon as my sims goes to work and disappears, I move on and work on my other sims. I don't need to see what my busy working sim is doing at his job, it's just useless.
  • miktigermiktiger Posts: 2,234 New Member
    edited July 2011
    You can make a real non rabbithole restaurant if you have WA's. And I actually like the rabbitholes. They make having more then 1 sim working much easier.
  • ThisSIMisCrazedThisSIMisCrazed Posts: 3,719 Member
    edited July 2011
    I think rabbitholes are fine for school and careers. However, when EA replaces a simple restaurant or store with one, that is what I have an issue with. I loved making malls and restaurants in The Sims 2, and this is a step back for me.
  • bookwormtraitbookwormtrait Posts: 635 Member
    edited July 2011
    I'm fine with rabbit holes, I don't need to see my sim at school.
  • NarcissaNarcissa Posts: 811 Member
    edited July 2011
    miktiger wrote:
    You can make a real non rabbithole restaurant if you have WA's. And I actually like the rabbitholes. They make having more then 1 sim working much easier.

Aren't the ones in WA just buying a plate and it magically ends up in your sims inventory? Well, maybe not, but I don't do WA stuff much. We need real cooks, real waiters, stuff like that.

Random off topic part: Who is the person shooting herself (that sounds odd ^_^ ) in your siggy. She looks weirdly familiar.
    edited July 2011
    I actually already am! http://amzn.to/pmKUib
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • yoda65yoda65 Posts: 3,410 Member
    edited July 2011
    Narcissa wrote:
    I forgot about the restaurants... or lack of. We get some stupid bistro (I don't even know what that is, let alone how to pronounce it. bis-tro? BEE-stro? BAI-stro?) and a cheap diner.. what ever it is. But then I wonder why they haven't made a real restaurant (am I spelling that right?) yet. Probably because there will never be enough time, my sims only get like 5 minutes in a club. :roll: Now I'm mad again... I really should stop ranting.
    You can say "BEE-stro" it's a french name for small neighborhood restaurant. :mrgreen: I'm fine with rabbit holes, and you can also create or find in the exchange, some greats community lots which Sims can visited. :D
    27-11-2015_185647_zpsyfowoxwm.png
    Gallery link - I wish Toddlers, Weather, Pets… in Sims 4
    edited July 2011
    Archivist wrote:
    I actually already am! http://amzn.to/pmKUib

OH wow and its selling for almost 2 bucks....you must be a big hollywood writer! 8)