Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My world lags a lot

mcorralmcorral Posts: 512 Member
I created a world and when I tested it I realised that it lags a lot. I haven't found a sim stuck or anything. In the beginning it was ok, but after a while it started to stop, though animations and music still was running fine. After 5 minutes it was completely unplayable because it stops every 2 seconds. It has no mods or CC.

Please, Anyone?

Comments

• Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited June 2011
    After you finished everything did you reapply routing? Did you check for road connects and make sure roads and sidewalks were not overlapping?

When you added houses to your lots did you make sure you did not turn them. If there are spawners on the lots every turn multiplies the spawners. Also did you make sure you didn't have too many spawners? Those are some of the things that can make a world laggy. Also using Moveobjects on in any area or items sims use will now create lag. Like putting tables to gether, or counters at odd angles, or forcing doors where they are not two spaces away from stairs and windows too - but mostly doors. it was fine in sims 2, but getting wonky in Sims 3.

But first you need to make sure you reapplied routing paint after you were done or the world will be unplayable.
    Post edited by Unknown User on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• mcorralmcorral Posts: 512 Member
    edited June 2011
    Yes, I checked all that and there is nothing that I can find... The most shocking thing is that I've played custom worlds with much more content than mine, so it is not that my PC cannot run such a big world...

Thanks Writin_Reg. Any more ideas?
  • IngridIngersollIngridIngersoll Posts: 114 New Member
    edited June 2011
    Adding things like birds, gulls, and even things like waterfalls, air balloons add a lot of lag. I love the gulls and ocean waves, they really make a world feel real. But place only one or 2 of them around your world .
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited June 2011
    Hi, :D

Do you have an overview picture of the world we can see?

Do you have any highrises?
    Small islands? Bridges?
    Have you checked each lot for anything which will stop them?

edited June 2011
    Thank all of you for your support.

I've checked every household and sim and they do their things without any problem. I checked every road, connection, sidewalk and intersection and everything seems fine.

Would any of you be so kind to test it? I'd appreciate it so much. I don't know how to export the world to the exchange though...

Thank you.
  • tjstreaktjstreak Posts: 808 Member
    edited June 2011
    How many lots do you have?

I have noticed that while there is not a direct correlation between the number of lots and lag, there is an indirect correlation. Specifically, the more lots you have, the more likely it is that one (or more) of them will have something to screw up your game.

Its not just cc lots, but EA lots as well. I have had sims get stuck on lots I pulled out of EA's worlds.

Sims have trouble with elevators, and elevators tend to be major congestion points. You might want to reduce the number of highrises.

I have found sims tend to go to and get stuck on empty lots. I have been pulling empty lots out of my world. This leads to a Hobson's choice of sorts: do you put in a lot of empty lots for others to build on, knowing they can cause lag, or do you let users add their own lots, with the risk that using Edit Town might cause lag?

A game really does not need more than 100 lots, and 150 seems to be the upper limits of what it can handle. (50 residences housing an average of 3 sims supports a population of 150. Then you need to think real carefully about the number of community lots in your world.)

That the problem did not appear immediately, but has grown over time, is pretty strong evidence that you have a routing problem.

Another thing to look at: how many parking spaces do you have? Each parking space tends to spawn a car. In no time, you can have 100 or more cars running around your world, clogging things up. Mods like Twallans overwatch help clean out these cars.

How many sims do you have in your world? Lots alone don't cause lag. Someone has to get stuck on those lots. If you have more than 150 sims, you need to do a culling. Or you can use Twallan's story progression to control it for you. (Of course, keeping the number of residential lots down also tends to control population.)
    edited June 2011
    mcorral wrote:
    Thank all of you for your support.

I've checked every household and sim and they do their things without any problem. I checked every road, connection, sidewalk and intersection and everything seems fine.

Would any of you be so kind to test it? I'd appreciate it so much. I don't know how to export the world to the exchange though...

Thank you.

Hi,

You shouldn't upload it to the exchange if it's not working right. You can upload it to Mediafire- it's a free hosting site. :)

To export right click on the world layer- where you add a layer- and choose Add/Edit description.
    You'll need a picture- there is information in the CAW FAQ if you want to make one or you can use the one from CAW- C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 Create a World Tool = defaultWorldThumb

Export it and it's placed in Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Exports folder

If you upload it then I'll take a look but I can't promise much. :)
    edited June 2011
    Thank you so much. This is the link

Again, THANK YOU.
    edited June 2011
    I'm downloading it but I'm also on my way to go swimming... I'll be back in a few hours and take a look. :)

So others will take a look too, I hope. :D
    edited June 2011
    Thank you so much rflong7. Have a nice swimming and check out your gifts :wink:
  • white_lily_1988white_lily_1988 Posts: 1,664 Member
    edited June 2011
    Did you apply any sims non-routable painting in your world? If yes you may want to check if you applied it correctly and it won't cause problems for sims to get from point A to point B. When I was working on my last world I applied some Non-routing paint in wrong way (it touched one of the roads); It lagged a lot until I realized why
    edited June 2011
    Hi,

Okay- I first checked some lots and I notice you have rotated many of the lots. Which isn't a big deal in itself unless there are spawners on the lots. The Butterfly Esplanade is one, the junkyard is another (they're under the parking lot)
    Every time you rotate the lot it will leave a new set of spawners in that rotation spot.

Many of your parks/fishing lots have double spawners probably from placing a lot down/deleting it/replacing the lot. The Cemetery has one fish spawner under the building. :)

The Central Park has a fence all around the lot at the first square. While there are gates they were placed there with Moveobjects on and will cause all kinds of routing problems.
    I've learned it's best to leave open areas through fences or if you want a gate then leave entry areas- open spaces in front of the gate for Sims to congregate and enter. Although this doesn't always work either.

....pictures removed... done with 'em.

Make sure anywhere you don't want Sims going is routing as no Sim... but also make sure they can get to any lot. Don't surround an area or leave holes.
    Might want to check all your Routing paint such as the no camera which keeps out both Sims and the camera. :)

^.^ I can spell. :lol:

edited June 2011
    Well I was just coming back to report similar but did not find as much as Rflong for sure. But did see the excess spawners and the cemetary fence problem.

I played both your Cole Millers vampire sim to check out downtown (nice looking Sim by the way) and then moved one of my own in an empty lot near the waterfall fishing spot. He is an angler and artist - and he wanted to fish a place or two where there was no water - from Rflongs pic you can see the fish near the bench where one misplaced spawner is and is the spot my silly sim wanted to fish.

I think if you manually delete all those excess and misplaced spawners and check every lot for anymore misplaced spawners - delete them (not the lot as deleting lots does not remove spawners), then follow rest of Rflongs list and reccommendations your lag will cease. Truthfully though you had less lag than two other worlds I was testing, so you should be all set once you do those fixes.

I was surprised to see all those Highrises and I did not see any related lag at any of them during the time I played your vampire. But if the highrises do ever create lag I understand if you rebuild the elevator shafts, it will keep the elevator from ever getting stuck - at least that is what I have been told.

TOO many spawners though, spawners where they don't belong, an routing paint seem to be the most causes of lags in most worlds I see anyway.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

edited June 2011
    If you know a lot was placed and then rotated but you don't see the extra spawners -like the junkyard... you should check under ground- just dig a little and they pop right up if the ground is clear. :)

If you let me see the CAW files I can check your routing but it's not necessary. You need to check by going to view and click on the Show Routing Data- then look at where there shouldn't be any white routing lines. If you see little white dots then you missed a spot.
    If you need to see under the world objects to make sure you can go to View/Layers and un-click Objects. This will hide all the objects on the world map and you can see right under them for routing paint. :)

OHh!~ I forgot to say thank you- Thank you! :mrgreen: And you don't have to gift. ;)
  • Damienf519Damienf519 Posts: 6,991 Member
    edited June 2011
    Rflong7 wrote:
    Hi,

Okay- I first checked some lots and I notice you have rotated many of the lots. Which isn't a big deal in itself unless there are spawners on the lots. The Butterfly Esplanade is one, the junkyard is another (they're under the parking lot)
    Every time you rotate the lot it will leave a new set of spawners in that rotation spot.

Many of your parks/fishing lots have double spawners probably from placing a lot down/deleting it/replacing the lot. The Cemetery has one fish spawner under the building. :)

The Central Park has a fence all around the lot at the first square. While there are gates they were placed there with Moveobjects on and will cause all kinds of routing problems.
    I've learned it's best to leave open areas through fences or if you want a gate then leave entry areas- open spaces in front of the gate for Sims to congregate and enter. Although this doesn't always work either.

8c5485f7.jpg
    2d28ca8b.jpg
    751ab650.jpg
    1cb9621c.jpg
    ed1cbbf9.jpg
    f3c3b10e.jpg
    e3350ba5.jpg
    aa23e2ba.jpg
    fe437ec8.jpg
    e6f0c496.jpg

Make sure anywhere you don't want Sims going is routing as no Sim... but also make sure they can get to any lot. Don't surround an area or leave holes.
    Might want to check all your Routing paint such as the no camera which keeps out both Sims and the camera. :)

^.^ I can spell. :lol:

Rflong7,

It looks like he might also have too many spawners. I never added that many to one lot. I would imagine that, that would cause some serious framerate issues, on all but perhaps the fastest machines available now.
  • Damienf519Damienf519 Posts: 6,991 Member
    edited June 2011
    Mcorral,

You might have to also get rid of a significant number of those spawners in order to reduce lag.
    edited June 2011
    Damienf519 wrote:
    Mcorral,

You might have to also get rid of a significant number of those spawners in order to reduce lag.

There are a lot of spawners in the Butterfly Espa... building of EAs. Each time it was rotated they were placed again. They'll have to go through and decide which ones they want to keep and try not to keep any doubles in the lot.

Since you do have so many in butterflies and insects in your lots you won't need much in the world. The game will render the world first and then the lots as they are needed- proximity wise. :)
    edited June 2011
    Hi. Thank you all, thank you very much.

Have you ever experienced that CAW, after exporting the world, just moved things to places that were not before in the world file?

Yesterday I exported the world so you could test it and I saw that in the original world, the one I'm editing, the water tower was not on the road, but it was in the exported world. The same happens with the names of many lots, CAW remove the names or changes them...

I also realised yesterday thanks to Writin_Reg that I had a routing issue. I didn't know that CAW did not set high stepness areas automatically as non-routable. After seeing all routable lines I saw that there were a lot of broken ones. Checking a big world like this in a so detailed level as that, looking for every single routing line is a huge hard work. I suppose a good coffee and a huge load of patience will help me in such labour.

Again, I didn't know that rotating lots duplicated the spawners inside. And again also, CAW is moving things while exporting the world, because I have never placed a fish spawner in land. I was very careful with that. Maybe the routing issue has someting to do with that. I'll check all spawners again.

I never thought this tool was so... beta... It should be improved dramatically, or at least come with a manual telling people about these issues.

Writin_Reg, I'm glad you like Millers, he's great. Check your gifts as well.

Thank you all for your time and wisdom :) and now I should leave because a huge world is waiting... will I ever finish it?...
    edited June 2011
    Mcoral - Thank you so much, but you didn't have to gift me. I was happy to try and help.

Yeah, I will definitely play that Vampire again. He is quite likeable for a Vampire and very skilled in everything.

In dreams - I LIVE!

edited June 2011
    Hi, :)

EA lot names have to be edited in EIG after being placed to keep their correct names. You don't have to rename them but you do have to change/add something- like a space.
    It's been that way since Ambitions, I believe. I've used a few and it's that way- it might have been before then but I didn't use any before Ambitions.

It does say to paint with the routing paint where we don't want Sims to go. The only place not needed is the water. :)

Duplicating spawners when rotating lots isn't a CAW thing, it's a game thing. It happens in the game. Not many know about it and can really mess up lots and worlds this way.

It's as beta as the game. :lol:

edited June 2011
    Hi.

Thank you! I didn't know about the lot names issue.

I have more questions. Let's see if I can explain it in English.

After seeing all routing lines I saw some of them broken. I use the smooth or smooth gentle tool in order to show the lines. But I discovered that some of those broken lines were not broken at all when you zoom in/out or rotate the camera, I mean, depending on the angle/distance the lines are/are not broken. Are these lines really broken?

Is there any way to increase the number of lines in a path? In my world there's a strip of land that enters the ocean and it is a bit narrow. The path lines are like in zig-zag and not straight, so the sim would go from side to side instead of straight-ahead...

Thank you.
    edited June 2011
    Hi,

It doesn't work like that. As long as there is room for them to get to an area then don't worry about zig zag lines. :)

edited June 2011
    Ok. I've been checking thoroughtly the whole world for broken routing lines for 4 days and finally I can say that there's no one, but my game is still laggin when playing (not when paused). Camera moves smooth and fine when the game is paused but when I play it, it lags a lot.

I haven't seen any sim where they are not supposed to be (on the water or walking through mountains.

Please, I need help! :( I need more ideas of what can me wrong!!!

Thank you.
    edited June 2011
    Hi,

I can look at your world files and see how your routing paint is set up... other then your lots, that's the main problem which causes lag. :)
    edited June 2011
    Thank you rflong7. When I get home this evening I'll upload it to mediafire.

You're my angel! :mrgreen: