Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Genetic Anomalies, Terminal Diseases, Sims with Special Needs

Damaris1972Damaris1972 Posts: 29 New Member
Let me start out by saying that I know a lot of people will find this post upsetting, and probably will completely dismiss the idea of ever wanting to include "sad" things in TS3, but I would like to explore the idea nonetheless...

1.) I would like to have an option (that could be turned on and off in the gameplay options) for Sims to randomly develop terminal diseases (such as cancer). At times I find the whole concept of "here's how long your Sim will live, so you know how much fun they can have in their lifetime". I would like to have the idea of a tragically shortened lifespan, and the urgency to do and see things while they are still able to do so. Call me morbid, but I believe this could add a whole new dimension of story-telling to the game. Your Sim could start by having strange symptoms, and if they choose to go to the hospital they could be told that they have a terminal disease and should start preparing for the end. Maybe your sick Sim could gain 3x - 5x the normal experience points for fulfilling wishes during this last period of their life. They could work on a will and file it at City Hall. There are many things that could tie in with this.

2.) Why don't we have "little people" Sims, or Sims with disfigured bone structures? Why can't we have Sims with cerebral palsy? (again, this option could be toggled on or off). I rather like the idea of not knowing with 100% certainty that my pregnant Sim is going to give birth to a perfectly healthy Sim child with no genetic anomalies whatsoever. I like the idea of surprises and challenges!

3.) Speaking of challenges, could we maybe have Sims with special needs (developmental disabilities, physical disabilities)? We could have Sims who are intellectually challenged... Sims with autism... maybe even Sims in wheelchairs! Your adult Sim could have a wish to adopt a child Sim with special needs, and they could receive a stipend from the Sim government to help with expenses. Your special Sim child could have obstacles to overcome in everyday life, and their parent or guardian would be with them every step of the way. When a Sim with special needs fulfills a wish (even one that seems small by a "typical" Sim's standards), they could gain big points along with a boost to their mood, and perhaps they could have a lifetime wish such as "Live Independently in My Own Home" or "Get a Full-Time Job". If your Sim with special needs dies with a fulfilled lifetime wish, there could be a random chance that your city names a vocational center or group home after them, in honor of their perseverance in living a fulfilling life and reaching for their dreams.

I want to see more diversity and uncertainty in the life cycle of the Sims. It would provide more challenges, more excitement and wonderful stories. Opinions, please.

Comments

• negbynegby Posts: 26
    edited June 2011
    Your ideas are great and very well thought out. Sometimes Sim life can be a little too predictable...
  • beaglelover2008beaglelover2008 Posts: 4,758 Member
    edited June 2011
    I don't like it, respectfully. I like playing the Sims so I can get AWAY from all of those things. Dealing with them in reality is hard enough. I like that all Sims are healthy, and (mostly) happy.
  • Damaris1972Damaris1972 Posts: 29 New Member
    edited June 2011
    I don't like it, respectfully. I like playing the Sims so I can get AWAY from all of those things. Dealing with them in reality is hard enough. I like that all Sims are healthy, and (mostly) happy.

I respect your opinion... but what if you had the option to turn those features on or off? That way everyone could have what they want... those players who want all Sims to be healthy and happy all the time could turn those features off.

I, personally, like the opposite... I like unpredictability, challenge and occasional tragedy. Sometimes I feel that things in the Sim universe are too easy.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    edited June 2011
    Yes I like this idea as well as long as I have the option to cut it on or off.
  • CouriervaughanCouriervaughan Posts: 20,570 Member
    edited June 2011
    Bad ideas for the games, Some disable simmers don't want diaable sims like Wheelchair, Mental challenge, cripple in the game. This subject have discussed in BBS several times in the past.
    edited June 2011
    Bad ideas for the games, Some disable simmers don't want diaable sims like Wheelchair, Mental challenge, cripple in the game. This subject have discussed in BBS several times in the past.

That's why the player would have the option to turn those features off.
    edited June 2011
    I guess, in my mind, physical and mental disabilities are not "negative" or "bad", they're just different. They would add a dimension of realism to the game.

Yes, terminal diseases are definitely "negative" and would add a darker side to the Sim universe. Perhaps I'm just growing a bit tired of everything being so predictable and easy to direct. Assuming your Sim doesn't get walled into a house with no doors and starve to death, have a meteor fall on them or try to fix electronics with a low Handiness score (and, truthfully, I've had Sims with ZERO Handiness score fix TVs and computers with no issues - it happens ALL THE TIME - why is this?), you can expect your Sim to live a very long, happy, healthy life. While this is a very cheerful thought, it isn't very challenging :(

It's already so easy for them to make money, fall in love and reach their goals. Why can't things be more challenging if the player wishes them to be?

(BTW, I appreciate everyone's feedback.)
  • zanysazyzanysazy Posts: 2,210 New Member
    edited June 2011
    I really dont see why people would want this in the game? It would just spark huge controversary and trolls taking advantage of it with crude offensive jokes, this game is supposed to be light hearted
  • Coffefreak4LifeCoffefreak4Life Posts: 8,082 Member
    edited June 2011

That's why the player would have the option to turn those features off.

that doesent address the issue of most people not wanting it in the sims in the first place . I dont mind realism but there's a line and this is it. Im curious if you live with a disability or if you just think it would be "cool" and "realistic" for realism-sake. I can tell you from first hand experience its not fun in real life and it certainly wouldn't be in the sims .
  • ladynaavaladynaava Posts: 1,243 New Member
    edited June 2011
    This is not a feature I would want or use.
  • JerryNarutoUzJerryNarutoUz Posts: 652 New Member
    edited June 2011
    I don't see this actually coming.
    They're good ideas, and it is also cool that you can turn it on and off, but, why make the game slower for people that actually don't want this.
    Remember the glitch of stretching babies? (if not, google it)
    It was scary, now imagine sims with bone deformations, I would be freaked enough to never turn the option on again.
    I'd actually add midgets or sudden seizures that may cause death, but other kind of malformations, cancer or disabled sims would be too sadistic. Maybe temporal disablements, and add wheelchairs and stuff like that but not the SAD things.
  • TurtleyAwesomeTurtleyAwesome Posts: 511 New Member
    edited June 2011
    While I wouldn't go as far as cancer or anything, I think it would be a nice touch if the sims weren't all picture perfect. It would be interesting if a sim *needed* glasses or maybe braces, rather than someone putting glasses on the sim just because it looks good. Or a sim could be allergic to something (like cats when pets come out) and need to take a medication for it. If you want a shortened lifespan, there could be some illnesses a sim can catch, but could be treated somehow if the simmer doesn't want the sim to die.

I feel like it would be a good idea if it was toned down, because people don't want extremely sad things in their game. Plus, things like wheelchairs and, say, a blind sim might take a lot of work and have very little payoff in regards to fan reactions. And there are people who would prefer to make fun of or punish sims with disabilities. People already do this to fat sims, so why not sims with disabilities?

TL;DR: Good idea in moderation.
  • Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited June 2011
    I can tell you right now that EA will not touch this with a ten-foot pole, and I'll tell you why:

You are asking EA to make massive changes in the game; everything from redesigning the buildings to accomodate the handicapped to changing the animations that would be necessary for these Sims; not to mention that you want all of this done solely for *your* entertainment because you find the game boring as it is.

My oldest daughter has muscular dystrophy, and as a result of this, she is in a wheelchair and now needs to carry a portable oxygen tank in order to breath because her lungs are underdeveloped as a result of scoliosis. Now, let's say EA makes my daughter as a Sim. In order to do her disability justice, they'd have to show how she gets out of her wheelchair and on the toilet. Same thing with taking a shower or a bath. They can't take shortcuts, or they wouldn't be showing the "reality" of her disability. Let's also bear in mind that her house would have to be specially designed to accomodate that wheelchair.

Are we having fun yet?

Let's take my sister. She got breast cancer about five years ago. Thrills and chills...let's follow *her* Sim down to the hospital where she can get chemotherapy; then you get the joy of following her home and seeing her vomit in the toilet because of all the chemicals she had to take; not to mention the radiation therapy and seeing her hair fall out, plus having a breast removed by surgery. And EA would *have* to put all that in, or they're not describing the reality of *her* condition.

Are we having fun yet?

Then, of course, there is my next-door neighbor whose son has cerebral palsy and has mental disabilities as well...yeah, a lot of fun playing a family with a child like that...their joys and sorrows and the adjustments that they have to make, especially when they discover that their only child has a major disability.

Are we having fun yet?

I could go on and on, but I won't. I apologize in advance if my response makes you feel badly, but I just wanted you to know that, for those of us who have to live with the reality of the types of disability and disease that you describe, it's anything *but* fun, and I don't see EA even giving us the option to put that in our games. In fact, I think this would be a major turn off for many players.

In fact, I have to congratulate EA for keeping this game as light-hearted and entertaining as it has been to date, and resisting the suggestions of players to add such grim realities as teen pregnancy, drug and alcohol addiction, homicide, and yes, severely disabled Sims, just because some players find this game too "boring" and want the game to be more "realistic". Sorry, but *that* kind of reality I don't need...even in an optional version that EA is unlikely to make.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • CouriervaughanCouriervaughan Posts: 20,570 Member
    edited June 2011
    Jarsie9 wrote:
    I can tell you right now that EA will not touch this with a ten-foot pole, and I'll tell you why:

You are asking EA to make massive changes in the game; everything from redesigning the buildings to accomodate the handicapped to changing the animations that would be necessary for these Sims; not to mention that you want all of this done solely for *your* entertainment because you find the game boring as it is.

My oldest daughter has muscular dystrophy, and as a result of this, she is in a wheelchair and now needs to carry a portable oxygen tank in order to breath because her lungs are underdeveloped as a result of scoliosis. Now, let's say EA makes my daughter as a Sim. In order to do her disability justice, they'd have to show how she gets out of her wheelchair and on the toilet. Same thing with taking a shower or a bath. They can't take shortcuts, or they wouldn't be showing the "reality" of her disability. Let's also bear in mind that her house would have to be specially designed to accomodate that wheelchair.

Are we having fun yet?

Let's take my sister. She got breast cancer about five years ago. Thrills and chills...let's follow *her* Sim down to the hospital where she can get chemotherapy; then you get the joy of following her home and seeing her vomit in the toilet because of all the chemicals she had to take; not to mention the radiation therapy and seeing her hair fall out, plus having a breast removed by surgery. And EA would *have* to put all that in, or they're not describing the reality of *her* condition.

Are we having fun yet?

Then, of course, there is my next-door neighbor whose son has cerebral palsy and has mental disabilities as well...yeah, a lot of fun playing a family with a child like that...their joys and sorrows and the adjustments that they have to make, especially when they discover that their only child has a major disability.

Are we having fun yet?

I could go on and on, but I won't. I apologize in advance if my response makes you feel badly, but I just wanted you to know that, for those of us who have to live with the reality of the types of disability and disease that you describe, it's anything *but* fun, and I don't see EA even giving us the option to put that in our games. In fact, I think this would be a major turn off for many players.

In fact, I have to congratulate EA for keeping this game as light-hearted and entertaining as it has been to date, and resisting the suggestions of players to add such grim realities as teen pregnancy, drug and alcohol addiction, homicide, and yes, severely disabled Sims, just because some players find this game too "boring" and want the game to be more "realistic". Sorry, but *that* kind of reality I don't need...even in an optional version that EA is unlikely to make.

Strongly agree with you on this. I am advocate for disabled for 14 years as a member of Human Rights Commentee for Missouri State Mental Health Department and plus working at St Joseph State Hosp for 3 years and aide/driver for Special Service of St Joseph School Distract for 3 years.
    edited June 2011
    I'm sorry for being so obnoxious. I know how rude my reply sounds, but ideas like this just chap my hide. I'm pretty sure that the OP didn't realize that some people would see this as a mockery of their pain and suffering, and I'm sure he/she didn't mean any harm by it.

It's just a personal issue with me. EA meant for this game to be entertaining, and for the life of me, I can't seem to find anything entertaining about other people's suffering, espcially having experienced some of it first-hand. I forget how many surgeries my oldest daughter had to have between the time she was a baby until she turned fifteen or so; not to mention that she's had numerous hospital stays since then for various reasons; the latest one was two weeks ago for issues with her lungs...hence the oxygen tanks.

Plus, my sister has cancer again. It was in remission for awhile, but I think it's back, and I'm not sure she's going to make it this time.
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • GreatBigSeaGreatBigSea Posts: 1,378 Member
    edited June 2011
    Let me start out by saying that I know a lot of people will find this post upsetting, and probably will completely dismiss the idea of ever wanting to include "sad" things in TS3, but I would like to explore the idea nonetheless...

1.) I would like to have an option (that could be turned on and off in the gameplay options) for Sims to randomly develop terminal diseases (such as cancer). At times I find the whole concept of "here's how long your Sim will live, so you know how much fun they can have in their lifetime". I would like to have the idea of a tragically shortened lifespan, and the urgency to do and see things while they are still able to do so. Call me morbid, but I believe this could add a whole new dimension of story-telling to the game. Your Sim could start by having strange symptoms, and if they choose to go to the hospital they could be told that they have a terminal disease and should start preparing for the end. Maybe your sick Sim could gain 3x - 5x the normal experience points for fulfilling wishes during this last period of their life. They could work on a will and file it at City Hall. There are many things that could tie in with this.

2.) Why don't we have "little people" Sims, or Sims with disfigured bone structures? Why can't we have Sims with cerebral palsy? (again, this option could be toggled on or off). I rather like the idea of not knowing with 100% certainty that my pregnant Sim is going to give birth to a perfectly healthy Sim child with no genetic anomalies whatsoever. I like the idea of surprises and challenges!

3.) Speaking of challenges, could we maybe have Sims with special needs (developmental disabilities, physical disabilities)? We could have Sims who are intellectually challenged... Sims with autism... maybe even Sims in wheelchairs! Your adult Sim could have a wish to adopt a child Sim with special needs, and they could receive a stipend from the Sim government to help with expenses. Your special Sim child could have obstacles to overcome in everyday life, and their parent or guardian would be with them every step of the way. When a Sim with special needs fulfills a wish (even one that seems small by a "typical" Sim's standards), they could gain big points along with a boost to their mood, and perhaps they could have a lifetime wish such as "Live Independently in My Own Home" or "Get a Full-Time Job". If your Sim with special needs dies with a fulfilled lifetime wish, there could be a random chance that your city names a vocational center or group home after them, in honor of their perseverance in living a fulfilling life and reaching for their dreams.

I want to see more diversity and uncertainty in the life cycle of the Sims. It would provide more challenges, more excitement and wonderful stories. Opinions, please.

I love story-making in the Sims! I think it would add a new dimension, as well as open peoples' eyes, and provide some exposure to educate people. However, my brother has autism. It is not an "intellectual challenge" he's likely smarter than most people in his NORMAL, INCLUSIVE high-school, and it is a mental disability/condition. That's all. I would love to be able to play with this, and make my family, do stories, etc. However, it would probably (for ease of programming) just have like:

1) Cancer, Diabetes, ALS

2)thalidomide, no limb, wheel chair (paralysis, old age)

3) Autism, Cerebral palsy, Downs Syndrome
  • KitKat383838KitKat383838 Posts: 1,405 New Member
    edited June 2011
    While I wouldn't go as far as cancer or anything, I think it would be a nice touch if the sims weren't all picture perfect. It would be interesting if a sim *needed* glasses or maybe braces, rather than someone putting glasses on the sim just because it looks good. Or a sim could be allergic to something (like cats when pets come out) and need to take a medication for it. If you want a shortened lifespan, there could be some illnesses a sim can catch, but could be treated somehow if the simmer doesn't want the sim to die.

I feel like it would be a good idea if it was toned down, because people don't want extremely sad things in their game. Plus, things like wheelchairs and, say, a blind sim might take a lot of work and have very little payoff in regards to fan reactions. And there are people who would prefer to make fun of or punish sims with disabilities. People already do this to fat sims, so why not sims with disabilities?

TL;DR: Good idea in moderation.

I like your ideas of allergies, braces, glasses and things like that. I actually think that terminal diseases would be interesting, but so so sad. Much too sad for the Sims. I can just see how it would really hurt people who have been affected by cancer(I, fortunately, am not one of those people.) As for special needs sims, NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. I just...NO. it seems wrong.
    edited June 2011

I love story-making in the Sims! I think it would add a new dimension, as well as open peoples' eyes, and provide some exposure to educate people. However, my brother has autism. It is not an "intellectual challenge" he's likely smarter than most people in his NORMAL, INCLUSIVE high-school, and it is a mental disability/condition. That's all. I would love to be able to play with this, and make my family, do stories, etc. However, it would probably (for ease of programming) just have like:

1) Cancer, Diabetes, ALS

2)thalidomide, no limb, wheel chair (paralysis, old age)

3) Autism, Cerebral palsy, Downs Syndrome

Unbelievable. Simply unbelievable that players would love to have EA's Dev Team put this kind of pain and suffering in the Sims 3 *just so that they could make dramatic stories*.

Can you possibly get any more insensitive or is it too much for you to realize that for people who are actually experiencing these kinds of conditions or who are the primary caretakers of loved ones who have these conditions, this is NOT A GAME?!?

My God....I am just speechless. I'd better quit before I say something that will get me banned for sure.

B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • > @Damaris1972 said:
    > Let me start out by saying that I know a lot of people will find this post upsetting, and probably will completely dismiss the idea of ever wanting to include "sad" things in TS3, but I would like to explore the idea nonetheless...
    >
    > 1.) I would like to have an option (that could be turned on and off in the gameplay options) for Sims to randomly develop terminal diseases (such as cancer). At times I find the whole concept of "here's how long your Sim will live, so you know how much fun they can have in their lifetime". I would like to have the idea of a tragically shortened lifespan, and the urgency to do and see things while they are still able to do so. Call me morbid, but I believe this could add a whole new dimension of story-telling to the game. Your Sim could start by having strange symptoms, and if they choose to go to the hospital they could be told that they have a terminal disease and should start preparing for the end. Maybe your sick Sim could gain 3x - 5x the normal experience points for fulfilling wishes during this last period of their life. They could work on a will and file it at City Hall. There are many things that could tie in with this.
    >
    > 2.) Why don't we have "little people" Sims, or Sims with disfigured bone structures? Why can't we have Sims with cerebral palsy? (again, this option could be toggled on or off). I rather like the idea of not knowing with 100% certainty that my pregnant Sim is going to give birth to a perfectly healthy Sim child with no genetic anomalies whatsoever. I like the idea of surprises and challenges!
    >
    > 3.) Speaking of challenges, could we maybe have Sims with special needs (developmental disabilities, physical disabilities)? We could have Sims who are intellectually challenged... Sims with autism... maybe even Sims in wheelchairs! Your adult Sim could have a wish to adopt a child Sim with special needs, and they could receive a stipend from the Sim government to help with expenses. Your special Sim child could have obstacles to overcome in everyday life, and their parent or guardian would be with them every step of the way. When a Sim with special needs fulfills a wish (even one that seems small by a "typical" Sim's standards), they could gain big points along with a boost to their mood, and perhaps they could have a lifetime wish such as "Live Independently in My Own Home" or "Get a Full-Time Job". If your Sim with special needs dies with a fulfilled lifetime wish, there could be a random chance that your city names a vocational center or group home after them, in honor of their perseverance in living a fulfilling life and reaching for their dreams.
    >
    > I want to see more diversity and uncertainty in the life cycle of the Sims. It would provide more challenges, more excitement and wonderful stories. Opinions, please.

As a gamer with a disability, I am very appreciative of the number of worlds gaming has opened up to me. Video games have allowed me to play as a small, green, frog-like blob crossing a street, a magic-wielding knight who rescues princess Zelda, an underground street racer, a professional hockey player, an Italian Renaissance warrior who works with Leonardo Da Vinci to fight a global conspiracy, and a leader of numerous armies of knights, mages, and thieves in various fantasy worlds. So, when the Sims first came out, you can imagine how I felt about finally being able to roleplay as me ... almost.

I have read on other forums about how the developers consulted with LGBT advocates to mirror the state of gay/lesbian affairs in America and the creation of the gender customization options in Sims 4. I don't see why they cannot do the same with some disability advocates to redesign Sim homes and neighborhoods in future games (though I do agree that it is probably too late to include this in Sims 4). Additionally, one of the areas where I have struggled with my disability is finding meaningful employment. With regard to the point about finding employment being a life goal, I for one think it would send a positive message to see disabled Sims as office workers, writers, programmers, business owners, or politicians.

I also feel that any disabilities included would need to be included on some kind of sliding scale. Some people have perfect vision, some are totally blind, and I am somewhere in the middle. I for one am tired of seeing glasses trated as some type of Mr. PotatoHead-style fashion accessory; I can assure you that my mother's driving glasses and my grandmother's glasses are not just fashion accessories but physical necessity. Glasses would not work on me, and yet I still have some sight. Often I feel with disability in games it is either all or nothing; The Sims would need to develop a way to account for the many shades of gray.

I understand that not everyone feels the same way I do. Many play games to escape from reality; this to me was the appeal of fantasy games. But as far as The Sims is concerned, I always felt that promoting individuality and creating a truly diverse world of people was what this game was about. Some players will want to include disability, others will not, but those who want it should be allowed to have the option. At the very least, I think they could put some ramps at the street corners and create some disabled Sims as NPCs to at least get people used to the idea.
  • EA_LannaEA_Lanna Posts: 3,867 EA Community Manager
    Hello,

This isn't a section for discussing ideas for the game. This section of the forum is dedicated for Forum specific feedback. As this is in the wrong space and a super old thread to boot I will lock this. If you would like to share Ideas for The Sims 4 check out The Sims 4 Feedback space. :) I'd add taking a quick peek at the threads in there first, is a good rule of thumb to make sure there isn't a thread created on this topic already.

Thanks,

Lanna
    • New Simmers, take a moment to read through this thread.
    • The Help Center is hosted on Answers HQ. Check out EA_Mage's thread on why.
    • Please post all Sims 4 Bug Reports, Technical and Gameplay issues in the AHQ Sims 4 Section.
    • Here is a quick link to The Sims forum rules
    oa2aib6yaucg.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top