Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would buy Pets if it wasn't for the Generations patch.

Comments

• LeahTLeahT Posts: 730 Member
    edited June 2011
    They would use a mod to get rid of it because random townies would sprout up with lots of body hair and it would just be weird having a bunch of hairy female sims running around. I would download that mod, and I never download mods that tinker with preset stuff like that. Ever! It would just be weird. Most girls shave regularly or cover up when they don't, so it's just unneeded, it's not sexist at all to not give girls body hair. And if you want body hair for females, I'm sure someone will make a mod for it. Someone has made a mod for facial hair, so I'm sure there will be one for body hair. And if you don't use mods, tough luck. You'll have to deal with their apparent "sexism", which isn't so sexist. I think it's a fine game that's very enjoyable and apparently plenty others do, too, and that's why it is so successful.

Happy Simming.
  • niac1234niac1234 Posts: 6,735 Member
    edited June 2011
    Without wanting to bang on too much about it, I see this body hair thing as another example of backwards thinking sexism on the part of the EA people. Women as well as men have hair on their legs and under their arms, no matter what advertising tells us. It's just that many, and not all, choose to remove it. If they wanted to put in a fun workaround, they'd make it possible to shave legs and so on, or go to the beauty salon.

Another example of sexism is the career progression element. Female sims should be able to progress in their careers even when on maternity leave. If they have many children they don't go anywhere in their jobs. Plus the notion of paternity leave is non-existent.

In many ways, the Sims 3 seems to be stuck in 1950s suburban mid-west USA, just without the anti-miscegenation and anti-gay laws. This Generations idea of "reputations" is another example of backwards, normative thinking. People shouldn't be punished by being labelled "players" (and are the women labelled "🐸🐸🐸🐸" I wonder) if they have more than one partner. Or get laughed at if they kiss in the street. The nuclear family is just one system, there are others. A game like this shouldn't be imposing moral judgements on the people who play it. It's a shame because I liked the imaginary friends and the treehouses, but I don't want to feel like I'm stuck in some awful teen film.

Really? Get a grip on yourself. So what if females don't have body hair. the differences between men and women on that matter is, women shave. And it is not backwards to do maternity leave. What if your sim is an astronaut, or a seargent of some sorts? Huh? Of course then you would call it cruel to women for them to not be on maternity leave. which is true. And guess what. the labeling of player is a real world thing. Honestly, you should be punished if you've been to bed with more than man or woman at the same time. Your obviously just trying to pick a fight with EA. If women can't have a breast slider, than men in speedo's should not have a bulge! (Not that I care.) So go ahead and talk about Sexism in the Sims but you and I know it is not true.
    Please try to understand that I am not angry with you, just annoyed. :twisted:
  • shaaaiiishaaaiii Posts: 75 New Member
    edited June 2011
    GommeInc wrote:

I wouldn't use it, but if others do then they can. Afteral, body hair has to be applied manually. If you do not want it, do not give your Sims it. It's quite a fair idea and system :)
    I'm really not sure what you're talking about. We don't have female body hair and I'm happy about that.
    edited June 2011
    niac1234 wrote:

Really? Get a grip on yourself. So what if females don't have body hair. the differences between men and women on that matter is, women shave. And it is not backwards to do maternity leave. What if your sim is an astronaut, or a seargent of some sorts? Huh? Of course then you would call it cruel to women for them to not be on maternity leave. which is true. And guess what. the labeling of player is a real world thing. Honestly, you should be punished if you've been to bed with more than man or woman at the same time. Your obviously just trying to pick a fight with EA. If women can't have a breast slider, than men in speedo's should not have a bulge! (Not that I care.) So go ahead and talk about Sexism in the Sims but you and I know it is not true.
    Amen to that!
    edited June 2011
    shaaaiii wrote:
    GommeInc wrote:

I wouldn't use it, but if others do then they can. Afteral, body hair has to be applied manually. If you do not want it, do not give your Sims it. It's quite a fair idea and system :)
    I'm really not sure what you're talking about. We don't have female body hair and I'm happy about that.

Me Too. I don't want hairy NPC women walking around. That would just be wierd. :lol: :twisted:
  • GommeIncGommeInc Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited June 2011
    niac1234 wrote:
    I assume your intentions are good, but that's a huge stereotype :P Men shave too - heck EA hint that most men wax by default :P
  • KaiIeiKaiIei Posts: 381
    edited June 2011
    I don't understand why everyone has come here trying to influence her thinking. She doesn't like the patch. How is it your business? She may have posted this just to vent. I don't 100% agree with her but I also don't make it a point to attack her until she agrees with what I think. Get the F:shock:CK over yourselves PLEASE.
    edited June 2011
    KaiIei wrote:
    I don't understand why everyone has come here trying to influence her thinking. She doesn't like the patch. How is it your business? She may have posted this just to vent. I don't 100% agree with her but I also don't make it a point to attack her until she agrees with what I think. Get the F:shock:CK over yourselves PLEASE.
    The last bit wasn't necessary to be honest... Don't lower yourself to their standards :)
    edited June 2011
    KaiIei wrote:

We're not trying to influence her, we're just annoyed by her false Accusations. and did you really have to add that last part. :evil:
    edited June 2011
    niac1234 wrote:
    We're not trying to influence her, we're just annoyed by her false Accusations. and did you really have to add that last part. :evil:
    I wouldn't say they're false - you can get hairy women afterall and they're more common than people with green, alienesque skin. If they did add it then it would be easy to avoid - just don't give your female Sims leg hair :P
    edited June 2011
    GommeInc wrote:
    niac1234 wrote:
    I wouldn't say they're false - you can get hairy women afterall and they're more common than people with green, alienesque skin. If they did add it then it would be easy to avoid - just don't give your female Sims leg hair :P

No, I'm talking about false accusations of Sexism in The Sims 3.
    edited June 2011
    niac1234 wrote:
    Hmm, I wouldn't say that's false either. It can be perceived as sexist, but I don't think it's deliberate like the user says it is - it's just EA following social norms that women tend to be hairless.
    edited June 2011
    GommeInc wrote:
    niac1234 wrote:
    Hmm, I wouldn't say that's false either. It can be perceived as sexist, but I don't think it's deliberate like the user says it is - it's just EA following social norms that women tend to be hairless.

Just because some women don't shave, it doesn't mean that all women in the game should have hair though. :twisted:
  • AlnairanAlnairan Posts: 2,424 Member
    edited June 2011
    niac1234 wrote:
    GommeInc wrote:
    niac1234 wrote:

Just because some women don't shave, it doesn't mean that all women in the game should have hair though. :twisted:

Yuck :lol:

I think women tend to have less body-hair then men. I mean, my dad looks like a freaking bear. No kidding.
    I never met a women that don't shave, but still...
    I think everybody should shave because it's more hygienic.
    6724061.png
    Origin ID: Gabby-Abeille
  • BurgelturdBurgelturd Posts: 48
    edited June 2011
    I don't know why everyone was complaining the patch broke their game. My game was completley fine after installing the patch. In-fact i;ve never had a problem with patches from EA, they're all fine if you know what to do before installing them -.-
    edited June 2011
    Burgelturd wrote:
    I don't know why everyone was complaining the patch broke their game. My game was completley fine after installing the patch. In-fact i;ve never had a problem with patches from EA, they're all fine if you know what to do before installing them -.-
    Which is? Some people do not have issues, while many do. The guidelines for installing a patch are "back-up and install", there's nothing else to do unless you're suggesting every users goes trawling through the code fixing issues :P
    edited June 2011
    Before people complain about the patch not helping enough, think about what it does do. My patch fixed my Generations Game from many problems, no complaints yet. :D:lol: :shock: :twisted:
    edited June 2011
    KaiIei wrote:
    Do you have to swear?! Calm down lol.
  • kbateskbates Posts: 1
    edited June 2011
    I agree with the OP... if you don't want your female sims to have body hair, you could easily just select that they not have it - the same as with males.

As for the people complaining about female NPCs having body hair, is this a serious complaint? Do you get upset if you see a woman in the real world with more hair than the average? Do you get mad when you see an ugly female NPC? The Sims is supposed to be a "life simulator" and as much as I wish I could as a woman, I don't get to just not have body hair - I have to shave or wax it off. That's real life. In real life, you are going to encounter people who you find less than pleasing aesthetically. In a game that is supposed to simulate life, I would expect that to occur.

If they are going to give us laundry machines and other chore type items, why not just make an option for women to shave, as we do in real life? Also, just because the standard in the US/UK is for women to shave their body hair does NOT mean that that is the norm everywhere. What if you wanted to play Sims and did not live in a place where shaving was normal? There are other cultures out there, as much as we like to forget that. That is one reason the OP is claiming sexism here. It is sexist to assume that women must shave off their body hair. Just because you are a female does not make you hairless.

There have always been things in the Sims that I didn't like - for instance, in TS2, we were given a jewelry option of eyebrow piercings. Personally, I am not a fan of them, but I didn't get upset that the option was there... I just didn't use it. So if you don't like body hair, don't use it.

As one poster pointed out, then should men have a breast slider as women do? My response... why not? I feel that there is no reason males shouldn't have a breast slider. The Sims is about being creative and having fun and if you want to make a male Sim with breasts, why not? It doesn't mean that you HAVE to, but if you want, the option is there. I never liked that we could have alien Sims, because I am more about making the Sims replicate my real life, so I just didn't use it. Simple as that.

What it boils down to is... you could easily select to not have body hair on your female Sims if you wanted to, just as you can with males.. why would you be upset that it was in the game?

Oh and btw, to a comment about shaving being more hygienic... WHAT? Since when is the removal of body hair more hygienic? I have never seen any evidence of this. If this is the case, why in the world do only women shave their body hair? Are men just more dirty then? Also, why would we not shave our heads too, if it is so much cleaner? Your comment is not backed by any facts.
  • TacosandCookiesTacosandCookies Posts: 39
    edited June 2011
    As one poster pointed out, then should men have a breast slider as women do? My response... why not? I feel that there is no reason males shouldn't have a breast slider. The Sims is about being creative and having fun and if you want to make a male Sim with breasts, why not? It doesn't mean that you HAVE to, but if you want, the option is there. I never liked that we could have alien Sims, because I am more about making the Sims replicate my real life, so I just didn't use it. Simple as that.

Agreed. I think the breast slider should be there for males as well. However, I think that the breasts of male sims should be more man-breast-ish. Because yes, in real life, some men do have breasts, but, they're shaped differently... If that's not extremely awkward.
  • AlnairanAlnairan Posts: 2,424 Member
    edited June 2011
    kbates wrote:
    Oh and btw, to a comment about shaving being more hygienic... WHAT? Since when is the removal of body hair more hygienic? I have never seen any evidence of this. If this is the case, why in the world do only women shave their body hair? Are men just more dirty then? Also, why would we not shave our heads too, if it is so much cleaner? Your comment is not backed by any facts.

Actually, it's easier to clean an area without hair, specially if it's too much hair. The Egyptians were the first to realize that if you shave your armpits you could be, hum, "not-smelly" longer than if you stay "hairy". I read about it in a book about the women in the ancient Egypt.
    And I won't even mention, hum, "private areas" of our bodies.
    I'm not trying to pick up a fight, I'm just saying that "to shave or not to shave" is not such a huge question, specially in hot places, like here in Brazil.
    6724061.png
    Origin ID: Gabby-Abeille
  • TacosandCookiesTacosandCookies Posts: 39
    edited June 2011
    I'm just saying that "to shave or not to shave" is not such a huge question

To shave or not to shave? That is the question.

Okay, sorry, couldn't help myself. I'm immature.
  • FlashygrrlFlashygrrl Posts: 634 Member
    edited June 2011
    To those who actually had the patch do what it was supposed to do, congrats. You either are one of the few that are very lucky or you just haven't gotten very far into the game yet...they'll show up, it's just a matter of when and where.

And really? Did this have to turn into a discussion on body hair?
  • DanibleeDaniblee Posts: 2,429 New Member
    edited June 2011
    I completely agree. I avoid patches as much as possible unless a lot of glitching is going on in my game. EA is beginning to avoid the problems with the game and just starting to add stuff that isnt really needed. I mean, I get that theyre trying to add variety and give the players what they want, but it should be an option. It sucks to get the "new patch" pop up every time I open my launcher just to see its for something stupid.
  • Thesimsboy1997Thesimsboy1997 Posts: 275
    edited June 2011
    Life Simulator, Ehh? So we should have both sexes running naked. True Public Woohoos (On a Picnic Table).