Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Anyone else dissapointed by this? *Updated - Guru response*

Comments

• BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,175 Member
    edited June 2011
    julieexann wrote:
    It seems that Jarsie09 is correct.
    In FreeTime, the Maxis logo was replaced by a symbol of the Sims plumbob. This was to signify the completion of all development responsibility transferrals from Maxis to the then newly created division, The Sims Studio, by Electronic Arts.

Originally retaining its own online presence, Maxis' website has since been terminated with the website address redirecting to the website for Spore. All Spore products released thus far still bear the Maxis' logo on both the box and at game launch.

I was under the impression that Maxis no longer had anything to do with the Sims. Will Wright willingly left EA a few years ago.

Maxis is still listed as developer at least for Pets and Generations. Strange but true.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • GommeIncGommeInc Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited June 2011
    bluegayle_ wrote:
    julieexann wrote:
    In FreeTime, the Maxis logo was replaced by a symbol of the Sims plumbob. This was to signify the completion of all development responsibility transferrals from Maxis to the then newly created division, The Sims Studio, by Electronic Arts.

Originally retaining its own online presence, Maxis' website has since been terminated with the website address redirecting to the website for Spore. All Spore products released thus far still bear the Maxis' logo on both the box and at game launch.

I was under the impression that Maxis no longer had anything to do with the Sims. Will Wright willingly left EA a few years ago.

Maxis is still listed as developer at least for Pets and Generations. Strange but true.
    I'm slightly concerned about people focusing so much on who develops the Sims. Maxis and EA do, it's just Maxis got absorbed by EA so effectively both still work on The Sims, it's just Electronic Arts is now the main name because Maxis no longer exists.
  • AnglePlay300AnglePlay300 Posts: 3,969 Member
    edited June 2011
    cajo5 wrote:
    cajo5 wrote:
    cajo5 wrote:
    You may not have realized this, but that was on another thread completely and I didn't see it until AFTER I had posted that, so how about you think before you put something down next time?

Look whatever conflict we are having, I don't want to continue it any more but rather focus and the stunt EA is trying to pull, okay?

It is no stunt for one. Every gaming company does this. Also EA is the publisher while Maxis is the real makers of the game. So something like this would be on Maxis not EA.

I guess my frustration is, why (whatever you want to call it) put up with it? Why put up with a gaming company slowly giving us less and less? Sure life isn't fair but it won't get any better if we all just settle for that.

I don't think you are dumb if I was sharp it was just my odd way of trying to say, "hey! Wake up and look at what they are trying to pull."

Honestly I don't see why the % of you who can pre-order it right now don't. Yes I get that you think they are trying to swindle us or something, but the thing is the only thing that the limited edition gives us is a pet store with new items. While the normal things will probably be in the buy mode. Yes to those of you who can't or won't pre-order or buy it first day are mad, this is how game companies make more money. They give us two things. One is normal will no special things while the other is the same but with a few special things. They cost the same and it make people want to buy it as soon as possible. It is just how things are becoming and I doubt it will stop anytime soon, in fact it will most likely continue.

Not everyone CAN preorder as you said. That's why people are upset because people who can't get the limited edition are missing out on something huge. Building your own pet store is huge. We would have been fine if it was just that pet store and a few special items, but not being able to build one? That is going to make people mad. Regardless if it's a company or not. And EA has never made something like THIS so exclusive. Usually it's just a special object like a car or something like that. But an entire feature? That isn't very fair to people who literally CAN NOT preorder or buy the first day.

Oh, and EA does have total control now. Maxis is out. At first they were just working together and it WAS just EA distributing it. But now EA has a team that does all of the planning, a team that does all of the developing and so on. Sure there might be some people that transferred from Maxis, but they wouldn't be anyone who has anything huge to do with planning and developing. They would just be the everyday people who program the game and do what they are told to do.
    Ever wonder why Maxis is no longer even mentioned??
  • Sphire_ZiemiaSphire_Ziemia Posts: 1,148 New Member
    edited June 2011
    Conorsim wrote:
    I think I understand now... but...

This thread: "EA, how are you?"
    EA: "How do you think I am?"
    this thread: "uh... are you okay? Yes? No?"
    EA: "Maybe."

:shock: :hunf:

I mean, I'm not trying to be rude, but can people make their own pet shops? I haven't read all the thread, but I'm still curious. Yes? No? uh.. Maybe?

edit: ignore me if I don't make sense; it's seldom that I even do.

Hope this clears things up.
    Sphire_Ziemia, I have already confirmed that previously in this thread. The Pet Store venue type, the pre-built Pet Store lot, and the exclusive objects are all only available with the limited edition.

I appreciate that the community has concerns, and I hope that when I get the chance to post you'll all have a better understanding not only of what we're offering in the limited edition, but why we're offering it. We still have a long way to go on Pets :) Take a few days, enjoy Generations in the meantime, and I'll be back with more details for you all.

So if we don't get the limited edition expansion pack we cannot make a pet store, correct? Easy yes or no answer. :)

That is correct, yes.
    edited June 2011
    Special edition or limited edition content is not the problem. A special pre-built lot and some extra items are one thing but to remove the ability to create a pet store and designate it as such is a step too far. I feel that it is something that steps into the very integrity of what the game is (create your neighborhood, your own people, your own pets...) and is a core functionality that everyone should have if the fork over the cash for the expansion.

I feel like these games are losing their integrity because of stuff like this. When Maxis was in charge they were first and foremost about making a quality game that the fans would enjoy. It was a business, of course, and they did business like things but it didn't reek of greedy selfish practices. hey knew they made money simply by doing their job right. This has all started changing as EA took over.

The introduction of Stuff Packs was one thing, I can live with that. I would be able to live with the Sims Store too if it didn't mean that there were less items of lower quality in the game because they are putting them in the store to make more profit. :roll: But I suppose if I REALLY wanted a hair in my game I could fork over the buck fifty for it. (but that won't happen ever) And special edition items are not that big a deal either. If you buy the game early or pay more for it, sure take your extra items. There are hundreds of free download sites I can use.

But this certainly goes too far. They are just testing the waters though, to see if it will work. To see how far they can push us for money, (If this works can they have limited edition careers and professions? Maybe they could have made prom and dating special edition add ons) and I suppose it will work for most. All the complaining in the world will do nothing if their pockets fill up faster.

They have been eerily quiet about this because by keeping it vague they raise fears. How many people already pre-ordered because of that announcement? How many will cancel their order if EA changes their mind or the details come out and it's not as bad as it seems? Or, worse, how many people will decide to pre-order if the details come out and they are what we think? They are watching the numbers and seeing which move is the best to take.

I suppose my main point is, don't be sucked into their "rewarding loyal fans" propaganda. EA is a dirty filthy business and this is about nothing more than $$$.

This wow really sums it up! Funny thing is I think most of us would have pre ordered anyways for a just a special edition dog house, chew toy, food bowl or any other pet relevant item. But not letting everyone have a pet store down the road is such a snobbish overkill to "reward" loyal fans.

How about this? Everyone can build and have a pet store pre-made lot, a guarantee that all countries will have the ability to pre-order and the limited edition could be a few extra items in the store's register and a few extra display items? That would make me put my pitchfork down. :mrgreen:
  • Lschram55Lschram55 Posts: 24 Member
    edited June 2011
    I just went to the Amazon website and they have both the limited edition and the plain version, however they are charging ten dollars more for the limited edition. They say it is a bundle but as far as I can see it is the just the EP limited edition.
    edited June 2011
    Lschram55 wrote:
    I just went to the Amazon website and they have both the limited edition and the plain version, however they are charging ten dollars more for the limited edition. They say it is a bundle but as far as I can see it is the just the EP limited edition.

Odd they said it would be the same price on Origins the EA store. Is it still the same price there?
  • ConorsimConorsim Posts: 5,890 Member
    edited June 2011
    Conorsim wrote:
    I think I understand now... but...

This thread: "EA, how are you?"
    EA: "How do you think I am?"
    this thread: "uh... are you okay? Yes? No?"
    EA: "Maybe."

:shock: :hunf:

I mean, I'm not trying to be rude, but can people make their own pet shops? I haven't read all the thread, but I'm still curious. Yes? No? uh.. Maybe?

edit: ignore me if I don't make sense; it's seldom that I even do.

Hope this clears things up.
    Sphire_Ziemia, I have already confirmed that previously in this thread. The Pet Store venue type, the pre-built Pet Store lot, and the exclusive objects are all only available with the limited edition.

I appreciate that the community has concerns, and I hope that when I get the chance to post you'll all have a better understanding not only of what we're offering in the limited edition, but why we're offering it. We still have a long way to go on Pets :) Take a few days, enjoy Generations in the meantime, and I'll be back with more details for you all.

So if we don't get the limited edition expansion pack we cannot make a pet store, correct? Easy yes or no answer. :)

That is correct, yes.

Oh, haha, okay thank you :XD: I was lazy not to read the thread :lol: :XD:
  • PushkinaPushkina Posts: 100 New Member
    edited June 2011
    it is still not possible for eu to buy it?
    edited June 2011
    GommeInc wrote:
    bluegayle_ wrote:
    julieexann wrote:

I'm slightly concerned about people focusing so much on who develops the Sims. Maxis and EA do, it's just Maxis got absorbed by EA so effectively both still work on The Sims, it's just Electronic Arts is now the main name because Maxis no longer exists.

I am not sure if you posted thinking I am focused on this? And not sure why it would cause you concern but I just recently noticed the maxis name on my preorder which is why I mentioned it. If you didn't post because of what I said then please ignore this statement. It will self destruct in 30 seconds. :D
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • arkhyelarkhyel Posts: 604 Member
    edited June 2011
    I would pre-order it, but it's not even available here :(
    edited June 2011
    Lschram55 wrote:

Mine is preordered thru Origin. I have a response from them saying all the pre-orders will be the limited edition. That is the only one that will be availabe in the beginning.

Maybe Amazon is preparing for when the LE becomes unavailable and I am thinking they have made an error on the cost. Mine is still at
    the $39.99 price point and was confirmed to be the LE.
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
    edited June 2011
    bluegayle_ wrote:
    Lschram55 wrote:

Mine is preordered thru Origin. I have a response from them saying all the pre-orders will be the limited edition. That is the only one that will be availabe in the beginning.

Maybe Amazon is preparing for when the LE becomes unavailable and I am thinking they have made an error on the cost. Mine is still at
    the $39.99 price point and was confirmed to be the LE.

I was about to pre-order it the day they announced it, but not now. I'm waiting. Why? I'm just too disgusted to even think about giveing EA my money. Again I think a lot of us would have pre-ordered if they had just offered a special limited edition dog house, scratching post ect. EA has no need to go this far if anything I do hope it backfires on them.
  • minisimyminisimy Posts: 101
    edited June 2011
    Ya well when it comes the the sims 3 EA has a tradition to dissapoint use :cry:
  • cajo5cajo5 Posts: 1,359
    edited June 2011
    cajo5 wrote:
    cajo5 wrote:
    cajo5 wrote:
    You may not have realized this, but that was on another thread completely and I didn't see it until AFTER I had posted that, so how about you think before you put something down next time?

Look whatever conflict we are having, I don't want to continue it any more but rather focus and the stunt EA is trying to pull, okay?

It is no stunt for one. Every gaming company does this. Also EA is the publisher while Maxis is the real makers of the game. So something like this would be on Maxis not EA.

I guess my frustration is, why (whatever you want to call it) put up with it? Why put up with a gaming company slowly giving us less and less? Sure life isn't fair but it won't get any better if we all just settle for that.

I don't think you are dumb if I was sharp it was just my odd way of trying to say, "hey! Wake up and look at what they are trying to pull."

Honestly I don't see why the % of you who can pre-order it right now don't. Yes I get that you think they are trying to swindle us or something, but the thing is the only thing that the limited edition gives us is a pet store with new items. While the normal things will probably be in the buy mode. Yes to those of you who can't or won't pre-order or buy it first day are mad, this is how game companies make more money. They give us two things. One is normal will no special things while the other is the same but with a few special things. They cost the same and it make people want to buy it as soon as possible. It is just how things are becoming and I doubt it will stop anytime soon, in fact it will most likely continue.

Not everyone CAN preorder as you said. That's why people are upset because people who can't get the limited edition are missing out on something huge. Building your own pet store is huge. We would have been fine if it was just that pet store and a few special items, but not being able to build one? That is going to make people mad. Regardless if it's a company or not. And EA has never made something like THIS so exclusive. Usually it's just a special object like a car or something like that. But an entire feature? That isn't very fair to people who literally CAN NOT preorder or buy the first day.

Oh, and EA does have total control now. Maxis is out. At first they were just working together and it WAS just EA distributing it. But now EA has a team that does all of the planning, a team that does all of the developing and so on. Sure there might be some people that transferred from Maxis, but they wouldn't be anyone who has anything huge to do with planning and developing. They would just be the everyday people who program the game and do what they are told to do.

Maybe you should read better. I never said everyone can pre-order I said I don't understand why the amount of you who CAN don't. And I also said that I understand that the people who CAN'T are mad. I merely said that the people who CAN should buy it if they want it so bad. And it's most likely not going to change any time soon. :roll:
    edited June 2011
    minisimy wrote:
    Ya well when it comes the the sims 3 EA has a tradition to dissapoint use :cry:
    Unfortunately :( If they didn't do this pointless stunt I would of pre-ordered immediately. But, alas, they like to disappoint and be different in a bad way. Hopefully it back fires, to teach them a lesson.
  • julienrob2004julienrob2004 Posts: 4,166 Member
    edited June 2011
    So how do they know whether you bought it the release day ?
    I am sure if stores have 100 copies in stock and they only sell 75 on the first day they will not take the other 25 off the shelves

Is the redeem code just valid for that day

If so what happens to people who pre order and it arrives late ? Even from EA ?

Especially as in the UK its released on a Friday and a lot of people get it Saturday when they go shopping
    edited June 2011
    I am sure if stores have 100 copies in stock and they only sell 75 on the first day they will not take the other 25 off the shelves

Especially as in the UK its released on a Friday and a lot of people get it Saturday when they go shopping
    They won't put a timer on the code. You only need a box with a code to unlock the items (and pet store which should be in the standard edition ;) )

If you got The Sims 3 Collector's Edition, you have a small piece of paper in the box with a code on to obtain the Italian Sports Car. You just use that to obtain the items. It won't expire, and if memory serves me well, you can give that code to other people and it will work too, just like the Italian Sports Car and Punk Car (although mine were legit, I remember people doing it on Google).

So I imagine it's the same as The Sims 3 CE :)
  • AlexRoz9AlexRoz9 Posts: 309 New Member
    edited June 2011
    quote=julieexann]It seems that Jarsie09 is correct.

I was under the impression that Maxis no longer had anything to do with the Sims. Will Wright willingly left EA a few years ago.[/quote]
    You are correct; Maxis' involvement with The Sims ended prior to the release of "Free Time." People need to understand the difference between a developer and a publisher; although both can be the same, they often are not.

When Maxis was in charge, they were both the developer, and the publisher for The Sims franchise. When EA bought them out, Maxis became a developer, and EA took on the role of publisher, releasing what Maxis developed. At the same time, EA realized that The Sims needed a dedicated development studio, and began transitioning The Sims related properties to The Sims Studio, which replaced Maxis as the developer, while EA remained the publisher. Will Wright remained at EA, which is where he developed Spore before resigning from EA on good terms. EA probably still holds the rights to the Maxis studio name, but they no longer use it for Sims-related products.

This actually reminds me of the argument Power Rangers fans have over production companies (the equivalent of a development studio,) and corporate owners. Saban Entertainment owned the Power Rangers brand from 1993-2001; MMPR Productions Inc. produced the show from 1993-2002, when the studio closed and Disney nearly ended production. Disney owned Power Rangers from 2002-2010, during which time two production companies were involved. From 2003-2004, two seasons were produced by Village Roadshow Pictures, and from 2005-2009, five seasons were produced by Ranger Productions Ltd. In 2010 Haim Saban reacquired the Power Rangers property, formed Saban Brands LLC, and created Power Rangers Productions Inc., which is the current production company producing seasons from 2011-onward. Disney still uses the Ranger Productions Ltd. studio name, even though it's no longer used to produce Power Rangers. Likewise, the Power Rangers Productions Inc. crew, is almost identical to the crew from the last season produced by Ranger Productions Ltd.

Just as Power Rangers fans should be looking at whose running the production studio, The Sims fans should be focusing on whose developing the game, not just whose publishing it, and whether or not the people in The Sims Studio are those who were previously in Maxis, as well as whether or not those in the current iteration of Maxis are the same as those who were there when Maxis handled The Sims.
    bluegayle_ wrote:
    Not to sound rude, but I'd like to see some proof of this. I just pulled out my copy of Generations, and nowhere on it is Maxis credited or mentioned; EA is the only company mentioned, just as EA has been the only company mentioned on The Sims products starting with "Free Time."
    GommeInc wrote:
    The people developing the game is important; Maxis hasn't had a hand in it since "Free Time," and EA, and by extension The Sims Studio, has been largely responsible for the problems that we're dealing with today. What's more important then the studio though is the people who are working in the studio. If there have been significant changes in whose working on the game, or in the lead developer, those are important. If the studio largely consisted of ex-Maxis employees and at some point they were replaced with new employees, then that's important. Grant Rodniek and Rod Humble both recently left EA; those are significant developments for how The Sims may be handled in the future, and are equally worth focusing on. And again, not to sound like a jerk, but without visual proof that Maxis has been involved with The Sims post-Free Time, there's nothing to suggest that Maxis has been involved with The Sims since then, let alone The Sims 3 in particular.
    I have to agree with you on the missing feature. It's one thing for EA to exclude a pre-built pet store and some random downloadable objects; it's another to exclude an entire feature from the game, and/or to make it only available to those who preorder the special edition. I could understand such an exclusion if EA was going to simultaneously release "T" and "M" rated variations of the game, in which case the exclusion of certain features would be inevitable. Excluding something like the ability to build a pet store though is really pushing it, and this is coming from someone whose preordered the special edition.

My real worry is that I preorder the special edition via Origin, and despite having a confirmation e-mail, I can't access my Origin account's order history. (At least I couldn't the last few times that I've tried.) I should have just waited for the preorder to go up on Amazon, but EA made it sound like the SE was only going to be available through Origin. If I had known the SE wasn't going to be an "Origin" exclusive, I would have never preorder from Origin in the first place, and after the experience that I've had with them, I probably will never do business from them again, at least not unless a game/EP/SP is an Origin exclusive.

Of course, EA is offering the preorder for the Pets SE for $39.99 before S&H, so it looks like it's $10 dollars less at Origin then it is at Amazon, and is identical in price to the regular edition.
    AnglePlay300, you understand exactly what I was explaining above. :) It's nice to see someone else "in the know" so to speak.
    edited June 2011
    We need just to ask ourselves, would Will have ever allowed this lil stunt to be pulled? I'd like to think the answer is no.

And yes, he probably doesn't have any more sway in the EA company but if he did I bet this wouldn't be happening. If EA wants to spit on the foundation of what this franchise was built on then after Sims 3 I'm done!
  • YourFavoriteAriesYourFavoriteAries Posts: 20 New Member
    edited June 2011
    We need just to ask ourselves, would Will have ever allowed this lil stunt to be pulled? I'd like to think the answer is no.

And yes, he probably doesn't have any more sway in the EA company but if he did I bet this wouldn't be happening. If EA wants to spit on the foundation of what this franchise was built on then after Sims 3 I'm done!

I remember reading an interview with him about his new TV show he is a producer of (it's called Bar Karma and I think it's on...spike? I could be wrong, definitely cable though) and he was saying how he really wanted a medium to tell stories and where other people can tell stories (cause it's a internet community developed show). They asked him about the sims and he basically said he doesn't think games, including the sims, are the medium to tell stories in. Some people might go that route but it's not the main purpose of the game, just a feature.

I notice how EA is constantly shipping this story telling point of view with the sims, as if the game won't sell if it's just a sandbox and not a story machine. :roll: I doubt Will would approve of this new direction.

The sims franchise needs to desperately go back to it's roots. It will make money being what it is, the trickery is not needed.

Side-note: Does anyone go on Gaia? The Sims 3 Generations advertising is ALL OVER that site. They even have a special scavenger hunt thing set up and free items for your avatar. They couldn't put that money towards paying testers to insure the game wasn't glitchy? No, of course not. :|
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited June 2011

I believe it will go beyond release day until the ones that have a code inside sell out also provided that not everybody makes a dash for it or EA on thier end electronically sets a date for the codes to expire even if you get one past the release date, lot of scenarios. As far as overseas more than likely there will be adjustments there. As the months draw down hopefully EA will enlighten us. :D
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • generaletriusgeneraletrius Posts: 115
    edited June 2011
    I saw the Limited Edition of Battlefield Bad Company 2 on shelves at Best Buy for at least a month. I might get Pets, but only after the people who preorder get it early and post their comments about it on the forum.

Still, I really hope EA reverses its decision to make pet stores exclusive to the Limited Edition. It's just such a bad business decision. I agree with others saying that they're basically dangling a treat to see how high we'll jump for it. A better idea would be to include the five breeds that appear on the console versions, and the prebuilt pet store. That would be a better idea.

And let's be honest. Some shady person it going to get the Limited Edition, and it will appear on certain sites that are not allowed to be discussed here. So, EA is encourage the thing they tried to stamp out a few years back (remember the Spore/SecuROM debacle).
  • DruscyllaDruscylla Posts: 2,532 Member
    edited June 2011
    GommeInc wrote:
    Druscylla wrote:
    You mentioned this base game thing before. But there really aren't any games like the Sims...so it kind of stands alone. Yes some games have expansions or add-ons, but do you know many that have tons of expansions and stuff packs and is a life simulator? So you can't really compare it to other base games or expansions, and some other game expansions DO actually have these kinds of offers.

And again I will mention that I have seen the limited edition noted on EVERY website I have tried with Origin, although I cannot yet preorder it from EA.Aus or EA.uk as the buttons are greyed out or say TBC (to be...continued? I have no idea.) And someone else contacted EA about this and was told by another EA rep that ALL first releases of Pets are Limited Edition just like Medieval was. But people still insist on being horribly upset, and I just don't see why at this point. Unless you aren't planning on getting it for months after release, you are gonna end up with LE. And all customers are NOT created equal. A lot of us are willing to secure an order of a game that isn't released, thereby basically saying "We are willing to buy your game even though it isn't released and we don't know if its great or terrible." and a lot of companies reward preorders for this purpose.

Also worth mentioning that Maxis has absolutely nothing to do with the Sims franchise anymore - EA develops and produces Sims 3.
    Aren't you just clenching at straws now? It's irrelevant, it's a still a franchise with EPs and an EP has the same use in any scope. Just because The Sims is unique doesn't mean they can make seemingly pointless decisions that seem to be sticking fingers up at their customers.

TBC means "To Be Certified" so I imagine the UK/AUS haven't certified the game yet.

It's the principle people are upset with - why make it Limited Edition in the first place? It's selfish to say "I've bought it, I'm fine, I don't care about the rest of you". What about future Simmers? They've not even said why they've made it Limited Edition, because as everyone else sees it, they have no reason to make an EP Limited Edition :/

Clenching straws is all anyone is doing. No one has all the facts - including exactly what the pet store DOES, IS, or SELLS. But everyone is so caught up on principles that they are ready to freak out at everything they dislike. And people ARE selfish. Especially gamers who tend to be the most self-entitled consumer of all. And the solution is simple. Buy the game as Limited Edition which all the versions of Pets will be during release, or do not and then you do not get the pet store. This is marketing. If a limited anything comes out, it usually is a ploy to get more people to purchase it than otherwise would have when it releases without waiting for sale pricing or peer reviews. Ever watch television commercials? If I act now, I not only get the chopper but I also get the dicer and slicer. But if I wait till I see it in stores, I only get the chopper for the same price because I chose to wait it out. Same principle applies.
    meow_zpsa650c518.gif
  • RickychengRickycheng Posts: 609 Member
    edited June 2011
    GommeInc wrote:

They won't put a timer on the code. You only need a box with a code to unlock the items (and pet store which should be in the standard edition ;) )

If you got The Sims 3 Collector's Edition, you have a small piece of paper in the box with a code on to obtain the Italian Sports Car. You just use that to obtain the items. It won't expire, and if memory serves me well, you can give that code to other people and it will work too, just like the Italian Sports Car and Punk Car (although mine were legit, I remember people doing it on Google).

So I imagine it's the same as The Sims 3 CE :)
    By the way they did the same thing for late night pre-order & limited edition
    Hope EA can explain more in few days