Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What do you prefer Fantansy or Realism lots? Large or small?

I have asked this in the creator forum and of course as most of the posters over there are creators they have very little time to sample other creator's lots.

So it is time to ask the general public on what do you prefer?

If you click on my siggy, you will notice that I am a creator of mostly fantasy type lots, things that you don't normally see in real life; like a hollywood type sign or a chessboard that houses your sims; these in comparison to my yacht and thin chateau which has the greater number of downloads, the hollywood signs barely sells :P

The other question is that do you avoid the 60x60 type lots with preferences for 30x30 or 40x40?

So lets hear your thoughts....
Ralphael%20Creations%202_zpsiovmt0hx.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ibaeshaCibaeshaC Posts: 679 Member
    edited July 2009
    I do not build. I hate it. I am someone who plays and loves to play in other people's creations.

I almost always automatically skip any lots that are 60X60. Even if they are beautiful. It is very likely that even a well-done home will be difficult to play in realistically. The only reason I might download a home on a lot this size is if I want it for scenery in my neighborhood.

I will consider the 40X40's if they look very interesting/well-done. They are reasonably playable, especially if the home doesn't take up the entire lot.

My favorites are the smaller lots and small to mid-size homes. Big enough that sims don't get in each other's way, but small enough that a trip to the bathroom doesn't take as long as a ride into town.

As far as Fantasy or Realism lots, I'd say my preference is fantasy. Anything 'Modern' tends to not really pique my interest. In fact, I'd love it if there was a builder who made livable, smaller to mid-size castles. I've found very few of these as most castles are enormous or are not really good for -living- in. Nice on the outside, cool looking on the inside, but not really functional.
    Gallery: ibaeshaC
  • Options
    TabathaMorteTabathaMorte Posts: 311 New Member
    edited July 2009

I like smaller lots, they're far more managable. I tend to prefer single story houses too, two floors MAX, it's just easier to manage when you can see everyone (though I trust my Sims3 Sims more then my Sims2 ones to be left unsupervised at least).

Personally I like realism most of the time.
  • Options
    ibaeshaCibaeshaC Posts: 679 Member
    edited July 2009
    I agree with the 2 floors max thing, too. Although I don't have a preference between single-story or two-story homes. I like them both equally if they are functional.
    Gallery: ibaeshaC
  • Options
    freakingoddessfreakingoddess Posts: 253 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Realism...I never played with ghosts, genies, magic, any of that stuff. I prefer smaller houses(although not so small they get stuck everywhere!). Larger houses make managing the family much more difficult. Pretty much I think they should have the size of house they need and no bigger..plus, affording the big houses is always an issue.
  • Options
    RalphaelNinjaRalphaelNinja Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited July 2009
    good feedback!!! I like the idea of a small castle too!!
  • Options
    eimelleeimelle Posts: 16 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I also prefer realism. However I like larger homes. I like a lot of space in the rooms b/c it gets frustrating for me. I don't want to have to turn the camera around (as some houses I have to) and such. Large homes with big rooms, but realistic.
  • Options
    CaptainToastyCaptainToasty Posts: 437 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I always and mainly only build realistic lots. I hate it when I have my neighborhood full of nice little normal houses and then there are one or two that stick out like a sore thumb :mrgreen:

I was also never really into the Making Magic EP. I like my sims game to be realistic. Go Superstar! :mrgreen:

I also like smaller houses. I feel like everyone is seperated in big houses and I like making my simmies go from rags to riches.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I always and mainly only build realistic lots. I hate it when I have my neighborhood full of nice little normal houses and then there are one or two that stick out like a sore thumb :mrgreen:

I was also never really into the Making Magic EP. I like my sims game to be realistic. Go Superstar! :mrgreen:

I also like smaller houses. I feel like everyone is seperated in big houses and I like making my simmies go from rags to riches.

its no wonder I'm having such a hard time selling my chessboard lot :P
  • Options
    AlisoxAlisox Posts: 1,640 Member
    edited July 2009
    I have nothing but respect for people who make fantasy lots, but I can't play them.

I usually play large sim families, so I need homes large enough for them, but not castle or mansion-y huge or anything.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Thanks so far for the feedbacks.... Please keep posting everyone.... it really does help on deciding the type of lots that I build.

No sense in building a 10 floor building if everyone finds it harder to play in it :P
  • Options
    CauzCauz Posts: 457 Member
    edited July 2009
    big and traditional
    or modern :)

either way usually big unless
    i have a small family then i'd
    rather have a small bungalow:)
    xx
  • Options
    LynarielaLynariela Posts: 3,297 Member
    edited July 2009
    I tend to go for more realistic of homes that you could actually find in the real world. Not too big, but with ample room for sure.

(if you want to see an example, you can check the house I uploaded to the exchange from my studio)

A little room for expansion never hurt anybody, though. :)
    Twitter, Twitch, and Gallery ID - Lynariela
  • Options
    thebriamonthebriamon Posts: 377 Member
    edited July 2009
    I prefer more realistic lots. I also don't like them to be too large, though a well decorated 3 story with a nice layout isn't so bad.

My biggest frustration so far is finding decently priced lots that have a bit of tasteful decor, and 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. All of the starter homes are usually one or two bed with one bathroom, and that usually isn't enough for a growing family. When my sims families get larger, I either have to wait several sim weeks to save up enough to buy a house that's *too* large and poorly laid out (like it ends up only having 2 bedrooms, even though it's got 6 living areas), or I just have to build it myself. I usually don't like to build, either.
  • Options
    meluvsims234meluvsims234 Posts: 50 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I like small, realistic houses, usually no more than 2 floors on a 30x40 lot. My families are usually no more than 4-5 sims, max, anyway.

I don't like those cubic/modern/box houses, either :p I've never seen one of them in the real world and don't really see the appeal.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    so what everyone is saying..... is small to medium houses, 2 levels or 3 levels max......

so no yachts? chess boards, big hollywood signs? :P
  • Options
    twinklekztwinklekz Posts: 166 Member
    edited July 2009
    so what everyone is saying..... is small to medium houses, 2 levels or 3 levels max......

basically yeah....although your fantasy lots are cool!! and for me i say 2 floors max!! :D
  • Options
    debra1970pdebra1970p Posts: 4,652 Member
    edited July 2009
    I prefer "realism" lots. As far as size is concerned, I prefer to play small to medium sized lots because I normally play very small families (1-4 sims).
  • Options
    debra1970pdebra1970p Posts: 4,652 Member
    edited July 2009

Yachts are nice, but not one that would take up a 60x60 lot.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    debra1970p wrote:

Yachts are nice, but not one that would take up a 60x60 lot.

phew!!! mine is only 40x30 :P

but I think a small castle is within my reach :P might even fit in design with the neighborhood :P

Thanks everyone.... /me scribbles on his drawing board....
  • Options
    SimsprocfunSimsprocfun Posts: 1,499 Member
    edited July 2009
    I play in small houses. Certainly big houses are beautiful and impressive but totally unplayable sorry :) Additionally yet in the Sims 3 we have lack of empty grounds (lots) in town specially a big ones. To place any big lot I have to bulldoze any default residential or even community lot. There are just not enough empty lots now :x
  • Options
    Lao_TzuLao_Tzu Posts: 305 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I have to say, I'm a realism type of guy. I prefer to start on a small or medium sized lot that has a small house, and just expand ridiculously from there. I started at a basic ranch, and Now the place is beginning to become a madium mansion.
  • Options
    darkside266darkside266 Posts: 2,077 Member
    edited July 2009
    I like more realistic homes,but not the boxy type.The homes i build are usually 1 or 2 stories,with some angled walls,sometimes with basements,and aboveground pools.I'm still playing around with new ideas.When it comes to downloads,i usually only download realistic,but creative homes.
  • Options
    SelahFreeAtLastSelahFreeAtLast Posts: 5,102 Member
    edited July 2009
    I like the smaller one story homes. I find it aggravating to constantly have to go upstairs and downstairs. I like anything from one bedrooms for single sims to three or four bedrooms for larger families. I like them to be realistic. I make my sims work for their money most of the time and buy things for them as they can afford it. If the home is really small I build onto it when I need to. I like a mid size lot so I can build on when I want to and if they make enough money I want to add things like pools and stuff.
    ID selahfreeatlast @deema316 on twitter
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    are only the realistic players answering my post? :P are there no fantasy players?

I am devastated :P
  • Options
    DebbieHCBDFDebbieHCBDF Posts: 822 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I think anything that you make RalphaelNinja is of the highest quality Sim lots that I have EVER seen and I do go to TSR.

I agree that it's best to keep lots to max. of 2 stories for playability.

My favourite kinds of lot are the Realism ones to play in.

Can you make a Creepy Serial Killer's house? Now that would awesome!!!!!!!