Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

One Major Thing That is Starting to Bother Me...

I feel like my Sims can do anything, be anything. I think that is great, but I wish that they faced more obstacles. In real life, you can't get promoted every day and become a rock star in a few days, or have a spouse in a day (well, you can, but not usually). I feel like, for me, that's what is making the game boring. All I can do is watch these little computer people become anything without really trying.
Also, I don't want it to be as hard as life, since that would be no fun! I just wanted it to be filled with a tiny bit more obstacles, like fears (as some have mentioned) or the fatal flaw, like in medieval.

Comments

• CheeckyMonkeyCheeckyMonkey Posts: 95
    edited June 2011
    I agree
    It makes you feel like youve completed the game when youre married, skills up and top job...
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited June 2011
    I thought the Fatal Flaw feature from Medieval was interesting. Some of them were fun, but could be a bit detrimental to a sim's progression.

I had a clumsy, cowardly, neurotic sims breeze through the space program to become an astronaut. I think her traits should have created special challenges for her to overcome because she clearly didn't have the right stuff to float to the top of her career.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • SarahRain22SarahRain22 Posts: 67
    edited June 2011
    Good point. I know there are tuning mods that make leveling up in careers and skills harder. I just wish EA would thought of this and implemented that into the game. But seeing as how it's a free form, "do what you want" type game, I can understand why they didn't.
  • kmsim15kmsim15 Posts: 1,552 Member
    edited June 2011
    I get what you all are saying, but I find myself disagreeing. If the game were just like real life where everything took a great deal of effort, then it would not be any fun. I want to escape a little bit from the real world when I play the Sims. And some of the career paths are more difficult than others, it is hard to have your sim be a investigator and go all over town, when you have other family members that you have to keep an eye on as well.
    edited June 2011
    Maybe not exactly as hard as it is in real life, but certainly a bit harder in the sims, yes? Maybe leveling up 1-5 could remain the same, but higher than that leveling up would become proportionally harder the higher up you go. So that getting to level 10 would would be 10 times (or more) as hard as it was to get to level 2.
  • LoebieeLoebiee Posts: 24 New Member
    edited June 2011
    I couldn't agree more! I feel there is not enough challenge in the game. Getting at the top of a career or profession, getting friends or married, getting rich. My family of 8 sims could easily survive without any sim working. They can live from the money that their parents (who both died) earned. They have a big villa with everything they can wish for. And still they only need to pay 2000 simoleons max which means nothing for their financial status.

Another thing, my sims are always happy. They are rarely unhappy because their needs are too easily to keep up. I understand that it is a game and it needs to stay fun. But maybe it's all just slighty too easy. And therefor it gets boring pretty fast..
    edited June 2011
    Loebiee wrote:
    I couldn't agree more! I feel there is not enough challenge in the game. Getting at the top of a career or profession, getting friends or married, getting rich. My family of 8 sims could easily survive without any sim working. They can live from the money that their parents (who both died) earned. They have a big villa with everything they can wish for. And still they only need to pay 2000 simoleons max which means nothing for their financial status.

Another thing, my sims are always happy. They are rarely unhappy because their needs are too easily to keep up. I understand that it is a game and it needs to stay fun. But maybe it's all just slighty too easy. And therefor it gets boring pretty fast..
    I was just saying something similar in another thread.
    I'd like a slightly harder game and slightly harder to make happy sims. Even, perpetually unhappy sims. The cheeriness can get kinda old sometimes. So I'd like to see different traits that make it harder to make sims happy or are just fun to play with, like a Morose trait or Bratty trait.
  • CleoSombraCleoSombra Posts: 289
    edited June 2011
    Mods.

There are mods out there for these exact types of things. My biggest annoyance, personally, is how fast sims acquire money. It's ridiculous. So I have a higher/harder bills mod than increases bill x4 (or maybe it's x5). In twinbrook, my two floor house gets bills of around $1700 twice a week. It's nice.

There are mods that allow for slower skilling, and I know there's a mod floating around on the internet that stops free work performance (I'm not sure about the details of it - I think the sim needs to work hard in order to get a promotion).
  • orrasfairyorrasfairy Posts: 224 Member
    edited June 2011
    CleoSombra wrote:
    Mods.

There are mods out there for these exact types of things. My biggest annoyance, personally, is how fast sims acquire money. It's ridiculous. So I have a higher/harder bills mod than increases bill x4 (or maybe it's x5). In twinbrook, my two floor house gets bills of around $1700 twice a week. It's nice.

There are mods that allow for slower skilling, and I know there's a mod floating around on the internet that stops free work performance (I'm not sure about the details of it - I think the sim needs to work hard in order to get a promotion).

Where do you get your mods?
  • KalaniCoolKalaniCool Posts: 64 Member
    edited June 2011
    orrasfairy wrote:
    CleoSombra wrote:
    Mods.

Where do you get your mods?
    I used to get mine from modthesims.com But then after six years my computer crash and I got a new one. I now play a mod free game
  • SkyscraperfanSkyscraperfan Posts: 4,287 Member
    edited June 2011
    but you must remember, sims only live for a few weeks. if a sim has a lifespan of 90 days then each day = 0.87 of a year, which would mean one day in sims = 317 human days or about 10.5 months.
    My current Novelcy and general blog:
    https://themostevilfish.wordpress.com/
  • mikitta47mikitta47 Posts: 2,250 New Member
    edited June 2011
    Try this if you want a tough challenge => http://s3ac.wikia.com/wiki/Sims_3_Apocalypse_Challenge_Wiki

The discussion for this is here => http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/234765.page

God Bless,
    mik

• CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited June 2011
    We need "Fears" back.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • simgreensimgreen Posts: 1,630 New Member
    edited June 2011
    I like the Fears idea again.

But also, you have to consider that one sim day is equivalent to one human year if the settings are set to 'normal', or something like that. Don't think of it as being promoted 'every day'. Think of it as being promoted 'every year'.
  • Kiarapuppy1Kiarapuppy1 Posts: 3
    edited May 2012
    At the very least they could bring back... Uhh... This one feature from the Sims 2. I have no idea what to call it, or when it started coming up. But every so often, when your Sims where away from home with out you (Work, School), You would sometimes get a pop-up, like the ones when someone calls and wants to talk to you. It would give you a quick story of what was happening and Three choices. One would get you demoted/fired, one would get you promoted, and one was neutral.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    edited May 2012
    At the very least they could bring back... Uhh... This one feature from the Sims 2. I have no idea what to call it, or when it started coming up. But every so often, when your Sims where away from home with out you (Work, School), You would sometimes get a pop-up, like the ones when someone calls and wants to talk to you. It would give you a quick story of what was happening and Three choices. One would get you demoted/fired, one would get you promoted, and one was neutral.

They're called chance cards.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,536 Member
    edited May 2012
    I feel like my Sims can do anything, be anything. I think that is great, but I wish that they faced more obstacles. In real life, you can't get promoted every day and become a rock star in a few days, or have a spouse in a day (well, you can, but not usually). I feel like, for me, that's what is making the game boring. All I can do is watch these little computer people become anything without really trying.
    Also, I don't want it to be as hard as life, since that would be no fun! I just wanted it to be filled with a tiny bit more obstacles, like fears (as some have mentioned) or the fatal flaw, like in medieval.

When you create a sim, you can choose different treats, it's totally up to you. If your sim is a coward, they are afraid anytime they are outside and it's dark. If you don't want to make them that way, start playing with some of the sims already created in the game. Challenges and harder game is all up to yourself. And remember what is hard to someone is easy for others. In the Sims you absolutely have all possibilities.
    edited May 2012
    It's not really a day, because assuming that you are playing on normal lifespan, and sims live to the life expectancy of an average american, each day represents over 2/3s of an Earth year.
  • Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    edited May 2012

When you create a sim, you can choose different treats, it's totally up to you. If your sim is a coward, they are afraid anytime they are outside and it's dark. If you don't want to make them that way, start playing with some of the sims already created in the game. Challenges and harder game is all up to yourself. And remember what is hard to someone is easy for others. In the Sims you absolutely have all possibilities.

But the traits are useless, if you pick a coward, they're not afraid whenever they're outside and it's dark... They get a stupid moodlet that says that they're afraid and that's it, they don't act afraid, they don't shiver periodically and look around worried, no they just get that dumb moodlet.
    If you pick the Evil trait, they never do anything actually evil... All it does is give them an evil laugh idle animation and renames a few actions, oh and you can take candy from toddler sims... Yay.
    raw
  • RockChickRockChick Posts: 1,015 Member
    edited May 2012
    Fears would be great!! And burglars taking money from the account when the sims are robbed would be good too.
    I get bored of all that cash rolling in!
    We definately need more dangerous vampires as well, and more risky situations that involve mild comic peril!
    And I fully concur, having played the sims 2 again recently it was nice to actually have cause and effect with sims moods that impacted gameplay rather than just reading what they were feeling in the moodlets panel. It would be great if we could tell what was happening with their mood by their actions and faces.
  • mangoesandlimesmangoesandlimes Posts: 2,623 Member
    edited May 2012
    but you must remember, sims only live for a few weeks. if a sim has a lifespan of 90 days then each day = 0.87 of a year, which would mean one day in sims = 317 human days or about 10.5 months.

Oof, that makes sim pregnancies over two years long. And maternity leave is what, five or six years?

Anyway, I agree with the OP - I'd like to see different difficulty modes for the sims where the game increases bills, decreases starting funds, amplifies negative moodlets, makes promotions harder, etc. for harder difficulty levels. I know there are mods, but not everyone plays with mods and it'd be nice to have more options everyone could use.
    edited May 2012

Oof, that makes sim pregnancies over two years long. And maternity leave is what, five or six years?

The ratio does have problems with pregnancies, but if 3 sim days = 9 months, then sims would only live to be about 23 in human years, so if you would like to imagine a 23 year old elder, then the pregnancy thing works.
  • murfeelmurfeel Posts: 7,584 Member
    edited May 2012
    CK213 wrote:
    I thought the Fatal Flaw feature from Medieval was interesting. Some of them were fun, but could be a bit detrimental to a sim's progression.

I had a clumsy, cowardly, neurotic sims breeze through the space program to become an astronaut. I think her traits should have created special challenges for her to overcome because she clearly didn't have the right stuff to float to the top of her career.

True.
    Traits should do more than silly moodlet dips and idle actions.
    If my sim is clumsy, let them break every other thing they come into contact with. If they are cowardly or snobbish, shy or narrow minded in some other way, then anyting outside of their comfort zone (like favorites) they shy away from--if their favorite color is blue they will naturally stay away from red things; if they;re Vegans then they have nothing to say to Steak lovers, if they love Classical music, all Electronica lovers are given the boot--something that will actually cause problems for a sim.

The ratio does have problems with pregnancies, but if 3 sim days = 9 months, then sims would only live to be about 23 in human years, so if you would like to imagine a 23 year old elder, then the pregnancy thing works.

OMG--TOO MUCH MATH!!!! :XD:
    EA should add a Helpless With Nummbers trait for stupid sims like me. :lol:
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited May 2012
    I hope no one minds me commenting. I said some of these things in General, explaining why some may feel bored. I know I do.

The problem is there is No failure in this game. I for one would like to see a return of Aspiration failure. My Sims can get a promotion as long as I suck up to the boss, hang with the co workers and very few skills. My singer in ST was at level 8 within 2 Sim weeks or less.

The problem to me is No bad things ever happen in this game, it's too pretty, too easy, too much happiness. I hope they do add some major disasters, it's funny when Sims die, they aren't people, they are Sims, so more bad things should happen to them. I wish when they have Aspiration Failure, they would hallucinate. But to be honest none of my Sims have ever reached an Aspiration failure...because no matter how hard I try the moodlets always seem to roll and get fulfilled and nothing Bad happens.

There isn't any point of Fears without Aspriation Failure, and there is no point in Aspiration Failure again, Unless I can see a Sim dance with the mop, see the doctor, the Social Bunny again or something just as crazy. TS3 isn't fun in that respect, and to me that is the problem.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • mangoesandlimesmangoesandlimes Posts: 2,623 Member
    edited May 2012
    Cinebar wrote:
    I hope no one minds me commenting. I said some of these things in General, explaining why some may feel bored. I know I do.

The problem is there is No failure in this game. I for one would like to see a return of Aspiration failure. My Sims can get a promotion as long as I suck up to the boss, hang with the co workers and very few skills. My singer in ST was at level 8 within 2 Sim weeks or less.

The problem to me is No bad things ever happen in this game, it's too pretty, too easy, too much happiness. I hope they do add some major disasters, it's funny when Sims die, they aren't people, they are Sims, so more bad things should happen to them. I wish when they have Aspiration Failure, they would hallucinate. But to be honest none of my Sims have ever reached an Aspiration failure...because no matter how hard I try the moodlets always seem to roll and get fulfilled and nothing Bad happens.

There isn't any point of Fears without Aspriation Failure, and there is no point in Aspiration Failure again, Unless I can see a Sim dance with the mop, see the doctor, the Social Bunny again or something just as crazy. TS3 isn't fun in that respect, and to me that is the problem.

I really miss social bunny and just failing sims in general.