Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"There was an error during startup. Please see the Log for more details"

Brentusala1PBrentusala1P Posts: 8 New Member
edited February 27 in Nominated Threads
Okay, so I digitally bought Generations, I got the patch downloaded and the game is installed and everything. So when I go to click the launcher to play the game, the launcher comes up with a box saying "There was an error during startup, please see the log for more details."

***? How do I fix this please help!
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,414 Member
    edited May 2011
    Thats what I got and when you go to TS3.exe it still won't work.
  • Brentusala1PBrentusala1P Posts: 8 New Member
    edited May 2011
    I'm talking to a guy on EA's live chat thing... This is my 4th time talking to someone.. This is so annoying.
    edited May 2011
    I'm talking to a guy on EA's live chat thing... This is my 4th time talking to someone.. This is so annoying.
    edited May 2011
    That thing is useless, I had to talk to someone on there yesterday and they didn't even help. But if someone has a solution I'd love to know what it could be.
  • mightypinkymightypinky Posts: 83 New Member
    edited May 2011
    Same here!!! Was so happy to finally install it, and now BANG it crash!!! What to do!! I'm about to cry!!!! :(
    edited May 2011
    Same here!!! Was so happy to finally install it, and now BANG it crash!!! What to do!! I'm about to cry!!!! :(

That's how I feel! I was so happy to get this game after work and now I can't even play it.
    edited May 2011
    The guy on customer service just moved me to level 2 of customer service because they are more equipped for my issue.. I feel ima be with this problem for a while...
    edited May 2011
    Any luck yet?
  • PellyPelly Posts: 4
    edited June 2011
    Mine came up with the same thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you guys work out how to fix it?!! :(
  • molmolmolmol Posts: 157
    edited June 2011
    i was having digital installation problems, and after talking to tier 2 tech on their website, the only thing that fixed it for me was to uninstall every EP, leave the base game attached tho. then see if there's an update for the base game in the launcher before installing the EPS again in the right order (which is the order they were released in)
  • genieukgenieuk Posts: 118 Member
    edited June 2011
    molmol wrote:
    i was having digital installation problems, and after talking to tier 2 tech on their website, the only thing that fixed it for me was to uninstall every EP, leave the base game attached tho. then see if there's an update for the base game in the launcher before installing the EPS again in the right order (which is the order they were released in)

:shock: That's is bad having to do all that. Well i hope i won't need to as i will not be happy!

Mine are all discs but i enter my code in EADM and rather download so that way i don't have to use dvd-drive and listen to it whirring in gameplay, plus hard drive is quicker and keeps my discs in pristine condition but everyone is having problems with the digital download version so i'm going to have to install and play via disc until EA fixes these problems and hope it works for me.
  • littlesnowbearlittlesnowbear Posts: 17
    edited June 2011
    molmol wrote:

Mine says it can't download until i haveupdated my game my game says there are no updates. I guess this is what i'll have to do. Not happy :x
  • molmolmolmol Posts: 157
    edited June 2011
    molmol wrote:

Mine says it can't download until i haveupdated my game my game says there are no updates. I guess this is what i'll have to do. Not happy :x

yup that was my exact problem. i downloaded it and the EADM wouldn't let it install - it said i had to update my game but there were no updates. only worked to uninstall and reinstall. such a pain!!
  • niczfrowyniczfrowy Posts: 4
    edited June 2011
    i am having the same problem! was it the update that caused it? i was so excited to play it. oh well
  • pgamble1pgamble1 Posts: 14
    edited June 2011
    I have 2 pc's. One with windows 7 64bit and one with Windows Xp 64 bit. The game installed without a hitch on windows 7 but I was getting the startup error on the windows xp box. When I looked at the directories between the two, I noticed that for some reason the installer was not placing ALL the files on my windows xp box and thus tossing this error. I'm not sure why it was doing it. Luckily though, the solution was to simply copy over the entire folder from my windows 7 box to the windows xp box for the expansion that was causing the problem and re-install from there.

I don't know if this is an issue where the digital copy isn't pulling down the entire package or if its an issue where the installer just isn't placing everything out there. I realize this isn't a solution for you but maybe the EA people will be able to look into this and verify. At the very least you should be able to verify how many files are being placed in your new expansion folder. There should be a lot of files in there.
    edited June 2011
    molmol wrote:

Have you tried to manually patch from this page?
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/380967.page

That is what I had to do in order to get it to work.

• littlesnowbearlittlesnowbear Posts: 17
    edited June 2011
    pgamble1 wrote:
    molmol wrote:

Tried the manual patch but it says the sims is open so i can't patch. (the sims is not open) now the whole game is busted
    edited June 2011
    pgamble1 wrote:
    molmol wrote:

Tried the manual patch but it says the sims is open so i can't patch. (the sims is not open) now the whole game is busted

I had this issue as well and the only way to get it to let go was to restart my pc, then patch it. Don't open the sims 3 launcher or the EA Download manager as these two things can hold on to the game and prevent it from patching. Another possibility is when you do open the launcher, go to updates and try unchecking the automatic updates. When I did this an update suddenly appeared when it previously said there were no updates.
  • candiedpeachescandiedpeaches Posts: 70
    edited June 2011
    I have this problem too and I haven't even installed the game yet! I tried to earlier but it froze while trying to "update" my base game so i had to restart my computer and it came up with this when I tried to enter the launcher. I'm using the disks too.
  • Georgia82Georgia82 Posts: 4
    edited June 2011
    Same problem here. I have checked the folder of generations and its almost empty after installation (10MB :O) Does any one knows where the rest is being put in the system?
    EDIT: WinXP 32bit
    edited June 2011
    Georgia82 wrote:
    Same problem here. I have checked the folder of generations and its almost empty after installation (10MB :O) Does any one knows where the rest is being put in the system?
    EDIT: WinXP 32bit

Wow, my sims generations folder shows 981 MB's after installation on my system that is working. There is definitely something wrong with the installer. It definitely isn't installing everything. It is doing what you said on my wifes pc. Luckily I was able to copy over my folder to her pc after the install and it worked fine.

If this was a digital download, may have been an issue there.
  • Georgia82Georgia82 Posts: 4
    edited June 2011
    SOLUTION FOR GENERATIONS
    If you have bought Sims 3 generations through EA Store this is a solution for you.

As Pgamble1 said, after installing electronic version of Generations on WinXp 32/64bit folder that should contain game is missing some files, hence the luncher cannot run and returns an error.

Step.1
    Manually patch the game with the patch you can find here http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/380967.page
    Step.2
    Find both folders, the one that you have downloaded with EADM (istallation folder) and the one that the game was installed on. Can't find it? Search your computer for 'The Sims 3 Generations' (default folder name)
    Step.3
    Mark all folders and files you can see inside installation folder and copy them in to the game folder. If it asks you if you want to overwrite folders or files say 'yes to all'.
    Step.4
    Run the game. It should work now. Enjoy!

I hope that helps.
  • GirlwithcurlsGirlwithcurls Posts: 333 Member
    edited June 2011
    pgamble1 wrote:
    molmol wrote:

:DI AM SO HAPPYY! THIS WORKED!! I HAVE BEEN WORKING ON THIS FOR OVER THREE DAYS!!!

I was about to cry. I actually had the game working and was playing it, then ran my PC Tweaker and everything went crazy then. Thank you for posting the link. YOu have made me very happy, now i can actually get some sleep, i have been working on this non-stop after i get home from work.

THANK YOU! :)
  • JesKayMJesKayM Posts: 1 New Member
    edited June 2011
    ok so i have the same problem... but i think it's because i cancelled one of my updates.. but the problem is.. how can i update my game when i can't get to launcher?
  • lORINECasseylORINECassey Posts: 2
    edited June 2011
    I'm Having the Same problem. Can somebody please help me :(

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top