Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New ep, what to remove ne ? ~

Well, I haven't gotten GEN yet, I guess I'll get it on wednesday, if I'm lucky I might get it tomorrow >A<
But...
When installing a EP I know you have to remove the mods folder so the game wont mess up, and then I would have to remove it to a safe place. I also know that I have to delete my mods and wait for the modder to update them.
But, what about the CC/store items in my launcher? Do I have to remove that as well? Or can I just let it stay? Or can I just click the 'Run without custom content'?

I seriously can't remember what I did with LN :oops: :lol:

Comments

• nicolebrittanyynicolebrittanyy Posts: 6,513 Member
    edited May 2011
    :oops:

You're supposed to do all of that? Not once have I ever removed any of my mods when I installed a new game ... :lol: Whoops!

And I'm sure all your CC in the launcher will be fine.
  • MLittlepawMLittlepaw Posts: 17,193 New Member
    edited May 2011

You're supposed to do all of that? Not once have I ever removed any of my mods when I installed a new game ... :lol: Whoops!

What about the normal CC in your Mods folder?
  • crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited May 2011
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
    edited May 2011
    As far as any third party CC/Mods you should remove them and backup all your game data. The reason is that these are EA patch/updates and the CC/Mods are not. The patch/updates, new EP/SP is made for updating EA's code. If you patch/update or install with the modifications (non EA code), you run the risk of ruining your game. Simple as that.

As far as content in (.sims3pack) form "mostly EA created content" in the games Downloads folder, you should be fine. However, I'd still create backup regardless.
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).
  • nicolebrittanyynicolebrittanyy Posts: 6,513 Member
    edited May 2011
    MLittlepaw wrote:

What about the normal CC in your Mods folder?

Same thing. I don't see why that would cause a problem. I could understand if your game started having problems because of outdated mods, but CC? nah. CC doesn't require specific expansion packs to work. But to be on the safe side, I'm gonna be moving all my folders to my desktop when I install Generations, and then move them back afterwards. I'm just gonna leave all my items in the launcher, because I don't see how that would cause a problem.

I'll be installing Generations in a few hours, and I'll let ya know how it goes :P
  • crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited May 2011
    There were the windows/doors that started making problems with the LN patch.

You don't HAVE to take them out for patching but if you run into any problems, you should remove all CC before looking for further help.
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• luckynicole659luckynicole659 Posts: 7,707 New Member
    edited May 2011
    Just take out the dbc file and put it back in once your done installing. Thatll work for the CC in the launcher
  • krizia1234krizia1234 Posts: 241 New Member
    edited May 2011
    Wait,Can you install the game when the basegame is running without CC?
    edited May 2011
    Let me just say this. Best practice is if you have modded the game in any way, undo what you did to get the game back to how EA expects it, in order to patch/update/install a new game. Update what you have to update and install what you have to install. Start your games to make sure they run without any third party CC/Mods, then go about adding everything back piece by piece. If you don't, then I'll suspect on Tuesday and the following days there will be thread after thread of this or that not working. :?
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
  • BimleSimBimleSim Posts: 2,979 Member
    edited May 2011
    Thanks for the help ^^ I'll just try then (when I actually get GEN) :lol:

I just remembered my game failed when I tried to install LN because I forgot to take out my mods folder. It wouldn't start up at all :oops:
    Then I removed my mods folder and everything was fine, but I can't remember what I did with the stuff in the launcher ^^;;
  • YoungRider432YoungRider432 Posts: 71 Member
    edited May 2011
    I read Crinrict's guide and it was extremely helpful, but I just have a couple of questions. So I just move the folders that need to be moved and put them onto my desktop? When I'm done installing do I just move them back to where they were? Also the only "mods" I have are clothing/hair/makeup so I'm not sure if that is technically still a mod. Thanks for the help! :D
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,560 Member
    edited May 2011
    I read Crinrict's guide and it was extremely helpful, but I just have a couple of questions. So I just move the folders that need to be moved and put them onto my desktop? When I'm done installing do I just move them back to where they were? Also the only "mods" I have are clothing/hair/makeup so I'm not sure if that is technically still a mod. Thanks for the help! :D

From my understanding, Mods are files (items) that modify gameplay. I have the pointed ears slider Mod that allows me to give my Sims in CAS pointed ears, for instance, where there were none before. The stuff you listed is basically cc (custom content). Generally, these items don't change the gameplay.

Hope I helped.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • KoumoriDiruKoumoriDiru Posts: 6,681 Member
    edited May 2011

That's custom content (CC). Mods are files that modify the game eg Master Controller or Story Progression.

This thread has confused the heck outta me :?
    tumblr_nvbyvezH0b1uvyu9yo8_r1_400.gif
  • aleneghan619aleneghan619 Posts: 4,947 Member
    edited May 2011
    Sooo.. We need to remove mods folder and all mods.. plus cach files? is that all then?
    tumblr_inline_movqnq54lT1qz4rgp.gif

• Blood0rchidBlood0rchid Posts: 669 New Member
    edited May 2011
    I was reading the readme files for MC and overwatch... but I cannot find where they explain how to uninstall them... i know we need to reset world somhow to send every one back to the home lots.. but im not sure what the sub menus are for that option...
    edited May 2011
    I was reading the readme files for MC and overwatch... but I cannot find where they explain how to uninstall them... i know we need to reset world somhow to send every one back to the home lots.. but im not sure what the sub menus are for that option...
    It would not be unwise to reset everything. You should from time to time. If there aren't specific instructions listed at the bottom where the warning is then you should be okay just to remove the mods. Both the ones you have listed just mention backing up your files (normal stuff). However, there is one particular mod (I won't mention the name) that requires you to use MasterController's "Town \ Reset Everything" to stop all running interactions prior to uninstalling. It states very clearly at the bottom of the Readme.txt,

Be aware of this issue:
    This is an Interaction Injector mod. BEFORE uninstalling, you must ensure that no sim is performing any of the interactions added by this mod. Failure to do so will bounce the game on load-up.
  • Blood0rchidBlood0rchid Posts: 669 New Member
    edited May 2011
    blunote00 wrote:
    It would not be unwise to reset everything. You should from time to time. If there aren't specific instructions listed at the bottom where the warning is then you should be okay just to remove the mods. Both the ones you have listed just mention backing up your files (normal stuff). However, there is one particular mod (I won't mention the name) that requires you to use MasterController's "Town \ Reset Everything" to stop all running interactions prior to uninstalling. It states very clearly at the bottom of the Readme.txt,

Be aware of this issue:
    This is an Interaction Injector mod. BEFORE uninstalling, you must ensure that no sim is performing any of the interactions added by this mod. Failure to do so will bounce the game on load-up.

Yes, I believe I have that mod.. which is why I want to reset my town...BUT im unsure which sub category to go into in MC to access the reset town option... can you help?
    edited May 2011
    blunote00 wrote:

Be aware of this issue:

Yes, I believe I have that mod.. which is why I want to reset my town...BUT im unsure which sub category to go into in MC to access the reset town option... can you help?
    Town
    Reset Everything
    Performs a Reset on every object in the town