Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why Does my Game Suck so Much?

Before I purchased the Sims 3, I made sure that it would work on my new computer. All sources, including the game store employee, assured me that it would.

For several months, the game was fine. But now it is freezing consistently at 5 second intervals, and my Sims keep getting stuck, thus I keep having to reset them. When I pause the game, I can navigate smoothly. But when it's on normal speed, it's an absolute nightmare.

I have the base game, Ambitions, and Late Night. I have *NO* custom content or mods installed.

I have a brand new Compaq Presario CQ5300F.
AMD Sempron LE-1300 Processor (2.3 GHz, 512KB Cache, 1600 MHz System Bus)
2GB PC2-6400 DDR2 SDRAM memory (expandable to 4GB)
320GB Serial ATA hard drive
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE Graphics with 256MB integrated shared graphics memory. Up to 895MB Total Available Graphics Memory as allocated by Windows 7.

So far, I have heard two suggestions:
-I need to expand the memory.
-I need to buy a new graphics card.
However, I don't think it's the graphics card because it worked perfectly fine before...

Please help me. I spent so much money on these games and I'm extremely angry right now.

Comments

• Options
    UronkaUronka Posts: 486 New Member
    edited May 2011
    Join the club. :roll:

Mine ran fine like yours until Late Night and then started experiencing the exact same problems.

I have reinstalled several times now and the game has been freezing every 10 mins ever since no matter what EP is installed. Basically its Base game + no patches = fine.. until I update and it all goes down hill from there.

Tried every work around, ran with no cc and the specs are more than good enough (even if they weren't, why did the game run flawlessly before and not now and why do people seem to be running the game better on Computers not up to spec??).

Anyway, I have set my computer back to factory settings (I don't recommend this as a fix btw, I had to do it anyway :lol: ). The exact same state it was in when it ran the Sims 3 flawlessly. I am going to manually install each update and test game play to see if its a patch issue. If not, I will update drivers and such and see if it is that.

I will report findings here later.

• Options
    DoomDollDoomDoll Posts: 33
    edited May 2011
    Thank you! I am glad I'm not alone.
    My game WAS working flawlessly... even after the latest patch, so I really have no idea what could have gone wrong! :[
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Believe me you are not alone! :lol:

A lot of players have been left out in the cold since around the time LN came out (just search Google for Sims 3 freezing issues and look how many pages it has :roll: ), and I am betting it is down to a patch not agreeing with certain NVIDIA drivers/updates because of lazy coding.
  • Options
    bob007bob007 Posts: 10,062 Member
    edited May 2011
    I can't stay quiet anymore!!!

DoomDoll - minimum cpu requirement is P4 2.4, your is a single core Sempron (the cheap version of the Athlon) and 2.3. The game should run but you WILL have performance issues. The integrated 6150 gpu is NOT on the supported list - that isn't saying it won't run but don't be surprised if you have problems. That 895mb of graphic memory has to come from somewhere and that somewhere is main memory. You have 2gb main memory minus what system is allocating for graphics (I'm guessing 500mb). TS3 consumes over 1gb of memory. So that leaves about 400mb for Windows 7 and all the other services that are running. 2gb is not enough! Yes you NEED more memory. Getting a graphics card (if your computer supports it) will free up some memory (you still need more), will increase the framerate and the max resolution you can run the game. Main memory is slow memory for the graphics that's why the card has dedicated graphic memory (probably fast ddr5). Getting a graphics card will take some load off the chipset.

Did the salesman try to sell you some swampland?
    I do not work for EA nor do I have any association with EA. I am a gamer helping other gamers.
  • Options
    SimGuru_BGY_11SimGuru_BGY_11 Posts: 7,508 SimGuru (retired)
    edited May 2011
    Hi there.

Can you post your DXDiag output for review, please? Let's take a full look at your system.

http://support.ea.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61

Thanks,

-Big Guy-
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Right back, I seem to have been mistaken in blaming the problem on one of the patchs for which I am sorry. :oops:

It seems to be a problem (on my end anyway), with one of the NVIDIA updates as I have installed everything Sims 3 related I had after the factory reset, right up to Late Night and the latest patch and the game is running fine atm.

The only thing I have not reinstalled yet are any NVIDIA Driver updates and I have a sneaking feeling now it could due to one of the latest NVIDIA driver updates.

So the age old saying "Make sure your drivers are all up to date" is not always correct. :lol:

And sorry again, was wrong to place all the blame at EA's door. :oops:
  • Options
    ltd2mp87ltd2mp87 Posts: 728 Member
    edited May 2011
    I experience the same thing, started happening after Late Night. It happens for me not just in Bridgeport, but also other worlds i play. At first the game is fine, but all of a sudden after a while it starts freezing for minutes at a time. I think it happens when some error occurs like a sim geting stuck, and then the computer cant process the game properly.
    One thing that i noticed that delays the point at which my game starts freezing is deleting all my caches before i turn the game on, including the world caches.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    ltd2mp87 - Depending on your computer hardware you may have the stuck sim problem or too many cars. Some computers have a problem with the ai in LN. Seems the npcs don't act as expected. I have noticed lagging when the game has trouble with routing a sim. TS3 really suffers in performance when the game has to rely on virtual memory. Virtual memory is used when you run out of physical memory and parts of program data is swapped from physical memory on and off your hard drive. This is a slow process by computer standards. This could be compounded by lack of free space on your hard drive.

There are so many things that can affect computer performance. You have to run the check list and see if there is a problem. Playing graphical games is like going from a Ford Pinto to a Chevy Corvette. It's all about performance. Due to the infinite different combinations of hardware each computer needs to be looked at in a new light.

I'm not saying that TS3 doesn't have bugs. It does. I've had the bad mood bug, the book club bug, can't excavate dig sites, etc. But I find the game basically playable.

I do not work for EA nor do I have any association with EA. I am a gamer helping other gamers.
  • Options
    tecsimstecsims Posts: 42 Member
    edited May 2011
    I carnt even play it off the launcher now and now i carnt unistall the sims 3 cos its saying error
    and sims 3 is makeing me very angery :twisted:
  • Options
    45rpm45rpm Posts: 2,606 Member
    edited May 2011
    I can play for a long time and then it starts with major problems that make
    is unplayable
    I found one mod has helped me big time but I dont believe in mods but had no
    choice. It was either that or kiss alot of money spent on games good bye.

Its the only game i have problems of a major kind with and I buy and play plenty.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I only started having this problem after I noticed that a random townie was stuck. I used the reset Sim button and somehow I feel like the reset Sim command frees the one sim but causes others to get stuck immediately after.

I just don't get it. I've had the game for probably 6 months. Now all of a sudden, within the past week, it starts doing this? I know I don't have the best graphics or memory, but I was having no problem until now!

I don't think anyone tried to trick me. Everyone I talked to, the salesman included, legitimately believed it would work. And it did, until now.

• Options
    edited May 2011
    Here is more info if it will help. Like I said, not the best computer, but I really think it should be able to run my game at least semi-decently...

System Information
    Time of this report: 5/5/2011, 15:30:51
    Machine name: JOHANNA-PC
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100226-1909)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Compaq-Presario
    System Model: AY026AA-ABA CQ5300F
    BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: AMD Sempron(tm) Processor LE-1300, ~2.3GHz
    Memory: 2048MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 1918MB RAM
    Page File: 1740MB used, 2096MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

Display Devices
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_03D0&SUBSYS_2A6C103C&REV_A2
    Display Memory: 825 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 121 MB
    Shared Memory: 703 MB
    Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (75Hz)
    Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
    Monitor Model: E15LCD1
    Monitor Id: AMT0051
    Native Mode: 1024 x 768(p) (75.267Hz)
    Output Type: HD15
    Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvd3dum
    Driver File Version: 8.15.0011.8655 (English)
    Driver Version: 8.15.11.8655
    DDI Version: 9Ex
    Driver Model: WDDM 1.0
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 7/29/2009 04:41:00, 9480192 bytes
    WHQL Logo'd: n/a
    WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
    Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4090-11CF-4352-670A02C2C535}
    Vendor ID: 0x10DE
    Device ID: 0x03D0
    SubSys ID: 0x2A6C103C
    Revision ID: 0x00A2
    Driver Strong Name: oem2.inf:NVIDIA_SetB_Devices.NTamd64.6.0:Section001:8.15.11.8655:pci\ven_10de&dev_03d0&subsys_2a6c103c
    Rank Of Driver: 00F60001

Sound Devices
    Description: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
    Default Sound Playback: Yes
    Default Voice Playback: Yes
    Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0888&SUBSYS_103C2A6C&REV_1002
    Manufacturer ID: 1
    Product ID: 100
    Type: WDM
    Driver Name: RTKVHD64.sys
    Driver Version: 6.00.0001.5938 (English)
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    WHQL Logo'd: n/a
    Date and Size: 9/15/2009 15:08:00, 2004128 bytes
    Other Files:
    Driver Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
    HW Accel Level: Basic
    Cap Flags: 0xF1F
    Min/Max Sample Rate: 100, 200000
    Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 1, 0
    Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
    HW Memory: 0
    Voice Management: No
    EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
    I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
    Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No

Sound Capture Devices

DirectInput Devices
    Device Name: Mouse
    Attached: 1
    Controller ID: n/a
    Vendor/Product ID: n/a
    FF Driver: n/a

Device Name: Keyboard
    Controller ID: n/a
    Vendor/Product ID: n/a

Device Name: USB Keyboard
    Controller ID: 0x0
    Vendor/Product ID: 0x0461, 0x0010

Device Name: USB Keyboard
    Controller ID: 0x0
    Vendor/Product ID: 0x0461, 0x0010

Poll w/ Interrupt: No

USB Devices
    + USB Root Hub
    | Vendor/Product ID: 0x10DE, 0x03F1
    | Matching Device ID: usb\root_hub
    | Service: usbhub
    |
    +-+ USB Input Device
    | | Vendor/Product ID: 0x0461, 0x4D20
    | | Location: Port_#0001.Hub_#0001
    | | Matching Device ID: generic_hid_device
    | | Service: HidUsb
    | |
    | +-+ HID-compliant mouse
    | | | Vendor/Product ID: 0x0461, 0x4D20
    | | | Matching Device ID: hid_device_system_mouse
    | | | Service: mouhid

Gameport Devices

PS/2 Devices
    + HID Keyboard Device
    | Vendor/Product ID: 0x0461, 0x0010
    | Matching Device ID: hid_device_system_keyboard
    | Service: kbdhid
    |
    + Terminal Server Keyboard Driver
    | Matching Device ID: root\rdp_kbd
    | Upper Filters: kbdclass
    | Service: TermDD
    |
    + Terminal Server Mouse Driver
    | Matching Device ID: root\rdp_mou
    | Upper Filters: mouclass
    | Service: TermDD

Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives
    Drive: C:
    Free Space: 233.2 GB
    Total Space: 295.2 GB
    File System: NTFS
    Model: ST332041 8AS SCSI Disk Device

Drive: D:
    Free Space: 1.5 GB
    Total Space: 9.9 GB
    File System: NTFS
    Model: ST332041 8AS SCSI Disk Device

Drive: E:
    Model: hp CDDVDW TS-H653R SCSI CdRom Device
    Driver: c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys, 6.01.7600.16385 (English), , 0 bytes

• Options
    edited May 2011
    I stand by my previous post but now you NEED to get a video card for the empty PCIe slot and you NEED to get memory in the empty memory slot. I think I know a few things about home computers as my first computer was a Heathkit H88 (which I added the floppy drive to later when it came out). I'm also A+ certified, CCNA, and MCSE to name a few (I'm still trying to figure out what all that means). But hey what do I know.

btw your video driver is WAY out of date.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    tecsims - you can manually uninstall the game - http://support.ea.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/45/~/manually-uninstalling-sims-3

You can get a program called Revo uninstaller (google it - it's free) and that seems to get rid of stubborn programs.

After you uninstall I recommend a program called ccleaner (google it - it's free) to scan - fix the registry.

Please don't get angry. Problems like this are quite common although TS3 seems to have it share. If you check other game title sites you'll find TS3 is not alone with problems.
  • Options
    Sgizzle09Sgizzle09 Posts: 4,179 Member
    edited May 2011
    Im sorry but I had the exact same machine as you (2gb of RAM and 6150SE graphics card) and eventually my game wouldnt even load without taking 30 minutes..it was horrible!!!

I was told to add more RAM (so I did, I added 2gb myself and it cost around $40 and was actually REALLY easy to do, you just pop open the case and pop two 1gb sticks into the extra slots) *of course you need to check and make sure which RAM is compatible with your pc*

Then I was told if that didnt help that I should replace my graphics card. Well, it helped a little, but had glitchy graphics still so I ended up getting the NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT and also installed it myself (which wasnt that hard either, using instructions from the web) *This you will also need to make sure its compatible with your pc* and you may even need a new power supply to be able to handle the new graphic card* (in my experience, I had to buy a bigger wattaged Power supply)

After I did that, my game ran faster, clearer, and overall BETTER than I even knew that it could!

I know you dont want to go through the hassle of doing these things but I had to and it was *one* the best decision and investment I have ever made!! You will TRULY see a difference..

I was advised of all of this from an EA techie who worked with me and evaluated my game & dxdiag, here was his response (just to reference the above)

To: Sgizzle09
    Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 14:32:57 -0700
    Subject: RE: DXDIAG

"The diagnosis is that you are running out of RAM. Your video card is primarily to blame. It is using a lot of your system memory (700MB) which is leaving very little left for the game to use. (and causing your poor performance) I would suggest you replace your video card with one like the ones listed below:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130395

$65

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130509

$55 after Rebate

Both are reasonably priced and should improve your Sims 3 experience quite noticeably. If you are not computer savvy, you may want to just double check that these cards are compatible with your machine. It’s unlikely that they would not be, but it would be good to check with someone who can inspect your hardware in person.

Everyone here was quite impressed with your save game by the way. :)

-Jim"
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Thank you for the help!
    I will definitely look into getting a video card as well as upgrading the RAM.
    It's strange though, because I decided to start a new game, and it worked perfectly fine again!
    Therefore, I am thinking that perhaps it's a bug in the game itself and not my computer?
    Like I said, I seemed to experience problems only after some sims started getting stuck.
    Now in my new game, it's running very smoothly. How strange...
    But I will still probably get the video card and upgrade the RAM anyways.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    DoomDoll wrote:
    Thank you for the help!
    I will definitely look into getting a video card as well as upgrading the RAM.
    It's strange though, because I decided to start a new game, and it worked perfectly fine again!
    Therefore, I am thinking that perhaps it's a bug in the game itself and not my computer?
    Like I said, I seemed to experience problems only after some sims started getting stuck.
    Now in my new game, it's running very smoothly. How strange...
    But I will still probably get the video card and upgrade the RAM anyways.

Yea if you start a new game and find no lag, then I would definately think that saved game itself has issues. Stuck sims are usually the culprit & once many of them get stuck, the whole gameplay goes wack..something EA didnt really code right...Buut it could also mean the more you play, the more your memory is taken up by file caches, etc so you may not see lag now in the new game, but the more you play you just might but who knows...I would test that out, and more RAM first. That could definately enhance things & you may still get by with that card atleast for now..good luck!
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Also, something I overlooked:

Your graphic card driver is WAAAY out of date according to your dxdiag. I would suggest updating it to the most recent version for YOUR card found here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-270.61-whql-driver.html

it was released on April 18th :)