Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Tutorial: How to share your patterns & How to get your patterns into your game.

BlueMurderBlueMurder Posts: 418 Member
edited March 8 in Nominated Threads
You can get to both your exports and downloads folder by going to my documents.. electronic arts.. The Sims 3 and there they both should be.

Tutorial: How to share your pattern on the exchange
Step 1. In create a pattern once you are finished and ready to upload go to the menu button and click Export.
th_share01.jpg

Step 2. A window will pop up and you have to name your pattern, choose it’s category from the drop down menu and add a description.
th_share05.jpg

Step 3. Once your happy with all the information you’ve given just click the tick.
th_share02.jpg
th_share03.jpg

Step 4. Start your game so the entry window opens and click on Uploads. Your pattern should be there, just click the white box next to it and then click the upload at the bottom of the screen.
th_share04.jpg

Step 5. Once uploaded you will see an icon that looks like a page with the top right edge turned over and a swooping green arrow under it. This means it’s been successful and your pattern is now on the exchange.

If it has not worked you will see a red stop sign icon. I have often had this problem myself, I usually find that if I go back into CAP and save the pattern again using the same name it will work on the second attempt.

Tutorial: how to get a pattern you’ve created into your own game.

Step 1. Follow the actions above for exporting up to step 3, when you have finished that step your pattern file will be in the exports folder.

Step 2. Now start your game, click on uploads, select one file and click “show file” at the bottom of the page. This will open your exports folder.
th_downloadoptional.jpg

Step 3 . Click select all from the edit menu and press Ctrl C which will copy the items, or use the right hand click menu.
th_download01.jpg

Step 4. Now open my documents.. electronic arts.. the Sims 3.. and downloads and once there press Ctrl V to paste your selected files.
th_download02.jpg

Step 5. Now go back to your game loading screen and click on downloads, all files should be there now.

Step 6. Select the content you want and click on the Install button at the bottom of the screen.
th_download03.jpg

Step 7. Your installer will now pop up and if you have chosen quite a few files it will warn you it might take a while and ask if you want to continue.. I have had no problems from multiple installs so I always click yes. You can do them one by one if you prefer.
th_download05.jpg

Now when you use the create a style tool on any object from build and buy modes you can select your pattern and it will be ready in the CAS screen if you want to colour your clothes with your style.
th_download08.jpg

An Alternative way is to locate the Electronic Arts folder in "my documents", open this and then open The Sims 3. Here you have both the Exports folder and the Downloads folder. You can open the Exports folder and copy the files then go backwards to the sims 3 folder, open downloads, paste in the files, exit and start your game. the files will be ready and waiting to be installed.

I hope this has helped you. Please bear in mind this is only how I do things, it may not be the right way or the best way but it’s my way.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
<a href="http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/BlueMurder"&gt;
My Page, come and say Hi!
</a>
if you would like to see my thousands of patterns please click here..
<a href="http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/BlueMurder/mystudio"&gt;
My Studio</a>
<a href="http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/433072.page#6320685"&gt;
My Easy View Pattern showcase, see all in on one page!</a>

Tutorial: How to create your own stickers for CAP
http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/235932.page

Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• poohbear092981poohbear092981 Posts: 3 New Member
    edited July 2010
    How do you bring pictures from the internet like I see hello kitty and winnie the pooh stuff, how do I get it into the game? Can you help me? Thanks!
  • mazinmemazinme Posts: 3 New Member
    edited July 2010
    :D thankyou soooo much! Great turorial! x :):mrgreen:
  • PkmnTrainerBALPkmnTrainerBAL Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    Thank you! I couldn't figure out how to get my pattern into the game but now i think i can do it! :D
  • tricky0888tricky0888 Posts: 46
    edited August 2010
    How do you bring pictures from the internet like I see hello kitty and winnie the pooh stuff, how do I get it into the game? Can you help me? Thanks!

all you have to do is save the picture of the internet in your files by right clicking it and then selecting save as, then when you are on create a pattern select the add sticker tool :)
  • chucles70chucles70 Posts: 176 Member
    edited August 2010
    Thanks so much for this tutorial, I love how EA doesn't come up with a simpler way to put the patterns into your game. Leave it to the awesome people of the world to fix what EA missed! Oh and good tip on how to use internet pictures, now my patterns are going to look the best!! :D
  • BlueMurderBlueMurder Posts: 418 Member
    edited September 2010
    i'm sorry i haven't replied on this thread! i didn't realise it had replies!!!

thank you for your comments.

poohbear you need to download and instal the create a pattern tool, it's free. you can put your saved picture into it once it's up and running. drag it onto the middle square, stretch it to fit and then export. it's so much fun to fiddle with and create patterns and i know there's great tutorials out there or i'd have done one too.
  • Shaliera2Shaliera2 Posts: 12 New Member
    edited September 2010
    Thanks a lot for this information, BlueMurder. I have tried searching all over the net for this, and found nothing til I found your guide!
  • VirginSnakeVirginSnake Posts: 5
    edited October 2010
    Yay! Thank you so much for this tutorial!
    I couldn't figure out where my patterns were going after export. Now I know!
    It's seems complicated to put it in the game.. I shall try... and add this page to my favorites.
    Thanks again!

>.< This should be stickied.
  • BlueMurderBlueMurder Posts: 418 Member
    edited December 2010
    thank you, i hoped it helped.
  • poeticnebulapoeticnebula Posts: 3,912 Member
    edited December 2010
    BlueMurder, this is wonderful! Every so often I see these questions asked. I really hope they make this a sticky!
    Origin ID: ForgottenAmber
    Twitch: ForgottenAmber
    Discord: ForgottenAmber

31710852153_4c3c66dea7.jpg

#BobSquad
    #BobSquadForever

Friend of Liam
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    edited January 2011
    Hi

This info is great thanks very much, just one other question, Can you use the tool to create patterns,colours etc on your houses/sims whilst playing the game and if so will it save?

as a fairly new player to sims 3 I have been wanting to try this tool but am afraid i will do something in the game i wont be able to remove lol

Warm regards
    Sparky
  • poeticnebulapoeticnebula Posts: 3,912 Member
    edited January 2011
    SPARKY1922 wrote:
    Hi

This info is great thanks very much, just one other question, Can you use the tool to create patterns,colours etc on your houses/sims whilst playing the game and if so will it save?

as a fairly new player to sims 3 I have been wanting to try this tool but am afraid i will do something in the game i wont be able to remove lol

Warm regards
    Sparky

Create a Pattern is a stand alone tool and can't be used in game. However, you can use the create a style in game to change the patterns on your sims' clothes, walls, cars, and furniture. Once you've created the style you want you can save it and even upload it to share.

I hope that helps you!
    Origin ID: ForgottenAmber
    Twitch: ForgottenAmber
    Discord: ForgottenAmber

31710852153_4c3c66dea7.jpg

#BobSquad
    #BobSquadForever

Friend of Liam
  • AdamJ42AdamJ42 Posts: 8 New Member
    edited January 2011
    is there any way to create ones own clothes... not patterns, but actual clothes, my daughter is into designing her own clothes.
  • SimGuruHydraSimGuruHydra Posts: 1,458 Member
    edited January 2011
    We should have made this a sticky a while ago :oops: !

BlueMurder, thanks for creating this helpful tutorial!
  • justsophjustsoph Posts: 34 New Member
    edited April 2011
    thanks so much michelle, this has helped me heaps! xxxxx
  • TnT_TerryTnT_Terry Posts: 6,629 Member
    edited April 2011
    8) Great tutorial Michelle, this will be so useful to many simmers out there :wink:

HAPPY
    EASTER
    TO YOU

blueegg.gif

HUGS, TERRY
    I own every basegame, EP, GP, SP and kits for all sims, ie.., sims 1, 2, 3 and 4
    I am a sims 3 Store Owner Thanks to all my Amazing friends here, and I do own all store stuff from sims 2 as well!

gjmdPt7.png
  • LilSteph244LilSteph244 Posts: 22
    edited April 2011
    Great Tutorial...
    Please check out my patterns n rec if you like please
  • tysdovetysdove Posts: 20
    edited June 2011
    I have been having trouble getting my created patterns to work in my game. I can get them into the download folder just fine, and when I click on them to install it says it works, but once I get into the actual game, the patterns aren't there.
  • KasanthKasanth Posts: 166 Member
    edited June 2011
    tysdove wrote:
    I have been having trouble getting my created patterns to work in my game. I can get them into the download folder just fine, and when I click on them to install it says it works, but once I get into the actual game, the patterns aren't there.

I have had the same problem as well.
    Also have looked for my own patterns I uploaded to see if anyone liked and downloaded them, But have not seen a single one of them in the exchange even though it said it uploaded just fine.
  • MsPrissy88MsPrissy88 Posts: 3,122 Member
    edited June 2011
    BlueMurder -

Since you, like a lot of other people out there are, use the Create A Pattern tool, could I ask WHAT OPERATING SYSTEM do you have? I have downloaded the program MANY times on my laptop but since I have Windows Vista the program dowsn't work. And I would like to start creating my own stuff.

Any thoughts on this?
    Origin ID -- MsPrissySim

My Twitch Channel

YouTube
  • Cobra21ismCobra21ism Posts: 5
    edited July 2011
    Thanks! I made a pattern and i was wondering how you install it. I think I might have sent my pattern to the exchange 5 times :oops:
  • Madaline_7Madaline_7 Posts: 4
    edited September 2011
    I was having the same problem, once I opened create a style I still couldn't find it, but I figured it out. I should mention that I have ONLY tried this in build mode, but I would image it would be the same way for other objects.

Paint the wall
    PainttheWall.png

Choose Create a Style (shortcut R) and you will see the paint palate with the arrow.
    Click on the wall that you just painted.

Then you get this menu.
    CreateaStyle.png

Find what you saved your pattern as from the drop down menu. (I saved mine as paint)

Then paint the wall again
    PaintedwithmyPattern.png

I hope that helps!
  • THolcomb05THolcomb05 Posts: 4 New Member
    edited January 2012
    Thank you so much, this was very helpful! I have Win 7, and I just followed your tutorial until "show file". I then opened in a new window "documents > electronic arts > the Sims 3". Then I just drug my pattern from exports and dropped it onto downloads. Now I am so excited to start sharing!
  • theanaatheanaa Posts: 5
    edited February 2012
    Humm... I just created some patterns and saved them and exported them, but they aren't appearing on my launcher...

Any ideas why?

• twilightfan1998twilightfan1998 Posts: 1
    edited February 2012
    I need help my create a pattern tool doesnt fit the whole screen so I can't get the export button
    Can anyone help me please

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top