Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Generations is (NOT) Extremely Disappointing!

Comments

• BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    edited April 2011
    sam123 wrote:
    Generations is clearly the most lacking expansion to date. When I saw that there was no new neighborhood included, it was the icing on the cake of a terrible expansion. I feel that paying $40 for a handful of new objects and interactions is insane. This expansion seems like it should be worth around $10-15 compared to other expansions. World Adventures included 3 new worlds, Ambitions had tons of activities, skills and a new town, and Late Night of course had plenty of content.

What does this expansion have? Every single preview of Generations is exactly the same. Babies and toddlers get strollers (whoop-dee-doo), children get to play dress up, teens get to pull a few pranks (THAT is going to get old quickly), and adults get to have disgustingly hairy bodies and go through midlife crises. How is this possibly enough content for an entire expansion?

I completely agree with the overall idea: adding content to Sim's bland lives. However, the way EA executed the expansion is extremely disappointing. What do you all think? Please be respectful!!! If you disagree, just explain why! Thanks!!!
    :wink:

I agree completely, they are adding all new content that SHOULD have been in the base game! You also forgot to add that they stopped making game manuals so there won't even be a manual for GEN, It'll be online! So basically they have taken away a town and a manual and were still paying the same price. The only question on my mind is what will they remove next, the packaging? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL, no... but don't be too surprised if they remove the CD and replace it with a code.
    Barisaxy, why do you feel like you are the only one who's right, and you have to prove everyone wrong?

Can't you just accept everyone else's opinions? >.>

If you don't feel like it's worth it then whatever. That doesn't mean other people aren't going to buy it.

Where have I told anybody that they can't buy this EP?

I have purposefully avoided topics that are excited about Generations, because they are allowed to have their opinions. All I'm doing is here is also allowing the complainers to have their opinions. In ALL complainer topics around here there are countless rude members saying otherwise and I'm just sick of it.

I wouldn't really argue if they would just be quiet and leave the people who aren't happy with this EP alone. Sure not all of the complainers make their topics the best they could be, but there are just sooo many uncalled for comments.
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • PinkLoveJonasPinkLoveJonas Posts: 442 Member
    edited April 2011
    Generations is clearly the most lacking expansion to date. When I saw that there was no new neighborhood included, it was the icing on the cake of a terrible expansion. I feel that paying $40 for a handful of new objects and interactions is insane. This expansion seems like it should be worth around $10-15 compared to other expansions. World Adventures included 3 new worlds, Ambitions had tons of activities, skills and a new town, and Late Night of course had plenty of content.

What does this expansion have? Every single preview of Generations is exactly the same. Babies and toddlers get strollers (whoop-dee-doo), children get to play dress up, teens get to pull a few pranks (THAT is going to get old quickly), and adults get to have disgustingly hairy bodies and go through midlife crises. How is this possibly enough content for an entire expansion?

I completely agree with the overall idea: adding content to Sim's bland lives. However, the way EA executed the expansion is extremely disappointing. What do you all think? Please be respectful!!! If you disagree, just explain why! Thanks!!!

I think Generations looks good, and I have pre-ordered it. The fact that there is no new world may be disappointing, but it's not the end of the world. I've seen some very nice custom made worlds by other players.
    Before you decide whether or not it's disappointing may I suggest you wait until after it's released and get a variety of opinions from other players?! That's what I did with World Adventures. I waited months until I bought it. I will admit it wasn't the best, but I don't think it's terrible. I send my sims there for a change of scenery.
    So, with that being said I would just wait before jumping to conclusions.
    I agree. :(

They have to add more than just pranks and parties (which we can ALREADY HAVE IN-GAME). It seems like the main features of expansions are so exciting, and the main features of Generations are:

Pulling Pranks! (That doesn't capture the "rebelliousness and angst of teen years". Teens don't pull pranks...they do drugs and have sex. Obviously this should not be allowed in Sims but it seems very silly, boring and childish.
    New Objects! (Spiral stairs and lava lamps are cool, but don't affect gameplay at all)
    New Parties! (We already can have parties...and Sims just walk in and stand around blinking at each other)

Not to sound rude, but I never did any of those things when I was a teen. I'm 20. Also, I bet there are teens out there that pull pranks. Everyone is different. Just because everyone is doing something doesn't mean EVERYONE is doing something. Sorry, the fact you made it sound like all teens did those things kind of bothered me.
    People asked for more stuff for teens and children to do, and that's what they gave us.

Personally, I would be happy EA is even still making games for us considering how some of us (and I mean everyone) arn't happy with one thing or the next.

I may have just started posting on the forums, but I've been viewing them for awhile and it's either OH, I WANT PETS OR OH I WANT WEATHER, or they're just not happy in general. Just be grateful for the game.

I'm not trying to sound rude or offend anyone. I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion! :)
    OriginID: prettypinkpixels

• UserSam7823UserSam7823 Posts: 404 New Member
    edited April 2011
    I was cool with it until I read this in the new IGN article:
    "It's interesting to see how The Sims has evolved in perception since the original game came out, even if the fundamental concept of the game has remained consistent. The original players of the original game definitely were about playing God, but the current Sims community is more like a bunch of filmmakers who are setting up these elaborate sets so they can make their movies, something EA has encouraged with the editing tools that are built right into the official Sims 3 site."
    It really feels like they're just throwing all of the long-time simmers under the bus. The sims isn't a movie making game!!! In the Sims 2, movie makers were the MINORITY, stories were what most people did. Not to say I don't enjoy them, but with the Sims 3 they gave us a cumbersome and difficult story-making tool and put all of their energy into less used movie-making features.
    Now, they're basically saying forget the people who play sims for, well, i don't know, the actual GAME, let's force more machinima down their throats.

DISCLAIMER: I love sims movies (and stories), and i greatly admire the talent of all of the creators in our community. I just feel like all of the actual original players who play to control their own little worlds are being kicked to the curb.

They say that the Sims community is changing, but I feel like it's more as if they're forcing us to change.
    Sorry, that's something that's been bothering me for a long time and I needed to get it out. Feel free to ignore my little rant if you want. :oops:

PS i also think that most of this expansion could have been a stuff pack and series of small updates. i will, however, buy it because I think they are nice features, however lacking they might be.
  • Mikey5rMikey5r Posts: 113 New Member
    edited April 2011
    I think that this ep is going to add the things we should of had in the base game and i'm glad we are getting them. I love the memory system (even though in doesn't add game play) i like to see what other sims, that you add into the family have done. The new interactions will be nice. Child sims can actually do stuff (play dress-up have tree house's go to the park ect..) I like the idea of imaginary friends a great idea that i think is orginal.
    And all the new objects will be great. :mrgreen:

As for the price $50 to $40? :?: They are usually $29.99. So you are paying way to much.
    edited April 2011
    Mikey5r wrote:
    I think that this ep is going to add the things we should of had in the base game and i'm glad we are getting them. I love the memory system (even though in doesn't add game play) i like to see what other sims, that you add into the family have done. The new interactions will be nice. Child sims can actually do stuff (play dress-up have tree house's go to the park ect..) I like the idea of imaginary friends a great idea that i think is orginal.
    And all the new objects will be great. :mrgreen:

As for the price $50 to $40? :?: They are usually $29.99. So you are paying way to much.

You only pay $29.99?! I think they cost a bit more than that here.
    I always read memories in the TS2 when my sims were sleeping or busy at work and school.

I agree, the imaginary friend thing is very creative!

• miloandotismiloandotis Posts: 5,475 New Member
    edited April 2011
    barisaxy wrote:

Where have I told anybody that they can't buy this EP?

You didn't and I never actually said you did..

barisaxy wrote:
    I wouldn't really argue if they would just be quiet and leave the people who aren't happy with this EP alone. Sure not all of the complainers make their topics the best they could be, but there are just sooo many uncalled for comments.

This is slightly hypocritical. The OP said in the post "if you disagree, just explain why!" So we did just that.

• Mikey5rMikey5r Posts: 113 New Member
    edited April 2011
    ok maybe $39.99 or less. never $40 or $50
    I would look at memories when my sims were sleeping too haha. :mrgreen: It looks good can't wait!
    edited April 2011
    Mikey5r wrote:
    I would look at memories when my sims were sleeping too haha. :mrgreen: It looks good can't wait!

Definitely not $50! That would just be ridiculous! Me either!
    I'm actually just excited for that week in general! Lol.

• dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    edited April 2011
    Mikey5r wrote:

40 dollars is pretty much the same as 39.99.

Ours go for about 40 dollars here. It depends where you live...some areas it might be perfectly normal to pay 50. Sucks to be them but yeah.
  • AussieAdoresSimsAussieAdoresSims Posts: 554 Member
    edited April 2011
    Sick and tired, the people who are liking this game are sick and tired of everyone saying: No new town, this sucks, thing in gen should be in the base pack, etc. We are sick and tired of it, and there are 10 million topics, obviously people can't see other ones to comment on, which means they have not searched the forum. If you don't like the game/idea of game, you aren't obviously going to buy it, so why bother posting? So yeah i can see your sick and tired of it, but think about the other 3/4 of people who like this game and who are sick and tired of the others whinging about something so small in no new town, make your own in create a world.
  • SimmySimianSimmySimian Posts: 357 Member
    edited April 2011
    :roll:

"Have you heard the new Depeche Mode album? I don't know if there is one, but it sux."

at least wait until it comes out to review it.

I apologize for getting snippy earlier. My eye-rolling was directed at the statement "Generations IS extremely disappointing", because how could one know that without playing it?

But then I started thinking about that hilarious "Doors Fan" sketch from Kids in the Hall...
  • Citrina5Citrina5 Posts: 1,252 New Member
    edited April 2011

I completely disagree because; I think generations is bets yet. It includes loads of content and interactions, and expands the game completely. So what if they didn't add a new town? They are expanding SV. Finally we are going to have, bunk beds, strollers, spiral stairs, and loads of more. It really sounds that finally the sims can do so much in their lives, then sleep, eat, go to work, eat and sleep again.
  • ConorsimConorsim Posts: 5,890 Member
    edited April 2011
    Sure sure... it might be like all the things you've described, OP, BUT DO YOU HAVE THE GAME?

I'm guessing no. You can't judge it until you play it. We're only seeing its shell... perhaps inside is something much better (and gooier)?
  • yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    edited April 2011
    I find it extremely disappointing that we are not getting a new neighbourhood with this ep. :( My guess is they want us to buy new neighbourhoods from the store from now on. This is such a pity for players because I know it is going to be expensive just like Barnacle Bay. :cry::cry:
  • JohanFoppaJohanFoppa Posts: 1,084 New Member
    edited April 2011
    yanti68 wrote:
    I find it extremely disappointing that we are not getting a new neighbourhood with this ep. :( My guess is they want us to buy new neighbourhoods from the store from now on. This is such a pity for players because I know it is going to be expensive just like Barnacle Bay. :cry::cry:
    Then I will just download a town from somewhere, I am NOT going to buy ANYTHING on that store
  • okaydokeyokaydokey Posts: 2,164
    edited April 2011
    personally I think genarations is going to be great because it changes how sims live in every aspect of their lives not just adults also it remembers kids and toddlers who have been forgoten about in other EPs :P
  • ThetfordThetford Posts: 2,114 New Member
    edited April 2011
    People are so pleasant on this forum!
  • BafendoBafendo Posts: 2,127 Member
    edited April 2011
    inhale... exhale... inhale... exhale... less than 30 minutes left. inhale... exhale...
  • thesimdeej33thesimdeej33 Posts: 986 Member
    edited April 2011
    I feel Generations has an empty feel! Im sure hope that there will be a cool groundshaking feature that would compel me to buy this. Every thing at the moment feels like small life fillers. Nothing grabs me about this!
  • Michellec1980Michellec1980 Posts: 380
    edited April 2011
    No way is this expansion pack Disappointing. you can now choose how long you want your sims to be in that life stage

Baby: 1 to 65 days
    Toddler: 1 to 150 days
    Child: 1 to 150 days
    Teen: 1 to 300 days
    Young Adult: 1 to 450 days
    Adult: 1 to 450 days
    Elder: 1 to 365 days
  • KiaraSims4ModsKiaraSims4Mods Posts: 2,782 Member
    edited April 2011
    I really think they need to put some weather into this. They seem to have dodged the questions about it. All this should have been put in the base game and no new town? I will buy it and I really am excited for memories, gift giving but man oh man I hope somehow weather is a surprise.
  • KingOfDaSimsKingOfDaSims Posts: 73 New Member
    edited April 2011
    If you don't like it, don't buy it. No need to be all anti Sims 3 when some people are looking forward to this.
  • chitbillchitbill Posts: 2,017 New Member
    edited April 2011
    Bafendo wrote:
    inhale... exhale... inhale... exhale... less than 30 minutes left. inhale... exhale...8 or 9 hours from now, a lot of questions shall be answered. When it comes to all the fighting, everyone needs to calm down before the SimBot Ninjas use this as an opportunity to invade the real world and capture all of us Simmers so we don't pose a threat to them! OMG SimBot Ninjas! 01101011 01110101 01101110 01100111 00100000 01100110 01110101!
    30 minutes for what?
    A friend is on a World AdVenture, and they should be arriving just about now. I need to make a rant someday about yous-all saying how you hated loading screens in sims 2. Considering I have to save every couple minutes, and get enormous loading screens travelling anywhere, nothing has changed much.
    But an EP usually gives you something to DO. so the baby will need a walk in their stroller, the dad will get this sudden desire to take videos, a kid will get bored and want to use the treehouse.
    Other than that, I can see the mass appeal for the exacting-perfectionist dollhouse types, but I'll buy it for the new stuff to DO. (I hope).
    nungbfu
    DK?CBK
    I'm lost.
    Cryptic messages.
    I'm surprised as all get-out any of you (any of you) would take liking or disliking a game personally. I think the OP hoped for reasons to buy. I would, I'd be all like, "yeah, but is it fun?" and hope to get lots of opinions. I figure, "yeah", because it will have more actions, if you already love the original game and premise.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • CocobeanzCocobeanz Posts: 189
    edited April 2011
    Oh, is it? Have you playes it? :roll:
  • SianystarSianystar Posts: 1,515 New Member
    edited April 2011
    I really think they need to put some weather into this. They seem to have dodged the questions about it. All this should have been put in the base game and no new town? I will buy it and I really am excited for memories, gift giving but man oh man I hope somehow weather is a surprise.

If everything people think *should* have been put in the base game had been, we would still be waiting for the base game now!

Weather isn't going to be a surprise. It's too big a feature for them to keep hidden, someone would leak it. Besides, you don't advertise a product by keeping it's arguably best feature a secret!