Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Travelling makes all of my sims vanish without a trace... please help?

I've had this save file for several weeks now and in the beginning I travelled to China and everything was normal. Then, a generation later, I tried to get my sims to go to Egypt but when they got there, my sims vanished. There were no icons on the side and I was not controlling anything. The clock was still moving and NPCs were walking around -- I could even look at the map. I thought maybe if I saved it and loaded it back up that things would fix itself. I saved and returned to the menu, but my family portrait was gone and in its place was the blank outlines of sims. Freaking out a little, I loaded it up anyway and when it loaded it took me to Egypt and told me to choose a household or create a sim and move it into the town -- basically, it was making me start over with Egypt as my hometown.

I ended up choosing a household in Egypt and the girl I picked had the option to
'return home' on her cell phone, so she did and it took me back to my original household except she was now a new member of it.

PLEASE help, this same problem happens when I visit France and when I try to go to China the loading bar just freezes an inch away from the edge. I have World Adventures, Ambitions, as well as Late Night and they are all up to date. I would like to be able to visitother countries, but this is preventing me from doing so.

Comments

• Options
    XieWujiXieWuji Posts: 80
    edited January 2011
    Sorry I can't help you. Look at this thread
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/135388.page
    This problem has been around for over a year. EA hasn't solved it, and it looks like they never will.

Best short term solution, try starting a new save file, export your families there if you want to. That worked for me.

Best long term solution, tell all your friends to never buy EA products ever again.
  • Options
    tori104tori104 Posts: 7,561 Member
    edited January 2011
    Also try clearing out your cache files. It helps sometimes with this issue.
  • Options
    KatAnubisKatAnubis Posts: 3,241 Member
    edited January 2011
    Whatever you do, do not save while it's in that condition or you may lose your Sims. (Saving twice so that even your backup save file is gone is especially bad.)

This seems to be a common problem, especially with Sims who have a lot of history (multi-generational.)
  • Options
    Bunchu8Bunchu8 Posts: 79 Member
    edited January 2011
    It's a problem from WA that EA just chose to ignore instead of fixing it... The only advice I can give you is to make sure that before you start sending any of you Sims on vacation to any destination you have to save your game and if your Sims have magicly dissapeeard on arrival just quit the game and retry... It's the only solution I was able to find... But for me there is a family i can't send to China since they always dissapear....

This makes me think the family I have most of this problem with actually own a house in China. i don't have any other familys that have one... Could this be related??? I never read about ths anywhere esle maybe that is a part of the problem???
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Bunchu8 wrote:
    It's a problem from WA that EA just chose to ignore instead of fixing it... The only advice I can give you is to make sure that before you start sending any of you Sims on vacation to any destination you have to save your game and if your Sims have magicly dissapeeard on arrival just quit the game and retry... It's the only solution I was able to find... But for me there is a family i can't send to China since they always dissapear....

This makes me think the family I have most of this problem with actually own a house in China. i don't have any other familys that have one... Could this be related??? I never read about ths anywhere esle maybe that is a part of the problem???

It's not related to owning a home. The vast majority of people who have this happen, have it happen on their first time going to that destination (although the family they send tend to be multi-generational.)
  • Options
    CaptainYodelsCaptainYodels Posts: 14 New Member
    edited January 2011
    Wow. And EA simply refuses to even respond to any of these complaints? That seems like a great business strategy—ignoring your customers!

I have the same problem. My solution is just to avoid traveling, but I occasionally try it every now and then with high hopes. Never works, of course. It would be comforting to know that EA at least acknowledges this problem and is trying to fix it...

I'm assuming once we own the game, it's our own problem if it doesn't work at all. Nice going, EA. I'm really tempted to buy one of your products again.

:hunf:
  • Options
    sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    edited January 2011
    Its happened to me the first time in France, just wanted to let you know your not alone..
    This shocked me even more to know this has been a problem for over a year!
    EA whats wrong?? Can you try fixing this issue atleast or make us know that you know about this issue, this is really disgusting it really is..
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Wow. And EA simply refuses to even respond to any of these complaints? That seems like a great business strategy—ignoring your customers!

I have the same problem. My solution is just to avoid traveling, but I occasionally try it every now and then with high hopes. Never works, of course. It would be comforting to know that EA at least acknowledges this problem and is trying to fix it...

I'm assuming once we own the game, it's our own problem if it doesn't work at all. Nice going, EA. I'm really tempted to buy one of your products again.

:hunf:

Although it seems to be a common pattern with the people on the forum, one cannot assume that EA "refuses to even respond" when it may be that there is nothing they can do about it at this point. In order to fix a problem such as this, they have to be able to reliably recreate it. Unfortunately, it isn't easy to trace how it happens. So, they have nothing that they can say to us.