Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Compressing!

How, do i compress files. Every time i do, it still tells me the maximum i can send?
and when i read about it, it said to add .zip as a file extension... what does that mean!?

Comments

• Options
    blueflame17528blueflame17528 Posts: 1,937 Member
    edited January 2011
    Are you talking about a sims file or just a normal file for another site?
  • Options
    Sims3fan456Sims3fan456 Posts: 253 Member
    edited January 2011
    Are you talking about a sims file or just a normal file for another site?
    I want to email my sims3.packs files.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Edit: Don't let this thread die! /:
  • Options
    blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
    edited January 2011
    How many are you trying to send and what compression program are you using?
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Im trying to send my sims3.packs from a sim.
    umm you have to use a program? lol what do you recommend i should use?
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    winRAR, winZip, 7Zip are all compression software. That's the same software used to compress custom content files like (.packages) or (.sim3pack) files from 3PCC sites. I prefer winRAR.

If you have that software installed, then you can use it to do the opposite. Instead of extracting you're compressing the file. Here's an example of my Navek kids I just through into a folder on my desktop.

All three kids compressed into one file.
    If you have more than one file, highlight them all then right-click and either do the same as below (however it will give it the same name as the folder). Or choose archive and you'll get a pop-up box with the same name as the folder which you can change to whatever you want. Then press OK and the software will compress all three files into one. In my example I chose .rar but I could have changed to .zip
    16ghcnc.jpg
    2zp4ggm.jpg
    2q2o480.jpg

One kid compressed.
    If you have only one file, right-click and choose to have it compress under the same name as the file name.
    v8hgrp.jpg
    2l9135s.jpg

Edit: Okay fixed.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    FYI - You will probably want to change yours to a (.zip) instead of a (.rar) file as those are more common. After you get it compressed, Open your email and send the (.zip) as an attachment. The person you're sending the file to would need to have some type of compression/decompression software (stated above) to extract the files once they receive it. :wink:

Edit: Also they will need to install via the launcher just like any other (.sims3pack) file.

• Options
    edited January 2011
    Now, I know, but im emailing them because i want to change the photo in and upload her to the exchange.... i saw a post that you could email them.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Now, I know, but im emailing them because i want to change the photo in and upload her to the exchange.... i saw a post that you could email them.
    Now I'm confused. Did this work for you or not?