Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Interaction/Gameplay Stuff Packs

I was thinking about how glorious it would be if the rabbit holes were...gone! And your sims could actually explore.

I found that one key ingredient in the Sims 1 & 2 that is kind of lacking in The Sims 3 is how you got to experience everything. I think that's what makes the Sims so much fun! Who wants rabbit holes?! No one. I hate them. With a passion.

Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAJIXyZiPX0&feature=related

NIGHTLIFE...Remember when that was new? Brings back memories. :P

I think it would be neat if they had an interaction/gameplay stuff pack that was just new interactions and gameplay. Yeah yeah yeah, we'll be paying out the **** if it were 20 bucks so having an EP plus a stuff pack PLUS an interaction/gameplay stuff pack would make it incredibly pricey. But I haven't figured a way around that unless they made stuff packs to have interactions and gameplay as well as a bit less objects.

Is this a good idea? Is it bad? The way I see it, they'd have more abilities to open the world up more. EP's usually concentrate on ONE specific theme. At least this way, they'd have more flexibility. I don't know lol, I miss going places with my sims and actually experiencing it with other sims... :( Am I being crazy?
Origin ID: Derpiez

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    edited December 2010
    I dunno. EPs already seem like stuff packs + added interactions/gameplay to me.
  • LagazLagaz Posts: 96
    edited December 2010
    I would prefer if they added more to expansion packs, as they've been pretty barren so far. I don't mind the work rabbit holes so much(although I prefer jobs like Medical and Politics because they have events outside of work), but I do agree that community or at least shopping lots should be open. I think they went in the right direction with places like consignment shops and bars.
  • Jaghar7Jaghar7 Posts: 3,314 New Member
    edited December 2010
    Gameplay belongs in expansions.. not add ons. Enough said.
  • TiumiTiumi Posts: 545 New Member
    edited December 2010
    Jaghar7 wrote:
    Gameplay belongs in expansions.. not add ons. Enough said.

Agreed. :-)
  • LukeLuke Posts: 642 Member
    edited December 2010
    Okay! Well they have a new poll which seems to hint that their SP's will open up rabbit holes, which to me, is all I really wanted. :P
  • DarkAmaranth1966DarkAmaranth1966 Posts: 13,416 Member
    edited December 2010
    The poll is what new rabbit holes we want. Yep more of the things we don't like anyway - ugh!
    Life is what you make it so, make it good.
    edited December 2010
    Oh crap so they're just ADDING rabbit holes? T^T ugh...UGHHHHHHHHHHH.
  • ThetfordThetford Posts: 2,114 New Member
    edited December 2010
    Rabbit holes are primarily workplaces, and I can see why they made them like that for logistical reasons (limited space, duties, objects, size, there isn't an NPC on every job level etc), so don't get your hopes up for the rabbit holes opening up in this cycle. However, nothing stops them making NPC staffed restaurants (open stores already exist with WA), just don't expect to roam around City Hall or the Hospital.
  • MissBitsy11MissBitsy11 Posts: 2,994
    edited December 2010
    All of you have good points, but I must say:
    I am REALLY fed up with rabbitholes. I remember when in sims 2 we SAW the waitors. We could CHOOSE what they ate. We could lookat shelves and buy things, not just little bar thingies. And I really miss the at the-table -at-the-resturant hand holding interation. it was cute!
    But my main whine?
    (dont read this if you dont like whining)
    LACK OF HUMOR
    Sims are dull, boring creatures in sims 3. They go around doing chores, and sure they make funny faces, and some interactions are funny, but they just lack the sims style! Remember the uni bubble bar? Remember how they floated? I was all excited to see that again in sims 3, but oh i was disappointed...
    THEY CUT IT OUT.
    Sims just sit there blowing bubble in LN. What happened? In sims under new producers? They need to have a meeting with player critics!
    edited December 2010
    I hate to say it but the whole 'humor' issue is mainly preference. Personally I hated the TS2 bubble blower. Every time I wanted a sim for something they weren't where I left them. They kept going to that dang bubble blower! I didn't care for the floating either.

I think mainly what you're probably hitting on isn't the humor so much as the sims lack the personality they once had. Traits is an interesting idea but the sims themselves seems to have a more or less monotone personality. It's like half of their soul has been ripped out. Sure they have SOME personally. My sim-self absolutely refuses to skinny dip despite how hot the simbabe is asking him to join her. *sigh* But just in the day to day routine it's hard to tell them apart. So in the end they're less entertaining to simply watch and see what they do on their own.
    edited December 2010
    Missy, I like some of your points, but it's a bit exaggerated for me, personally. :P Yeah I know, the 'humour' is kind of lacking, but I realize that there are new people working on the game so it's going to feel different...and can I take a moment to say that Grant Rodiek is probably the hottest guy on their team. :P

I agree with the personality lacking...you know, it seems kind of weird. Like all the smiles and expressions are there like from Sims 2, but they just seem so generic and lifeless (like you said). I hate that they feel like they don't have a soul. They really don't, but in the Sims 2 they felt like they had life. But on the flipside, I notice that a lot of the Sims expressions (now) are much more subtle. It's not as 'in your face' which might make me have the weird perception (of them being lifeless) because when I think about it, the Sims are much more realistic and 'proper'. In The Sims 2 they were kind of goofy and quirky (which I loved), and I loved the over-dramatization. I think that the game is more 'mature' and less silly/goofy than it once was.

Anyways, to get back on point, I am with Missy when I say I hate the rabbit holes. I know, in the Sims 2 your kid going to school, parents going to work, etc etc...it was all just rabbit holes, but when we went out in town, to a diner or something, we could actually sit down and order our food and stuff. I know, it's kind of stupid, but I really miss it!

I also got a cool idea...instead of opening the rabbit holes completely, why don't they just make it like...an apartment building? You know how a lot of it is blacked out, but there is an area for taking the elevator/getting into your room? Well what if they opened up rabbit holes like that? They don't need to do ALL of it at once, I'm not expecting them too, but for like the police station, what if they opened it up and had police officers walk around the area every now and then (Like how tenants in your condo walk around every now and then) through doors? And maybe an area with jail cells? For the hospital, just have an area for patients to go to? This time, create an NPC doctor (like a maid or butler) that comes check on you if you're sick or going into labor (he could close the curtains so you can't see). And for the townhall, just have a meeting room. Create an object for government officials (ONLY) to give speeches? When I think of the programming for it, they could use the same programming for things they already have.

Like you know how everyone gathers for a wedding? Do that for the town hall, except change the actions to everyone sitting and have only one person talking. You could also use the programming for papparazi's to take pictures of the guy talking. For the police officers/(nurses/doctors), like I said, have it so it's like tenants in an apartment. Just have them walk around every now and again. For the most part, they'd be creating one NPC for each place. The NPC's don't have to be extremely interactive either. You know how in Sims 2 you had delivery men and stuff? Well have it like that. :P You don't need the interaction to be in depth and stuff. I'd just like to have them THERE. So we can use them/watch them so we can feel more 'in the world'.

One thing I do give great credit to the team, though, is the building options. They're phenomenal and make the game really fun to play (in terms of building and creating).

What do you think? Are any of these (un)reasonable?
    edited December 2010
    hmm ok the psuedo rabbit hole is interesting but not enough bang for your buck. All it really does is add a little extra ambience and unless you add more to it there only thing is sounds like there is to do is walk in and look around. Which most players will only do every now and then. Too much work for too little reward as is. Now if there were actually something to do that was fun and interesting in each place you might be on to something.
  • The_Purple_PlumbobThe_Purple_Plumbob Posts: 11,250 New Member
    edited December 2010
    All of you have good points, but I must say:
    I am REALLY fed up with rabbitholes. I remember when in sims 2 we SAW the waitors. We could CHOOSE what they ate. We could lookat shelves and buy things, not just little bar thingies. And I really miss the at the-table -at-the-resturant hand holding interation. it was cute!

Those features were added in EPs for TS2 so EA may have that feature in their minds for a future EP for TS3, you never know.
  • The_Purple_PlumbobThe_Purple_Plumbob Posts: 11,250 New Member
    edited December 2010
    Some rabbit holes like the job related rabbit holes I actually like, It is hard to control a family when you have to control them at work.
    edited December 2010
    Some rabbit holes like the job related rabbit holes I actually like, It is hard to control a family when you have to control them at work.

I just want to see my sim on a date in the bistro or having dinner or something so I can interact. :)!
  • wood2569wood2569 Posts: 28
    edited December 2010
    some rabbit holes should be opened. like resturants. but on the otherhand work places should be rabbit holes. ther'd be alot going on if work was in with the seemless. alot of ppl standing around is what it would be. writing the code for all their jobs would be a nightmare.
    but yea resturants should be open. they would have to do anything for it. sims already eat and drink. theyd just be doing it somewhere else.