Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I need some advice. ppl just don't understand.

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    BUFFYWILLOW85BUFFYWILLOW85 Posts: 204 New Member
    edited November 2010
    You guys have brightened my day so much you couldn't even imagine. I woke up this morning with a feeling of utter loneliness and feeling as if there might be something wrong with me. But you all have made me see that there isn't a darn thing wrong with me, just that there is something wrong with how the think friends are supposed to be. Now I can go through my day with a smile knowing that even when the world wants to throw stones, I have somewhere to go where people care about one another and support one another instead of tearing them down. thank you thank you than you :D
  • Options
    team_cocoteam_coco Posts: 1,160 New Member
    edited November 2010
    Ur welcome Willow *hugs* everything will be okay and we are all here for you when you need some one to talk to!!! :)
  • Options
    Saide7Saide7 Posts: 1,070 Member
    edited November 2010
    You see? YOU SEE!

THIS is where you need to come to let your Sim-Self fly Free!

I love you all, and every hug and happy thought from each and every one of you I accept literally. It makes me smile soooo big, and gives me another great, happy Sim Day!
  • Options
    BUFFYWILLOW85BUFFYWILLOW85 Posts: 204 New Member
    edited November 2010
    team_coco wrote:
    Ur welcome Willow *hugs* everything will be okay and we are all here for you when you need some one to talk to!!! :)

You all so very wonderful. I hope that every one of you has an amazing weekend. I gotta go. Busy day today, but now I can smile while I complete it!! "BIG HUG" to everyone!!!
  • Options
    tori104tori104 Posts: 7,561 Member
    edited November 2010
    You guys have brightened my day so much you couldn't even imagine. I woke up this morning with a feeling of utter loneliness and feeling as if there might be something wrong with me. But you all have made me see that there isn't a darn thing wrong with me, just that there is something wrong with how the think friends are supposed to be. Now I can go through my day with a smile knowing that even when the world wants to throw stones, I have somewhere to go where people care about one another and support one another instead of tearing them down. thank you thank you than you :D
    you're very welcome. We are here as a community anytime there is a simmer in need of a shoulder to lean on. I'm glad you're feeling much better. And when those friends come around just remember that you are strong and supported and they are T.V zombies. ♥
  • Options
    Bel008Bel008 Posts: 2,370 Member
    edited November 2010
    I have had a problem with a friend being mean about my love of the Sims. Thats why I like coming on the forum because in general everyone is so nice and understands when you are excited about something that happened in your game or a new EP.
  • Options
    ANNAPTXANNAPTX Posts: 3,742 Member
    edited November 2010
    I Love this thread! This is precisely why I love coming on the forums...so many kind, thoughtful, caring people...when I have a crummy day, and need cheering up, I know this is a great place to go!! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    YahtzamiYahtzami Posts: 6,301 Member
    edited November 2010
    Yay! Another Simmer Saved! LOL Seriously, I am glad we could help. Remember...others can do and say what they want, if you are able to sleep at night and wake up to your own reflection in the mirror...then you have already won the battle. It has been my experience that people who hurt and belittle others do so because they are missing something in their lives. They don't know how to lift themselves up, so they just bring others down. You keep doing what you are doing and you can always come here to enthuse about what is happening in your game or just to discuss your fav hobby in general. We are always here!
  • Options
    pink_polkadotspink_polkadots Posts: 1,255 New Member
    edited November 2010
    you know what. dont even stress it. if they're calling you that then they are obviously not your true friends. look, i am 23 years old, married, full time pre school teacher and a college student. While I don't have children yet, I can relate to being an older simmer with other things going on in my life. You said it well in your blog, it's no different then any other hobby an adult may have whether it's tv, reading, cooking, etc. I think for some reason some adults have a stigma against video games, viewing them as immature and childish, therefore making their perception of an adult who plays video games quite the same. but honestly, who cares? my family will tease me from time to time, but they know i enjoy it. It helps that my husband enjoys games as well, on his xbox and ps3 and such, so it's like we share a common ground. It doesn't matter what everyone else thinks because it's something we both enjoy and can do together. Bottom line... do what you love and love what you do.
  • Options
    TiumiTiumi Posts: 545 New Member
    edited November 2010
    Hi BUFFYWILLOW. Your post spoke to me so I stopped by.

The key thing to remember with humans is that when they're putting another down, they're down, and not to take these things too personally. Nothing in your blog shouts ABUSE to me, however, it does tell me that you're being real and that you live in the real world. Despite what that television set in the corner spews out at mothers all day.

I'm betting it's not even about you simming at all. It's probably just an extra thing to get you with to disguise an underlining issue. Which is their problem, not yours.

If you can distance yourself from these particular "friends" please do it sooner rather than later, when they've finally drained you dry, dig by dig. :-)
  • Options
    TurbineTurbine Posts: 304
    edited November 2010
    Yahtzami wrote:
    I'll tell you how to deal with it...you tell them to kiss your big ol' simmin' BUTT! Seriously...it sounds to me like you have a very full, very active and fulfilling life. You do more in a day than I do...well...EVER! You are a wife, a mother (of 3 active boys I might add), a student, a business woman...sounds to me like you are taking life by the horns and grabbing everything you want from it. If you can juggle all of those things and still have the energy to stay up past the kiddies bedtime and Sim...my hat's off to ya darlin!

Maybe your so called friends are jealous. As I said before, you sound like you are getting what you want from life. Are they or are they stuck in jobs they hate, kids that don't listen, men that don't care...see what I mean? Who are they to judge you. I wouldn't give them any more of my time worrying about them. You don't sound like you have much time to spare! You are 100% right. After the kids go to bed, that is YOUR time. If you studies are done, your work is done, then that is your time to do exactly what you want. In fact, having a hobby that is just for you is probably one of the reasons you can balance so much. I have a friend that I am always encouraging to recharge by doing something for herself. She gets burned out and frustrated with her life on a weekly basis. You on the other hand have found the secret. You give yourself the gift of "you-time" and as a result, you have more to give to those around you.

I would also ditch those so called friends that hurt you. If they would call you names, try to run you down, accuse you of being a bad mother...are they really worth your precious time and energy anyway? I think no. Friends are supposed to SUPPORT you...not tear you down. They don't sound like friends to me.

Yep! I'm a 41, almost 42 yom that spent 11 years in the army. If you knoew what I used to do you'd flip. I read your blog. You know right, wrong, left, right, good, evil and all you need. Your the best mom you can be. Kids and family first. Put some armor on when you look in the mirror throughout the day. Words are just that, words. Your're the one that knows and knows the truth so about all I can add next to the prolific wisdom Yhatzami has already shared with you is some latin. hopefully I will remember it correctly. I couldn't and the Latin translator couldn't understand what I was trying to say so here it is in english. "Don't let the ba***rds grind you down". Never quit and, "The only easy day was yesterday".
  • Options
    DestinysCreaturesDestinysCreatures Posts: 1,025 Member
    edited November 2010
    BUFFYWILLOW85 first let me start by saying you have such and AWESOME page :!: As a fan of both Buffy and Angel it is so cool, also I really like your sim.

I am sorry that your friends don't understand then I have to agree with everyone here who plays, enjoys, and least of all don't judge. This is the community where us simmers young, old or anywhere in between are understood because we are ALL obsessed with the Sims. I am married, my husband supports my addiction and I call it that since I found SIMS I have played. To me it is the place I go to unwind and enjoy what goes on in there live...odd huh :shock: I also have a daughter who feeds my need, and who I hooked on the sims :lol:

My friends also didn't get it, they want to spend there money on farmville, that is cool with me to each there own but don't get why I waste my time on my Sims, to them I say you have FV I have the SIMS. You are most certainly NOT a bad mother, let them walk a mile in your shoes before they even go there :!:

If these people where your friends they would understand, that they disrespect you isn't friendship to me, your friends support you and care about you, no matter what. :wink:

You keep playing the Sims, you enjoy all the things you love to do, you remember your a great wife and mother (ask them) above all you are one of US! We care, you matter, we're here, I am adding you, your AWESOME :!:

If they think you are odd just think what they must think about all of us talking about meteor's, explosions, death, the Reaper, and vampire snobs :lol:
  • Options
    team_cocoteam_coco Posts: 1,160 New Member
    edited November 2010
    Turbine wrote:
    Yahtzami wrote:
    I'll tell you how to deal with it...you tell them to kiss your big ol' simmin' BUTT! Seriously...it sounds to me like you have a very full, very active and fulfilling life. You do more in a day than I do...well...EVER! You are a wife, a mother (of 3 active boys I might add), a student, a business woman...sounds to me like you are taking life by the horns and grabbing everything you want from it. If you can juggle all of those things and still have the energy to stay up past the kiddies bedtime and Sim...my hat's off to ya darlin!

Maybe your so called friends are jealous. As I said before, you sound like you are getting what you want from life. Are they or are they stuck in jobs they hate, kids that don't listen, men that don't care...see what I mean? Who are they to judge you. I wouldn't give them any more of my time worrying about them. You don't sound like you have much time to spare! You are 100% right. After the kids go to bed, that is YOUR time. If you studies are done, your work is done, then that is your time to do exactly what you want. In fact, having a hobby that is just for you is probably one of the reasons you can balance so much. I have a friend that I am always encouraging to recharge by doing something for herself. She gets burned out and frustrated with her life on a weekly basis. You on the other hand have found the secret. You give yourself the gift of "you-time" and as a result, you have more to give to those around you.

I would also ditch those so called friends that hurt you. If they would call you names, try to run you down, accuse you of being a bad mother...are they really worth your precious time and energy anyway? I think no. Friends are supposed to SUPPORT you...not tear you down. They don't sound like friends to me.

Yep! I'm a 41, almost 42 yom that spent 11 years in the army. If you knoew what I used to do you'd flip. I read your blog. You know right, wrong, left, right, good, evil and all you need. Your the best mom you can be. Kids and family first. Put some armor on when you look in the mirror throughout the day. Words are just that, words. Your're the one that knows and knows the truth so about all I can add next to the prolific wisdom Yhatzami has already shared with you is some latin. hopefully I will remember it correctly. I couldn't and the Latin translator couldn't understand what I was trying to say so here it is in english. "Don't let the ba***rds grind you down". Never quit and, "The only easy day was yesterday".

Ohh Turbine! I was in the Army too! :-D
  • Options
    OhHeyLuckyOhHeyLucky Posts: 1,338 Member
    edited November 2010
    People insult what they don't understand.

Remember that they are the ones with a problem. It's not your fault that they do these horrible things. They choose to act like that, and it shows they were never friends at all if they can treat you with such contempt.

It's the same way for me. I'm a year older than you, married, but not a mother. I am the only one around here (as far as I know) that enjoys this game. My simming friends are online. I mean, none of my RL friends back home play this game either, but they know that I play games, they understand, and they don't give me flack. A couple are even interested in trying The Sims 3, but it's a matter of their computers and such.

I rely on the internet to talk to ALL of my friends. I'm living on a military base hundreds of miles away from where all my RL friends and my family are.

There are plenty of friends to be made here, and the great thing is, they understand your love of the game.

Don't put another thought on those who treat you like crap, make accusations because they simply don't know anything. They don't matter if they act that way.
  • Options
    originalsimoriginalsim Posts: 1,696 Member
    edited November 2010
    Wow! I did not realize that there were so mamny of us living paralell virtual lives!

Honestly BuffyWillow85 (One of the best series EVER) I'd laugh it off. Not everyone understands the draw that video games have. It's unfortunite for them. The Sims in particular is so creative and busy women like ourselves need an outlet for our own creativity. My friends laugh at me too and I just pitty them. In the mean time, my kids love watching me play and my 6 year old has started making Sims of his own. The 6 year old loves that I will play video games with him and his friends are just amazed by it. (I'm the cool mom! 8) )

I hope this makes sense.. I'm sneaking forum time during my lunch break at work. Please forgive my typos.
  • Options
    Sphire_ZiemiaSphire_Ziemia Posts: 1,148 New Member
    edited November 2010
    I'm sorry that you're experiencing that situation. I do hope that things look up for you soon. :D Real friends don't hurt their friends, especially over something so minor as a computer game.

All too true, couldn't put it better myself. Sounds like they might be a little jealous you founds something that nurtures your creative soul and makes you happy.

I get some odd comments now and then if I bring up Sims with my friends. But I think no matter what others may say or think this has got to be about one of the best games ever. Why? Because this game can be about nurturing, creativity and love. And to play a game like that is I think far more healthier than then so many out there about violence.
  • Options
    cherryberrybloocherryberrybloo Posts: 4,293 New Member
    edited November 2010
    I'm a 24 year old newlywed who has been playing the Sims for 10 years... I'm considered obsessive to some of my friends because I've gotten every expansion and stuff pack I could get my hands on! Husband and I got married on the 20th of October, our presents to each other were Late Night for me and Fable 3 for him, haha! He and I are lucky in that all of our friends are into video games, so we don't normally endure any hardship because of it. Everyone here has pretty much taken the words out of my mouth... There is not a thing wrong with you. The only person you should be worried about having a problem with your simming is your husband. Since we don't have kids yet I have more free time to play, but sometimes I get carried away and that cuts into OUR time. If your hubby isn't complaining, I don't see why anyone else should.

Just remember, you're 25, not 15. Dealing with people who only want to call you names and tear you down is so high school. Just because they don't want to grow up and get a dose of maturity doesn't mean you should take the brunt of ther silliness. You've got a lot on your plate, and you deserve to have a hobby that relaxes you. Maybe someday they'll realize that it is our differences that make us all beautiful and interesting... For now, you just need to focus on you and your wonderful family and give them no more of your thoughts. Life is too short to waste time on people who don't make you happy.
  • Options
    MmdrgntobldrgnMmdrgntobldrgn Posts: 6,680 Member
    edited November 2010
    Hugz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have hot cocoa & fresh strawberries from down the block, help yourself :)
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Exploring life through imagination & satire since 1969.
    Save Game Often
    repair & clear caches Often
    S3 Studio
    S3 blog Story, lists of empty lots by world
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • Options
    OhHeyLuckyOhHeyLucky Posts: 1,338 Member
    edited November 2010
    I'm a 24 year old newlywed who has been playing the Sims for 10 years... I'm considered obsessive to some of my friends because I've gotten every expansion and stuff pack I could get my hands on! Husband and I got married on the 20th of October, our presents to each other were Late Night for me and Fable 3 for him, haha! He and I are lucky in that all of our friends are into video games, so we don't normally endure any hardship because of it. Everyone here has pretty much taken the words out of my mouth... There is not a thing wrong with you. The only person you should be worried about having a problem with your simming is your husband. Since we don't have kids yet I have more free time to play, but sometimes I get carried away and that cuts into OUR time. If your hubby isn't complaining, I don't see why anyone else should.

Just remember, you're 25, not 15. Dealing with people who only want to call you names and tear you down is so high school. Just because they don't want to grow up and get a dose of maturity doesn't mean you should take the brunt of ther silliness. You've got a lot on your plate, and you deserve to have a hobby that relaxes you. Maybe someday they'll realize that it is our differences that make us all beautiful and interesting... For now, you just need to focus on you and your wonderful family and give them no more of your thoughts. Life is too short to waste time on people who don't make you happy.

How's he liking Fable 3? I beat it already, and have a couple tips for him.

Have at least 8 million saved up, and when faced with either keeping a drinking policy or taking the ban off, I'd suggest he keep the policy, even if it's an evil deed. Your decisions are permanent and if you lift the ban, every single villager he sees will be throwing up and wobbling in the streets, and it gets VERY annoying.

Also, if he fails to save all of his kingdom, shopkeepers could get killed, and if they get killed, their shops are closed permanently and he won't be able to buy from them, just steal.

Sorry for the small hijack with Fable 3 tips >.>

Congratulations on your marriage by the way!
  • Options
    littlemissleolittlemissleo Posts: 2,445 Member
    edited November 2010
    You are not the only one. I experience this on a daily basis---- from my sister. Every time i am on the forums, playing sims, or doing something that is related to sims, she always says I am wasting my time, sitting on my butt (she used a different word) doing nothing, wasting my time, and that I should be doing something productive.

The thing is, she doesn't see how much that hurts. I have it really hard sometimes, and have problems dealing with stress and she just doesn't understand how much this helps me relieve stress. Can't she see how happy sims makes me? But no matter how many times I try to tell her that, she doesn't listen.
  • Options
    XhippiedippieXXhippiedippieX Posts: 4,938 Member
    edited November 2010
    Yahtzami wrote:

^^THIS^^ Once again Yahtzie saves me from doing a whole lot of typing! This is
    one of the many reasons that I love you, Yahtzie! :XD:

I am 61 and none of my friends understand my love of gaming, not just sims,
    but any games that I play! But they are never mean about it. Sure they joke
    about it sometimes but never in a mean way! True friends don't treat each
    other like that. You have a right to do whatever you enjoy without being
    hassled by so called friends! :wink::mrgreen:
  • Options
    musicmom11musicmom11 Posts: 1,698 New Member
    edited November 2010
    I am 40+ in years and it was my oldest that got me into Sims about 10 years or so ago. I have other games I play but those I use after a stressful day at work. My Sims are my escape from reality. I enjoy building their houses and things. They come after the housework, errands, hubby etc, which leaves me little time for playing. :(

Buffy, I am sorry your people are so hard hearted that they cant let you enjoy your game without ridicule. :x I have never been able to understand how some people can hurt others over something else. My hubby loves his television, I find it a complete waste of time. Well, except for CSI's and Criminal Minds. He watches poker, cooking and any movie he has already seen. I have my Sims. He used to asked why I played it and I told him, "You know how you escape by watching poker or whatever?"
    "Yeah," he answers
    "Sims are my escape." :-)

Hopefully your people will find it in their heart to leave you be or even come to play Sims themselves....maybe...could happen. :?:

Buffy whenever they get on you to much just come to the forum, you don't even have to post anything, just read through some of them, try to pick the ones that have pix in them, it does help.

• Options
    TtnFn04TtnFn04 Posts: 1,727 New Member
    edited November 2010
    Yahtzami wrote:

THIS ^^^^
  • Options
    BrandieLeighBrandieLeigh Posts: 627 Member
    edited November 2010
    I'm a mother that sims too. I sims mostly when my daughter is at school or in bed. Some times she and I play together and we make up stories about what is going on and build houses together.

I don't really talk about the game with my friends because it's not a common interest. I think here is a good place to discuss it because the people here are all fans. People who don't play just don't understand what a stress reliever and creative outlet it can be.